Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Tundra New Owner Reports

Comments

• Options
    finallyat150finallyat150 Member Posts: 105
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, new Tundra towing power!

I can't wait.

Thanks for sharing the hands on experience Joe.
  • Options
    doggboysdoggboys Member Posts: 17
    Well, I haven't towed anything yet with my DC 5.7 with the tow package, but I can say that the beast has tons of get up and go. I've driven basically every truck I could my hands on and this one has everything else beat hands down. The transmission is as could as they say as well. You really don't feel it shifting through all the gears. I was worried at first about jumping back and forth but it really doesn't. With the tow/haul mode OFF, it keeps the rpm below 2000 and most of the time below 1500. I've contemplating renting a tractor just to tow something large. Overall, great truck!!!
  • Options
    silversvtsilversvt Member Posts: 7
    I drive by the local dealership here in San Diego every Friday after work. Today they finally had the CrewMax.
    They had 2-SR5; 1 Brilliant Red, 1 Salsa Red. The Reclining rear seat and The Leg Room is very Cool. I am almost certainly buying a CrewMax, but my Practical side won't let me just yet. My wife paid $3.49 for Premium gas yesterday and I just know there are going to be some huge savings to be had on these Tundras in the not too distant future.
  • Options
    dssnuffydssnuffy Member Posts: 39
    One +.

13 posts later and there is one owner (plus one more coming in April). I'm glad you like the towing, doggboys. The New Generation Tundra does have the best towing in the class. The big V8 and six speed transmission work well together to transfer power for hauling.

Your truck is coming in from the Indiana plant, Joe140. I hope you haven't left the message board before you get your truck. I really would like to hear your report as a 2007 Toyota Tundra New Owner.

Thanks,

David "Snuffy" Smith
  • Options
    dmorrelldmorrell Member Posts: 2
    Well, I have owned my 07 Tundra for a month now, and I am still amazed by the performance. I have always been a Ford owner, but none of the brands performed like the Tundra.

I have the Double Cab with the 5.7L and Tow Package.

I recently hauled 9000 lbs of hay with my new Tundra and WOW! It felt equivilant to a Ford with 1500 lbs behind it. The accelleration and braking was amazing. :)
  • Options
    Amazing! 9,000 pounds of hay is a ton. Four and a half actually. Little known fact: the '07 Tundra set a new world record for the world's largest hay ride.

McKinney Hayride Sets Guinness World Record All-new Toyota Tundra Easily Tows 217 People, Six Trailers

Austin - A new record for the world’s largest hayride was set yesterday at Pat Lobb Toyota in McKinney.
    Some 217 children and adults, sitting atop six daisy-chained flatbed trailers covered in hay, were easily towed by the 2007 Toyota Tundra, which features a 5.7 liter i-Force V8.
    “The Tundra did its job in two-wheel drive,” said Pat Lobb, owner of the dealership. “The truck didn’t even require its four-wheel capacity.”
    The record-breaking hayride was part of the five-day Pat Lobb Toyota Tailgate Party, which is introducing the Texas-built truck to potential buyers.
    Guinness Book of World Records approved the hayride mission and will certify its success after reviewing materials documenting the event.
  • Options
    ha ha, excellent!

who ya gonna call? A new Tundra owner
  • Options
    Two +

Not a lot of owners/posters for 2 days, but both new owners (dogg and morrell) said they were impressed with the towing. Sounds like that's two for two with true truck drivers.

Thanks for the input. I am trying to get drivers' posts back on topic and give my 2 cents.

David "Snuffy" Smith
  • Options
    Had a chance to haul 2 yards of wet soil yesterday with the beast and it handled it like it was nothing. There was a bet going on at the nursery whether or not the truck could do it. Well, not one to make the truck look bad I said put the full two yards on. It definitely squatted but the thing still had plenty of power to spare. The trip was about 20 miles of hill country with passing involved. The only complaint could be the tires. The Duellers made the trip but made a bad noise when turning and hitting hwy speeds. Other than that, great expierence with the Tundra. The unfortunate part is the wife now wants more dirt and a bigger garden "Since the truck has no problem hauling".
  • Options
    maple2maple2 Member Posts: 177
    Had a chance to haul 2 yards of wet soil yesterday with the beast and it handled it like it was nothing. There was a bet going on at the nursery whether or not the truck could do it. Well, not one to make the truck look bad I said put the full two yards on. It definitely squatted but the thing still had plenty of power to spare. The trip was about 20 miles of hill country with passing involved. The only complaint could be the tires. The Duellers made the trip but made a bad noise when turning and hitting hwy speeds. Other than that, great expierence with the Tundra. The unfortunate part is the wife now wants more dirt and a bigger garden "Since the truck has no problem hauling".

Hello... you do realize this is a 1/2 ton truck right?
    FYI topsoil weighs approx 2200# per yard average depending on how wet it is. So that is 4400# you are claiming to have put in the bed min. And then you took it on the highway,and were passing people? Even with this "bad noise coming from the tires" I certainly would not be bragging about putting yours and the peoples around you lives on the line
  • Options
    Lighten up. If you don't push the limits now and then, you will never know the capacity of the truck.

Seriously though, for the long haul it is best to keep loads and towing within the recommended tonnage. Better to make a few trips to the nursery than one to the garage.

Doesn't it take longer to unload than to travel back and forth? Two yards is a lot of work.
  • Options
    drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    Don't hate the player, hate the game! :blush:

Good job, Snuff!

DrFill
  • Options
    usvet92usvet92 Member Posts: 19
    Hi All,
    Well last friday was the big day. I traded my 03 tundra for a new 07. I purchased the Ext Cab, Reg bed, 5.7,SR5. It's quite a machine. I am surprised at the good gas mileage. my 03 was a v6 and the new one isn't far from it for fuel usage. Power is another story. The 5.7 feels like a rocket fueled tank! I'd be more than happy to share any details etc.. After trying them all as well as the competition I have a little bit of knowledge. One thing that stood out from the start is the trd suspension is a firmer ride. Too firm for me as I decided not to go with it. I like the softer ride of the regular suspension especially during frost heev season which is now in Maine.
  • Options
    bugchuckerbugchucker Member Posts: 118
    Thanks for the report. I read on another forum that the 2007 Tundra towed 15K#'s at 80mph. Need to know the limits of your vehicle!
  • Options
    cbuellgocbuellgo Member Posts: 12
    My Local Dealer has a F150 on a trailer behind a 5.7 tundra for the public to test the towing capabilities, they claim it's 9000 lbs; really would like to try it but I just rolled past the 500 miles and am now ready to tow with mine, and can't wait for the west coast springers to go on the bite. If you Ordered one be Patient it's very worth the wait,
  • Options
    thanks for the message cbuellgo. I ordered one feb 13th and am waiting.
  • Options
    One thing that stood out from the start is the trd suspension is a firmer ride. Too firm for me as I decided not to go with it. I like the softer ride of the regular suspension especially during frost heev season which is now in Maine.

That's important to note, since most of the tests Tundras have the TRD pkg,. compromising ride quality, but enhancing it's do-anything, go-anywhere abilities. The Tundra is more than just a wild animal of performance.

DrFill
  • Options
    joe140joe140 Member Posts: 22
    I'll be here just watching and reading. I am looking forward to the truck and the towing. A man can get killed towing 4,000 pounds with my F150!! Anyone who drives a 5.4 Ford and is honest, knows that it is so very weak. Yes it can tow and is built "Ford tough" but what they don't tell you is you just can't go up hills or pass on the highway. When I test drove the TUNDRA, it was oh so different :) Hence the change from both GMC and FORD
  • Options
    beliasbelias Member Posts: 316
    I'm going to be getting a CM later this summer after looking at virtually every truck available except for a 07 Denali and a Dodge 1/2 ton MaxCab (though the larger 3/4 ton was available). I will say that I was surprised with Ford's top-of-the-line truck's interior (it was very good) but I was too big for the truck (my head grazed the ceiling sitting with the seat at its lowest point).
    I wanted to know if anybody that ordered a CM has driven it around and what they're impressions were? The space is amazing and is well suited to my needs. I like the look of the red-rock leather but haven't decided on an outside color though I'm leaning to the slate...
  • Options
    Can we start a separate tread so people who have purchased or are waiting for delivery of the 2007 Tundra can give the reason for making that buying decision and perhaps what brand they are switching from? Just curious and it would be nice to see what influenced people to buy the TUNDRA. A separate tread would make it easy to read just those comments.
  • Options
    arslanarslan Member Posts: 36
    Kind of wish Toyota kept the prior Tundra around with the 4.7 as a mid-sized truck for those who think the 07 Tundra is too much truck and the Tacoma is too small. Toyota could've rebadged it as the T100.
  • Options
    motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    WHY ? Smaller truck less gas mileage, less towing and hauling. The new TUNDRA is better than the outgoing TUNDRA in everyway.
  • Options
    arslanarslan Member Posts: 36
    I know quite a few home owners who would like to own a truck as a secondary vehicle but do not need the capacity of the 07 Tundra nor the limitations of the Tacoma. For them, gas mileage would be irrelevant.

As for myself, I drive an 03 Sequoia and wouldn't mind buying a mid-sized Toyota pick up.
  • Options
    mzopinonatedmzopinonated Member Posts: 24
    I agree, husband drives an 05 Double Cab, sunroof etc but will not even consider a new Tundra for the time being because it does not come with a roof unless you want the crew max, too big a truck. Also they did away with the crew cab trucks. I think they might have hurt themselves on this one.
  • Options
    I can see your point on this one, but take a look at what the Tacoma is now... it is hardly "compact" anymore. Heck it and vehicles like the Dakota are blurring the line between compact and 1/2 ton trucks. Mid-size is more appropriate, but I'm not sure that keeping something like the older Tundar would have worked... it would probably be a good sell but mostly at the expense of the other the Tacome and the new Tundra anyway. What Toyota needs are real 3/4 and 1 ton trucks added to their lineup... then the 07 Tundra won't look so big! :D
  • Options
    Hey there,
    I tried a cm and for me it was just to much room inside and seemed to take away from the bed space. I'm a big guy myself. I tried the long bed version and thats great if you need it, but it just seemed to long. My truck is the slate and I love the color. I didn't notice at first but the slate almost looks blue sometimes in different lighting. I like it, but some people may not.
  • Options
    Hi there,
    I just wanted to pass on some info to prospective buyers of the new tundra. I've heard chatter out there about soft paint problems with their black paint. When I was shopping I talked to a guy who just bought a black tundra and was there because after his first wash there were scratches everywhere. He looked sick to his stomach it was so bad. I talked with the service guys at that dealership and they seemed to think there may be a problem with "soft paint"? The black looks sharp but just beware...
  • Options
    Yeah, the Slate is interesting as it looks slightly different in color under varying conditions. Still, even though black is my favorite, why they didn't offer black as a metallic color is just weird. Even the salespeople agreed that it should be offered. So, slate is one of the darker colors offered that I like. I can see that cm would have too much room for some in the back seat, but as for me, I have two large dogs and a kid and probably at least another 1 or 2 kids in the future so, I can use all the space I can get! Did you take it for a test drive? How was it compared to the dc?
  • Options
    olerascalolerascal Member Posts: 13
    I've been researching these new Tundra's for a couple of months now and finally test drove a loaded crewmax yesterday. I was truely impressed. My plan is not to buy one for several more months (if I can hold out) and would like to know about when Toyota will be accepting orders for the 08 Tundra and how long they take to build an ordered truck. I tried talking to the salesman about it and all he wanted to do was sell me what he had in stock.
  • Options
    If 08 is like 07, it will take about 90 days to get your truck.
  • Options
    I say don't wait until 08. Rumor mill is that the prices will only increase as Toyota is not on par to sell the 200,000 07models they had projected...plus you're probably not going to be able to sleep at night thinking about owning one.lol!
  • Options
    Driving my new tundra today I realized another thing...small, but thought I'd pass it on. I have the 60/40 bench seat with the fold down middle part that turns into an arm rest/ cup holders/ little storage cabinets...The cup holders are great if you buy those xlarge buckets of soda through the drive throughs but they are a bit to large if you have regular travel coffee mugs. The mugs move back and forth in them as your driving. Not enough to spill yet, but it is annoying. They do have a two place cup holder thing in the dash that works great for those travel mugs but its a little bit of a hastle as they're further away. Just an observation. Of course when you're easily towing 10k + pounds while passing all the other trucks up hill, a little coffee spill won't matter! :)
  • Options
    Keep the observations coming! What options did you get? Which options do you wish you got or plan to add later?
  • Options
    a47chucka47chuck Member Posts: 15
    I think I've got just about every major option on my DC Limited; 5.7, tow, nav, TRD, TRD dual exhaust, sonar and running boards. The more I drive it the more I enjoy it. The abundance of power in amazing and mileage is in the low 16s doing mostly rural and small town driving. I haven't taken an extended highway trip but expect mileage in the high 19s to low 20s. The ride and handling are also very good.

Now ... the nav system. About 2 years ago the county changed the names of some of the streets in our area. No map site has yet to catch up, but this nav system hasn't even got us in the right town and puts our old address in the wrong place. It also has the wrong name on a major road that has not had its name changed. I also have a Garmin nav system which is much more user friendly and accurate.

Other than the nav I have no complaints about the truck and have found it to be fantastic.
  • Options
    Didn't get/want many of the extra options. I did get the cold weather option, all weather floor mats, 6 disc cd changer and I think that's it for extras. When I stepped up to the 5.7 it added the other options I was interested in.
  • Options
    iqbaldhillon2iqbaldhillon2 Member Posts: 116
    A 450 horsepower supercharged Tundra is headed our way in October along with the all new Supra rumored to have 400 hp/450 lb ft torque!
  • Options
    The Nav is what sold me on the test drive. It worked perfectly. I love that it tells you the restaurants in the area by cusine. It is funny how few Tundras have it. It is one option that helps with resale when the time comes.
  • Options
    Did you get running boards or are you adding them yourself?
  • Options
    Can you substantiate those claims? At All? I can read AutoSpies too! :confuse:

DrFill
  • Options
    I'm going to add them myself. I didn't want them at first but after getting in and out a few times, I know I want them now. Oh and one more thing for everyone to consider....because the Tundra is so new, after market accessories are very hard to find.
  • Options
    OK, I ordered mine on Feb 25th. Desert Sand Limited, Nav, camera, sonar DC. I was told today that I can expect it the second week of JUNE, 2007. Isn't this a bit crazy? Getting a new truck when they are starting to close out the model year? Yet expected to stick to the February deal? What has been the experience of others on this board? At what point do we just cancel the order and wait the extra month or 3 for an 2008 and not lose a years depreciation. That's important to me since I trade at least every two years. I WILL be going to my GMC dealer next week, just to look. Are the new GM trucks THAT bad?? Can they deliver? Does any TOYOTA dealer have my truck in stock? I will travel.
  • Options
    I would cancel the deal for sure! I am willing to bet money that by the time June comes around they'll be offering factory to dealer and/or dealer to customer rebates and incentives. Where do you live? I'm almost 100% sure my Toyota guys could find you the truck you want!
  • Options
    cptchetcocptchetco Member Posts: 32
    Hi: I don't know what problem you may have with your F-150, but I regularly tow an #8000 boat. I have the same engine, but with the towing package, and a 5spd manual trans. I usually have to drop to 4th to go up major grades, and I don't try to pass anyon while pulling the boat, but its very competent at towing heavy objects.
  • Options
    I live in Wisconsin and I am very interested in getting that truck.
  • Options
    Like you said, don't try to pass or hold a speed in going up hill. I have auto trans with trailer package. Heavy duty everything. Don't get me wrong, if it wasn't for that lack of power, I wouldn't be looking at a new truck. That F150 looks great but the engine / trans package is very weak. Say nothing about the fuel mileage. Flat road, 55 MPH rowing a 4,000 Crestliner and 9 MPG? That's the bad thing about those computers, we always watch the mileage. I drive VERY carefully so as not to waste gas.Yes I can tow but I pay dearly for Gas and simply can't pass on a flat road and it won't hold speed in going up even the slightest grade. Not fun..
  • Options
    conwaychevyconwaychevy Member Posts: 3
    Had my Tundra 4 door truck; white with beige leather interior off road package 2x2 for about two weeks. Greatest truck I have ever owned. I drove the f150 / silverado / dodge. Did not drive the nissan titan. the Tundra has the best ride; and very quite; no road noise; unlike the dodge that was very loud.

the only draw back; it that i am fairly short legged. 5'10 with short legs; I need to add the running boards; and since the trucks are new; the after market toys are hard to find. Being short and the bed very high; it is hard to put things in and out of the truck bed. No big deal though; love the tailgate; very easy to shut and open;

very satisfied; and am a happy toyota owner.
  • Options
    Seven owners, three waiting

So far as I can figure, seven owners plus three waiting for trucks since I put out my roll call request.

Lots of watchers with good discussion both positive and negative since then as well. Very few trollers lately. Mr. moderator is doing a good job as well.

Here's my tally sheet. Sorry, but I'm the type of guy who has to buy a program at the ballpark to keep track of the players as well.

Owners:
    1. doggboys
    2. dmorrell
    3. usvet92
    4. finallyat150
    5. a47chuck
    6. bugchucker
    7. conwaychevy

Waiters:
    1. joe140
    2. cbuellgo
    3. abrascal'08

Haters:
    maple2
    khdspyder
    wildbill

Let me know if I got any of those wrong.

Thanks,

David "Snuffy" Smith
  • Options
    ltdan2ltdan2 Member Posts: 17
    ordered dc 5.7 4x4 in feb, wife works for jm families built date 4/5/07 in texas.have ordered gooseneck hitch from draw tight . hope truck stands up to hipe i am a retired firefighter, farmer.we pay a set price for our veh. i don't know if rebates will affect my price yet.
  • Options
    I ordered the front leveling kit for my 4x2 5.7 dc from daystar the other and am curious if anybody has expierence with this or not. The tech. rep. says it is easy to install on the new truck since you don't have to compress the springs but you do have to have it aligned afterward. I think that 3 inches in the front will make a huge difference in the stance of the truck.
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    >Haters:
    maple2
    khdspyder HUH???
    wildbill

You might want to review the '07 silvy vs '07 tundra read-only thread,....LOL