Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus RX 330 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    evbevb Member Posts: 2
    My headlights have been stolen two times in 6 months of having this vehicle. The first time it happened 7 hours after driving it off the lot. To top it off I was 6 months pregnant and left to take the train in NYC. I am trying to gather people like me who have been a victim of Lexus's indifference, to initiate a class action lawsuit in NYC, hopefully headed by the attorney general, Eliot Spitzer. Any feedback...
  • Options
    evbevb Member Posts: 2
    I am definetly interested in a lawsuit.
  • Options
    pilot130pilot130 Member Posts: 319
    Evb,I'm curious why you insist Lexus be sued because somebody stole your headlights?
    Is Lexus the guilty party in your opinion, or are you just thinking it would be great if you could recover the cost from somebody?
    I had a tailgate stolen from my 2004 Siverado.
    Should I sue GM?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Maybe for the same reason New Jersey sued Nissan for not warning Maxima owners that their headlights are easy to steal? (Japan Today).

No soliciting on Edmunds, btw, including asking for people to join you in a suit. Thanks,

Steve, Host
  • Options
    jim262jim262 Member Posts: 2
    This new service bulletin, what does it say to correct the problem(s). I'm taking my 04 RX330 in next week for other problems and want to be sure what I want to say to them. Thanks!!
  • Options
    Steve:
    I'm not asking anybody to do anything of the kind.
    IMO, that's a totally frivolous lawsuit.
    Some Tort Lawyer's latest brain fart to make a buck!
    Or someone's idea of a joke.
    Maybe a manifestation of a disturbing trend "Sue to live and live to sue" which seems to be a growth industry these days!
    We don't know the outcome of the NJ fiasco, but if it wasn't thrown out of court, it should have been.
    Another thought......
    When will somebody go Class Action against the Federal Govt. for issueing money and not having a disclosure printed on it--like "You should be aware money is something that thieves find attractive!!"
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I don't think a State (or Provincial for that matter) AG would bring a law suit of that type lightly, and I don't see that there's much political hay to be made for suing Nissan over it to benefit a relatively few owners. There may be some tort lawyers suing over the headlights issue too, but I just did a five second net search on the issue.

A better place to continue this would be the Stolen Headlights!! discussion.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    With all due respect to Steve and Edmunds, IMO, discussions about sueing automakers when thieves steal things from vehicles should be a topic for "Ripley's Believe It Or Not".

No intention to continue the discussion, but might go to "Stolen Headlights" from time to time just to get a chuckle! Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    If I were going to sue someone for stolen HID headlights it would be their "pawnshop"....EBAY!
  • Options
    newlexusownernewlexusowner Member Posts: 7
    Any recommendations on removing dark/black wear marks on seating areas, lower back and arm rest of leather seats? Also the leather is not as soft any more. I'm wondering if its caused by clothing or even use of heated seats. Its not coming out, I've use Mequire's leather cleaner and its not working. Mines a 2004 RX330. It only has about 19K miles so I'm wondering why the leather does not wear so good.
  • Options
    bhoward99bhoward99 Member Posts: 27
    My wife and I spent a few hours yesterday dealing and test driving a Lexus RX330. We test drove 3 cars, 2 new FWD cars with only 10 miles on them, and 1 2004 with 40000 miles (used).

We noticed that when we dove both the new RX330
    that there was stuttering or hestitation that we felt when gently applying gas. We noticed the hestitation or stuttering of the car as we were exiting the highway or coming to a stop light,etc.
    Slowing down or coasting then applying gas to get the rest of the way to the light or stop sign.

The problem seemed intermittent, and was wondering if this was just because the cars were new, with only 11 miles ? Has anybody else
    notice this ? It did not appear to happen all the time.
  • Options
    For ALL Toyota and Lexus FWD V6 vehicles.

Lots of complaints about engine hesitation of up to 1 to 2 seconds upon depression of the gas pedal after (short, brief??) coastdown period.

So far both Toyota and Lexus are saying that it's operating as designed, when you can get them to admit the "problem" even exists.
  • Options
    jwnjwn Member Posts: 2
    Looking to purchase either the Goodyear Eagle RS-A P235/55R/18"

or the

Michelin Energy MXV4 S8

The original Goodyear tires wear too much on the outside edges quickly and have a 220 traction rating, whereas the Michelins have a 440 rating and the preference ratings are higher for comfort, noise levels, snow and wet weather, etc. Has any made the switch, and if so, was it an improvement?
  • Options
    bhoward99bhoward99 Member Posts: 27
    Thank you for the response..

The dealer claims that there is a break-in period where the car is 'learning' your driving habits since the electronic transmission is being managed by a micro-processor. I am curious to know if once the RX330 does get some
    miles on it whether or not the hestitation or stuttering goes away ?
  • Options
    jwnjwn Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have any experience with the 6 disc CD changer showing "Error 4" messages infrequently. Is this a chip problem that requires a visit to the dealer?
  • Options
    lexrx330lexrx330 Member Posts: 3
    does anyone know the programming instructions to a duplicate key with a master key... please email me at newyork55555@msn.com if you have any ideas
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    please email me at ****@****.*** if you have any ideas

Please keep the discussion here. To do otherwise defeats the purpose of a message board which is to share information, experiences and views.

tidester, host
  • Options
    tomjavatomjava Member Posts: 136
    Thank you very much for the info.
  • Options
    dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    Dealer said the PARK problem was part of the recall we got a month+ ago. I didn't read it thoroughly but it seemed to talk about the brake lights. . .anyhow, it's working fine. Had a dash rattle (front right dash). They had a TSB on it Pulled the whole thing and re-insulated. That seems to be fixed too. Had a new RX to drive for 2 days while it was repaired. Who can complain about that! That's why we buy these darn cars. Service at my local dealership (Alderson Lexus) is outstanding. Got it back washed with the tires all blacked and pretty. Don't really know how they afford it. The cars don't cost all that much more than a Toyota.
  • Options
    caryncaryn Member Posts: 5
    If you have an "error 4" issue and it goes away once the car is off for awhile and then started up again but then after a little bit, it starts up w/the "error 4" again, get the radio replaced. I just went thru that w/my 2004 RX 330 and if they tell you that they need the car to get the info off of the radio, they don't. Just as long as the radio that's in the car CAME w/the car, all they need is your VIN and they can pull the radio info that way.

My CD player is working just fine now and I pretty basically live off of my CD player. I hardly listen the radio.

Caryn
  • Options
    argarg Member Posts: 1
    Greetings all, a newbie here.

My wife has a '04 RX330.

Am I the only one that thinks that the backup lights must have been put there only for show? Mine certainly don't light anything up in the rear (except themselves)!!

Is anyone aware of an after market upgrade. I was thinking of replacing the existing bulbs with halogens but I am afraid that this would void the warranty?

Can anybody shed any light on this dark subject?

Rich
  • Options
    I do when purchasing a new "car" is convert the driver side backup bulb to a 50W halogen.
  • Options
    kenlex41kenlex41 Member Posts: 18
    I am on the list to recieve the new RX400h and was curious if you can hook up an iPod directly to the stereo? Mine is coming with the DVD Nav so I don't know if that will make a difference. Any input would be great.
  • Options
    gottlsgottls Member Posts: 21
    I would also be interested in any suggestions on different ways to connect an iPod to a RX330. without and entertainment center. Presently I'm using a cassette adapter that plugs into a Belkin, Auto Kit Charger w/Dock connector. I've talked to several audio shops on my options, and their suggestions was to keep using the setup I'm presently using. The problem apparently is with the 6 disc CD changer, it doesn't allow for an adapter to be used to take advantage of the Aux. port on the radio. All three shops advised me to check back later.
  • Options
    md52md52 Member Posts: 20
    ...do you know the TSIB Number for the injector noise fix?? I have had the same problem since I bought the car (Dec03).
    Knowing the number always helps when dealing with the service department
    Thanks
  • Options
    Hey Dard

..for your dash rattle problem; was it coming from where the A-pillar meets the dash on the right side?? I have a noise that seems to come from the A-pillar cover for the air-bag or from the lower part of the dash on the right side; its kind of a creaking noise I notice especially when the car is cold. Was wondering if yours was the same thing..

Thanks
  • Options
    my3rdrxmy3rdrx Member Posts: 167
    For '01-'03 RX300s: EG004-05: "Fuel System - Ticking Noise From Engine Compartment"
    For '04-'05 RX330s: EG005-05: "Fuel System - Underhood Ticking Noise at Idle"
  • Options
    chicagocarchicagocar Member Posts: 11
    I have a similar problem with my 2005 RX. This sounds seems to go away, when driving continuously and reappears as you stop the car on the stoplight. The sound is not very loud though..... This sound is more obvious when the car is COLD immediately after start. I did show it to the dealer but he found nothing
  • Options
    mvd1mvd1 Member Posts: 30
    I was detailing my RX330 and noticed on three of the 18" alloy wheels around the lug nut areas had the finished "chipped" off. I'm not sure if this is a wheel defect or was caused during the last tire rotation at the dealer back in November. It should have examined the wheels then, but it was very cold here and I assumed the Lexus mechanics knew to be careful. Anyone else seen this problem? Thanks!
  • Options
    dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    I assume you mean the dash rattle. Ours (2004) came from the right front area and I could press on the defroster vent to stop it. Apparently the dealr had a TSB on the it as they took the dash out and reinsulated it (according to the paperwork). Seems to have fixed it. . .however, after a few days we developed a buzz behind the plate just in fromt of the gearshift (just below the radio). I discovered with a gentle tug under the plate around the gearshift, it comes off easily. Another little tug on the plate that holds electrical outlet from where the buzz came will pop it off too. Wrapped the wiring harness with foam insulation, smapped it all back together. No more buzz. To be honest, I'm amazed they can pull the dash, reinstall it, and not make an unholy mess of the thing. Lexus is the only car company I've found willing to treat rattles as a problem they're obligated to fix. I appreciate that.
  • Options
    Thanks for your post. I had the fix done, seems to work OK as the ticking went away. They add a surge supressor to the line feeding the injector rail and also add some additional clips and a beefier tube feeding the injector rail. Seems that the ticking was caused by instaneous surges to the injectors, causing them to "click" at idle.
    ...hope it doesnt cause a reduction in mileage...
  • Options
    mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    Apple/IPod offers an add-on device that costs around $30. You can get it at any Ipod retailer. It transmits the signal by FM modulation. It plugs directly into the Ipod and works with any unused FM stations. The best part of this is, it relocates where your Ipod is, so if you swap cars with the spouse or drive in any other car it comes along.
  • Options
    I heard they don't verywork well. Has anyone had any experience with the FM transmitter in the RX330. I know in my wife's mustang, it doesn't work and the antenna to the car is on the hood. I would like to find a direct connection of some kind.
  • Options
    fhfcheffhfchef Member Posts: 9
    Well this is very depressing to hear since my new 05 Rx330 is having the same hesitation problem. I drove it twice and parked it for a week or two before driving it full time. Once I started driving it more often, I noticed the hesitation problem and thought it was just poor horsepower but do not remember this happening during my test drives. It is very frustrating because I find it very unenjoyable to drive with all the eradict gear changing caused by over compensating for the hesitation. Is there anything that can be done? Chip it, catback system, better gas?

David
  • Options
    scoti1scoti1 Member Posts: 676
    fhfchef -

Maybe there is some consolation in that Toyota/Lexus is looking into the problem as well as the NHTSA. Refer to these articles if you haven't seen them yet.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05036/453222.stm

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04345/424551.stm

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04343/423383.stm

There is a board here at Edmunds where the hesitation is being discussed, so if you wish to commiserate with others, you can go to http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef4cdbd/570
  • Options
    tomi21tomi21 Member Posts: 2
    Hi I am a new member and wanted to comment on the FM modulator. I have an 04 RX 330 and this is what we use on our extended trips and it works wonderful. It has 4 pre-set settings that can be used. We plug the adaptor into the Ipod and go.
  • Options
    That is good to hear. The cassette adapter gets noisy after prolonged use. What brand are you using?
  • Options
    tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    I don't mean to offend anyone but if I spent that much money on a premium audio system why do I want to listen to music from compressed music files? or through FM signal?
  • Options
    Stationary FM isn't all that bad.

Insofar as compressed files are concerned I didn't think you can tell the difference.

ALL CD's are compressed in that the original analog is "compressed" into a digital format compatible with CD recording.
  • Options
    legendmanlegendman Member Posts: 362
    "Do you have the Michelins or the Goodrich? I heard the Goodrich last only to 20k miles while the Michelins go for over 40k miles."

Just fyi ... those are Goodyears, not B.F. Goodrich.

Best place to find out all about these tires, IMO, is at Tire Rack.com You can look up each tire by exact size (or by OEM for your RX330) and you can read actual tire owner reviews and a survey which considers mileage, handling, wet and dry traction, ride comfort, cornering, etc., and whether these tire owners would buy the tire again. Very, very helpful.
  • Options
    "The original Goodyear tires wear too much on the outside edges quickly and have a 220 traction rating, whereas the Michelins have a 440 rating and the preference ratings are higher for comfort, noise levels, snow and wet weather, etc. Has any made the switch, and if so, was it an improvement?"

There's a 3rd option from Bridgestone: The Dueler H/L Alenza. And they are less money.

The Dueler H/L Alenza with UNI-T and UNI-T AQII is Bridgestone's light truck and SUV Highway All-Season tire that was developed for the drivers of premium, luxury sport utility vehicles. The Dueler H/L Alenza is designed to provide elegance with an edge, as well as year-round traction, even in light snow.

The new tire boasts better handling, control and comfort.
  • Options
    I'm about to buy my first RX330 (2005 AWD), but have recently learned about the car being built in Canada as well as in Japan. Does anyone have any input -- pro or con -- on Canada's new Lexus plant as regards quality control and problems in the cars it builds?

I did read elsewhere on the 'net that per Lexus corporate policy, they are sourcing the majority of the Canadian built RXs with parts and materials manufactured in Canada, and NOT in Japan.

Having run a factory myself, I know how hard it can be to get a new plant, new equipment and new personnel up to speed while trying to make a consistent, quality product. I wonder aloud if some of the problems I have been reading about in this discussion thread could be a manifestation of the teething pains at this new plant, or perhaps, a different work ethic. Or is the problem bigger than one plant, and more a reflection of cost cutting?

Your comments and thoughts would be welcome.
  • Options
    "I knew I wouldn't get 20 m/g mileage in town nor 26 m/g on highway driving but I have 816 miles on my RX 330 and my mileage is a little less than 19 m/g. I use regular gas. This is around town and highway driving. I am going in Monday to have the 1000 mi. checkup and hope they can help."

I have discussed the issue of gasoline octane (regular vs. premium) with several service advisers and mechanics. Overwhelmingly they report the same thing: that mileage AND performance will suffer if you do not use at least 91 octane gasoline (premium here in California) in your RX330. Yes, it will run on lower octane but it won't run as well or as economically.

I was told the same thing by my Acura mechanic for their premium fuel cars. Many mechanics state that running lower octane fuel is a false economy in a premium engine car, in that you will get worse mileage on regular, hence you have to fill up more often, using more fuel, not less.

The lone dissenter said that you could try 89 octane fuel (mid grade here in California in the RX330), but that premium fuel was best. (Ouch! I saw $2.99 a gallon today in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles -- for premium gasoline)

Another fuel economy consideration is oil weight. Energy conserving oils like 0w30 and 5w30 might help a bit, as might full synthetic oil, like Mobil 1 or Ammsoil. Beware Castol and Valvoline "synthetics". They are not true synthetic oil, but rather highly refined petroleum based oil.

Have you checked tire inflation? Our Lexus dealer recommends 36 psi for our 1999 RX over the manual's stated 30 psi. You should have lower rolling resistance with a higher PSI. Of course, check with your dealer for their recommendations.
  • Options
    Bulletins for 2004 Lexus RX330 2WD V6-3311cc 3.3L DOHC (3MZ-FE)

Service Bulletins

TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title

1. EG006-04 MAY 04 Engine Controls - MIL ON/DTC's P0010 or P0020 Set
    2. TC004-04 MAY 04 Engine/Transmission Controls - MIL ON/DTC's Set
    3. EL007R-03 MAY 04 SRS - Occupant Sensor DTC's B1150 and B1650
    4. AC002-04 MAY 04 A/C - Groaning Noise With A/C ON
    5. TC003-04 APR 04 A/T -Transmission Solenoid Identification
    6. EL002R-04 APR 04 Body - Power Back Door Inoperative Update
    7. BR001-04 MAR 04 Brakes/Traction Control - 'Zero Point Calibration'
    8. TC002-04 FEB 04 Drivetrain - Hum/Thump/Whine on Deceleration
    9. SU001-04 FEB 04 Suspension - Front Suspension Creaking/Knocking Noise
    10. BO011R-03 JAN 04 Body - Roof Rack Cross Bars Hard to Position
    11. BO001-04 JAN 04 Interior - Seat Backboard Trim Loose
    12. EG003-03 DEC 03 Emissions - MIL ON/DTC's P0441, P0442/P0446 Set
    13. SS002-03 DEC 03 Engine Controls - O2 Sensor Monitor Threshold Values
    14. NV012-03 DEC 03 Interior - Glove Box Rattles
    15. EL007R-03 DEC 03 SRS - Calibration of Occupancy Classification System
    16. BO013-03 DEC 03 Interior - Visor Vanity Mirror Cover Binds When Opening
    17. BO012-03 DEC 03 Interior - Seat Belt Extender Applications/Availability
    18. AC002-03 DEC 03 A/C - Blower Speed/Volume Gradually Dminishes
    19. EL013-03 NOV 03 Lexus Link System - Error Message
    20. BO010-03 OCT 03 Body - Creak/Tick Noise From Rear Hatch Area
    21. NV010-03 OCT 03 Body - Rattle From Moonroof When Open
    22. SS003R-01 SEP 03 Engine Controls - ECU Programming Error Displayed
    23. SS001R-01 SEP 03 Engine Controls - ECU Programming Procedure
    24. BO007-03 SEP 03 Interior - Trim Panel Removel/Installation Precautions
    25. NV009-03 SEP 03 Body/Interior - Moonroof/Headliner Rattles
    26. PG004-03 AUG 03 Wheels/Tires - Spare Tire Carrier Operation
    27. EL008-03 AUG 03 Body - Power Window 'AUTO UP' Feature Malfunction
    28. TC005-03 AUG 03 A/T - Poor Shift Quality/PROM Update
    29. NV006-03 AUG 03 Interior - Instrument Panel Rattles From Center
    30. AX004-03 MAY 03 Cell Phone - Headphones Turn OFF in Cold Weather
    31. TC002-03 MAY 03 Engine Controls - ECM Reset Memory Function

Source: Alldata.com

NOTE: TSBs in year 2005 were not available.
  • Options
    Bulletins for 2004 Lexus RX330 4WD V6-3311cc 3.3L DOHC (3MZ-FE)

Service Bulletins TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title

1. EG006-04 MAY 04 Engine Controls - MIL ON/DTC's P0010 or P0020 Set
    2. TC004-04 MAY 04 Engine/Transmission Controls - MIL ON/DTC's Set
    3. EL007R-03 MAY 04 SRS - Occupant Sensor DTC's B1150 and B1650
    4. AC002-04 MAY 04 A/C - Groaning Noise With A/C ON
    5. TC003-04 APR 04 A/T -Transmission Solenoid Identification
    6. EL002R-04 APR 04 Body - Power Back Door Inoperative Update
    7. BR001-04 MAR 04 Brakes/Traction Control - 'Zero Point Calibration'
    8. TC002-04 FEB 04 Drivetrain - Hum/Thump/Whine on Deceleration
    9. SU001-04 FEB 04 Suspension - Front Suspension Creaking/Knocking Noise
    10. BO011R-03 JAN 04 Body - Roof Rack Cross Bars Hard to Position
    11. BO001-04 JAN 04 Interior - Seat Backboard Trim Loose
    12. EG003-03 DEC 03 Emissions - MIL ON/DTC's P0441, P0442/P0446 Set
    13. SS002-03 DEC 03 Engine Controls - O2 Sensor Monitor Threshold Values
    14. NV012-03 DEC 03 Interior - Glove Box Rattles
    15. EL007R-03 DEC 03 SRS - Calibration of Occupancy Classification System
    16. BO013-03 DEC 03 Interior - Visor Vanity Mirror Cover Binds When Opening
    17. BO012-03 DEC 03 Interior - Seat Belt Extender Applications/Availability
    18. AC002-03 DEC 03 A/C - Blower Speed/Volume Gradually Dminishes
    19. EL013-03 NOV 03 Lexus Link System - Error Message
    20. BO010-03 OCT 03 Body - Creak/Tick Noise From Rear Hatch Area
    21. NV010-03 OCT 03 Body - Rattle From Moonroof When Open
    22. SS003R-01 SEP 03 Engine Controls - ECU Programming Error Displayed
    23. SS001R-01 SEP 03 Engine Controls - ECU Programming Procedure
    24. BO007-03 SEP 03 Interior - Trim Panel Removel/Installation Precautions
    25. NV009-03 SEP 03 Body/Interior - Moonroof/Headliner Rattles
    26. PG004-03 AUG 03 Wheels/Tires - Spare Tire Carrier Operation
    27. EL008-03 AUG 03 Body - Power Window 'AUTO UP' Feature Malfunction
    28. TC005-03 AUG 03 A/T - Poor Shift Quality/PROM Update
    29. NV006-03 AUG 03 Interior - Instrument Panel Rattles From Center
    30. AX004-03 MAY 03 Cell Phone - Headphones Turn OFF in Cold Weather
    31. TC002-03 MAY 03 Engine Controls - ECM Reset Memory Function

Source: Alldata.com

NOTE: TSBs in year 2005 were not available.
  • Options
    "The original Goodyear tires wear too much on the outside edges quickly"

The service manager at a local Lexus dealership says that the outer edge wear may be due to keeping the tire underinflated at 30 psi (even though that's the factory recommendation). By adding a few extra pounds of air -- 2 or 3 -- you can supposedly stave off that particular problem.

An Arizona dealership service manager told me that they routinely recommend around 36 psi for the RX cars.
  • Options
    ajwestportajwestport Member Posts: 6
    Just got my beautiful 2005 RX with navigation yesterday. Perfect car- I am in love. The only 2 problems I am having are with the Bluetooth system which works with my cell phone, and the HomeLink garage opener. I followed the directions to "pair" my Bluetooth phone with the car- this went fine. Then, I placed some calls. I hear people perfectly. They do not hear me well at all. I tested this by calling my voicemail, and it sounds as though I am a hundred feet away. This is with the car parked, climate control off, windows shut, etc... There is no mention of this in any of the manuals. I don't know what to do. Even if I contort myself and speak facing the ceiling where the microphones are, there is no luck.

Second, the HomeLink. It will not program with my garage opener. My 2002 Acura 3.5 RL which I turned in today had a HomeLink which I programed on the first try when I got that car. I still have the same garage opener. I don't know why my RX won't take the program???

These two MINOR issues aside, this is a fantastic car. I can't say enough good things about it. :):D
  • Options
    crystal2crystal2 Member Posts: 52
    Ajwestport, Great to find out you got your RX330 sooner than 4/22. Did you get the Levinson audio system (I am thinking you did not since I have been told repeatedly it does not come that way in the NE). What do you love best about the RX? I am still waiting for mine due to a series of back and forth procedures over paperwork. Sorry I cannot comment about your two issues with the new SUV. I beleive I read about a similar problem with the other party not hearing your talk in an earlier post here or in the Bluetooth Technology forum. Pretty sure it was the same problem and fixed. I hope to join the owners' club fairly soon, but I hope I will not have to come to this board. Good luck and enjoy your new SUV. Crystal2.
  • Options
    I had problems at first syncing my Homelink to my Genie Garage Door Opener. Lexus suggests that if the primary method fails, then go up to your garage door motor control unit and physically press a reset button on the ceiling mounted opener. On my Genie this meant I had to remove the white plastic light bulb housing and press a small button on the left side (facing the light bulbs) of the unit. When I did I saw a little red light come on, so I hopped off my ladder, sprinted back to the RX and pressed the Homelink button as instructed. Voila! It worked great after that.