Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus RX 330 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    bach47bach47 Member Posts: 8
    edev31,

Thanks for the update. In noticed the my1stsuv1 posted the TSIB for the Power Back Door problems as TSIB No. EL002-04. I am calling my service representative later this morning to provide him with the information. Hopefully this will solve my issues with no further problem. I also have the "drone" and "downshifting clunk" problem for which they have ordered the "revised oil cooler assembly" that Lexus states in a TSIB will correct the problem. I am waiting for the parts to arrive and will hopefully have all issues resolved when I take my RX330 in for the 5,000 mile service. I will post the results after the repairs are made.

Thanks again for all the assistance!
  • Options
    katherine6katherine6 Member Posts: 61
    Just got my rx back from service and thought I'd let all know about even more rattles and their fixes. I had a rattle in the headliner behind the sunroof and they found the "sunroof pan rubbing against the headliner cross bar" so they insulated the cross bar. The A pillars rattled and they found the "front sunroof drains rubbing the A pillars" so they insulated those. They took out the dash and insulated all the the ducts and contact points. This is the second time for that procedure and I hope it works. The first time the dash was pulled was at a different dealer. I couldn't tell if the rattles were gone because I drove home in near monsoon conditions. Meanwhile the parts are on backorder for fixing the transmission cooler lines - that has to do with the transmission "thunk." If there were a prize for most squeeks and rattles I think I'd win it.

Had the rear hatch ECU replaced and these #'s are on the work sheet: "perform bulletin #EL002-04" and "replace rear hatch ECU EL4003 1.0" Maybe there are two numbers for this issue?

hope this info helps anyone else with these problems.

katherine
  • Options
    edev31edev31 Member Posts: 41
    katherine6,

Thanks for the rattle information. Unfortunately I am having all of the same issues as you are!I completely understand the frustration you're going through! I think we may be tied for "Most Rattles in a Lexus" : )
     I had my dash ripped out and the TSIB for the defroster nozzles done (which I'm sure you know doesn't fix the dash rattle) and the cowl removed, cleaned, siliconed and replaced (which also doesn't fix rattle). My service mgr. said that the cowl (where the wipers are attached on the exterior of the windshield) is at fault, and it needs to be altered, but Lexus has not come up w/ a new, better designed cowl to stop the creaking. Apparently the ES330 has the same dash rattle, and they did re-design the cowl and it supposedly fixes the rattle. The service mgr. says that they have weekly di-tech meetings about all of the problems RX330 owners are having, and that hopefully they should come up with a re-designed cowl for the RX330 sometime in the future.

I told my dealer about the A pillars creaking (several times) and they said they "couldn't replicate the problem", and there was no TSIB. They said I was hearing the driver's seat creaking (which I did, but that was a different noise!) and replaced some parts on the rear of the seat back (but now the sides creak!)
    At least you have a dealer that admits to the problems, and doesn't try and make you think you're imagining things! The service at my dealer is disappointing. I have been treated with more respect at a Ford dealership. They seem annoyed every time I call with a recurring problem that they can't fix!

Thanks to much help from this forum, I finally got the service mgr. to "find" the TSIB for the infamous "clunk"! I was supposed to bring the car in today, but now that you mentioned the parts are back-ordered, I asked them to call me when they come in rather then have the car sit there.

Thanks katherine6, for all of your helpful input!

P.S. Sorry I can't help on the power door TSIB, my dealer does not put it on the invoice (only an FP #89222-48010
  • Options
    edev31...I think you DO win the prize for most rattles. the dealer I bought from also treated me as if I had problems that didn't exist, so I changed my service to another dealer and the experience is the opposite. they take every complaint seriously, even took it for a 50 mile test drive with 2 people in the car after they fixed most problems and found another rattle, so they kept it another day to fix that one. If you are in a position to find another service department maybe that would work for you too. In fact with all of your problesm, it might be worth it to travel some distance if another deaer were more competent.

Don't know what the lemon laws in your state are, but it sounds like you might qualify. If insulating all the contact points, etc doesn't work, it seems to me, in my unexpert opinion, that something may be permanently out of line or out of "fit" so that it can't be fixed. I hope you aren't the person who tried the lemon route with no success a while back. If not, it might be worth giving it a try. Here's wishing you best luck.

katherine
  • Options
    mfullmermfullmer Member Posts: 773
    I've seen many posts about the rear wiper not wiping at the top. I had a RX loaner for nearly a month and just got my new one yesterday. I didn't have that problem with the loaner (15k miles) or my new one.
  • Options
    rx330ownerrx330owner Member Posts: 16
    I have the very same problem with the same bamboo paint. A factory rep came out to look at it said there was no problem with the paint and they no of no other problems with the paint that no of. Refused to do anything about it. I have never has any other vehicle do this.
  • Options
    crestomancicrestomanci Member Posts: 3
    I'm sorry to hear that you guys are having problems with your RX's rattling :( I got my RX last week (2004 RX330 AWD Millennium Silver/Ivory) and haven't had any problems with it thus far.. hopefully it continues that way. I have a question for y'all - how do you turn on the fog lights? I'm blind or something - I can't find anything about it in the manual. Thank you in advance!

-Crestomanci
  • Options
    cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    The fog lights control is on the same stalk (left of the steering wheel) as the headlight control. The outer portion of that stalk is the rotating switch for the headlights, which we always leave set to "AUTO". Further inside on that same stalk (i.e., closer to the steering wheel) is a similar rotating switch for the fog lights, which I think is simply labeled "OFF" and "ON".

It's certainly not obvious the first time you see it.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Unlike most manufacturers Lexus does not allow the use of fog lights alone, the low beams must also be on.

Stupid.
  • Options
    crestomancicrestomanci Member Posts: 3
    Thanks! I actually tried using that 'switch' but it didn't turn on the fog lights. Now I understand why..
  • Options
    ...just fog lights. I've driven just about every manufacturer out there and in all cases either they only come on with the headlights on or by activating them, the headlights turn on automatically.

There is a reason for this. In most states it is illegal to drive with just your fog lights or just your parking lights on.
  • Options
    IT can NEVER be illegal to drive in the most SAFE manner. Fog lights are designed for use ALONE when the road ahead is foggy enough that the low beams are reflected back at you enough to impair your forward vision, sometimes severely.

The Fog light beam pattern is intentionally low and wide to best prevent the reflected light "scatter" and typically of an amber tint to give your eyes the best "landscape" definition.

I agree that there is a law on many books preventing driving with parking lights only, but that law cannot now be inforced. Except maybe in the dark of night. With the DRL rules and the fact that teh Canadians REQUIRE that parking and tailights be active as a part of DRL.

On many cars incoming from europe if you activate DRLs you get the canadian version by default. And why not.

And any patrolman who writes me a ticket for driving with fog lights only, at a reasonable speed given the conditions, will soon find him/herself in court definding that action.
  • Options
    is hovering directly overhead. It 's SO LOUD as to make it impossible to keep the moon roof open. I understand the physics - like blowing over the mouth of a soda bottle - but I had an ES 350 as a loaner for a week while my rx was in service for a lot of other annoying noises and I opened the moon roof without experiencing this helicopter effect. Also have been in lots of other cars with open roofs and never heard this.

Is this the case with other rx's out there? Any experience and/or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Katherine
  • Options
    I'm know you should never use high beams in the fog for exactly the reason wwest states - because the light will reflect off the fog back to the driver. I'm wondering about the HIDs on the rx330. Because many here have noted that they are aimed so low is it posssible that having the low beams on is not a problem, or at least as much of a problem as it would be with beams aimed higher?

Katherine
  • Options
    my3rdrxmy3rdrx Member Posts: 167
    There is actually good reason why driving with only fog lights on is illegal in most states -- it's being looked at as evasive action by law enforcement. If only the fog lights are on without activating the tail lights, then drivers who want to evade police pursuit have an unfair advantage!

My3rdRX
  • Options
    One way to eliminate that "helicopter" effect is to adjust the front roof cross bar by moving it back further, or simply playing with it until that noise subsides or goes away.
  • Options
    my3rdrx -- thanks for the suggestion. I took the crossbars off a while ago. I thought it might help with my mileage which is terrible and with the helicopter noise. No luck with either. Do you not have this noise?

And a related noise. A couple of posts back I mentioned a headliner rattle that was fixed. Well the rattle is completely gone.... until I open the moon roof. Then it returns twice as loud as before. The helicopter sound and this rattle are competing for the privilege driving me nuts.

Katherine
  • Options
    For some reason, my sunroof noise problem is not as pronounced as yours, even though it's there somewhat. I have never experienced the headliner rattling problem, but I barely remember reading something about it at the Lexus Owners Club website: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/

May be you could check it out yourself. Also, I'm not sure what you meant by "terrible" gas mileage. I have the performance package on mine and I average about 19MPG around town (Washington metro area) with premium gas and it's not that bad, considering my last two RXs only got about 18!
  • Options
    Thanks for the link, I'll take a look. My gas mileage is 16-17 combined in suburban Boston. Metro DC is quite a bit worse traffic wise. I'm familiar because my daughter lives in the district.
  • Options
    The frequency is mostly a function of the volume of the vehicle to the rear of the open "window" and the aplitude is a function of how well sealed the vehicle is in that area of volume.

In my Chrysler T&C I could simply open one of the rear winglet windows slightly and that would kill the standing pressure wave.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's a common problem with lots of cars these days. See:

tidester "Volvo XC90 SUV" Jan 4, 2003 1:19am

Steve, Host
  • Options
    thanks for the info. I experimented with opening rear windows and it does mitigate the problem substantially. Of course now I have the noise of the rear windows being open... wwest-you're righ - the interior volume of the LS350 I had as a loaner had a smaller inside volume than the rx does and I noticed that the moon roof on it seemed rather large in comparison. thanks for the explanation.
    Katherine
  • Options
    edev31edev31 Member Posts: 41
    Hi Katherine 6-
    I also have the helicopter noise (very badly) when the sunroof is open all the way. I noticed that the first time I brought the car in for the ECM tranny update, my service dept. re-set it so that when you open it with the "one-touch" operation, it only opens about 3/4 of the way, thus eliminating most of the helicopter noise effect. I noticed this immediately, even though they never told me they adjusted this.But if you then manually open it all the way (the remaining 3 inches or so) the helicopter noise happens again. You could ask your dealer to do re-set your sunroof this(if it's not been done already-it's a C-Best setting) even though you sacrifice not getting as much fresh air!
    I did inform my service mgr. of this, and they test-drove my car and reported on the print-out that this is "operating as designed" and like other RX330's.

Keep us updated about when you get the "clunk" problem fixed on your RX. My service mgr. said he would call when the parts come in.

Has anyone experienced a strange sound on the first engine start of the day that sounds like a really loud, low pitched squeak/ squeal/groan? (louder and different than a squeaky "belt" (??) It happened the first time, I thought it was nothing, then it happened 3 more times! Yet another issue for the service dept!
  • Options
    You might also see some significant improvement with the noise if you install a moon roof wind deflector. We had one installed on our '01 MDX (a bit larger than the RX330), and we had no noise problems with the roof open and all the windows closed. I'm guessing that Lexus must make this sort of accessory available for the RX330, and it shouldn't be that expensive at all. A useful tool for open moon roof cruising, if you don't mind the looks of a small plastic "shield" in front of the moonroof.
  • Options
    boosfriendboosfriend Member Posts: 1
    I've had my RX330 for nearly a year now and love it. I have a question about the radio, however. I enjoy the "text" capability on the radio (which provides the ability on select channels to see the artist/song name), however, cannot get this capability without the RDS selection also being activated (which initiates other station selection functions that I don't want). Am I missing something -- or is one of these functions linked to the other?
  • Options
    Are we missing the forest here or did I miss something? How, possibly, could driving with only fog lights on in the fog be safer? Driving with only fog lights on leaves the rest of your vehicle dark.

Maybe you need to read up a bit on "fog lights". The fog lights that are available on from the car manufacturers are not really fog lights at all. They are a styling accessory. Only high powered fog lights, mounted very low, can cut under the fog.

Here are the states that prohibit the use of fog lights, without the headlights, markers, taillights on also, on the road:

Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Lousiana, Maryland, Massachussets, Michigan, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming.
  • Options
    ctk1ctk1 Member Posts: 79
    #334/WWest, What the heck are you talking about!!!
  • Options
    It was my intention to state that fog lights are not much help with low beams on also, I NEVER stated that street/parking lights should be off also. I do admit that my posts could have been inadvertantly worded in that manner.

Over the years traveling on I5 to/from Seattle/Portland there are sections very prone to heavy fog and the best way to continue forward is at low speed with fogs (and street/parking) ONLY!

434......???

And you take issue with??
  • Options
    dsindmdsindm Member Posts: 13
    In posts numbers 273 and 274 I listed the issues I've had with my 2004 RX 330 AWD with nav. I recently went in for my 5,000 mile service and here are the responses I received from local Lexus service:

1. "Ticking sound" from the engine--The service rep told me this is "normal" although louder on this vehicle than others. He did say that Lexus is trying to see if they can develop a solution for this. (I think someone may have reported this effort earlier).

2. Transmission "clunking": I think the issue I have experienced is different than what most have reported along these lines. My only problem was that the tranny "jumps" a little when accelerating again after decelerating in roughly the 15-30 MPH range. The service rep said the ECM update had already been performed on my vehicle, which was built in Japan and on which I took delivery in November.

3. Rear wiper contact problem--They told me there is a new wiper blade out for this and that they would have it in in a couple of days. I haven't gone back to have it installed yet, but I wonder if this means they've developed a fix or are just replacing it with a part of identical design. I'll let you know if it works.

4. Dash rattles--They told me up front that they should be able to fix this (and there is a TSB on at least one form of rattle), and so far (knock on wood) they seem to have taken care of this one.

5. Outside temperature gauge--I may be the only one reporting how unreliable this gauge is on my RX, and the dealer said there was nothing they could do. Fortunately it's not a key item--there's always the old reliable "stick your head out the window" method. ;-)

6. Disappointing gas mileage--I was getting 16-17 in about half local/half highway driving. Pure highway trips were in the 2o-21 range. Since the weather warmed up and the vehicle is better broken in, I'm getting more consistent 17 MPG in mixed driving and got close to 23 on a recent all-Interstate trip. I'm still disappointed not to be at the bottom end of the EPA range (18-24) in mixed driving, but not much to complain about. The service rep said the nearly 23 MPG I got on the one highway trip was "the best I've heard of."

Bottom line--I'm grateful to have the %$#@ dash rattle apparently fixed. It would be nice if Lexus really did figure out a way to muffle the engine ticking, but I'm not holding my breath. All in all I'm fairly pleased with the vehicle thus far. Hope the rear window wiper replacement works, and as I said I'll let you know.

Thanks again to all the helpful posters here.
  • Options
    my1stsuv1my1stsuv1 Member Posts: 19
    Good to hear that you have most of problems fixed. Yes, please keep us update on ticking sound and rear wiper contact problem.
  • Options
    "clunking....."

I suspect, strongly, that when the engine/transmission ecu(s) detect a coasting circumstance the transmission automatically "upshifts" or even possibly into neutral. There are two positive aspects to this, increasing the fuel economy by reducing engine braking, and increased safety with reduced engine braking to the front wheels if the roadbed happens to be slippery, ice or packed snow.

But the negative aspect as you indicate is "clunking" due to a sudden need to downshift back into "driving" range when you reapply the throttle at a slightly aggressive rate.

I moved the OAT sensor on my 01 RX300 to the driver's side front bumper area so it wouldn't be affected by the radiant heat of the radiator and A/C condensor.
  • Options
    rx4merx4me Member Posts: 58
    I only experienced the loud helicopter noise when either or both of the back windows are open. If I close them (while still having the moonroof open) the helicopter noise goes away. Initially, I couldn't figure out where/what the noise was and what was causing it. I thought I had a blown tire or that something broke loose from under my vehicle. The noise is deafening!
  • Options
    I found the OPPOSITE is true in this and every other vehicle that I have had. If I roll down the back windows slightly (2 inches or so) the noise goes away.

It is interesting that yours is not apparent when all of the windows are up and is apparent when the rear ones are down. The whole physics of this is caused by wind rushing in through the moonroof and not having anywhere to go. It then "buffets" back through the vehicle trying to get back out of the sunroof.

What Lexus needs to do is design a larger wind deflector so that the wind does not rush in the sunroof.

Has anyone tried one of the exterior wind deflectors? I can't stand the way they look but it should definitely help the problem.
  • Options
    wjboswellwjboswell Member Posts: 1
    Just returned from a 1,000 mile trip on I-75 and found about 3-4 new stone chips on the top of the hood, front of the hood, and bumper of my 2.5 month old RX330 with 3,000 miles. I don't follow closely to trucks or anything else that might kick up stones yet this is a mess. I agree that the paint quality seems poor. My older cars have far more miles and fewer chips.

Has anyone else noticed that when you get a stone chip it takes out a huge amount of paint...both in surface area and depth? It doesn't seem right. What can we do? Any suggestions? At this rate I'll have no paint left on the hood in about 3 years.
  • Options
    wallie502wallie502 Member Posts: 13
    I was cleaning my Flint Mica RX330 last week and I noticed several paint chips and scrapes, some of which were probably cause by gravel or other road debris. Others that are on the tip of the driver's side rearview mirror and the passenger side rear door appear to have been cause by scrapes, but I have never seen so much damage to paint in a new car, so it seems that this paint is prone to chipping and scraping. I have just over 3000 miles. I have not yet made any attempt to touch up the marks.

One thing I have not seen posted is a rattle that comes from the trunk. It is loud enough that I can hear it with the radio on. I havent been able to pinpoint the problem, but it may be related to the cover, which I generally leave opened. I am not convinced that this is the source because I cannot always hear it when it is in the opened position. I will continue investigating, and any input would be appreciated.

As to other messages posted, I have heard, inconsistently, the whining noise in 4th gear while coasting. However, when it is present I must turn the radio off and concentrate on listening in order to be able to discern it. Also, my rear wiper leaves a large streak across the top of the rear window. Both of this issues are minor to me, and I hope that the whining noise does not indicate serious damage to any part of the drivetrain.

I took delivery of my RX in November 2003 from Japan. My gas mileage with premium fuel had been dismal at first (14 to 16 mpg), but has been increasing. Lately I have been able to achieve consistenly over 18 mpg according to the trip computer. However, most of my driving is local, with few short highway trips.
  • Options
    I think your theory about the "clunking" noise is a good try but no cigar! I have the Performance Package on my RX330 and I use the sequential manual shift all the time and the noise is still there. I believe the noise has to do with the "oil cooler tube sub-assembly" as the TSIB indicates, that the insulation is faulty and causes movement when braking or accelerating.
  • Options
    And why would you believe the transmission would remain in the gear you selected even when the engine is developing no forward driving torque??

If you intentionally downshift to use engine braking and still feel the clunk then I understand.
  • Options
    rx330ownerrx330owner Member Posts: 16
    Dealership finally repaired the chips after a lot of complaining on my side. They did a great job repairing the chips. They called it environmental damage, not a problem with the paint! I have ordered a full bra (I really hate them) but as you said what will it look like in three years without using one. I have never had another vehicle do this, I believe they have a serious problem with their paint and do not want to admit to it. Has anyone every used the invisible bra? If so how much did cost?
  • Options
    You're exactly right. The main reason that I prefer using the sequential manual shift is so that I can downshift according to speed.
  • Options
    gardencargardencar Member Posts: 293
    Yes, I had it too. I could hear the rattle when going over bumps or pot holes, even with the radio on. I pinpointed it was coming from the cargo cover, at the points where the rear roller assembly snapped into the sides of the cargo bay, when the rattle was still present after engaging the front locks.

I found that after snapping into place, the rear shade still had a small amount of play as it rested on either side of the cargo bay. I then removed the rear shade and applied a self adhesive, round tab on the points where the shade snapped into place. The round tabs are the felt half of some velcro fasteners that my wife had purchased at a fabric store. Sure enough, the rattling has ceased. Hopefully, this fix will last until my 5,000 mile service, when I can bring it to my dealer's attention.

Good luck and I hope this works for you.
  • Options
    I stopped in to have the replacement rear wiper installed today. After it was done the service manager said he understands Lexus is still working on a redesigned arm for the rear wiper. That leads me to believe what they installed for me today was just a replacement of the same part. We'll see how it works. In any event, Lexus is apparently working on a fix.
  • Options
    I'm hearing a noise unlike any I've heard described here so far. It may be perfectly normal and it's not that annoying, but I've never heard it on any other vehicle I've driven.

It's a subtle noise that seems to emanate from the lower part of the engine compartment and it's closely tied to the gas pedal. I don't hear it when starting from a dead stop, but if I'm already moving I'll hear this muffled sort of tin-canning noise (like pushing down on the top of a tin can) when either press or back off of the gas pedal. I'd say it's the sound of a valve opening or closing but I get the same noise, only slightly louder, occasionally without changing the position of the gas pedal.

What the heck is that all about?
  • Options
    tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    forget about what your car might look like 3 years from now. Your car will look horrible NOW with the bra.
  • Options
    johngreisjohngreis Member Posts: 70
    I've heard that Lexus has been working on a fix for the rear wiper problem.

I can save the engineering department a lot of work and money.

Use the same blade they used on the RX300. Dah!
  • Options
    I would recommend an invisible/transparent bra. I bought a used BMW sedan back in 2000 that had an invisible bra installed by the dealer for the original owner. I don't know for certain what he paid for it. I think he might have mentioned $200, but I don't know for sure. And maybe they've come down in price since 1999?

It was hard to tell anything was there unless you were standing within a couple feet of the car and looking very closely along the edge. Otherwise, it seemed invisible, even after 3 years of use. Also, it stays on permanently. No need to remove when washing, during rain/snow, etc.
  • Options
    I was thinking closer to $500. There's some info over in Car front end protective bras & film too.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    gardencar: Ingenious! Good detective work, and an interesting solution. Seems like there is always a use to be found for velcro supplies!

Steve: $500?? Yikes!! I'd barter that down. Don't pay a dime over $399!! Seriously, I would say these custom-fit transparent bras are likely worth the price for those who live in areas where rock chips are prevalent, especially for someone who wants their paint to remain unblemished for a long time.
  • Options
    Someone in Houston reports a $600 quote this morning in the Protective Film discussion. They declined....

Steve, Host
  • Options
    lovemylexus1lovemylexus1 Member Posts: 101
    We paid $300 for front hood, front sides and back of rear view mirrors for digishield protection at our Lexus dealer in Iowa. I am going to add it to the front bumper at the next oil change (since the bumper isn't the same color all the way through... which really bothers me but that is another discussion).

On the helicopter noise discussion... trust me... no matter how loud the noise is with the roof open, it doesn't come close to what a helicopter sounds like! In all seriousness, I hear the same amount of noise with the roof open on the RX330 as I did on my old Accord. And... IMO, you have to expect some noise... the roof is open!
  • Options
    gardencargardencar Member Posts: 293
    Thanks for the props, cotmc. About the clear bra pricing, I was given the same price as Steve is speculating, about $500. Since lovemylexus paid $300 for hers, minus the front bumper shield, I suspect the total package will come close to $500, by the time she gets that, too.

I agree with lovemylexus that the sunroof doesn't sound as bad as a helicopter (she should know). The sunroof noise isn't so bad, so long as you don't open it all the way back. If you depress the sunroof switch just long enough to start it sliding, it will automatically stop about two to three inches short. We found the noise quite acceptable at this setting and on par with an LS400 sunroof, and much quieter than one on an Explorer. It is only when you depress the switch again, to open the sunroof fully, that the noise becomes loud at high speeds.