-June 2024 Special Lease Deals-

2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

Drink spilled on control area

mazdrvrmazdrvr Member Posts: 112
edited December 2015 in Mazda
The lid on my soda wasn't on all the way and the cup was a bit flimsy so as I was bringing it to the cup holders, it spilled all over the area where the control knobs, parking brake switch is. I cleaned up as much as I could, especially in the edges. i'm worried about what might of gotten underneath and if it will short anything out. So far everything is working fine.
I asked Mazda and they said to take it in to the dealership and have them remove the buttons and clean underneath that area. When I called the service dept at my dealership I got "i don't know what we can do or how much the charge will be, etc...". Do I and should I take it in? Or will it be okay if I just left it?

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well if it fried anything it probably would have done so by now. I know (ask me how I know) that a spill on a laptop or a camera is usually instant death, not some gradual issue. I think I'd just wait and see how it goes. Was this like a whole cup or just a splash of something?
  • Options
    mazdrvrmazdrvr Member Posts: 112
    edited December 2015
    Thank you for the reply! It was 1/4 of a standard medium cup (like McD's). So far controls and illumination working fine; at times just a tiny lag but that's probably normal.
  • Options
    carboy21carboy21 Member Posts: 760
    Take a hair dryer and blow it dry.
  • Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,768
    Just like any soda spill, it gets sticky overtime. Whether or not that will result in a failure is anyone's guess.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You just never know...some corrosion might set in over time but I wouldn't mess with it just yet.