Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Drink spilled on control area

mazdrvrmazdrvr Member Posts: 112
edited December 2015 in Mazda
The lid on my soda wasn't on all the way and the cup was a bit flimsy so as I was bringing it to the cup holders, it spilled all over the area where the control knobs, parking brake switch is. I cleaned up as much as I could, especially in the edges. i'm worried about what might of gotten underneath and if it will short anything out. So far everything is working fine.
I asked Mazda and they said to take it in to the dealership and have them remove the buttons and clean underneath that area. When I called the service dept at my dealership I got "i don't know what we can do or how much the charge will be, etc...". Do I and should I take it in? Or will it be okay if I just left it?

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well if it fried anything it probably would have done so by now. I know (ask me how I know) that a spill on a laptop or a camera is usually instant death, not some gradual issue. I think I'd just wait and see how it goes. Was this like a whole cup or just a splash of something?
  • Options
    mazdrvrmazdrvr Member Posts: 112
    edited December 2015
    Thank you for the reply! It was 1/4 of a standard medium cup (like McD's). So far controls and illumination working fine; at times just a tiny lag but that's probably normal.
  • Options
    carboy21carboy21 Member Posts: 760
    Take a hair dryer and blow it dry.
  • Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    Just like any soda spill, it gets sticky overtime. Whether or not that will result in a failure is anyone's guess.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You just never know...some corrosion might set in over time but I wouldn't mess with it just yet.