Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Vintage Car Identification : Ireland 1936

mattkeenanmattkeenan Member Posts: 3
edited November 2015 in General

This photo was taken circa. 1936 in rural ireland. I'd love to identify the car in the background, if anyone has any idea I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Matt
Tagged:

Comments

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    edited November 2015
    Mid - '30s Austin 12?

• magnettemagnette Member Posts: 4,150
    edited November 2015

This photo was taken circa. 1936 in rural ireland. I'd love to identify the car in the background, if anyone has any idea I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Matt

I think it is a (British) Ford Y type

I'm guessing you might be related to the people in the photo...
    edited November 2015
    Sorry this one has a grainy photograph... - EDIT -I stuck this one in the wrong place so will put it across to the main page...

I think you're right on the antique, rear window looks like the Ford.
    Did you mean to post the above pic in the mystery car section?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Yeah I think the Ford is right, but man, they are very similar looking. I'm going by the shape of the rear fender as it tapers off and the suicide door hinge you can see in the photo.
    texases said:

I think you're right on the antique, rear window looks like the Ford.
    Did you mean to post the above pic in the mystery car section?

Yes - I've just moved it.

Yeah I think the Ford is right, but man, they are very similar looking. I'm going by the shape of the rear fender as it tapers off and the suicide door hinge you can see in the photo.

There are loads of cars that look like that - the Jowett, the Morris Eight, possibly a Singer - but the Ford looks right I think.
  • mattkeenanmattkeenan Member Posts: 3
    Thanks folks, certainly agree the ford y type looks a perfect match, and yes this is an old family photo !!
    Jowett is plausible but the headlights sit too high and there are no little running lights on the tops of the fenders. Wrong rear fender for a Morris----but alas, I'm not 100% sure either. I'm stickin' with Ford.
  • mattkeenanmattkeenan Member Posts: 3
    Anyone any idea of how much would a Ford Y type have cost back then ?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Wikipedia says one version sold for just £100 in 1937. Apparently brakes weren't included at any price. :)
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    edited November 2015
    I agree it is a Ford, rear window and fender are definitely Ford. Although the old timey cars can look identical, they do have their hallmarks.

Magnette can chime in, but I think a car like that Ford, while not the fanciest, wasn't the cheapest either. It was a solid family car. Think of it as a 1936 Focus :)
    edited November 2015
    stever said:

Wikipedia says one version sold for just £100 in 1937. Apparently brakes weren't included at any price. :)

Joke about the brakes, right? Oh, I see the reference to the Autocar article. They must have been referring to poor brakes. It had mechanical brakes, according to this history of the 'Y':
    http://www.fsoc.co.uk/history.html
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Yeah, "Even by the standards of the time, the UK-built Ford 8, like its major competitor the Austin 7, was found noteworthy for its "almost unbelievable lack of brakes."
    edited November 2015
    If you've ever driven a car with mechanical brakes (like a Model A Ford, or most 30s Fords) you'll know how scary they were. In my friend's Model A, we always use the emergency brake as a stopping aid and we give the car up front a long, long lead.

Typical of Henry Ford's mulish stubbornness. Chrysler had hydraulic braking in 1924! It would be like Ford still putting carburators on their cars in 2010. I'm sure if Henry were alive, they would have.