Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

GM C/K 2500 Crew Cab Short Box

Comments

• Options
    powerisfunpowerisfun Member Posts: 358
    What color is your truck? (just kidding)
    You made a good choice. The 454 is a torque-monster (check out the torque curve for it
    and other GM engines on www.gmpowertrain.com ). Considering that it's so huge, the gas mileage really isn't all that bad either. I'd love to have one in my truck, only they weren't available in the half-tons (that's probably a good thing).
    I always wondered why GM didn't make a Vortec 400. That would have been a nice powerful, small package. The 350 is nothing to complain about, though.
    That sounds like quite a boat you have there.
    I've never been to the Berlin Reservoir (sp?), but I've driven past it a lot. I'm in New Mexico now, by the way, but I grew up in the suburbs of Youngstown. The rest of my family is still there and I go see them at least twice a year.
    Anyway, enjoy your new truck.
    -powerisfun
  • Options
    mesquitebeanmesquitebean Member Posts: 15
    Since June 10 1999 Ive been waiting for this day, My big, blue truck is in my garage tonite. I may be like the used Lexus commercial and just stare at it. I can hardly believe it! Hold On!! ...............Yeah, its still there! Well gotta take another spin.
  • Options
    bowhuntwibowhuntwi Member Posts: 262
    Was looking thru Peterson's 4 wheel & off road, and on page 22 was the 2001 pic of the 2500 GMC
    Crew Cab.
  • Options
    htown2htown2 Member Posts: 1
    I got my '99 crew cab s/b in Nov '98. I was lucky - my brother works in finance at a Chevy dealership and found what I wanted in about an hour - light pewter, 3.73, 350, captains chairs. Got 27K on it now - average about 13.5/gal(the K&N air filter added a mile/gallon).

I tinted the windows and added a brush guard, Westin step bars, and custom wheels. Also had an alarm installed. I really love this truck!

Apparently someone else wanted it as well. Last December I found the window broken out of the rear driver door. Police suspect they were trying to steal the truck and ran when the alarm went off.

The funny part of the story is that a '99 F250 CC S/B was 15 feet away. Seems they didn't even look at it!!!
  • Options
    suburbank2500suburbank2500 Member Posts: 29
    Boy you guys are great! I've read almost every response, and learned a lot. My question: when considering a cc/lb 4x4 3500 454 auto tranny with a 4.10 rear end, does the dually option help or hurt in towing, handling, stability,etc?
  • Options
    myredtruckmyredtruck Member Posts: 5
    Like anything else only you know how you will use the truck.

The Dually will definitely provide a firmer stance
    if towing large 5th wheel trailers or a large slide in camper.

I gave serious thought to buying a dually off the dealers lot when I found out how difficult these crew cabs are to find, not to mention finding someone willing to deal on one. I suppose you can never have too much truck.

My decision came from maneuverability. I park in a
    garage downtown. The short bed crew cab is a hand full sometimes. Also didn't want to steer around the card readers every day.

Drive one thru an ATM machine and park it in your garage and see if it's a problem for you or not.

Just my opinion, Like a belly button, everybody has ONE!

Good Luck in your purchase.

MyRedTruck
  • Options
    Thanks myredtruck for the response.
    Another question: Gas prices are going UP!
    So,a) Who makes the GM Diesel, CAT/Detroit/GM?
    b) Is it any good?

thanks
  • Options
    rooproop Member Posts: 4
    someone tell me, I thinking of paying cash for 3500 CC 4x4 convenience pkg, lock dif, trilor eqp, skid plts, hvy dty spr, something about the tires for 26,810 plus tax. It this a good price?

ROOPSTER
  • Options
    ROOPSTER,
    Need to know
    Year of the truck
    Mileage (if it's a used truck)
    350,454 or diesel engine
    Auto vs. manual tranny
    dually vs. non-dually

Take what you posted, and the above
    punch it into either www.kbb.com or check it out
    on edmunds.com
  • Options
    nverdinanverdina Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the market, and actively trying to order or find a 1999 c2500 crew cab. I live in Houston and have tried contacting 10 Chevy dealers and no one would order that truck and only a couple had them in stock but not what I was looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially from anyone in my region.
  • Options
    rooproop Member Posts: 4
    Its new 2000 with 11 miles. I have been driving it for 2 days and have not signed the papers. It has a small block 350 and drinks the gas but I wanted a big truck Gets about 11 mpg. I wanted a Tundra but for the price, it 2 times a truck that the over priced Tundra, even though thats what I wanted once again.
  • Options
    m1685m1685 Member Posts: 71
    Is it a dually? What is the sticker price? If it has the LS package ( I think they started calling it that on the old bodystyles), and an auto tranny, I say pretty good price. But tell us the sticker and some more options.
  • Options
    veitenhansveitenhans Member Posts: 2
    Greetings. Would anyone mind schooling this rookie on advice in purchasing new GMC? I'm in the market for a crew cab, 2wd or 4wd, not sure yet of engine size, options, etc. Is the Sierra crew cab the same as the c and k 2500? I realize the c is 2wd and k is 4wd. Not Worthy Yet.
  • Options
    Helo There, MyRedTruck Here.

I think you need to tell us a little about what you want to use the truck for to discuss the
    Power Plant, and what options you need help on
    choosing(necessary or just fun to have!)

I started out looking at the new series truck looking for a 4 door, none were out yet.
    To the best of my knowledge the new series does
    not offer a crew cab yet.(maybe 2001)

The family loves the crew cab, lots of room.
    Just starting to dress mine up, nerf bars,tonneau,
    hood deflector etc. having fun,it's starting to look even better.

Let us know,

MyRedTruck
  • Options
    veitenhansveitenhans Member Posts: 2
    Hi MyRedTruck,

thanks for the response. I'm going to use the truck for travel, carrying motorcycles, pulling a small trailer if need be, may add a camper.

options I want: trailer package along with as many options i can get for comfort. I realize the new body crew cab isn't out yet. that's ok because I like the classic better.

I'm seeking feedback on the different engines and options that may or may not be good or ones that are a must. I haven't yet decided whether to go 2wd or 4wd, or whether to go above a 5.7. Gas mileage and truck price aren't really a problem, i just want to buy the best gmc i can. I don't want a "dually". Also what wheels do you think are the best, chrome or aluminum?

thanks for all the help

Pete
  • Options
    Hi Pete, Larry Here,

I guess the good news is your open to many options.(since these trucks can be hard to find!)

Most important is the power plant. The 5.7 will
    get you tow capacity of 6800 in 4x4 7100 in 2wd
    with 3.73 gears or 8300/8600 with 4.10. Which
    sounds like more than you need. For now anyway!

The 5.7 would have been sufficient for me today towing 5,000 lbs. If you add a slide in truck camper and figuring my 20' boat might grow to 28' someday I opted for the 7.4 which took me to
    9500 lbs with 3.73 gears(It seems gas prices went up the day I took delivery of myredtruck)

When you say camper, are you talking truck camper?

Depending on where you live 2wd will save you about $3k. I live in Ohio where the winters can be pretty bad, but the 4wd was a luxury/piece of mind issue for me?

As far as the wheels go you only have a steel wheel option and the trim rings with the bright appearance package on the classic.
  • Options
    bucky44bucky44 Member Posts: 19
    First time posting. Does anyone know if (and when) GM is changing the crewcabs to the new bodystyle?? How about the engines; are they going to make the new 5.3L and 6.0L available in the CC's?? Thanks.
  • Options
    twudogstwudogs Member Posts: 1
    The new model cc will be available in fall of 2000. GM will offer the new dynomax diesel and the new 8.1 liter gas. This is going to be one asome truck. The diesel is rated at more hp and torque than both the ford and dodge. I just bought a 2000 K2500 love the truck but the gas mileage is pretty bad about 12 mpg. Otherwise it is a great truck.
  • Options
    Yo! Everyone.
    I know the 350 (5.7) is a great engine, but does the 454 (7.4) do as good in terms of realability?
    Or is the new 8.1 V8 going to be better.

Thank you.
  • Options
    calabriacalabria Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to make the plunge from my rock solid 10 year old 3/4 SB 2WD small block chevy to a new crew cab LB 4X4 SRW. Why you ask.. other than the wife giving me the OK to go out and spend the $$ I need MORE TRUCK. I have a 6000lb boat and plan to purchase a used 11ft 3000lb cab over camper. My two questions are..
    should I really be looking at the chevy diesel or move to the 454? Since gas is over $2.00 in my city I'd like to eek out as much pavement per tank as I can.
    Second question.. since I'll have approx. 3500 lbs as cargo.. what will my max. ttrailorr weight be with the 3500 single rear wheel?

Thannks,
    calabria
  • Options
    buckscrewserbuckscrewser Member Posts: 3
    Hello all! I started looking at the Silverado 2500 a year ago and after chasing them all over Texas only to be told "it was just sold", I test drove a 3500 CC long box. The wife and I loved it bought it and saved 3 grand over the new model. Our "Crewser" had the 5.7, 4:10 rear, and 9000 lb. towing package. Pulls our 27 ft. trailer just fine and everyone is comfortable. Hope to keep it till the new bodied 4 doors have been out a couple of years to get the bugs out. I too still find the classic body much better looking than the new but would like a diesel once Isuzu starts building them. The only annoyance I've had is a right front spring that the dealer can't seem to keep seated in the suspension mount. All is does is occasionally pop but that's it. Was wondering if any of you have experienced anything like this. Take care and keep up the posts I have learned tons from you guys! Remember, we love our big boy toys!
  • Options
    twigboytwigboy Member Posts: 1
    So now I have the most beautiful Meadow Green '99 GMC K3500 Short Bed Crew Cab with the 454 and we love this truck. Only one problem and it is a BIG one. I've read all the posts, but still not seeing the answer. I have one BAD drivetrain vibration between 35 and 45 mph. I have a new driveline, a new tire and wheel (all of them balanced), two new carrier bearings, pinion shaft run-out checked, the rearend has been rotated through a bunch of +- degree angles, and on and on. Still have the vibration. It hasn't even changed. Shakes loose change off the top of the console. I'm not sure where to go from here. I don't really want to give up this beautiful beast, I just want it fixed! Ideas? Thanks
  • Options
    sdooley1sdooley1 Member Posts: 1
    I have ordered a chevy 2500 4x4 ext. cab with the 4th door. It has been an ordeal with the entire process (allocation ect.) However, I have received a build date and have been assured that it is going to happen. My question is how can I speed this process up? I have read comments about e-mailing or calling GM and inquiring about the progress. Any help is appreciated.
  • Options
    btenvybtenvy Member Posts: 43
    I am considering purchasing a 3/4 ton, but have a few questions and have never owned a full-sized. I plan on using the truck to tow a 20 ft. dual-axle utility trailer with a couple of ATV's. Future plans include a 20-24 ft boat. I need some advise on engines that would do the job and the gear ratio. Do I go with the 3.73 or 4.10 what are the differences? Also what is the limited slip differential?
  • Options
    cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    gear ratio tells how many drive shaft revs per wheel revolution. the 4.10 will run your engine at higher rpms, but you will have more pulling power. You will get slightly better mileage with the 3.73 rear end.

For just the ATV's, the 3.73 rear end would do just fine, but depending on what kind of boat, you might want to go ahead and get the 4.10 rear end. I have a vortec 350 with the 4.10 rear end, and i think its a great combo. it pulls excellent. and really, the 3.73 would at best give you one extra mpg.

If you're going to get the 454 engine, then get the 3.73, that engine has all the power you'll ever need.
  • Options
    btenvybtenvy Member Posts: 43
    Thanks that's what I needed to know, its always better to hear from someone who has personal experience.
  • Options
    anonymousanonymous Member Posts: 314
    twigboy, I have a 2000 swb K2500 CC with the 5.7 and 3.73 rear. It sounds like we have had a similar problem with our trucks. The vibration in my truck was worst when slowing down from highway speeds. In the past few weeks GM has replaced the rear drums, rear axle and rear differential on a truck with only 5000 miles. With the replacement of the differential it seems that the vibrations are finally gone. I can't tell you exactly what the cause was but replacing the differential seems to have made the most noticeable difference. The dealership service rep was a big help in solving this for me and ended up contacting the regional gm rep to finally get this resolved. No matter how helpful they are though, it is extremely frustrating to have problems like these with these trucks. Good luck.
  • Options
    page3page3 Member Posts: 54
    Got a look at new trucks at the races. Jeff Gordon was riding around in the back. Guess they wanted to show them off.
  • Options
    Page
    Were those the new HD's????? I thought they were extended cabs.

I had a few beers.....
  • Options
    page3page3 Member Posts: 54
    Yep, I believe so. I first noticed the higher hood. They changed it a little.Then I saw the second door handle. There were some x-cabs also.

Ed
  • Options
    ponyladyponylady Member Posts: 2
    Hi Everyone,

I'm having one heck of a time finding a 3/4 ton, SLE or Silverado pkg, 4x4, ext.cab, shortbed, tow pkg, automatic with a 350. I've been looking for a 96 or newer but now I'm almost considering new. I would like to get an engine that would hopefully get at least 17mpg but still have towing power.

Could anyone give me feedback on what they would recommend, new or used and also what engine? I will be using it to pull a gooseneck horse trailer along with just driving to work...I can't stand small cars.

Thanks,
    ponylady
  • Options
    I think you will have trouble finding used exactly what you want.

You probably won't get any new 3/4 ton gas burners that get 17 mpg. depending on the weight you are pulling, you could get a Ford with the 5.4 or Chevy w/5.3 in the 1/2 ton version and get 18 empty in the Ford and up to 20 empty in the Chevy. sounds like you need a 3/4 ton.

in 3/4 tons, you can get the current Silverado extended cab with 6.0. that truck has the best pulling power/ride/roominess in its particular class. it would get about 15 or 16 mpg empty. The Ford Superduty 250 with the 5.4 would probably get about 15 mpg, but would not be as roomy and might not ride as well as the Silverado 2500. The 5.4 would not pull as well as the 6.0 either.

If you want to step up to the crew cab models, Ford CC's are very available right now, GM crew cabs are not. you could step up to the Ford v10 in the Ford, but would get 13 maybe 14 if your lucky, for your best mileage. The 5.4 in the Ford Crewcab would probably get about the same mileage +1.

GM's new crew cabs are introduced this fall. If you want a crew cab with the 6.0 and the current 4L80 tranny, that would be the base configuration for the new GM series, so you might get a decent brand new price for it. i would expect deliveries to be pretty hot for a couple of months when they get introduced.

I would recommend the current Silverado 2500 ex. cab with 6.0 and automatic. I think it would be your best mix of an everyday driver and weekend heavy hauler.
  • Options
    i meant to say in my first sentence you will probably have a hard time finding a used truck that exactly fits what you want.
  • Options
    ponyladyponylady Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for all the info! Yes, it's been very hard finding a used truck to meet these requirements. I just hate spending $30k on a gas engine truck.
    Have you heard a date yet of when the Chevy diesel is coming out? I already have the powerstroke, great truck. If I can't find something soon, I might have to bite the bullet and get a used F250 with a powerstroke. I really enjoyed the Chevy I used to have, they seem a lot more comfortable to drive.
  • Options
    The new Chevy diesel is coming out this fall. In fact you can probably go to the dealer right now and get on the waiting list, I think they are taking orders.

You should definitely ask about lead times. The new Chevrolet may have long delivery times depending on your area and your dealer size. So if your needs are immediate, it may be best to find a used F250--there should be a few of those floating around.
  • Options
    zeesevenonezeesevenone Member Posts: 3
    To the person with the 99 GMC Meadow Green K3500, have your dealer or a suspension shop check the balance on the driveshaft. It is balanced like your rims with little weights welded to the driveshaft. Vibrations while driving are normally caused by rotating masses--you probably already checked the balance of the tires and the rear end differential parts. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    suburbansrulesuburbansrule Member Posts: 34
    Clay sounds like an interesting problem. I'm a real big fan of the 454 motor. Currently own a 99 burb and a 97 ext cab both 4x4 w/454's both great trucks. There are a lot or reasons your truck could be vibrating without talking to you I'm going to take a real stab in the dark. It's possible that you could have the wrong flywheel on your 454 (all 454's have to have a balanced flywheel, because their externally balanced) or possibly you could have spun your harmonic balancer pulley from the rubber housing which will throw the engine out of balance. I'd like to talk to you more about it my e-mail is listed under my name, suburbansrule, e-mail me your phone number and I'll give you a call or send me an e-mail and I'll give you my # good luck
  • Options
    hoeselhoesel Member Posts: 1
    Just took possession of my 2000 gmc 3/4 x-cab sle 4x4. I also had ordered in january. What a sweet truck ! Have 6000 series motor, 3:73 gears,auto.Only have 50 miles so far, but is quite a change from my 96 gmc 1/2,x-cab. Really is quiet inside, seems real torque'y also turning ratio is real quick. I already upgraded to lt265 tires , the lt245 looked small in the wheel wells.
  • Options
    1999gap1999gap Member Posts: 2
    I bought truck last week and already have close to 3000 miles on it. What an awesome truck so far. Truck has 4.10 gears with the automatic transmission. Drove mostly intestate at close to 85 mph. The complete trip I never got less than 13.9 MPG and got up to 14.4 MPG!!! Extremely happy with the mileage and the power. This was with about 600-700 pounds in the truck. Loaded my Lance camper last night for the first time to see how it would handle the weight and it did great. I will be installing airbags in the near future to handle the weight of the camper. Also will probably be changing out the tires to either 265's or 285's before the end of the summer. Anyone out there have any experience with the 285's.
  • Options
    jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    I got my 2500 SLT 2wd 3 weeks ago. I had a '96 Ext Cab SLE that I bought new, but I blew out the rear diff at 51K. Got it fixed and bought the new EC 4door with HD Towing. Man, this truck is such an amazing improvement over the '96. The brakes are awesome, and the 6.0l has got to have the flatest torque curve I have ever felt. I haven't gotten down on it as I only have 600miles, but the pull is so rock solid and even as you go up through the gears it is hard to believe. I loved my '96, but this thing is an animal. BTW, everyone thinks it is a 4WD because the 2500 with HD suspension for towing sits about 3" higher than a 1500 Z71.
  • Options
    gettinexcited1gettinexcited1 Member Posts: 4
    Hey tow-heads, first poster here. thanks for all the info from all you lucky folks who already have your new trucks. I could use some advice on a new purchase. I want a gas 2wd crewcab short box. My future max load might be double trailers (legal here in California).This would be small 5th wheel and small boat, maybe up to 5000lbs i'm guessin. Here's where I need the help. I'm leaning toward holding out for the new silverado 2500HD. I realize there will be a hefty wait but I dont actually need until next summer. I also like the ford SD 250, v-10. This will be for 20-30% tow use rest daily driver. I'd like 3:73 gears and suspect the v-10 will pull these. How 'bout the new 6.0L on the chevy HD. Would I need to go 4:10 for this motor or jump up to the next big v-8. While I realize I wont pass many gas stations in any of these trucks I would like to not overkill my motor choice unless necessary. Another point I ponder is choosing the more proven ford or risk the first year production on the Chevy. Thanks!
  • Options
    ingleingle Member Posts: 1
    We are looking at purchasing a 91' Silverado 2500 extended cab. We have checked with Edmunds for a price and the dealer price seems fair (8,ooo) out the door. the odometer reads 106,000. We are planning to pull our 19ft. trailer with it and use it to and from work. Has anyone out there had any experience with this type of truck or have any advice for us?
  • Options
    gettinexcited1

If you want an old style Chevy CrewCab, you're going to have to scramble to get one. i'm betting they are getting hard to find as production ends.

There will be a wait for the new HD's, but if you aren't in great need, it should be worth it. The 6.0 will probably pull your needs fine, but i'm not sure if you can get anything but the 4.10 gear in the new GM's. I think they only offer the 3.73 with the diesel, so check. The 8.1 will be an incredibly powerful engine and shouldn't ever leave you wishing for more. It actually should get decent mileage while not towing, since they have the 'economy' setting you can turn on.

Risks: some risks in first year models. I would feel confident, someone else might not. Engines should be great. GM tests the hell out of their engines, so don't worry about those.

You can probably get a Ford Superduty CC with v10 right away, if you wanted it. The first year Chevy's are going to be more expensive than Ford also--but you get a little more. Test drive a Ford, and then a new Chevy, if you can find one. The Ford is proven and is fully capable.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input. I'll be watching close as info emegerges on the new silverado HD.
  • Options
    lest2lest2 Member Posts: 3
    CHANCE TO BUY A 98 SILVERADO CK2500 EXT-CAB 4X4
    52000 MILES POW-LOCKS,POW-MIRRORS,POW-WINDOWS,TOW
    PACK,BEDLINER,AM/FM CASS,CRUISE,P/S,5.7L GAS,5-SPEED AUTOMATIC $19000 BEFORE TAX & TITLE
    OR
    98 CHEYENNE CK2500 4X4 EXT-CAB 8FT BED:P/S,POW-SEAT DRIVER ONLY,AM/FM CASS,5.7L GAS 26000 MILES
    FOR $20,000 BEFORE TAX TITLE
    FINAL ANSWER?
    HELP TRUCK GENIUSES
  • Options
    Hey Hank, I just took delivery of a 2000 c/k2500 2wd crewcab shortbed. Has ls package w/454. I dont have the answer to your question about haw many made but I was wondering how yours has worked out so far. I just got mine in Calif. and only have 70 miles so far. I would like to hear about yours.
  • Options
    hankincincyhankincincy Member Posts: 2
    Glad to here from you. My crew cab is doing great. I put about 500 miles on it this weekend. I had to drive around with the tail gate down though. I've ordered a Snuglid for it and hopefully it will arrive by this weekend. My truck has leather power buckets, cd, and LS package. The 454 is kind of disappointing. I changed the stock air filter to an Airaid with a K&N last night. I have not had a chance to test it out. Next I'm going to lower it and install a Gibson exhaust. I wish Edelbrock made a cam and intake for our 454's. I had a friend with a '90 454SS who put Edelbrock heads, and intake on his truck. It was a screamer. Keep me updated about your truck.
  • Options
    jaydog1jaydog1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking of selling my Crew Cab 4x4. It is a 99 with 25000 miles. Loaded with power windows, doorlocks, tilt, cruise, leather power seats, pioneer elite cd head unit with 9 speakers and 2 amps. Snugtop Top Gun Camper shell with oversize cooper all terrains on the coolest aluminum rims you've ever seen on a crew cab. On board computer with MP3 Player, GPS and Fax Modem, 128 MEG RAM and a Touch Screen. $30,000 or best offer. Have to sell it to get a new car for my new wife. Hurry this one won't last.
  • Options
    Hey thanks for the response. I'm interested to hear how your mods went. I'm planning k&n as well with magnaflow exhaust. Mine's goin the opposite direction however, I'm giving it a mild lift.I know what you mean about the 454 being a little anti-climatic> my previous 5.4lit ford v-8 would take this thing off the line. I hear where you feel it is when towing a load. I'm still breaking in so I haven't romped it yet. Part of our prob is probably gears. Are you running 3:73 as well? Guy I work with did exhaust/air filter on a 6.0 liter chevy, said it didn't take off until he did the variable programmable power chip. Big diff apparently. Might be worth a try.
  • Options
    ddyrsethddyrseth Member Posts: 1
    I have a choice of either engine, both are long beds with 4.10 gears and automatics. The rig will be used to haul a 9 1/2 foot camper on weekends & for a week or two during the summer months. I have test driven both and can't really tell much difference. The loaded camper will weigh around 3500lbs. If I get the 350 I will do a K & N with a dual catback system. What do the rest of you truckers think ??
This discussion has been closed.