Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 330 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• gardencargardencar Member Posts: 293
    For those still doubting the RX330's reliability,here's a little tidbit. I just came back from the Volvo XC90 board and on post #34 a former owner relates his experience with the XC90. To make a woeful story short, he returned the vehicle back to Volvo, under his state's lemon law. His Town Hall name is Laputchka, and it sounded familiar because I had read one of his posts before, right here, on the RX330 board! Guess what he drives now. Yup, he is the very happy owner of brand new Lexus RX330!

Laputchka, if you read this, would love to hear your comparo of the XC90 vs. the RX330.
  • dmccart7dmccart7 Member Posts: 3
    My RX 330 has developed a pinkish hue in the top LCD display on the dash. This only happens when the weather is very cold. The colder it is , the pinker it gets, as the interior warms the pinkish hue gradually goes back to the normal white color.
    I live in New England and park my car outside. Also I have noticed that the clear coating on my wood grain steering wheel has become glazed and foggy looking all the time. Has anyone else experienced these problems?
  • laputchkalaputchka Member Posts: 8
    hee hee, I am a woman! :)

I really did like the Volvo, it just had so many problems. I do however have to say that volvo bent over backwards to fix everything, they dropped off rental cars to my house each and every time and were always prompt about returning any phone calls.

I have over 1,000 miles on my Lexus and its running PERFECTLY! It is a great SUV, it drives well, and its the perfect size for my daughter and myself. I would highly recommend it to anyone. :) Also, my Lexus dealer which is 26 miles away one way, comes to my house, picks up my car, drops off a loaner and does any work to it that needs to be done (oil change) and even offers valet service to the airport! :) Gotta love that!
  • dsindmdsindm Member Posts: 13
    Hello all. This is my first post on this or any other auto site. I purchased an RX 330 AWD with the premium package and navigation in November and just passed 3,000 miles. I don't know that it would have changed my decision but it certainly would have given me pause had I discovered this site before I made the purchase. I can speak from experience that there are some problems with this vehicle, but I also think they tend to be blown out of proportion because we all have such high expectations of Lexus. In any event, now that I'm "in," I thank all of you for the information you've shared and for the tips about fixes and dealing with dealers and service departments. I'm going to need that help as I bring my little laundry list of problems to the attention of my dealer at the 5,000 service interval. (None of them seem serious enough to take the vehicle in sooner, but that could change depending on how annoyed I get!)

Here are the problems I've encountered thus far:

1. The vehicle as a whole is not as quiet as I would have expected. (Doubt that there's going to be any solution for that.)

2. Engine noise in particular is greater than I would have expected. My Acura CL had significantly less engine noise.

3. One particularly annoying aspect of the engine noise is what others have described as the "ticking sound" at low RPM's. I can't believe that was intended or accepted by the designers. Simply put, it makes the vehicle sound "cheap." It's the kind of sound I would expect from a much less well-built vehicle after about 70,000 miles. Is there any fix for that?

4. I think I've noticed what some people refer to as the transmission "clunking," although I was anticipating a sound rather than a feeling, which is what I get. After slowing down from a higher speed in city driving, then attempting to speed up again, the transmission hesitates for an instant and then "clunks" into gear with a bit of a jolt. This isn't terribly annoying, but it's not something I've ever encountered on any other vehicle I've driven. What's the consensus on this--is there a fix?

5. I have noticed a hesitation in shifting, I think it's from 2nd to 3rd but could be mistaken, in one circumstance--driving up a slight incline at about 25-30 MPH, the car seems to stay in the lower gear longer than would be expected rather than shifting smoothly to the higher gear. Is this the problem others have identified, and is there a fix?

6. Like someone farther up this page, the rear wiper fails to make contact with the top 3 inches or so with the rear window. I'm sure this is fixable and if anything inspires me to take the car in before it hits 5,000, this will be it because it's a safe driving issue.

7. Very small point, but the outside temperature gauge is pretty worthless. It routinely reads off by 10 degrees or more.

8. Finally, I've been disappointed with the gas mileage. I realize that you probably won't get the top-end mileage in the stated 18-to-24 range, but I expect to be within the lower end of the range. I drive a blend of city and highway miles and have yet to do as well as 18 MPG for a full tank. I've tried all octane levels, with and without ethanol, and nothing seems to make a significant difference. What have others experienced on mileage and do you have any tips on how to improve it?

On the whole, despite the foregoing laundry list of issues, I'm relatively pleased with the vehicle. It just doesn't quite measure up to what I thought to be the Lexus standard of excellence. I'm afraid we're all experiencing what commonly happens when you buy a vehicle in its first model year. In any event, thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.
  • dsindmdsindm Member Posts: 13
    I also have an annoying rattle from under the dash, which started at around 2500 miles. They have GOT to be able to fix that one, don't they? Not only does it make the vehicel sound cheap, but it drives me nuts!

:-)
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    1. Quiet. This can be helped somewhat by installing quieter summer use only tires and run the tires about 1 to 2lbs below spec. A sound deadening insulation blanket attacted to the under side of the hood also helps.

2. Insulating blanket.

3. Insulating blanket.

4. I beginning to wonder if the whole transmission shifting issue on the 330 isn't due to the overdrive and gear ranges be so "high" that the engine would lug if the shift pattern weren't "adjusted". 70MPH = 3000RPM on the 300 and 2300RPM on the 330.

5. See above. Tranny must stay in lower gear longer to develop sufficient engine torque.

6. Longer wiper blade.

7.Relocate the OAT sensor away from the A/C condensor and engine radiator so it isn't influenced by their radiant heat.

8. have the dealer use the C-best setting to disable the A/C compressor from automatically running at all times. My 01 AWD gets 21 to 23 MPH strictly highway miles regardless of fuel octane. Too much variation in my city miles stop and go driving to bother checking.
  • buffnboubuffnbou Member Posts: 12
    Welcome to the fourm! I too, have learned a lot from this board. I am a newcomer as well and my RX330 just crossed 5K miles last week.

Just a comment about the transmission issue: I had the same symptons/conditions as you are experiencing and I had the TSB change done on my car 10 days ago, and all of those conditions are gone! The transmission acts much smoother and quieter than how it came from the factory.

My mileage is consistenly around 18 mpg, +/- .2 or .3 mpg. On the road, I have gotten in excess of 23 mpg on a tank--all calculations done the old fashioned way, not using the built in computer, which is too generous re mpg. My outiside air temp display is not off as much as yours-maybe the dealer can calibrate it for you.

I have just begun to notice a rattle in the dash, but only on rough surfaces-I will monitor this more.

I agree, we all seem to high expectations, but compared to my prior vehicles, I still like my Lexus the best. Hope you enjoy yours and that some of those issues can be resolved to your satisfaction.
    Welcome to the boards! I have heard others post about your problems before and have experienced some of them myself. I like your positive attitude and sense of humor about the problems your RX is having. I also have written that there are overly high expectations regarding the RX because it is a Lexus product. However, you can't help but be a little disappointed when you're vehicle isn't perfect!

As far as the rear wiper and ticking engine, I don't remember reading about any adequate fixes.

The clunking, hesitant shifting, and dash rattle are all TSB's (technical service bulletins). Your service department should be aware of these and will make the necessary mods the next time you are in for servicing. The fix for the shifting issue is an ECM update which the service technician will warn you that once programmed into the car, cannot be undone. Everyone whose post I have read has been happy or very pleased with the results. The fix for the rattle, however, has worked better for some, than for others. Some people have needed multiple trips to resolve this, so make sure you ask to go on a test drive with a technician before you take the car back!

I think wwest answered your noise issues very well. I'd like to add that since the previous RX was accused of being too quiet and non sporty, this version was given a larger engine with a throatier growl. I don't mind the engine noise as much because the car is now sportier with the 18" wheels and low profile tires, which incidentally,also contribute to more road noise.

About your temp sensor and low gas mileage, I can't tell you much about the former except that your dealer should re calibrate it or replace it. As for the disappointing gas mileage, I have gotten highs of 18mpg to ridiculous lows of 13.5mpg! I talked to the dealer about it and they didn't have much to say. I am at times an aggressive driver, but it doesn't seem to matter even when I ease up on the pedal. I am chalking up my seemingly high gas consumption to possibly inaccurate gas pumps and many short driving trips, which usually produce the worst fuel efficiency. For now, I am continuing to monitor fuel efficiency before my first scheduled service.

Please keep us posted. I wish you luck and a speedy resolution to your issues.
    Welcome to the boards to you as well. I am very impressed with your miles per gallon. I am getting nowhere near your results. Could you post what type of driving you do? For example: length of trips, city or highway, etc. Also, I'm betting with your great mileage and living in Las Vegas, you have a FWD. Am I correct? Thanks in advance.
    So sorry, really sorry. I just assumed you were a "he". You know what they say when you [non-permissible content removed]ume! Thanks, by the way. I enjoyed reading your posts on the RX330 as well as in the XC90 board.
  • laputchkalaputchka Member Posts: 8
    I have found this board to be so informative! I have been having some of the same issues with the transmission that some people have written about, I think my next check up I will ask them to take a look at it. Good luck with your Lexus and many safe miles to you!
  • windy6windy6 Member Posts: 57
    Both dsindm and I had this complaint, wwest suggested a longer blade. The problem isn't that the blade isn't long enough, it just acts like there isn't sufficient tension on the last couple of inches.

When our salesman followed up via phone I mentioned it to him, he called back an hour later saying he had checked with the service manager and he didn't recall this to be a recurring theme. As we live an hour from the dealer I'm waiting until the 30 day service check.

BTW, my wife made a 330 mile round trip to Houston last week and she got 24.4 mph, via calculator, not the built in gauge, that's on 87 octane. Probably about 35 stoplights each way, so we consider that pretty respectable mileage.
  • katherine6katherine6 Member Posts: 61
    I have also experienced all of the annoying noises you have, and in addition, I had a vibration in the A pillar on the driver's side. My dealer didn't question the dash rattles which remained absent during our drive together. They took the dash out and installed felt around it before replacing it. The ticket said "poor contact." They also fixed the vibration in the A pillar which we were able to hear on our drive around. The ticket said they performed the TSB for that one.

These two fixes made a huge difference. I felt that I was in a different car on the drive home from the dealer. I wouldn't wait to get this fixed if it bothers you now because it really does change the driving experience. BTW, my dealer, Lexus of Norwood, in MA does approximately 5 dash fixes per week. They did 3 on the day my car was in.

W west--thanks for the idea of a sound insulating blanket. Any advice on where I can get and have one of these installed? I'd actually been thinking of fashioning something of the kind on my own.

Once again, thanks to all on this board who share experience and advice. It is very helpful to someone like me who is not car savvy.

Katherine
  • my1stsuv1my1stsuv1 Member Posts: 19
    I am not sure if my car has done the ECM update before I purchased last Dec. How do I find out? Or have the new cars done the ECM update after they issued this TSB? I do know that my car has a hesitation in shifting. Should I do the ECM update or not?

gardencar, you mentioned the clunking is in TSB. Which one is it? Can you tell me either Service Bulletin Num or NHTSA Item Number? Thank you.

I also have a same experience about the rear wiper and ticking engine.

I posted a message (#263) regarding to the whining noise (sounds like "OO"). Does anyone have the same experience?
  • cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    Some info:

The TSB number is TC005-03, titled "ECM Calibration: Shifting Enhancement".

We have reason to believe that newer deliveries (including 12/03) should have the ECM updated coming out of the factory. However, it appears the only guaranteed method to verify you have the updated program is for a technician to hook up the diagnostic tester and read the ECU Calibration ID.

Before this ECM TSB was performed on our RX330, I thought there was a noticeable hesitation before downshifting (such as from 3rd to 2nd gears), when driving at lower speeds and attempting to accelerate. Perhaps the opposite was also true regarding upshifting? Being a person who is a bit more "performance" oriented, I was primarily concerned with the slow reaction to the downshift. The ECM update improved the shifting significantly. Is it perfect? That depends on your driving style. It still isn't as quick to react as the transmission in my BMW, but I'm not complaining. This isn't a performance vehicle.
    Yes, I'd like to ask a couple questions about Clear Lake. I kept my post fairly brief because we should probably discuss non-RX330 topics offline. My profile should allow you to read my email address. I checked, and your profile shows your email address as private. Please shoot me an email when you get the chance. Thanks!
    Some of you might find this humorous.

I was scanning some discussion topics concerning the Mercedes M-Class SUV, and if I remember correctly, someone was comparing the number of posts within the different SUVs' "Problems & Solutions" discussions to help judge the vehicle's reliability! This was not looking at the types of problems; not even the number of problems; just comparing the number of posts within each discussion! Can you get any more scientific than that??
  • zhitozhito Member Posts: 1
    Based on what I have read re problems with transmission and interior noises should I be looking at something else?
  • lovemylexus1lovemylexus1 Member Posts: 101
    I stopped by my Lexus dealer today because I was in the area for another appointment. They "forgot" to reset the "maint. required" light during my oil change...and like clockwork it came on at 7500 miles. Thus, I made them fix it (despite the fact that I could do it myself from instructions in the manual).

Anyway, they wanted an update from me on the dash rattle. For those new to this list, I have had my dash worked on a couple of times.

The last service visit fixed about 99.9% of my rattles but on rare occasions I still hear a small pop in near the windshield on the drivers side.

To make a long story short...here's what the dealer told me. Lexus has sent a team of engineers into the field to address this and some of the other issues mentioned on this post (ticking noise from fuel injectors to name one). My service manager said the engineers are working side-by-side in service departments across the country so they can develop a uniform dash repair "kit". So far, there isn't a universal fix...each dealership is fixing dash rattles based on "the best way we know how to address them based on individual complaints."

Personally, I am encouraged by this news. It tells me Lexus is serious about addressing any and all major complaints.

I am off to the Democratic Republic of Congo in a few days...so it will probably be a few weeks before I visit this site again. I'll miss you!
    Hi! I cannot really explain the difference in mpg's. My work day commute consists of 9 miles into downtown Las Vegas from just south of the airport using the airport connector for about 3 miles and surface streets the rest of the way-typically hitting about 5 to 6 traffic lights each morning-usual transit time is approximately 20 mins.

Going home, I use a different route, about 11 miles but using interstate for about 9 of those miles. On weekends it is usually surface streets for errands and such-very little expressway/interstate use-again, about 20 minutes due to dropping off the office mail at the main post office on the way home each work night.

I will have to pull out my mileage log and give my worst/best mileage. I have only had one fill-up since I had the transmission TSB done and it was at 17.7 mpg.

I agree about the rear wiper issue-I have only had to use it a couple of times out here, but the very top couple of inches is smeary.

My RX has AWD, primarily because our sons and new grandbaby live up in Reno, and in the winter months snow is possible from about 150 miles north of here on into Reno. We were up there in January and got to use the rear window and side mirror defrosters and seat heaters!!!! They worked great!!!!!
    Lovemylexus,

Thank you for the update on what Lexus is doing. It sure is encouraging. It certainly shows Lexus' commitment to keeping us clients happy. I guess you are off to the Congo to write a story. I think I remember you writing that you are an international affairs reporter. Have a safe trip and look forward to hearing from you when you return.
    Thank you very much for the detailed post! You are getting some very good mileage. Guess I was wrong about the FWD. I'll have to see about my somewhat low mileage. Also congratulations on your new grandson. How exciting!

Another thing, I noticed your post about Mobil 1 and I am also going to use it at my 5,000 mile service. I'd like to hear some of your thoughts on using synthetic oil and why Mobil 1 in particular. Also, did your tech have anything to say about using it on your new RX330?
    I've never used a full synthetic before, just syntec blends. However, for the RX330, I'm willing to shell out the extra bucks, considering that the previous gen RX engines had the sludge problems. Thanks in advance.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Have a safe trip!

I am off to the Democratic Republic of Congo in a few days...

BTW - they DO have internet there! Check in here if you get a chance!

tidester, host
    Glad to get your message. I agree of course about discussing off topics offline. I will send you an e-mail. I'm surprised to hear my e-mail address was private in my profile, because I distinctly remember leaving it as viewable. I have heard others as well, mention their e-mail addresses being labeled as private by mistake.
    Wonder if tidester knows something about this?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The profiles have been a bit buggy since the new login procedure rolled out, and everyone's email setting got set to private apparently. The tech people have it on the bug fix list.

Steve, Host
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Thanks for bringing that to my attention. We've been making changes to the system and that particular problem was reported earlier but it had been fixed.

However, I just looked at my own profile and saw that my email address is also set for private and it's not supposed to be. I just now set it back to being visible but the system still insists it's private.

I'll send it up the chain!

tidester, host
    My1rstsuv1, I see that cotmc has given you the proper TSB #. If you would like to look at all the current TSB's out on the RX330 or any other car, here is a link provided by lovemylexus1 from post #55: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

Katherine6 and disdm, there is a sound insulating material called Reflectix that you can use to deaden the noises in the RX. The installation is somewhat laborious, but the results "sound" super. There is a helpful post #89 by chitung that also provides this link with a detailed article: http://www.bitwalla.com/cruisers/articles/sound.html

Happy driving to all!
  • katherine6katherine6 Member Posts: 61
    thanks for the link...I'll definitely look into doing the suggested procedure myself, although I'll wait for warmer weather here in the Boston area.
    Thanks for the update. It's good to know that Lexus is making serious and significant attempts to address complaints. I don't know if all the other manufacturers would be as serious about addressing such an issue as dash rattles?

Sorry to hear you'll be away from this topic for a few weeks. Have a safe trip!
  • lon7lon7 Member Posts: 7
    I just passed 7500 miles on my RX330 and discovered the other morning that I had a cracked windshield. The dealer said it was not covered by the warranty. They said they thought it was caused by a little pit in the windshield. This pit could have been there before I bought it. I am not very happy about the Lexus warranty. Anyone else have this problem?
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    Ion7,

What is your windshield did crack because a rock hit it? Why should it be covered under warranty?
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    Ion7,

BTW, no manufacturer's warranty covers cracked windshields from rocks etc. Warranties only cover what could be caused due to factory defect.
  • tsmith67tsmith67 Member Posts: 19
    In Kentucky and probably other states, any crack in your windsheild would be covered by your insurance with no deductilbe. The insurance company would rather pay for a new windshield than pay for an accident because you could not see out of the windshield. My insurance company, state farm, pays regardless of how small or big the crack. Hope this applies to you and it helps.
    Examine your windshield and be sure that a rock pit was actually the cause. It is not at all unusual for the windshield to be installed at the factory with some type of stress on the glass nor is it unusual to have a slight distortion in the glass itself which results in the glass being stressed when installed and forced to conform to the "frame" shape.

If the above is the case the crack usually originates at an edge.
  • ladyofluxuryladyofluxury Member Posts: 93
    Hey everyone! I'm back from D.C., Lexus dealership called to check on my "purchase status", I spoke with the salesman about problems I had been reading here and he claims that he has never had any complaints from RX owners about any noises or transmission shifting problems. When I pointed out to him that there were TSB's on this matter, he persisted to tell me that "such a problem" does not exist in this region. Now maybe he was covering his [non-permissible content removed] but I find it highly unlikely that the Mid-Atlantic region happens to be immune from the problems others on this board have expressed. Anyone ever heard of such a thing?
    I believe that dealers will do that. I had a noise issue (posted message #263) and this noise also can be duplicated at other three RX330s. But the service and sales dealers claimed that I am the only one has this complaint. It makes me think that my expectation is too high.
    You mentioned what the dealer told you. "Lexus has sent a team of engineers into the field to address this and some of the other issues mentioned on this post (ticking noise from fuel injectors to name one)". This is really a great news. Is your dealer in California? Is there a way to verify this? How can I bring this up to my service dealer (I am in NorthWest)?
  • lovemylexus1lovemylexus1 Member Posts: 101
    my1stsuv1: My dealer is in Eastern Iowa.

To all interested in the DRC trip. I am almost done packing and checking this site one more time before I leave. I will be accompanying a UN delegation investigating the plight of those displaced by the war there (tentative truce in some parts of the country at the moment). I doubt I will get a chance to check in...but I will if I can. Thanks for all of your thoughts...
    Wow-getting deep now! First, a disclaimer: I know very little about cars!

Having said that, I have a Yukon with over 100k miles and a Vette with 73k miles and have used Mobil 1 in both (that's what the Vette comes with and is specified in the manual) and have not had any engine problems with either vehicle.

I was not aware of a sludge problem but I will adhere to a 5k mile oil change regimen (we change the oil in the Vette every 3k miles). I figure if Mobil 1 is good enough for the Vette, it is good enough for the Lexus, and the Lexus engine works a lot harder than the Vette, rpm wise. I guess time will tell. I have had my Lexus oil changed twice now with Mobil 1 and no challenge nor warning from the service advisor.

Yep, he's our 1st grandchild--my much-better half is just beaming with a new grandson--thanks!
    I'm not sure what to think.

On the one hand, hasn't Lexus sold over one hundred million RX330s thus far? OK, maybe that is an exaggeration, but one must remember that we may be representing a very, very small minority of all the RX330 owners. I'm not sure if I would have ever spoken up about the hesitating transmission if I had never read about the Lexus ECM TSB within these Lexus forums. (It really wasn't that big of an issue!) When I did speak up to my Lexus service advisor about 3-4 months ago, she claimed she had never heard of it. She checked with other personnel in her service department and gave me a call back to say that only one RX330 owner had requested that ECM update, thus far.

Thus, if many of the Lexus service advisors are not aware of this TSB, then what are the odds that the salesmen are going to be informed of this issue? I typically don't go back to talk to my salesperson months after I've purchased a car. And from what I've seen, the sales staff do not hang out with the service reps. In summary, I see a strong possibility that many Lexus salesmen are not tuned into this issue whatsoever.

On the other hand, I'm not quite sure I understand why Lexus doesn't provide more publicity regarding these TSBs. In a perfect world, Lexus corporate would make a solid effort to ensure all Lexus service centers are fully aware of every TSB that is issued for all Lexus models. But maybe that isn't practical, if you consider all the possible TSBs that may be written for every single model, with variations for each model year?

And then again, there will always be some salesmen who will knowingly "deflect" your questions by replying, "Problems? What problems??"
    Back in early 93 after I had taken my new 92 LS in about 3 or 4 times to complain about windshield fogging, and being continually told that they had never heard of such a thing before I happened to stand in line to see the service manager behind an older couple.

They were there to complain that the windshield fogging had been so bad that morning that they had to pull over out of traffic so as not to become an acident statistic. The woman was very irate and said that this was the last time the dealer would get the chance to fix the car.
    Buffnbou, thanks very much for the info. I will be using Mobil 1 as well at 5,000 mile intervals. Congrats again, enjoy your cute, new grandson!
    What? Who does that salesman think he's fooling? Tell him you are a regular on the Edmunds forum. He is either lying like a rug or too unmotivated to do his homework on the products he sells. Either way, I'm not sure if I would buy a car from him. There must be other sales reps or dealerships nearby. Good to hear from you again. Happy hunting.
  • serenoaserenoa Member Posts: 21
    I bought my RX330 last August and in October the windshield cracked spontaneously. The crack was zig-zag for about 15" on the drivers' side and was getting longer by the day. I took it in and the service advisor remarked that I should report it to my insurance carrier. I told him that getting my insurance carrier to replace it was no free lunch and since there was absolutely no evidence that it had been hit by anything, that Lexus should replace it. He immediately backed down and sent a contractor out to my home to replace it in just a few days.
       I own 2 RX's and over the years have had a few instances where the service advisor might float an idea about scrimping on repairs, but will back down at once if you object strenuously enough.
  • bromley22bromley22 Member Posts: 10
    I'm assuming the 330 will still be available as an 05 in addition to the 400. Is this correct? And when available? My thought being they will have resolved the transmission and other common bugs discussed here for the 05 330 model. Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    In CA, the insurance carriers I've had will replace your windshield and skip the deductible. As was said in a previous post, if there is no evidence that the crack is due to a rock or impact with some other debris, push your service advisor to honor the warranty.

Bromley22, zhito, I have an RX330 and after the adaptive transmission learned my driving style, I had no major shifting issues as mine already came with the EMC update. I have no rattles or undue noises at 2000+ miles. Only complaint has been the lower than expected gas mileage, but could be a combination of the vehicle breaking in, and hilly terrain here in the Bay Area. Overall, I am very happy with ride quality, fit and finish, utility, and sportiness of the RX. It is very comfortable to drive and ride in. Even when comparing it to my LS400, the RX holds its own. In sharp contrast, it is worlds apart from a truck based SUV, like the Explorer.

Although some owners are experiencing quality issues, they are being addressed aggressively by Lexus USA as posted by lovemylexus1 on post #288.

The RX330 is bound to have some issues because it is a first year model, even though it is a Lexus. If you take a look at the records of any luxury SUV, with the exception of some Japanese marques, you will see that in comparison, the RX'S problems are relatively minor. Log on to the ML, X5, XC90, and most recently, the Touareg problems boards to confirm this.

If you are wondering whether to "risk" getting the RX330, I must assume that reliability is a very large factor for you. If this is true, then the only other comparable lux utes are the FX or the MDX. One is short on utility and the other is long of tooth.

If you like neither the Infinity nor the Acura, and have your heart set on the RX, but are still doubtful about its reliability, then wait. Wait and watch this board to see if other, more serious issues develop. Wait for the 2005 model, if you can. That's the question, can you wait until next fall or winter? If you can, then do. IMO, I feel the extra year I am getting to enjoy the RX, is worth whatever first year bugs I may run into.

Whatever other bugs, I am confident that as they surface, Lexus will come up with permanent fixes. They have no choice. They have too much to lose if they don't. The previous generation RX being their largest seller, they will not risk losing such success with this generation RX. I've bet $40,000+ on it! Good luck and happy hunting.
    Great post, gardencar. I'd like to second that. We have 12,000 miles on our RX330, and we have absolutely no complaints, and no rattles. Unlike gardencar, ours did not come with the ECM update, because it was a June '03 build. However, the ECM update was easy, and I suspect all new deliveries have that update.

I'd also like to add that even the other established Japanese marques have their problems as well. We had a dash rattle for nearly two years with our previous MDX, with some climate control problems occurring after 2.5 years. My neighbors' experiences are scaring me away from recommending the Honda Pilot. I'm sure we could find some complaints about the FX if we scan all of its discussion topics. No doubt, if reliability is a primary concern, stay away from the European SUVs until data suggests they are consistently reliable. If the RX330 purchase can be put off, then be patient and see what the 2005 model has in store. I guess I haven't seen proof of this, but I'm certain the RX330 will continue to be available in 2005, along with the new hybrid model. The sales volume is just far too high to be supported entirely by a new hybrid.

Oh, I just realized I almost lied to everyone. I do have one complaint. These 18" Goodyear RSA tires are expensive! My wife must have run over a box of nails last week. Both passenger-side tires were overrun with nails when she made a trip into town. One hit the sidewall, and the other tire had too many nails for repair. Hence, 2 new tires were needed. I called around a couple of tire dealers, and even after negotiating the price down, they still cost me nearly $200 each, installed. And that was before buying the roadhazard warranty, which I wasn't going to do without after this experience!

By the way, it appears that the equivalent 18" Michelins are less expensive than the Goodyears. In fact, Tire Rack offers them for about $110 each, before shipping.
  • ladyofluxuryladyofluxury Member Posts: 93
    The problem with this location is that we have ONE lexus dealership to service the Hampton Roads area. Although, they have been quite polite and helpful when they can, I am distrustful of salespeople who are either ignorant or lack knowledge on a brand that is supposed to be their bread and butter. I have already compiled a list of other dealerships within a couple of hundred miles from my residence and will see how that fans out. BTW I still haven't completely decided on the 330! indecisiveness....
    Their job requires them only to know how to SELL!

Have you EVER met a salesperson who really knew the product? Folks who know the product don't have to work on commission.
    Liked your post, cotmc. Thanks for the info on the tire prices. Hope your wife was not too inconvenienced by the nails. As my tires near the end of their wear, I will log on and order some Michelins or similar, from Tirerack. Once again, you have found some great pricing, as in the Curt hitch.

Also, found your experiences with the MDX very interesting, as we are looking at getting one as a possible replacement for the Explorer. How did you find the change of going from the larger MDX to the smaller RX? Have you written a comparo? Would love to read your opinions. Take care.