Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota TACOMA vs Ford RANGER - III

Comments

• Options
    wsnoblewsnoble Member Posts: 241
    You weren't singled out. You are the only one saying one day you'll only defend the ranger and not bash the tacoma, and the next day you do the complete oposite. Again you weren't singled out, there only one single person in this "catagory"....YOU!

I am not anti Ranger at all. I have owned both trucks, have you? If the tacoma was not an option i would have bought a ranger, but in my opinion the tacoma is a better truck and a better value. And before you get excited please note the word opinion in that last sentence. It is my opinion and when i comes to my $$, that's all that counts...

I would love some more info on the "Enterprise" tacoma you saw. According to their website

http://www.enterprise.com/car_rental/cars/index.jhtml

They are not an option. Either way please send any info you ahve on it along. Look what was easy to find...

http://www.drivebudget.com/worldclass/cars/fun/rangerxlt.html

Also is the following statement based on the up front cost or the total cost?

"As far as price comparison, there is no way you
    are going to convince an educated buyer that a
    Tacoma is actually less or just as expensive as a
    comparably equipped RAnger"

Praying for snow
    -wsn
  • Options
    hindsitehindsite Member Posts: 590
    Vince,
    Your not too swift I guess. If you had looked at my web site you would have seen the Ford Taurus that I own. Maybe you should take another look.

http://hometown.aol.com/hindsite/HindSite.html

Is asking you a two questions in two seperate post coming out swinging? Duh? Honestly, I have seen your posts in Nissan and if one were to look they would see you all over the Toyota topics. I guess you like to write, but sometimes you have to think before you write.

Btw I love that Taurus.
  • Options
    mviglianco1mviglianco1 Member Posts: 283
    My Tacoma came is equipped with 4wd, x-cab, v6, TRD, power, cruise, tow, cd, tape, sr5, tilt, conv pkg. My experiences with the Bay Area are that everything is MUCH more expensive then in the South East so I would suppose that vehicles are the same.

Good Luck

Vince8,
    Everyone in here knows what your opinion is, why does it bother you so much that everyone does not agree with it? According to you there are already like a billion Rangers on the road, do you want to drive the same truck as everyone else?
  • Options
    cpousnrcpousnr Member Posts: 1,611
    arcol:
    Well it is WELL documented and I have seen the Dateline report twice where the Tacoma basically bends in the middle by lets say 6-12 inches and the door springs open. If you need the site, here it is:
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testing/ncap/
    I have read that the Tacoma uses 5 steel cross members as compared to 7 for the Ranger. Des this explain the extra strength and weight of the Ford Ranger?

ponm:
    I assume you mean the temp switches, not the gage as the gage is about 1.5 ft up and to the left of the stick. In 1st, 3rd and 5th I can see where you have to reach around a bit to adjust those switches. Also, the stick top is about 2 or so inches below the radio area.
    The interior is basically the same as the Explorer and quite frankly has received better independent reviews as compared to Tacoma. Personally, I think it drives/handles very well compared to the Tacoma. Die hard 4 wheelers hate the IFS and wish the twin I beam was back. There are ways to unhook IFS, but if I need that much articulation, I should get a Jeep.
    Regardless, nits, but thanks for your opinion. Mine is at 23K after 1 year and running great. Smooth acceleration, plenty of power and tons of torque.
    In regard to power, yes Tacoma has more HP but do not forget that around 70% of the weight of trucks is in the front. With more hp the chances of breaking tires loose increases. Quite frankly I would agree with vince in this case regarding limited slip. Having LS might help if/when tires start to break loose to help retain lateral control. Combine that with 4 wheel ABS and you, in my humble opinion, have a bit safer vehicle.

mvigliancol:
    "...do you want to drive the same truck as everyone else?"
    Sure, why not. Allows for more junk yard parts when I go to fix mine. Plus, keeps the initial price down.
  • Options
    Cpousnr,
    Can you post that direct link to the Tacoma regarding it bending in the middle. I am not too keen where it is exactly at the web site. Thanks.

How many truck owners' keep sand in the back of their truck during the winter? Also, for those that have caps on the truck bed have you noticed that the rear end is planted more securely then without the cap?
  • Options
    trenttrent Member Posts: 86
    I haven't yet put a cap on my Ranger yet but my previous truck had a fiberglass cover that you could definitely feel was there. I could tell a difference in traction and acceleration (2wd) without it.
  • Options
    cthompson21cthompson21 Member Posts: 1,102
    I am sick and tired of hearing people constantly posting about the RESALE VALUE of their vehicle. If this was such a big factor in your purch decision, why even buy it at all? When I bought my truck 2yrs ago, resale value hardly crossed my mind. I bought my truck and will probably keep it until it dies or I give it away (many yrs down the road). If resale value was such a big deal, why should you even worry about the vehicle's reliability? You can buy an extended warranty for less than a grand and then worry about resale value all the live long day. Then, just sell it before the extended warranty expires.

This stuff about "why would you want a truck everyone else drives." It's like saying: Don't be part of the group. Join our group. It's great because we're not a group. Do you see how ridiculous that sounds?
  • Options
    My bedliner has notches to put a couple of 2x4s across the bed to keep the sand in place. The sand tubes (60lbs) from Home Depot work really well. Stick 4 of those in your bed over your rear axle, and you're good to go.
  • Options
    ponmponm Member Posts: 139
    Actually, both the tacoma and the ranger were five speed manuals. I heard many compliments about the rangers 5 speed automatic. I believe after test driving the ranger's five speed manual, i would probably opt for the auto.

cpousnr: I found the quality of the rangers interior to be one of the high points of the ranger, i just didn't care for some of the placements. But overall, the interior did not feel cheap and the seats felt supportive. In additions to my review, i liked the brakes on the tacoma more then the brakes on the ranger. I don't have the statisics on the tacoma or the ranger in 60-o stopping distance, but the tacoma's brakes felt more stable.
  • Options
    I have the cap and though I don't know the weight of the cap it does have a better grip with the cap. When driving I notice that the aerodynamic of air pushes the truck bed down with a downward force. I did see a 4x4 Taco one time with a wing on top of the cap at the rear end. Maybe it was for looks, but I have to think it is also functional. Thanks for your feedback.
  • Options
    I kept sand in the back of old my 92 Ford conversion van and F150 and can say it helped a great deal. Only thing was that the F150 did not have a cap. I also have two slots in the bedliner where I can put boards across in front and in back of the rear wheel on the Taco.
  • Options
    oops, i misread your question. i thought it said something about keeping the weight from sliding around. Anyways, I have a 4x4, but i still use some weight in the bed during winter months. My wife got into a wreck during the first light snow (<1") probably because I hadn't put in the sand yet. I think that my bed also has the notches, but it's been a while since i put in the liner.
  • Options
    Hindsite i too am of the weight in the bed school. New England usually has some pretty bad weather and adding weight does help. I have the liner with the slots. I put a couple of 2x's in there and keep rock salt bags for weight. My theory is if you or someelse gets stuck, the salt will melt all that is around the wheel.

Works for me!
    -wsn
  • Options
    I really couldnt care less about what anyone drives but me and I am not a recruiter for some anti-group. My only point was to counter spoogs point about sales figures being relevant. Just dont tell me your vehicle is better then mine because it sells more. That would be like saying that Celine Deon(sp?) is a better musician than Miles Davis because she sells more records. GM sells more cars then Ford, does that make them better? You tell me.

I drove my friends Ranger with 57K for the first time since purchasing Tacoma and it was definately "over the hill". The engine made alot of noise but thats about all it did. It made me happy about my purchase.
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Its funny how people keep saying Rangers don't last but refuse to visit any other Ranger sites on the internet where people are posting Rangers with 100, 200 and even 300K miles logged on thier 2.3, 3.0 or even 4.0 engines.
    And isn't a legend a half true story?
    And if you Toyota fans would venture out a bit onto the internet you will see the headgaket issue is not over!
  • Options
    The scope of my previous statement about the Ranger was limited to that particular Ranger. 100K should not merrit a celebration for any car, you should expect a vehicle to last this long with proper maintenance not get excited about it. Every car my family has ever owned has lasted over 100k, wait, nevermind, my mom's Taurus did last December with, hmmm, oh yeah a blown headgasket at 67K. So dont feel so confident that it wont happen to your Ford. These things happen to all vehicles
  • Options
    I meant vince's comment about sales figures, not Spoog.
  • Options
    I never said that sales figures makes a one vehicle better than another. You seem to be saying that the taco is somehow more appealing because there's less of them on the road. That's ridiculous.

Sales figures DO matter when it comes to prices, which is inherent in value. It also matters for a company to be profitable (they need sales for this). How would you expect a faltering company to produce one-off production vehicles, such as my own SVT Contour? Would a break-even company put together something like the Special Vehicle Team and bring us cobras, lightnings, adrenalins, and SVO's?
  • Options
    y2ktrdy2ktrd Member Posts: 81
    As for as price is concerned.........you get what
    you pay for!
  • Options
    Cthompson
    I usually likewise keep some weight in the back of the truck. Regarding that light snow just recently over the Xmas holiday I was driving up to Buffalo. It just started to snow a bit and noticed the Blazer two cars in back of me suddenly veered off the road. At that moment I knew I was in a bad situation, so I put it in 4 hi and drove on. What I had thought was snow had turned to ice. Sadly the stretch of road filled with accidents.

Wsnoble,
    Well I usually keep a short handle shovel & tow strap in the back of my cars or truck.

Spoog,
    So what are the positives for the Ranger? There are a lot of positives and the Ranger is a viable choice for a good solid vehicle.
  • Options
    I guess you could get that tacoma, or you could get a ranger which:

-provides all of the off-road ability for >99% of potential owners

-has very high percentages of crash survivability

-costs less to insure

-costs less for replacement parts should something wear out or break

-has most parts in stock (high sales = little or no waiting)

-has a huge aftermarket following to modify to your heart's desire (including turbo's, superchargers, nitrous, headers, body & suspension lifts, etc... in multiple forms from multiple manufacturers)

-has many, many dealers for service and purchaser leverage to get great deals

-has a heritage dating back to the turn of the century with a company that built some of the first trucks

-has huge flexibility in options, so you don't pay for what you don't need/want

-offers a limited slip differential for those who want better traction but not 4wd

-has a suspension that is capable off-road while still comfortable on-road

-has plenty of torque (in 4.0 form) to easily tow heavy loads

-has excellent interior ergonomics

-has excellent dealer incentives like rebates and special financing

All this while paying thousands less. Just some food for thought.
  • Options
    Funny you should mention that. About 4yrs back, I was driving my Blazer on x-mas eve to a party. It was raining, but was freezing on the road surface where it changed from concrete to asphalt. It spun, hit a ditch, and flipped a couple of times while only traveling about 35mph. There were something like 30 other accidents in an 8mile radius during that hour or so.

The people who are usually stuck/wrecked are the ones with 4wd/AWD. Overconfidence can be dangerous. My wreck was humbling and taught me a valuable lesson. My wife just learned recently too at the expense of my truck. Oh well... at least no one was hurt in either case. All it takes is a split second for vehicle safety to be your only concern.
  • Options
    spoogspoog Member Posts: 1,224
    Yes, its always a good idea to have some weight in the back of the truck during the winter months.

4wd does not equal sandpaper like traction in the snow.

Unfortunately, you see alot of new truck drivers assuming that 4wd = sandpaper like braking in the snow.

SUV's are generally better than pickups in the snow due to the obvious weight difference over the rear wheels.

As for pickups, it's always a good idea to put some weight back there in the winter months.
  • Options
    anonymousanonymous Member Posts: 314
    Hindsite:
    Let me answer your questions/

In regard to the crash test, there is no web site. The initial Dateline segment was not favorable to the Tacoma however a FOLLOW-UP on the crash test of the large sedans opened with the small p/u tests, showing the Tacoma from above.
    I will back down on 6-12 inch bend, as I cannot really measure from a quick picture on the TV but it DID bend a bit, the upper part of the door opened a few inches etc. I was just SUGGESTING maybe it could have been because of the 5 cross members instead of 7 in a Ranger. I will look for the site on the 7 vs 5 cross members Ranger vs Tacoma extended cab vehicles. That higher number would support the one claim I saw of a 400% increase in overall Ranger vehicle strength vs pre-98 vehicles.

In regard to sand, I usually carry 2 70 lb tubes up in the front of the bed and have up to 3 50 lb tubes I can add. My house is on a cul-du-sac with a 2-3% grade up and snow will turn to ice in front of the house. If I park there, usually I will just spin the tires unless I back down to bare pavement. That is why I only SUGGESTED that the higher HP engines could result in more tire spinning in icy conditions. When I am hauling 1300 lb of H2O in my tank in the rear the truck digs in real nice in snow/dirt/etc and does not budge. Hmmmm, how can a 1,260 lb capacity truck haul over 1,300 lb of water plus passengers. Hmmmmmmm.

Well site, my son who returned from the Army training decided to buy a truck, and we found what we consider a very good deal on a 94 Toyota DX 4X4 extra cab, all the bells and whistles except power group, new 31 inch tires, new paint job, higher mileage at 95K and 3.0 V6 (head gasket replaced on the recall). It may need brakes sometime soon but I have done many a brake job. Asking $7500 but accepted $6500. Trying to get it for the weekend. My son is excited.
    I recommended he get the Toyota because it appeared sound and was a great price. A guy bought a screen repair business, got the truck included but wanted to upgrade to full size trucks (psst, he is getting Ford F150's) so I guess he could let it go cheap. He just put it in the supermarket lot, did not even spend money to advertise.

That Trailhead Ranger seems like a nice way to go. Ford is taking a page from the PreRunner. . .
  • Options
    That 3.0 liter 6 isn't exaclty the most bullet proof toyota engine. The 22re, although slightly weaker, is a mouch more solid engine.

At any rate, your getting a heck of a deal on it, so why not.

pay attention to my comments that " toyota pickups just began their lives at 100k miles".

Take the thing for a drive and feel how solid that beast is.

As for the brake job, take notice of the excellent quality and heavy duty parts used when you do it. Compare that to your newer Ranger......

I had an older 91 toyota pickup 22re 4wd that I had for 179k miles. It's still going strong, as I sold it to my cousin up in Wisconsin.
    It was an excellent truck. It lacked some oomph in the passing department, but was a real tough vehicle. Had some hilarious times with that old beast.

Is this used Toyota stick or auto? Maybe you can check out the clutch/start/cancel switch if it's a manual.
  • Options
    OK hind, don't know how this is going to go. My friend is here that owns the Tacoma TRD that I speak of. He doesn't want his own sign on name, he doesn't own a computer anyway. Some may laugh and say, its me not my friend, In other words I don't know any other way to prove that he is sitting here beside me and I'm not typing this.
    Here he is...

I don't know where to start this. I don't own a computer so bear with me. I own a Tacoma TRD and am very happy with it. I guess, Vince told you about the headgasket, I don't care, I still love the truck and would take it over a Ranger anyday. Vince is good at offroading. We have hit the hills a few times together and his offroading skills are up to snuff. We give each other a bad time about each others trucks but its all in good fun. The Ranger is not a bad truck and can offroad and go anywhere my TRD can. I feel my TRD is more solid offroad but the Ranger will get you there. I would like to say somthing about the TRD package. After owning it I don't feel I really needed it. I feel a Tacoma without the TRD package will get you where most people want to go. I like the looks of the Tacoma better and have owned other Toyota's in the past that have been good. Finally, I like my Tacoma and Vince like his Ranger. Both are capable trucks.

Well he didn't have anymore to say hind. Sorry you didn't get what you were hoping for, a Ranger bashathon. I told you he was level headed, yet dedicated to his Tacoma.

Hitting the slopes this weekend with my kids and the sleds, and my Ranger!
  • Options
    I will take a man's word that what he says is true. Okay? Let me get this straight with you about the bashing. Not all Taco owners are here to bash the Ranger and visa-versa.

Well, your friend made a fair statement about the Ranger & Tacoma. Whatever they both are pickup trucks when it comes down to it.
  • Options
    meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    SOME of y'awl have a serious problem with "civil" discourse....

as required by our Participant's Agreement. Keep it on the topic and not on the participant. No name calling or gratuitous insults!

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
  • Options
    Well , I do hope that you were not hurt in the accident. Chevy has the autotrac and it would be nice if Ford or Toyota were to offer that feature.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply regarding the Tacoma and the bending. Can you clarify if the bending was in the body or frame? Did they show a photo of the frame?
  • Options
    It seems that I have been censored, I know I did not insult anyone and I am sure it was on the topic.
  • Options
    Hello....I realize I was just censored.

My problem with it is that there was not one single use of PROFANITY at ALL in what I posted.

So please(seeing as that post is/was my property, email my deleted/censored post so I can "edit" whatever it is/was you found so offensive(you would be grasping for straws).

My posts have ALWAYS been on topic, pertinent, and informative. I feel I have respected this forum and it's users by not resorting to profanity. In fact, I feel I have perhaps single handedly made this the strongest forum in
    Edmunds Town Hall.

You will NOT find a more factfull, informative forum than Tacoma vs Ranger version 569.

Again, please email me the censored/deleted post so that I may edit it. Thank You.
  • Options
    No the Dateline article did not show the frame and it in retrospect would be difficult to state that the frame bent. However, you can see the vehicle bend around the machine that impacted at 30mph. It could have been the attached fenders,etc responding to the force of a side impact.

Here are the post areas regarding the cross members. I was in error, my Ranger has eight cross members, Tacoma lists only five. Unclear of that is for the extended cab or just the basic truck. However, as a minimum, Ranger has 2 more cross members on it's regular cab vs the number cited for Tacoma.

I do not want to make a big deal out of this, just more info to make a decision.

At least 7 steel ross members on a Ranger, 5 on a Tacoma. Does that make a stronger?
    You be the judge.

http://carpoint.msn.com/vip/Heraud/Ford/Ranger/1999O.asp

Technical Features
    The Ranger's steel body is mounted to a steel frame containing seven crossmembers (eight on SuperCabs). The front suspension is similar to an F-150's, consisting of unequal-length control arms and coil springs on 2WD versions and torsion bars on 4WD models. The solid rear axle is suspended by leaf springs. Steering is by rack and pinion. Front disc and rear drum brakes include standard rear-wheel anti-lock; 4-wheel ABS is optional. Four-wheel drive is engaged with a switch on the dashboard. Unfortunately, there is no center differential. Four-wheel drive can only be engaged on loose surfaces at low speeds.

Hmmmm. Then how come I engage my 4 wheel drive up to 50 mph on the highway?

http://carpoint.msn.com/vip/Heraud/Toyota/Tacoma/1999O.asp

Technical Features
    This pickup truck is built on a steel frame with five crossmembers. The front suspension is a double wishbone setup with a stabilizer bar. The solid rear axle is supported by leaf springs. Steering is by rack-and-pinion. Brakes are front disc and rear drum, with optional 4-wheel anti-lock. The engine, transfer case and gas tank on 4X4 Tacomas are protected by skidplates. Tacoma engines choices include 142 horsepower and 150 horsepower 4-cylinder engines and a 3.4-liter V6 that delivers 190 horsepower. Four-wheel drive can be engaged on the fly. Safety-wise, Tacomas are fitted with side-impact beams, dual airbags and height-adjustable shoulder belts for the front seats. The spacious extended cab is equipped with forward-facing auxiliary seats that can be folded flat to hold cargo.

I do not THINK the Toyota has a center differential. Why was that not a disadvantage on the Tacoma as it was on the Ranger?
  • Options
    modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    How is explaining what TRD is and sharing race results violate the Participants Agreement? An explanation would be highly appreciated so I won't error again.
  • Options
    Where are you? You can't just come in here , rip out some harmless posts, and ignore peoples requests for the posts in question to be mailed to them.

If the folks at Edmunds want lower poster traffic to these sites due to the shizophrenic nature of the censors, they are doing a good job.

People simply wont post if they know there is a possibility their hard earned posts will be erased for their opinions and NOT their content(IE profanity).
  • Options
    "Hmmmm. Then how come I engage my 4 wheel drive up to 50 mph on the highway"

Hey Cspounser....the problem is that you are taking that ignorant review seriously. The guy did not even ENGAGE the 4wd systems at all. He is a CAR REVIEWER , NOT A TRUCK reviewer.

Do you buy that your Rnager has bad mileage, is a sloppy handler, that the brakes are garbage, and the ride is uncomfortable?

Well thats what your budyy HUARD says at the Carpoint review.

http://carpoint.msn.com/vip/Heraud/Ford/Ranger/1999O.asp

Check the cons section of the Ranger. He also rips the heck out of the 4wd system of the Ranger, calling the Explorers 4wd system "better". Yeah Right.

The problem Cspounser, is that you are even quoting that garbage review. The guy basically SLAMS the Ranger.

Why are you even contemplating 4wd issues and HUARDS review? He NEVER goes into specific detail on the 4wd characteristics, and NEVER mentions that he even engaged the 4wd systems.

It's kind of like a monkey trying to shake a banana from a coconut tree. It looks stupid, and it just isn't going to happen.
  • Options
    daniel40daniel40 Member Posts: 34
    I have read this post over and over. You
    may see my name in here time after time but
    I barely ever post. I like Fords (lately) because
    they have started to build cars and trucks that
    are of higher quality (my opinion) then any of
    the other domestics. This post is obviously
    one of the most popular and controversial posts
    in Edmunds. But here is my question ...
    If price wasn't an issue which truck would you
    buy?
    They are really in kind of two different classes.
    If Ford could only get a "modern engine" and
    a suspension with more travel and bigger tires
    then we would have an even spicier post.
  • Options
    In the past I could see outside intervetion coming our way, but this time it was a complete shock to me. I think it would be good to post the problem with whatever post sparked this since we all seem to be questioning what started all this...

Front Porch?

-wsn
  • Options
    Basically those cross members are there for lateral support for the two main members. What is more relevant is the material properties of the two main members.
  • Options
    I posted to show the guys opinion regarding the cross members. Maybe an answer as to the crash test results and the 300-400 lb extra in a Ranger that is basically the same size of the Tacoma.

All opinions are welcome. I would not say he slams the Ranger if it is just a 2-3% behind Tacoma in his review. All opinions have value, even yours.

Mileage:
    Well, last tank in town was right at 18mpg, last trip including some 4X4 low running was 20.8.

I do not consider that real BAD mileage but do consider that I air my tires down to 27 front, 30 rear to keet the tread from wearing out in the middle. I have the 31X10.5's instead of the 235's do not forget.

Daniel:
    I still think I would choose the Ford. Just prefer the looks/handeling/utility/etc.
  • Options
    barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    You ask a good question.I would buy the ranger because it is american even though parts of the ranger are whatever and parts of the tacoma are american or built in america.Ford is an american name and I believe in supporting my Country.I'm sure the Toyota name supports a lot of american families also,I work for a union and I've worked through some good times and bad times, a lot of union people try to support there american products as much as possible to try to keep the american people working.I'm not trying to be negative towards foreign products but I know guys who have lost there homes when times go bad so I try to support as much as possible.
  • Options
    Thanks. Ford is saying that the new frames are much stronger, I have read 400%, than the old ones because of the additional cross members up under the cab. Sounded reasonable.
  • Options
    Ford has built trucks for a long time I think since 49 for the pickup. Reading the history of the Ranger, they took the Mazda idea and made it in America. There is intrinsic value in that.

Many parts, inexpensively priced and used parts are plentiful for the older Rangers.

23,000 miles and only minor issues. Wipers and a door switch.
  • Options
    That's a pretty interesting question...

If price were no issue, I'd be driving a Roush F150 4x4 extended cab flareside with the supercharged 5.4L Triton V8 (about 350hp, 450ft/lbs of torque) with every goodie that could be packed inside.

Between the ranger and tacoma, it would be very close. If toyota could increase torque output, improve vehicle safety, and improve the interior (better seats, ergonomics, and less blah plastic bits and such), the taco would probably get the vote. But, this tacoma does not exist, and the ranger tops out on the list of best truck for me (well, currently anyways).
  • Options
    barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    I would be right you in my roush F150. awesome truck have you checked out www.steeda.com they have a nice package also, they even have a steeda ranger but that page is under construstion.
  • Options
    Whoa, we are being watched. I thought a few of us, including myself would be banned from Edmunds after I hit the post key a couple of times in response to some of the RAnger bashing.
    Well, bought a scanner today, will hook it up tonight. More Ranger pictures to follow.
    For all of you. I bought a very nice option from LUND for the front of grill of my Ranger. Its a screen that clips in and is meshed. It helps keep the rocks, twigs, bugs out of your radiator. Looks nice makes the front of the truck look good too! Anyone interested? I got it from JC Whitney. The Ford quad cab comes out sometime this month, can't wait to test drive it!
  • Options
    yeah, i saw that a few weeks ago. i wonder what they're doing with the ranger. it could be interesting. some supercharged ranger modifers speak of 350hp with only bolt-ons (and extensive tranny mods) on www.rangerpowersports.com.

the steeda f150 looks pretty nice, but it doesn't exceed the performance of the lightning and doesn't have 4x4. the stage 2 roush f150 can be had in 4x4 form, but it probably still can't outrun a lightning.
  • Options
    Daniel that is a toss up for me on which truck I would take over the other truck if money were not the issue. I cannot deny the fact that I have been very satisfy with my Tacoma. Then again I have faired much better with Toyotas overall than Fords in the past. This is the present and I know that there have been improvements made in Ford cars and trucks. In all fairness I like the four door Ranger option, then again three of my cars have four doors. I would take the Tacoma only for the fact that I am comfortable with it.
  • Options
    ponmponm Member Posts: 139
    I recently checked with my insurance company on insuring three individual trucks, the 4x4 5-speed extended cab 4.0l Ford ranger, Nissan frontier 4x4 5-speed v-6 extended cab, and the toyota tacoma 4x4 extended cab v-6, 5-speed. The cheapest of the three: Nissan frontier, and forty dollars more every six months for a tie was the tacoma and the ranger. Exactly the same, which surprised me considering many say insuring the tacoma costed more.
  • Options
    Hey do you think the Tacoma could also tow a "Rouche(aka lasts 4 years tops)" F150 up a steep muddy incline? lol.

Ford and Chevy(especially Chevy ) are known for "junking" up their vehicles with all kinds of uselss garbage and decals. blah.

Thats the kind of thing you hear rattling and creaking down the road in two years.

Just like Cspounser's defects. Doesn't Cspounser already have a defective window and wipers? Chalk that one up the the NHSTA DEFECT INVESTIGATION stat file.
This discussion has been closed.