Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota TACOMA vs Ford RANGER - III

Comments

• spoogspoog Member Posts: 1,224
    Using DEJA as a source? Give me a break. Its a bunch of trolls and meat heads posting useless garbage. THeir consumer review program is a joke.

It's really a pointless forum.

Tompson writes:

"Speaking from personal experience, my dad had a'89
    ranger (traded it in at 75K for an F150),"

Personal experience references don't cut it in this forum. As we all know, humans are inclined to lie about their insecurities and purchases.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Kind of like my friend did with his headgasket going on his Tacoma?? He didn't want me to know because he knows how much of a Ranger fan I am and how much I will rub salt in the wound. At about 30K his headgasket went! YEEEEHA! Love that Toyota headgasket. And I notice noone answered a Tacoma question about pink liquid all over the diff in the other engine chat. I wonder how many Tacoma owners just hide problems and don't want anyone to know because of embarressment, since they are supposed to last to 1 billion miles with only one oil change. LOL.
    Tacoma is an expensive compact truck. If you feel its worth the extra 3-4K go for it. I'll keep my money and invest it in some real return. In todays Oregonian newspaper they are advertising loaded Rangers for 19K! I mean loaded 4.0 5spd auto, remote entry, the works. No way can you get a Tacoma loaded with the same options for less than 22K.
    See you in the hills!
  • katsohiskatsohis Member Posts: 83
    the tacoma will always be a better truck no matter what you say ok?it's just a fact thats all
    deal with it!
    OK, I lay down and rollover. NOT!!!!! The Ranger by far is the best all around truck. Best crash test, best interior, best ride. Sorry I burst your bubble katso. And as much as all Tacoma owners want to say sales don't matter. They do, they make money for the company. And for 12 years the Ranger has dominated the compact truck market. Every ask yourself why??
  • benz88benz88 Member Posts: 42
    Well there is the 0.9% financing that FORD offers to entice people to buy their trucks. There is the buy American sales campaign that some people just love. And anyone with a FORD truck probably replaces their truck more often. If the Ranger is really that good I expect to see alot more MAZDA's on the road. I just love the Troy Lee sticker. LOL.
  • sredman1sredman1 Member Posts: 66
    best off road vehicle= Tacoma... if you have any questions of that please direct them to spoog... he will gladly answer them all...

Most reliable= Tacoma... c'mon its a toyota.. once again at least the Ranger isn't the S-10

Best on road performance = Ranger... all the off road trade offs pay off on the pavement.. and spoog performance does NOT only = 0-60 times.

best price= ranger.. gotta keep it the best selling small truck..

exterior appearance (4x4)... toss up... the top of the line tacoma looks a little tougher i will admit.. but it does need some 16" rims tho..

exterior appearance (4x2).. Ranger... the taco looks like it has already been lowered at the factory

interior appearance.. Ranger.. the Tacoma interior is the same as it was in the eighties(whatever they called it then)..
  • cthompson21cthompson21 Member Posts: 1,102
    I, and hopefully most people, would think that personal experience to be the best resource available for just about anything. Talking to people who have owned the particular vehicle and driving the vehicle yourself is an absolute must.

The fact that any knowledge comes from 2 magazine articles and your absolute silence to any technical question I might post to you tells us all of your ignorance in anything automotive.

The only reason that you critisize the website (deja) is because it doesn't just absolutely rave about the tacoma. If it did, you'd be singing it praises all the live long day...

I'll bet you did post there, though. You were JB who posted "I bought a 99 Prerunner and just love it. Offroad capibilities a bit limited but still fun. Great commuter truck. I only wish I would have forked over the bucks for a 4x4 Tacoma." right? I thought you said you had a 4x4 TRD???
    Uh, that's a pretty convincing argument... LOL You should submit some of your stuff to the automotive press. They'll pick you up in no time, and you'll be making the big bucks.
    http://www.fordnews.com/kbb.htm

not bad for a company nicknamed "fix or repair daily" :)
    Uh, that's a pretty convincing argument... LOL You should submit some of your stuff to the automotive press. They'll pick you up in no time, and you'll be making the big bucks.
    People Buy the ford Over the mazda Exclusively for the nameplate. Most people wold rather have a FORD nameplate over a Mazda one.. i do like the mazda grill better tho.. the Tacoma Owners here HAVE TOO understand the image thing LOL... Sorry couldnt help it.. my appologies
    Sredman writes:

"Best on road performance = Ranger... all the off
    road trade offs pay off on the pavement.. and spoog
    performance does NOT only = 0-60 times."

Sredman, have you been paying attention? I have already stated numerous times that there is more to performance than 0-60 times.

When 4 wheeler says the Tacoma beats the Ranger in every single performance category, they are ALSO talking about braking, turning, offroading, climbing, 0-60, and ON-ROAD handling.

I think something needs to be cleared up. A smoother ride on the highway does NOT mean better handling on the pavement. It just means a smoother ride.
    Sorry, but the on road handling handling has to also go the the tacoma. It brakes better, turns better, handles better, ect. Check out the 4wheeler stats. THey say the Tacoma beats the Ranger in every single performance category.
    INCLUDING on pavement handling.

Again, lets clear something up.

A SMOOTH PAVEMENT RIDE DOES NOT MEAN BETTER HANDLING.

Anyone ever driven in a porchse 911? The best stock handling cars made. And you know what? they are NOT the smoothest riding car. YOu can feel the road in them. You drive them, they dont drive you. YOu get an element of control, of "road feel".
    The Mazda B-Series is actually priced a little cheaper than the Ranger too, but you are limited in configurations. I didn't get the Mazda because you couldn't get the 4.0 in a reg cab. The whole thing with the Troy Lee pkg is rediculous. It looks rediculous. The only thing I like is the leather buckets. Those would be nice in my truck...
  • river7river7 Member Posts: 17
    My better half has had both a Ranger and now has a Tacoma. I can't really say much about the fully loaded Ranger because she had a 4x2 regular cab with no options....and no engine just a blender under the hood. Although she got 120k miles out of it.

First of all the price thing on the comparison is a little nuts. If anyone is paying full sticker for the Toyota their nuts. It's a very nice truck don't get me wrong but for 25k!!! We got a Tacoma with everything (except the flippin' TRD pkg.)for $18,500, now to me that was worth it. Seeing as how the Ford dealers in the area were being dicks with the prices they were quoting.

We have about 35k miles and everything is as it should be. We have used the truck for some minor off-road excursions to go mountain biking or camping but anyone who takes a stock Ranger or Tacoma out for serious offroad use is crazy anyway, insurance is too high it's better to just buy a beater for real off road use.

I had to say my peace.

River
  • cpousnrcpousnr Member Posts: 1,611
    briscoe1:
    FIRSt, I was just funnin you, hope you did not take it tooooo seriously. Please post again, everyones opinions are valued here.
    BUT....
    From Edmunds, the strengths of the Jeep are:
    "The Wrangler continues to be the off-road icon, even unmodified...Its performance off-road is unmatchable. The Wrangler's Quadra-Coil suspension allows an additional 7 inches of articulation over the old leaf-spring setup,
    thus resulting in increased approach and departure angles..."
    The articulation, a Tacoma and Ranger does not even come CLOSE to the articulation of a JEEP, PLUS the fact the Tacma and Ranger have over 65% of their weight on the front wheels, PLUS a Jeep SERIOUSLY out turns either truck PLUS its wheel base is SIGNIFICANTLY shorter than either truck places my money on the Jeep.

Spoog, when you gonna learn I did not just fall off the turnip truck? At the 1997 Camp Jeep at Camp Hale Colorado, which is in an area the 10th Mountain Division trained for moutain fighting in WWII, the recovery vehicle used was a JEEP. Now there were only close to 2,000 jeep owners there learning more about thier Jeeps, so it is not ALL the Jeep trips but COME ON! Deal with reality, the Tacoma is no where NEAR the capability of a JEEP.

And it has been independently, NUMERIOUS times comparted basically EQUAL to a Ranger.
    from consumer reports:
    tacoma.."Handling is unimpressive, and the ride is choppy and uncomfortable. Bumpy curves make the Tacoma leap and bound."

Ranger.."civilized trappings like air conditioning and power accessories can't disguise the truckiness of the Ranger and similar Mazda
    B-Series. But among compact pickups, they're the best. Handling is good, though the ride is stiff.

Edmunds:
    ranger: "Well-controlled overall, with good steering feedback, Rangers handle easily, corner capably, maneuver neatly, and stay reasonably stable on curves. Occupants aren't likely to complain about the ride, either, though it can grow bouncy around town."

ehhh damn work.. more to come...
  • mviglianco1mviglianco1 Member Posts: 283
    My TRD rides exceptionaly well. Just like many have found faults with the FourWheeler article I would have to say the same for Consumer Reports. Everyone here, besides Spoog, seems to agree that first hand experiences carry much more weight then magazine articles. Besides, that is why we are all posting here in the first place.

I have to disagree with Consumer Reports assesment of Tacomas handling. Everyone that has ridden or driven my Tacoma has commented on how much they like the way it handles. These people drive all different makes of vehicles of which I will list: Mercedes-Benz SLK230, BMW 325, Toyota 4-Runner, FORD RANGER, Honda Civic Si, Ford Explorer, Izuzu Trooper. Every single one of them approached me to say that they liked the way it handled, I said nothing to bring up the subject. My friend who drives the BMW said that driving my truck made him decide to upgrade to performance shocks/struts on his 325. My Ranger driving friend said that it felt like more of a truck then her Ranger and that she liked the higher point of view. I know this depends on options such as wheel and tire size and none of what I say is meant to put down the Ranger. My point is that if the Tacoma handles so poorly, why would drivers of BMWs and Mercedes compliment the way it handles? If you belive the FourWheeler article is biased, isn't it possible for the Consumer Reports article to be biased? You cant really belive that the C.R. article was written by actual consumers.
    Sredman writes :

"truckiness of the Ranger and similar Mazda
    B-Series. But among compact pickups, they're the
    best. Handling is good, though the ride is stiff.Edmunds:"

And where are the numbers for this? Where is the skid pad, ect?

ranger: "Well-controlled overall, with good
    steering feedback, Rangers handle easily, corner
    capably, maneuver neatly, and stay reasonably
    stable on curves. Occupants aren't likely to
    complain about the ride, either, though it can growbouncy around town."

Ahhh here we go, more fluffy conjecture from
    the mind of one reviewer. Where are the numbers to back up these claims? Let me guess, the next paragraph in these reviews goes on to mention 4 door "functionality" and how "neat" it was to move a nice peice of furniture to their friend Billy bobs in the burbs.

Again, where are the comparison numbers here? I dont see that data. I just hear subjective fluff without any testing.
    "And it has been independently, NUMERIOUS times
    comparted basically EQUAL to a Ranger."

What has? The mazda?
  • travtrav Member Posts: 2
    I'll tell you one thing, Toyota is not the way to go. You cant even compare go with the Ford.
    Check out this link:

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/

click on "offroad adventures" and wait for the picture to load. Oh, and enjoy watching the Tacoma tow out a lifted, full size f150 with hog tires TWICE.

YOur right, there is no comparison.
    just looking at the pics spoog linked to... they kinda pissed me off..and it had nothing to do with the nameplates. Mountain bikers have always respected the trails they ride on and not rode them when they are drenched with water.. now why cant offroaders provide the same respect for the land that they play in..... just some thoughts..

"there is something to be said for walking: its the one mode of human locomotion by which a man proceeds on his own two feet, upright, erect, as a man should be, not squating on his rear haunches like a frog." - E.A.

p.s. please dont make any of the "since you bought a ford you better get used to walking" jokes.. would have been funny tho ;)
    Spoog, I notice you don't post the pic of the F150 towing out the Tacoma? Why?
    The RAnger is the winner hands down here. Has been for 13 Years straight now.
    Talked with my Jeepin buddy and he laughed his head off at you "Tacoma yuppie pups" as he said. May take some time to put you in your place he said. He was at Browns camp which is in the coast range by Tillamook Oregon about 2 weeks ago and pulled 3 Toyotas out of jams. I'm telling you, you guys are way over confident in your Tacomas.
    I'm going up in the snow this next weekend and do some playing in my "grocery getter" I'll be sure to look for some yuppie Tacoma pups.
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    That insecurity about your Ford is driving you into Toyota only rooms (I know this isn't one)!
    Hey vince, I like how you always seem to come up with these "personal sources" always right on time. lol.

If you can read, several jeepers were just in here talking about the Tacomas and Jeeps abilities.
    Actually, ONe guy was just in here who sold his Jeep for a Tacoma. A few of them also said that they will acknowledge Toyota's , but NOTHING else.
    IN fact, Jeepers like the Yotas. They are really two of a kind when it comes to engineering philosophy.

I suggest you scroll back a bit. One jeeper even said he didnt even CONSIDER the Ranger after owning a Jeep, and he said many Jeepers just laugh about the Rangers "offroad" abilities.

Sredman:

Sometimes I agree with you about the destruction of the ecosystem. It gets a ittle out of hand.
    Yes, the f150 DOES pull out the Tacoma once. But big deal. Any full size should be able to pull out a compact. The f150 gets pulled twice.
    spoog says:
    "Yes, the f150 DOES pull out the Tacoma once. But
    big deal. Any full size should be able to pull out
    a compact. The f150 gets pulled twice"

Where is that written? Cite your sources that objectivelly state that is what the picture shows.
    All I see is pictures of an F150 and a Tacoma with straps between and it would APPEAR the F150 is pulling the Tacoma along as it goes into the bog. The other picture in question are to the FRONT of the F150 indicating the Ford went FORWARD and there is NO indication that there is a bog in front of the F150.

I THINK the F150 just was in the lead hooked up to the Tacoma as a safety measure for both trucks as you progress from picture 12, 17 and 18.

Now picture 00001 is definitely a stuck Tacoma.

Oh, forgot, Consumer Reports 1999 yearly issue is out with the Ranger/Mazda is check rated as the Best buy, indicating that it is of significantly quality and low cost to get the rating. Other vehicles to get the rating are Camry, Tundra, ...(do I REALLY need to go on?)...Let me see that is 8 out of the last 10 years I think?
    you think that NO ONE ever selects the ranger as best, not to mention Four Wheeler MAgizine, what was it in my posts, TWICE in the past 8 years?

Spoog you crack me up. When I tweek you bad you start misspelling like crazy.

Let me finish by saying. . .

FIVE STAR SIDE IMPACT CRASH TEST, LESS THAN 10 % CHANCE OF INJURY
    VS
    ONE STAR SIDE IMPACT CRASH TEST, GREATER THAN 45% CHANCE OF SERIOUS INJURY
    "you think that NO ONE ever selects the ranger as
    best, not to mention Four Wheeler MAgizine, what
    was it in my posts, TWICE in the past 8 years?"

And what trucks did it compete against?

good ole' cspousner, always making excuses for the
    ranger.

heres an "a" for effort Cspounser. Its just too bad you dont have any real ammunition to load into that gun.
    in a sense with the Four Wheeler reviews.

They take the trucks that have new or newer configurations and do not compare ALL trucks for a given year.

One of these days spoog you will answer my question about what you can store under your rear seats.
    Mine? I'll say again, a 30ft 10,000lb tow strap, socket set, old toyota wrenches, first aid kit, 6 900lb cargo straps, tow chain, space blankets with chemical hand warmers, maintenance manual, Gazetter detailed map of the state, spare relays and fuses, 100ft length of 1/2inch rope and enough room in the other side for a set of chains. This leaves the entire rear area open for cargo.
    And you place WHAT under your rear seats with the cargo area still open?
    Now not a super capability but a NICE feature on the vehicle.
    Oh, did I MENTION the lights for the rear cargo area. You have them on your Tacoma don't you? No? OH, thats right, all you get is the 3rd stop light on top of the cab.
    Some nice little creature comforts that you do not have to get in an option.
    on the Ranger p/u

SEPTEMBER, 1999

"As far as compact pickups go, many of us here at Edmunds.com feel that the Ranger is the crème de
    la crème. In fact, it gets our nod for best 2000 compact pickup."

That DID say "...BEST..." did it not?

NOT best 4X4, not best buy, not best V6, just BEST small p/u over Nissan, Dodge, S-10 Tacoma...
    Cspounser writes:

"in a sense with the Four Wheeler reviews.

They take the trucks that have new or newer
    configurations and do not compare ALL trucks for a
    given year."

Well, it just so happens that in the ONE 4 wheeleer contest where the Tacoma and Ranger square off, the Tacoma kicks its a@#.

Oh, you MIGHT want to read the June Petersons offroad Ranger vs Tacoma comparison as well. The Tacoma wins yet again.

"One of these days spoog you will answer my
    question about what you can store under your rear
    seats."

Why is this important? lol. Your REALLY grasping at straws here Cspounser. "What can I store under my seats"???? lol!!!!!

Yes, this will determine the better truck, lets see who can stow more under the rear seats.
    Its no surprise you always post those fluffy grocery parking lot reviews with this kind of flawed logic. Doesnt the Ranger have those sideways jump seats?

lol. I can stow plenty of crap.

"Mine? I'll say again, a 30ft 10,000lb tow strap,
    socket set, old toyota wrenches, first aid kit, 6
    900lb cargo straps, tow chain,"

Careful...you may be exceeding your payload rating here...............(1100)

"space blankets with
    chemical hand warmers, maintenance manual, Gazetter
    detailed map of the state, spare relays and fuses,
    100ft length of 1/2inch rope and enough room in
    the other side for a set of chains. This leaves the
    entire rear area open for cargo."

Sounds like all the equipment for a Johnny -wanna-be. Did you toss your Eagle Scout Badge in there as well?

"And you place WHAT under your rear seats with the
    cargo area still open?"

My tools and equipment go in the backseat.

"Now not a super capability but a NICE feature on
    the vehicle."

Right. Thats why they have BEDS. Its too bad you got the cheap-o payload and gearing. Maybe you could utilize it more. I have seen cars with 100 pound payload capacities.

"Oh, did I MENTION the lights for the rear cargo
    area. You have them on your Tacoma don't you? No?
    OH, thats right, all you get is the 3rd stop light
    on top of the cab.
    Some nice little creature comforts that you do not
    have to get in an option."

The front light is more than adequate to use to illuminate the cab. Cspounser, you are REALLy grasping at straws here. CArgo lighs? Under-rear seat storage? lol. Man your grasping for straws.
  • barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    I know this is a tacoma/ranger site but does any one have any opinions on the 2000 dakota quad cab with the 4.7 engine,some of the photos I've seen look nice and the engine is supposed to be a great engine.
    Features spoog, features that the Tacoma doesn't have that make life a bit easier that is what CP is talking about. The Ranger offers a larger supercab, more interior space, 4th door, more comfort. More, more, more than that expensive tiny Tacoma.
    Why is it when a Ranger person quotes facts Tacoma owners seem to fight back with sarcasim and name calling? Facts hurt, you Taco owners paid too much for an overrated over priced, worst crash test, small interior, cheap interior compact truck. The Ranger/Mazda is the best ALL AROUND compact truck on the market today. Sales do matter as much as Toyota Tacoma owners say they don't. The consumer makes the choice and for over 9 years its been the RAnger!
    MMC, I see you are the one squirming asking for help in the Explorer Vs 4-runner room. Didn't like those facts and figures Huh?
    You may actually have to pay attention when you order a ranger to get what you need. Why should you pay for something that you'll never use? Toyota lumps everything in packages, so odds are that you will pay for something you don't need. Maybe this is why the tacoma is the most expensive truck because they just see it as an easy way to line their pockets compliments of the undeserving consumer. Maybe this is why you get so defensive about anything toyota. Do you feel as if you've been ripped off and need to justify your paying so much?

Anyways, the Ranger even equipped with the options that you say are needed by everyone (which obviously isn't true. does someone who hauls 200lbs of mulch each spring need the payload pkg, definately not so why pay for it) costs thousands less then a comparably equipped Tacoma. You'll definately be able to get a better deal too with the large number of ford dealerships and the extreme arrogance of toy salesmen (at least in the 5 or 6 i've been to). The [non-permissible content removed] salesmen completely shot any chance of me ever purchasing a vehicle of any make at their dealership. This was in central Il and the 'burbs of Chicago. My wife and I traded in our Toyota Corolla for a Grand Am. We later repented and traded the Grand Am for an SVT Contour. We did like the Camry, but to get a V6 you had to pay out the [non-permissible content removed].
    Car & Driver said the 4.7L V8 was Chrysler's best engine ever. The 4.7 Dakota Quad Cab outran the Dakota 5.9 R/T. Shame on Dodge for charging so much for a 'sport' truck. I wouldn't consider buying a Dakota. They have had quality control problems with them. My sister's 3.9L Dakota had just about every electrical bug in the book. It's too bad because it's really a great looking truck. The Tundra would probably be a better choice for that size truck, but you'll probably have to pay out the [non-permissible content removed] for a V8 equipped model. Oops, sorry for all the rambling...
    What exactly is the ground clearance on a 4wd tacoma? The specs list it at 10.8 inches. But, I've read in some other postings that Toyota is representing the ground clearance on the front axle, which is not the lowest point on the truck. The ground clearance on the rear axle is supposedly 2 inches lower? Does that mean the Tacoma has about 8.8 inches of ground clearance?
  • mviglianco1mviglianco1 Member Posts: 283
    Last year I rode in the back seat of a newer model Ranger from North Carolina to Boston and if it is bigger then my Tacoma the difference is miniscule. In this Ranger there was no space to store anything.

cthompson21, I will measure my clearance tonight and let you know.
  • keith24keith24 Member Posts: 93
    I've READ that the tacoma 4x4 clearance is 10.8". With the opitonal tires, (265's), clearance increases to 12". However, I don't know exactly where they measure from. Supposedly the best in class.

But don't quote me on this, cause I might be wrong. (There's a shocker, someone actually admitting they might be wrong!)

keith24
  • wsnoblewsnoble Member Posts: 241
    "Why is it when a Ranger person quotes facts Tacoma
    owners seem to fight back with sarcasim and name
    calling? Facts hurt, you Taco owners paid too
    much for an overrated over priced, worst crash
    test, small interior, cheap interior compact truck."

Lets look at this more carefully, shall we.

Sarcasim, vince the king of sarcasm. "Enjoy your sticker" = FACT vince is sarcasitic

Overrated. By whom? this = Fiction/Opinion

Paid to much. That depends on what you personally think is too much and what kind of deal you were able to get = Fiction/Opinion

Worst crash test. According to the NHTSA this is true, but we still don't know if it was on a 4x4 or 4x2 = FACT/UNKNOWN

All interior comments = Fiction/Opinion

Vince i agree that the Ranger is a bit more comfy than a Tacoma (Seats). But not enough to persuade me to buy a Ranger. I think the interior compomets of a Tacoma has a more solid feel. This is my OPINION based on having looked at both.

Vince you often say you are only here or there to defend the Ranger, becaus eyou feel it has come a long way and is now an equal to a Tacoma. That's fine. I don't agree, but fine. Why don't you stick to that position and stop rambling on about opinions and sticker comments

I think it's time we all stick to the Facts and note our responses when opinion are being given. It seems we all have a dificulties identifying the two. Lets talk about real things shall we

CP I can store tons of stuff under my seats in my Taco, but do not have the rear light for the bed and wish i did. The light, as much as i wish i had one, and could probably find one after market, was not enough to make me want to buy another ranger.

Does the ranger come with tiedowns in the bed? My 94 did not and my Taco does. I think that is a nice feature

I think the 4doors option on the ranger is cool but i don't like how they have done the seats to do it. I did like the side facing seats in my 94 Ranger, because when folded up they were completely out of the way. That is no longer the case or the case with my Tacoma.

Toyota does offer child seat compatibility in the xcab. Can you strap a child (in car seat) into a ranger fold down seat? I could not in my 94

Does anybody else want to discuss the things about both trucks with out going on a rampage?

CP you are usually pretty good about this, but have been getting aggresive with spoog lately.

Hindsite are you around? You always seem to be fair about things.

Spoog you are a bit too agreesive sometimes, but you almost always back yourself up with facts

Vince if you want to maintain a regular position i would love to talk.

Anybody want to talk?

-wsn
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    Vinny is notorious about dodging FACTS (unless they benefit Ford). He does it all the time and is apparently not interested in debating based on ALL the facts, just the pro-Ford ones.

CP will make concessions for facts both ways. I like to think I will as well.

Vinny and Spoog are a different matter, however.
  • hindsitehindsite Member Posts: 590
    Interesting assessment Wsnoble and I would agree with you on most of the points. There has been a lot of hostility, but realistically what can you expect when Edmunds pits one against the other.
    Both the Ranger and Tacoma does offer some better features not found in the other and then for the most part they are equal in funtionality. Perception of what is perceived is not always reality. Just the facts.

About sticker price I think it is all relative to how much you can afford. If I paid more then I can afford it. Actually I would like to see the marketing demographics for the Ranger and Tacoma.

Realistically regarding the side impacts the percentage of rear impacts(frontal/rear)is more prevalent then side impacts. In the past when I have done a few local & state bridge replacements as a traffic engineer side impacts were rare. One of my task was to review police reports of accidents in the proximaty of the bridge.
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    to the limited slip find. As unixgomer and Vince have been proven wrong about the "automatically" disengaging locker and won't admit it. Spoog has countless times said Toy won't put in LSD because they know it won't last over a 100,000 miles. This should be interesting.
  • scomoscomo Member Posts: 39
    I'm having a vibration problem with my 2000 Ranger XLT SC 4X4. It happens between 40-70 MPH. he dealer balanced the wheels and that's it so far. They are trying to tell me "It's 'cause it's a truck!". Well, my CJ-7 doesn't shake this bad! I heard there was a recall or something for the 4.0L with the 5spd having vibration probs in the '99s. Turned out to be a sleeve on the driveshaft. Anyone have similar problems with their 99 or 00 Rangers? I love the truck but the sHaKeS have to go!

Scott
    scomo@email.com
    On other sites I have heard that some Rangers with 2 piece driveshafts may vibrate. My 99 supercab with 22K does not. You might check over here:
    Http://www.fordranger.com/offroad.html
    or
    Http://www.fordranger.com/ and check the other side boards
    The Consumer Reports article on Tundra was very good.
    They seemed impressed by that rig. Still a bit pricy by a nice rig.
    I had a picture of a Stanley tape measure under a brand new Tacoma TRD differential, it was on my homepage. Ok, I won't be a wise guy and tease everyone.
    It measured about 9 1/2 inches, a simular picture of my a tape under my Ranger differential was 9 1/4 inches.
    I can re-activate it on my homepage if you want. . .
    But an inch of difference on clearance is not much to worry about.
  • wsnoblewsnoble Member Posts: 241
    They may of stopped offering it after 97 because it wasn't going the distance. Who knows?

-wsn
  • daniel40daniel40 Member Posts: 34
    I don't own a Ranger or a Tacoma or even a
    truck. I will be buying one though. I have
    found from researching these trucks that if
    you want to have a nice comfortable ride and
    maybe do a little light offroading and get
    par gas mileage go with the Ranger. If you
    want a truck that is not as civilized as a
    Ranger but definately more refined, not as
    comfortable but better gas mileage and would
    rip a Rangers A-hole in Off-roading go with
    the Tacoma. You see it's all in what you want.
    Oh and by the way Rangers sell more because
    of the American nameplate, I say screw that
    buy quality, don't buy something because you
    think your doing something for the country -
    besides with this flaring economy we are
    going to need something to keep inflation under
    control!
This discussion has been closed.