Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Toyota Solara Convertible - 2004 and Newer

Comments

• Options
    iwantws6iwantws6 Member Posts: 26
    What exactly is the purpose of boots on convertibles? Is it just for appearance?
  • Options
    cbachtellcbachtell Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2005 convertible Solara last May - I honestly don't remember it having the awful odor it does now. I have the leather trimmed seats and have a feeling the odor is coming from the interior. It's not a sulfur odor nor is it musty...just a strong chemical-like odor. (Multiple inside cleanings don't seem to help). Is anyone else having this problem??? I'm to the point I can't stand to drive the darn thing anymore.
  • Options
    mke60mke60 Member Posts: 18
    Hmmm. Good question. I think the boot does add to the appearance of the car, but I also believe it offers protection to the top as well as keeping debris out of the well the top folds down into. I always put the boot on my car anytime I'm going to have the top down for an extended period of time for these reasons. Hope that helped answer your question.
  • Options
    sjharrissjharris Member Posts: 2
    I've noticed the same thing after the car sits outside for awhile. I normally keep it in a garage but left it at an airport last week for about 5 night. As soon as I got in I noticed the oder. It cleared after a while. I noticed a few times last summer after it set in the sun with the top up and thought it was associated with the cloth top. It's not been a problem.
  • Options
    sjharrissjharris Member Posts: 2
    I thought the shifting option on an automatic was a gimmick until I drove through the mountains in Wyoming. Downshifting was a great way to use the engine for breaking on the downhills.
  • Options
    rplace781rplace781 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 06 Solara Conv I bought last may. It has all options on it including Satellite Radio, Nav, Remote start and a Guidepoint System. If I leave the car at the airport for two weeks or more The battery goes dead and I have to jump the car. The dealer replaced the Guidepoint saying it was drawing 200ma at rest and it was killing the battery. After replacing the Guidepoint, I still have the same problem and the dealer says their nothing wrong with the car and he can’t fix it. Dose anyone else have this problem?
  • Options
    masksavmasksav Member Posts: 13
    what is guidepoint?
  • Options
    biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    Take it to another dealer. It's still under warranty and any Toyota dealer should be able to handle this.

Something is drawing extra juice from the battery while it sits. This is not normal (not to that extent). You need a dealer, probably a large one, who has enough certified mechanics capable of doing electrical testing.

If you don't get a repaired car from the second dealer write to Toyota's corporate offices.
  • Options
    meegwellmeegwell Member Posts: 67
    Test drove the Solara Convertable. Loved everything about the car except for the rear end visibility. I'm not much for parking "by feel". I'm used to the rear end back-up sensors in my current vehicle. Anyone been able to get a rear end camera or back-up system for their Solara?

meegwell
  • Options
    ckb2004ckb2004 Member Posts: 11
    I finally had to get a lawyer to get this situation taken care of. I was refused warranty work twice for the top. It has a design flaw. Apparently alot of us are having to do this. Keep your paper work and file a dispute per your warranty book. Then be prepared to duke it out. wonder if any of the men out there are having problems getting their warranty work done???
  • Options
    There is a tech service bulletin for the front end on the 2004-2006 solara. this has been a major problem for Toyota. Have your dealership check into the bulletin
  • Options
    There is a tech service bulletin for the 2004-2006 solaras have your dealership check this out. Front end problems seem to be a problem for Toyota.
  • Options
    harley9harley9 Member Posts: 1
    Hey I have the same car (2005 Solara SLE Convertible) and I have the same problem with paint chipping also...I sent a company survey back to Toyota about this problem but they never responded...wonder if they will ever do anything about it...
  • Options
    autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    Just an off topic thought. The tC and solara use the old camry's 2.4 I4 right? Does this mean the next model year tC and solara will get a new I4 from this new camry? :confuse: This has been bugging me. The I4 is strong but needs a little more oomph (more being keyword).
  • Options
    I doubt anything will be done about it. Based on the posts here, this doesn't appear to be a wide spread problem. As for me, it has been months since I have had to touch up a paint chip. I guess the paint has finally "set up" on my car, if that is the right term.
  • Options
    niki4niki4 Member Posts: 13
    any success on getting deals? if so, what terms - price, model, dealer name & location? would be willing to travel for good deal and to get the one that i want. i am located in CT area and was hard to even find 1 to test drive, so dealers wont talk price at all and have bad attitude - telling me that unlikely chances of getting color choice, 1 guy quoted price but then said the only one he could get was $600 higher (supposedly for upgraded floor mats). thx.
  • Options
    What color are you looking for? I've been doing some searches on local (No. Va.) Toyota dealer sites. Looks like Lunar Mist and Cosmic Blue are pretty easy to find, Absolutely Red once in a while, always with a dark upholstery. So far I have not seen any in the combination I would want, Absolutely Red with Ivory Leather, with stability control.

Carpet mats are listed as being a $186 (MSRP) option, so $600 seems out of line, unless there's something else along with the mats.

If you're looking for a somewhat uncommon color, it might take you a while. Maybe you could look on-line at dealer websites at an increasing radius from where you live until you find something.

You might have to think on whether you're willing to compromise at all, and if so, do you want to compromise on color, on options, or on price. If you're willing to travel, though, you should be able to find exactly what you want somewhere, with patience and a willingness to jump once you see it.
  • Options
    thx. looking for blue or silver. in CT, very few available at all.
  • Options
    Wow, totally the opposite here. Blue and silver are all over the place. What colors are most common in CT?

Maybe you should plan a weekend trip to Virginia. ;)

What trim, SE or SLE?
  • Options
    I just did a search of three sites, darcars, alexandriatoyota, and kjtoyota. Found 4 black SE's, 5 black SLE's, 6 red SLE's, 1 blue SLE, 1 silver SE, 3 silver SLE's (all at kjtoyota), 2 Arctic Frost SE's, and 1 Art. Frost SLE.

Found one red with ivory, my desired combo, but didn't say whether it had stability control or not. I won't buy anything until after I've tested the Volvo I have my eye on anyway, but interesting to look.
  • Options
    rscott77xrscott77x Member Posts: 6
    With this car, especially in non winter months, getting bids on the Internet is the only way you will every get a decent price. I sent out requests for quotes last
    September/October every Friday until a got a deal of $1,800 off the car I wanted. I got an email in the morning and called the dealer around 9:00 AM. They said their car was just sold! But, they would find another one for me. 20 minutes later they called and said there was one in a city about 30 miles away and they were on their way to get it. They faxed me a contract and took my credit card number. The next day, a Saturday, I picked up the car and was in and out in an hour and a half. Stay away from the vultures on the sales floor!
  • Options
    I found Kay Jennings Springfield Toyota a great dealership. They are very friendly and helpful and gave me the best price on the car. Alexandria Toyota is on my way to work, but they just seem a little rough on the customer relations side. So, I drive all the way to Springfield to get the car serviced.
  • Options
    Most likely, you are experiencing a dried out nasal passage. I have the same probelms where my nose "remembers" odors-always bad- when they are gone a long time. Get some saline nasal spray and spray your nose for a day and see if it disappears.
  • Options
    i requested rate quote from several different sites (including toyota) all of which ask for your zip code - the tristate area dealers refuse to quote on email and often on phone too. i received about 5 emails just asking for my telephone # or w/deceptive ads (i.e. special financing on solaras (however it excludes convertibles). very annoying. waste of time.
  • Options
    bsramzybsramzy Member Posts: 6
    does anyone know if you can play dvd movies on the nav system screen?
  • Options
    bakerguybakerguy Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a '05 SLE convertible and this was my only complaint. I removed the leather head rests.There is a metal rollbar under it. I have to have some finishing done on it,but it sure makes abig difference to back up.The leather casing can be put back on at anytime. This was just my quick solution , either that or get ride of the car.I chose the quick solution. :)
  • Options
    larrymitlarrymit Member Posts: 80
    Not on my 2004 Solara with NAV.
  • Options
    I just ordered my 2006 solara sle conv. I had to put $500 dollars down for them to get the process going, which is fine by me. But I am concerned that if for some reason the vehicle does NOT turn out right (wrong features, scratched, etc.) would I have the right to take my money back or is that money a "finders fee" ?
  • Options
    jack15jack15 Member Posts: 25
    How much ? Where did you buy ? I'm wondering how much under invoice they are willing to go on these things.
  • Options
    i bought it from lakeside toyota in metairie, la. I did not pay under invoice, i dont know of anyone who can with a car like this
  • Options
    in boston & nyc area, best quote on SE was 26700 and SLE was 28,400 (w/convenience package which seems to be standard on all models). also watch out for dealer charges - ranging from 95 to 500 in some places.
  • Options
    legaleagle1legaleagle1 Member Posts: 2
    I am about to buy a solara convertible SLE. Before buying a 2006, I want to know when the 2007 is expected. No dealer will tell me, although I understand they are not taking any more orders for 2006. I was hoping the 2007 would have done something about the visibility out the back window. Perhaps lower the rear head rests. Any advice.
  • Options
    h20randyh20randy Member Posts: 21
    I just bought a new '06 cosmic blue SLE convt. I used Costco new car program and paid $1000 over invoice total (+tx and lic). The dealer told me that the '07 Solara are not due until October.
  • Options
    madtippermadtipper Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone know were the fuse is for the fog lights had to bring it back to the dealer to get them fix they won't tell me were the fuse is. :confuse:
  • Options
    legaleagle1legaleagle1 Member Posts: 2
    which COSTCO did you buy it from. For the totally uninformed, is $1000 over invoice a good price. Theprice I got quoted for a SLE 2006 with stability control and a windscreen was $500 off sticker.
  • Options
    The Costco program is national and they will look up a dealer(s) in your area, with your concurrence as to which one(s), contact the fleet mgr with your authorization number. Then the dealer contacts you. I found the $1000 over invoice much better then trying to discount off of MSRP. I might have done better with discounts on my own if it wasn't a highly sought after vehicle. If you have a Costco membership you are eligible for the auto program. The Costco web site has the details. I purchased in Seattle.
  • Options
    natenj1971natenj1971 Member Posts: 174
    Anyone with a 2006 Se convertible able to get ivory cloth interior? I can only find cars with charcoal cloth interior.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Does anyone have any good experiences with a product to care for rag top maintenance? For interior leather and carpet? I just purchased a new 2006 and the dealer tried to sell me their package sealant/conditioning care for all interior and exterior fabric/leather/carpet with replacement guarantee. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    I use a product called RaggTop which you can purchase in auto supply stores or via the internet. They make a protectant and cleaner for your top. I have used the protectant on my tan top for a full year now and it still looks brand new. I have the cleaner product as well but have never had to use it yet (well, just once to clean some bird droppings off). For my interior leather, I use a product I purchased at an auto supply store. I can't remember the brand name, but it does a great job. I think the key is to go with a high quality product designed for the specific cleaning job you have. Enjoy your new car!
  • Options
    id really like to know the name of the product you use on the interior leather. This is my first car that i have ever owned with leather seats and want to keep them from fading/cracking. also, how often do you apply it??
  • Options
    chats1chats1 Member Posts: 158
    I don't have a toyota, but a 2006 grand prix gxp and on all my cars with leather inside I always used the Armoral Leather Wipes. It worked fine, never any cracking, etc., and the seats always looked brand new. If fact when I traded my 2002 GTP in in August it was in "superior" condition. I would use the wipes every few months. Also, to clean my inside mats I used Woolite mixed with water and a sponge. It worked perfectly. I found the auto carpet cleaners just push the dirt around. I'm on this site because my next car just might be a Solara Convertible. I don't know yet. I won't be ready for three years.
  • Options
    chats1chats1 Member Posts: 158
    Of course, you would have the right to get your money back if the car that you ordered is not what you signed the contract for. I assume that if you gave them $500 you signed a contract. If the car comes in with something that you didn't order, but are willing to take, then make them give it to you at their cost or refuse and tell them that that is their problem, not yours, that wasn't included in the contract you signed and I'm not paying for it. Don't be intimated by them. Not a cent more or threaten to break the contract at their expense since you signed the contract and the car came in with what you didn't want. Check it over completely before you give them a check and drive away. Make sure everything works, check under the hood, trunk, etc. and of course, body. If there are any scratches, I wouldn't take possession of the car or give them a check until the dealer fixes it to your satisfaction. I purchased a new 2006 GXP in August, signed the contract on a Mon., picked up the car on Thurs., their contract price was different than my signed contract. A difference of $145.00. The salesman forgot to put in the clerical fees. I said "tough." I am only paying for what is on the contract I signed on Mon. and that was that. So, I gave them the check for the amount on Monday's contract. It was their loss.
  • Options
    beatwinbeatwin Member Posts: 1
    Should be at dealers in July if you can wait. Dunno what is new or improved, but willing to bet the new 3.5L engine will be in it, as all Toyota NA vehicles are phasing it in with vehicle launches. Will be worth the wait alone.
  • Options
    Meguiars is the product I use on my leather interior. I have been applying every 5 to 6 months as my car is parked in a garage both at work and home.
  • Options
    I'll be picking up my new Solara SLE later this week. Is there a consensus on the proper way to break-in a new car.

I was told by an acquaintance who races cars that for the engine I should keep the car under 60 miles an hour for the first 500 miles and then really push it for the next 500 miles. For the brakes, avoid hard stops for the full 1000 miles. I haven't seen the Toyota manual yet; it's in the car.

Your thinking.

Thanks,
    Meegwell
  • Options
    larrymitlarrymit Member Posts: 80
    I was always told not to drive a new car for too long a period at one speed...rather vary the speed every few minutes. This rules out long trips right after delivery. Supposedly, the varied speeds help the rings seat properly and avoid excessive oil consumption. After a 1,000 miles or so, you can drive normally.

Admittedly this advice is 40 years old, and I don't know if anything about engine design has made it outmoded.
  • Options
    Thanks larrymit.

Meegwell
  • Options
    watch out - costco prices are regionally based. cant get the same deal everywhere. for RI/MA area (not many costcos here), the best costco auto program price was MSRP less 1k, which ended up $1800 higher than other dealers. the costco price was the price you would get if you first walk in to dealer and dont do any negotiating.
  • Options
    best price in new englad for SE was 26,700 and SLE was 28,500.
  • Options
    natenj1971natenj1971 Member Posts: 174
    Hi,

I've visted a dealer in FL (west palm beach area) and $41k was the best price he would give me for a 2006 Solara SLE convertible. His reasoning was that there will only be 500 available in the area. So my question is can anyone recommend a dealer where they aren't charging a $12k markup.

Thanks.