Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota TACOMA vs Ford RANGER - III

Comments

• Options
    spoogspoog Member Posts: 1,224
    Thompson writes:

"taco is
    a little better off-road, but ranger is better
    on-road, "

No it isnt. The Tacoma beat the Rnager in every single performance category. That INCLUDEs on road handling and braking. The Tacoma is a finely tuned machine. If it has such a fab suspension offroad, what makes you think it cant handle the twist and turns? When it comes to performance, the Tacoma has the Ranger beat in every category. That can be PROVEN, and has been.
    Unlike perceived seat comfort.

"so I'd net them about equal) and better
    axle ratio. What you've pretty much got left is a
    locker and front stabilizer bar."

And the tuned suspension, and the better gearing, and the higher ground clearance, and the better deaprture and appraoch angle due to the better wheel articulation. And the standar fuel tank and diff skid plates and the standard tow hooks ect and the standard clutch start cancel switch.
  • Options
    "for the 4 speed Toyota transmission and you will
    not like its crawl ratio.
    The ratios are as compared to Ranger automatic:
    Toyota
    1st 2.80:1, 2nd 1.53:1, 3rd 1.0:1 xfercase 2.57:1
    Ranger
    1st 2.47:1, 2nd 1.85:1, 3rd 1.47:1 xfercase2.48:1"

Source please.

"Crawl ratio of Tacoma 4sp automatic with 4.1 rear
    end is:
    2.80 X 2.57 X 4.1 = 29.55"

What tires? What package? What engine? ect?

"Not anywhere near the 40:1 ratio of the Tacoma
    manual. To state it further, an auto equipped
    Tacoma 4X4 will have a crawl ratio far worse than
    my Ranger 5 speed manual vehicle. "

Um, not really. YOu have the 3.73 gearing, and the 5speed. I bet your ratio is right aroun 25.

Id like to see what your source is.

"My POINT is that when you compare an automatic vs
    a manual 4 wheel drive, the automatic WILL be at a
    disadvantage. A FAIRER test would have put an aut
    vs an auto or a manual vs a manual."

Not really. Source please? Even IF it was auto vs auto, tha Tacoma still has more max rear wheel torque(4whweeler.com). Although the tacoma was praised for its great gearing, the main problem 4wheeler had with the Ranger was its ENTIRE suspension. They even said it was tuned specifically for the highway, and was poor offroad. The "whoopty-doos" were a big problem.
    Its gonna take ALOT of redesigning to get that Ranger suspension up to the level of a Tacoma. In fact, probably a complete redesign.

Thats just how it is. Ford builds their trucks for people hauling and cushy highway rides. They have never engineered their vehicles with offroad use in mind like TOyota and Jeep do.

"Which is better?

"By the way, I just installed my rear tow hooks on
    my Ranger. "

Why were they not standard? How can you not have tow hooks standard on a "truck"?
  • Options
    mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    I think I started the Ranger better on-road and TRD better off. This is a subjective area, to be sure, but what I meant is that the Ranger has a softer suspension that is smoother on the road and, therefore, not as good offroad. Vice-versa for the TRD. As I said, if the rougher ride doesn't bother you, it is probably a wash on-road. It (harsher ride)may not bother you, but it does bother some people.
  • Options
    Taking some liberties with the Rampart Range(r) name? That was pretty good. I actually would love to get some trails in as long as they are close to Denver (day trips). Give me your email address (If you are comfortable doing this - I am not comfortable posting mine here as it is my work one). I don't have an internet mail shortcut (have Lotus Notes instead). Great link to the trails.
  • Options
    cpousnrcpousnr Member Posts: 1,611
    REAR TWO HOOKS, I have 2 front two hooks
    mmc:
    Called the forest service and they did close Rampart Road Dec1 but Indian Peaks just west is still open at your own risk Cpousnr@aol.com (I can alway filter out spam/disgurntaled Tacoma owners(just kidding!) Lets try it sometime or even next spring in so Colo or 4 corners. Wasn't that link nice? I thought you said you were there once.
    http://www.truckworld.com/Truck-Tests/98-prerunner/prerunner.html

Toyota, like Ford only makes one auto and one manual for its vehicles, 4X2 or 4X4. The engine was the 3.4 but is irrelevent for what I am trying to say, other than it shows the gears in the auto tranny that is hooked up to the 3.4.

You said:
    "You have the 3.73 gearing, and the 5speed. I bet your ratio is right aroun 25."
    Yes I have the 3.73, transfer case of 2.48:1 and a manual 1st gear of 3.72:1, source for that is the manual tranny ratios in the spec section of your favorate Four Wheeler article. So you take 3.72X2.48X3.73 and you get a crawl ratio of
    34.411, worse than the Tacoma manual at 40.0 but better than 29.55.

Now listen real closely spoog. ALL I was doing was taking the statistics from the Four Wheeler mag where they list the tranny gear ratios(MAzda and Ranger manual trannys are the SAME), xfer case ratios and rear end ratios EXCEPT I went to the above referenced site for the tranny gear ratios of the Toyota 4 speed automatic. I plugged them in to the equation TRANS RATIO * XFER CASE RATIO * REAR END RATIO = CRAWL RATIO. I considered the best case for both in rear end ratio, a 4.10:1 and ALL IT SHOWED iin that case was that a Toyota automatic 4X4 with 4.10 rear end would have a worse crawl ratio than a Ranger manual with a 4.10 rear end.

If you remember the Four Wheeler article pitted a Ranger Automatic against a Tacoma manual. I amd SUGGESTING, based on the calculations, that on paper an automatic equipped Tacoma would be no match for a manual equipped Ranger, GIVEN the SAME rearend ratio.

I did not consider tire size, just calculated crawl ratio in those two situations.

I did see that the ratio on the Toyota automatic DID have a better 1st gear ratio than the Ranger automatic 1st gear, but again, like the manual, the Ranger has better gear ratios in 2nd and 3rd gear.

I am not ATTACKING the Tacoma spoog, just trying to provide some info for people to make a good decision.
  • Options
    Do you even know what approach/departure angles are? They have nothing to do with wheel articulation. To measure departure angles, get a piece of plywood. Stick it under your front (rear - it's the same for both) tire towards the front/back of the truck. Lift up the plywood until it hits the front/rear of your truck. Measure the angle. That's the approach/departure angle of your truck. A ramp will help you test your articulation. Go to your favorite 4wheeler site and they give a good discussion of how to do this as well. The two are completely unrelated.
  • Options
    Yes, I was in the 4 corners area this summer. It is beautiful and they have more great trails there than you can shake a stick at. Don't know if I would want to attempt in the spring, however. Many aren't clear of snow until June/July.
  • Options
    "Now listen real closely spoog. ALL I was doing
    was taking the statistics from the Four Wheeler mag
    where they list the tranny gear ratios(MAzda and
    Ranger manual trannys are the SAME), xfer case
    ratios and rear end ratios EXCEPT I went to the
    above referenced site for the tranny gear ratios of
    the Toyota 4 speed automatic. "

Werent the tires of different size on those two vehicles?

I would still like to see a site that actually gives you these figures with all the auto trans without playing "swap the truck".

"I plugged them in
    to the equation TRANS RATIO * XFER CASE RATIO *
    REAR END RATIO = CRAWL RATIO. I considered the
    best case for both in rear end ratio, a 4.10:1 and
    ALL IT SHOWED iin that case was that a Toyota
    automatic 4X4 with 4.10 rear end would have a
    worse crawl ratio than a Ranger manual with a 4.10rear end. "

Pure speculation. I d like to see some performance tests data. Link please?

"If you remember the Four Wheeler article pitted a
    Ranger Automatic against a Tacoma manual. I amd
    SUGGESTING, based on the calculations, that on
    paper an automatic equipped Tacoma would be no
    match for a manual equipped Ranger, GIVEN the SAMErearend ratio."

Whoa! Wait a second here. EVEN IF the Ranger managed to have a better crawl ratio , it STILL would not have beaten the Tacoma. Remember, the Taco won every single performance category.

The Rangers suspension is just NOT designed for offroad use(4 wheeler technical data).

Adding better gearing really wouldnt help it out that much. It would be like trying to feed a dead horse. The tacomas shocks, stabilizer bar, trd tuned suspension, and everything else is just an entire phase above and beyond the suspension and design of the Ranger.

Like I said, in order for the Ranger to compete, Ford needs to ditch the highway suspension. Until they do, the ranger will always be crippled off road.
  • Options
    cthompson21cthompson21 Member Posts: 1,102
    You obviously have no grasp on the art of sarcasm, my little friend. It just completely and absolutely kills me that you take everything at face value and cannot ,in the utter least, see the causing factors.

Example: You decide to compare the rear wheel torque of the ranger and tacoma. You take in no account of the axle ratios, transmissions, and tire sizes (of which the ranger is biasedly equipped in the negative on each of these). This only demonstrates to me and all those who read this board your absolute ignorance. I feel that me explaining this to you is a complete waste of my time, as you will no doubt understand any of it. I am positive that all others reading this post do understand, so I'll press on...

For performance, I am referring to 0-60 times, 1/4 mile times, skid-pad G's, slalom times, stopping distances, ect... of which you hastily refer to as a means of declaring the "better" truck. The only figure that a "truck" purchaser would care about is stopping power (of which the taco is better, point to toyota).

For comfort, I would prefer something that did not ride as stiff as an old grain wagon. I do spend about 95% of my time on paved roads, and you probably spend more than that on paved roads too. Out of curiousity, I examined the TRD off-road pkg a little closer. Its suspension bits consist of stiffer shocks, stiffer springs, and a stabilizer bar. So, this question comes to mind: Do you define an off-road suspension as having stiffer shocks/springs and a stabilizer bar? You often say that the taco has an off-road suspension while the ranger has an on-road suspension. Would adding a stabilizer bar make my suspension into an off-road suspension (it's already got stiff shocks and springs)?

Oh, if you're wondering I also do own a car. It's a '99 SVT Contour. Since you crave performance so badly, why not get something similar in liu of your truck (you obviously bought it for image and not purpose). The new Toyota Celica GTS looks pretty tempting. It will roast your truck in every performance category for thousands less.

Your tales of street-light drag racing (endangering everyone else on the road) and your postings show me of your immaturity and ignorance in everything automotive. Please educate yourself and grow up a little before you hurt someone.

Please feel free to quote me and pick apart my post. Your ignorant ramblings are quite amusing (probably to the other readers too).
  • Options
    I did check out that pic of the F150 and taco. It was kinda funny. However, I'm sure that you don't know that driver skill and experience is the biggest factor in off-roading.

I just spent a couple of weeks in Costa Rica (mountainous country in Central America). The guides driving the little 2wd 4cylinder tour buses were able to maneuver through obstacles that would have left you and your TRD stuck. Experience and knowledge, of which you are lacking, is the key.
  • Options
    daniel40daniel40 Member Posts: 34
    Comfort. I have been in a Taco and there not
    that bad. I would rather sacrifice a little
    stiffer ride for the great off-road performance,
    especially in a truck! You want Comfort go buy
    a 1979 Cadillac. I'm sure you'll find comfort
    and enough room in the trunk to replace the
    Rangers bed. What is it with compact truck
    owners today? I mean admit it when your wrong,
    everybody knows the Tacoma is a better off-road
    vehicle then the Ranger. I want to buy an American built truck (only considering a Ford)
    but I won't do it until it gets a considerably
    more powerful engine and a stiffer off-road
    chassis. If I wanted comfort I would get the
    Caddy. And also what is up with these people
    lowering their trucks, I thought that fad has
    ending but I guess Vanilla Ice did come out with
    a new alblum. Oh and about the Taco vs. Jeep.
    Had two friends recently purchase both of these
    used this summer. Jeep had bigger aftermarket
    tires both of them had 4cyl. engines. We were
    offroading in Deep sand on a beach. Taco took
    the cake. ....Also reason for so many Ford sales,
    simply it's an American truck. Most americans
    only buy american, but not for long "gen-x's"
    like myself I am 20yrs. old, don't care!
    !Warning! for Ford
  • Options
    sredman1sredman1 Member Posts: 66
    my bad on the california comment... Im orrignally from Cali and when i go back it make me sick how Many image concious ppl live there. every truck is pimped out ... and I know Non of them have even seen a dirt road.

MY bad i was a lil rude and im sorry..

Sppog bring out the worst in me LOL JKJK
  • Options
    No sweat. Notice how Spoog did not try to analyze/pick apart my post on approach/departure angles and wheel articulation. I wonder why?
  • Options
    mattymatty Member Posts: 12
    You have mentioned several times bilstens are too stiff for the ranger and therefore too stiff for the taco, you are correct. However, the bilstens on the TRD taco are made special for the tacoma and it's progressive rate springs and are not as stiff as the aftermarket kind. Do rangers have these type of springs, I am not sure? They are a great idea because the deliver a responsive ride at normal speeds with the more open upper coils and when you beat on them the tighter packed lower coils really make a big performance diffence, on road or off. Yes Rancho 9000's are cool with the adjustabiltiy and all and are lightyear's better then your stock shocks. The progessive rate spings gives a sort of full time adjustable suspension, as the ride chages dramatically depending on how hard you work the vehicle.
    On a different not, you mentioned NOS in a ranger on the Taco engine board, cool idea, but outside of mudbog racing or dragstrips, it would not be functional, you normally don't hit the luaghing gas until under full throttle, and you can only use it in shorts spurts, and it is very hard on motors, especially ones that are not professionally balanced and blueprinted, plus i saw a picture of a guys tank blow up in his garage. The car was demolished, it looked like a serious car bomb, and with the nitrous in a truck, where do you put it, not in the sun because heat is bad, and not in the cab beacuse that is suicide. Turbo's also are not great for off-roading because the don't spool up very well at low speeds/low rpms (turbo lag). A super charger is the only induction modification of this nature I would put into a 4X4, I think Paxton makes one for the 4.0, i don't think they do for the 3.0 though.
  • Options
    smcpherrsmcpherr Member Posts: 114
    Question for you compact truck drivers... A friend of mine is looking for a new or not-too-used compact truck. Nothing fancy, probably ext cab, 4x4, manual. Very rarely going to do any towing or carrying heavy loads, nor is she going to be offroading. Just needs a "grocery getter" that can get her around through winter. Looking at Ford Ranger, Toyota Tacoma, Jeep Wrangler (I know, no ext cab in a Wrangler) and perhaps a few others, and wanted to know your thoughts on how your trucks behave on snow/ice covered CITY streets. Most of the posts I have read so far deal with pavement or mud, no snow comments. This isn't going to be an immediate purchase, but with winter coming up, I thought I'd ask early. Thanks in advance for your help.
  • Options
    mviglianco1mviglianco1 Member Posts: 283
    If snow is the number one consideration I suggest the wrangler. Its weight distribution makes it go just about anywhere in 2wd. Have ridden in several jeep cj's wranglers in the smow fairly often and the traction that the real wheels get is much better then in a pickup. It is very easy to spin rear wheels in pickup especially if you have no load in bed.
  • Options
    I am not necesarilly suggesting a Wrangler for overall convenience and functionality though.
  • Options
    matty: The best option for forced induction on a 4.0L Ranger would be BBK's Instacharger. It's an eaton roots style charger producing immediate and constant boost at all engine rpm's. Ford originally developed the supercharger to use on the 4.0L OHV in the Explorer (same as Ranger OHV), but they decided to go with the SOCH 4.0 and sold the supercharger to BBK. I agree w/you on nitrous. Anybody who puts their vehicle on the bottle will have serious engine longevity problems. A turbo in a truck is also rather stupid. It's developing no boost at low rpm's for hauling, towing, and such.

schmpherr:
    A 4x4 truck of any make will handle better in the snow and ice than any 2wd vehicle, such as a car. Also, a properly equipped 2wd truck (your uses show little need for a 4x4) will also handle well in the snow and ice. I would suggest getting a truck with a limited slip differential, snow tires (cost you $400 from tire rack including rims), and 200-300lbs over the rear axle. Any of these would also help a 4wd truck traverse the white stuff. I got rid of my 2wd truck (no LSD, no snow tires) because I was having trouble getting stuck while towing snowmobiles. But, beyond this it wasn't too bad.
  • Options
    matty: The best option for forced induction on a 4.0L Ranger would be BBK's Instacharger. It's an eaton roots style charger producing immediate and constant boost at all engine rpm's. Ford originally developed the supercharger to use on the 4.0L OHV in the Explorer (same as Ranger OHV), but they decided to go with the SOCH 4.0 and sold the supercharger to BBK. I agree w/you on nitrous. Anybody who puts their vehicle on the bottle will have serious engine longevity problems. A turbo in a truck is also rather stupid. It's developing no boost at low rpm's for hauling, towing, and such.

schmpherr:
    A 4x4 truck of any make will handle better in the snow and ice than any 2wd vehicle, such as a car. Also, a properly equipped 2wd truck (your uses show little need for a 4x4) will also handle well in the snow and ice. I would suggest getting a truck with a limited slip differential, snow tires (cost you $400 from tire rack including rims), and 200-300lbs over the rear axle. Any of these would also help a 4wd truck traverse the white stuff. I got rid of my 2wd truck (no LSD, no snow tires) because I was having trouble getting stuck while towing snowmobiles. But, beyond this it wasn't too bad.
  • Options
    I had an '84 CJ7 for five years (live in Denver). While it was fine in snow in 4WD, was TERRIBLE in 2WD. I even had all-terrain tires (Yokohama Super Diggers) on it. It is fine in 4WD, but watch out in snow in 2WD in a Jeep! (Good thing they don't make a 2WD Wrangler)
  • Options
    I guess you know first hand. My experience was that when in 2wd it seemed to get much more traction than my pickup in 2wd. My friend really never had to put his cj7 in 4wd for snow unless it was more then 6 or 7 inches. Would you agree that your cj7 was better in 2wd then your (Tacoma??) in 2wd?
  • Options
    I don't have a Tacoma, however (have a 98 4Runner). I would guess, however, that the Jeep is probably a little better in 2WD than a compact pickup, although not by much.
  • Options
    smcpherrsmcpherr Member Posts: 114
    mvigilianco/mmcbride - I agree about the Wrangler, on both points. In 4wd I think it is better than a truck, shorter wheelbase, better weight distribution. I also agree that it is less practical, which is why she is also looking at a truck.

cthompson - I don't think that there is much doubt she is getting a 4wd. She already drives a car, (an 81 Mazda Rx-7, manny trans) and she doesn't like driving it in the snow. It's too low, too light and too powerful. That and its falling apart. So shes looking for a newer vehicle, one that can get her where she has to go. She knows 4wd doesn't make her invincible on snow, but she has had to get her car pulled out of a mound of snow before and doesn't ever want to do it again. (Or is it, I DON'T EVER WANT TO DO IT AGAIN?) Anyway, she's been looking for a while now, and I don't think she's looking to do anything until next summer, but the issue of winter is coming up again so I thought I'd ask. Thanks again.
  • Options
    I havnt had my new Tacoma long enough to find out but with my 88 pick up you could go anywhere in 4wd but in 2wd you could get stuck in your front yard, and yes I have done that. I get the impression that my new truck has more weight above the rear wheels though
  • Options
    briscoe1briscoe1 Member Posts: 7
    I have never been on this board before but I have been off roading w/Jeeps on many occasions. And any Jeeper that has ever been in the dirt w/Tacoma's will confirm my story. I beg to differ w/many of the posts here saying that the Tacoma cannot perform as well as the Jeep. I will bet my pink slip w/any Jeep, that when it comes to climbing hills w/severe inclines I will leave you at the bottom every time. I have fried Jeeps so many times it's not even funny and I'm talking about tricked Jeeps w/front and rear lockers and 35" tires. Any Jeeper that has been around long enough will tell you this is true. I am not saying that a Tacoma can out perform Jeep in rock crawling and some other things. But on severe inclines, a Tacoma will leave a Jeep everytime PERIOD I read a post about some Ranger running w/a Tacoma, NOT! Maybe you were in some sand or something, but you weren't where we go! I live in Texas and any of you Rangers that want to come show me what you got give me an email. Where we go only Tacomas and Jeep dare ride. And if you don't agree with this assesment then you need to find another more extreme place to off road.

Yea Tacoma's are more expensive, you don't have to buy one. Leave them for us seious off roaders that run w/the Jeeps.
  • Options
    Welcome to theforum!!! A welcome addition indeed.

Its nice to seem someone post something that makes sense for a change.

The Jeep and Tacoma are the best stock 4x4's offroaders made, period.

If you want more, you are talking land cruiser range rover money.
  • Options
    matty:
    Thanks for the input on the shocks, did not consider that originally. Just going on what I was told regerding getting some for a Ranger. The RS9000's, while expensive, are attractive because your not stuck with the midrange, such as the RS5000 and I just am not sure about regular shocks as they could be too soft. Bus seriously, thanks for the feedback.
    In regard to NOS, I just saw a system available and is was a lot cheaper than an Turbo or supercharger.
    Thanks for the USEFUL imput.

smcpherr
    Well even the highly regarded spoog, a Tacoma man, calls the Ranger a "Grocery getter" although my grocries seem to be on 9-10,000 ft 4X4 roads. . .
    We are in the process of haveing a bad snow storm right now and I have been running fine with mine in 4Xhigh thru the real slushy areas because I do not have my sandbags in the back. Ranger with the Independent Front Suspension handles very well.
    Test drive them both, then judge.

briscoe1:
    I'm coming to Houston last week of Dec, I'd bet my Ranger will run with your Tacoma. . .
  • Options
    The wheelbase on the Jeep Wrangler is 93.4 inches, the Ranger SuperCab/regular cab it is 126/112 inches and the Tacoma xtra and regular is 122 and 112 inches.
    Now, SERIOUSLY, you think the Tacoma or Ranger can compete with a 93.4 inch wheel base?
    Now I have stated often and it is the truth, I have never seen a Tacoma out where I 4 wheel, not to say they have never been there. But I have been wheeling with Wranglers, CJ's, Cherokees, older F150's, and older International Scout, S-10s(he was having some trouble) and even a Suburban on 10,000 ft 4 wheel passes in the Colorado Rockies not to mention some ATV's on wide ATV trails.

Now if I can keep up with them, and I did, with the exception of passing on a mud pit a Jeep thought I could go thru and that one time of hitting an icy 45degree slope with wet muddy tires, a Tacoma would be no challenge for me. Sorry to be blunt but Tacoma's are great trucks but they are no JEEP.
  • Options
    spoog agrees with you because you support his position that the Tacoma is the greatest thing around.
    Check this story, nothing is invincible:
    http://www.binderbulletin.org/cgi-bin/boneheads.pl?read=5

It does refer to "blowing something in the Tacoma" does it not?
  • Options
    Great story, but any number of things could have happened to the Tacoma including (or should I say most likely) driver stupidity that would have done the same thing to a Ranger (if the Ranger didn't get stuck in the sand on the way there - JK)

; )
  • Options
    Yeah I just thought the story was cute. I restrict my attempts to tow people out to small cars.

BTW you may be interested in this URL:
    http://www.binderbulletin.org/trailreports/
    Colorado Trail Reports.

Looks like a scratch for this weekend,kinda snowy right now as I am sure you know, but DO email me and maybe in the sping we will get together a trail ride of some local Denver 4X4's. I will keep your address in my list.
  • Options
    A Tacoma equipped with TRD is a formidable stock offroader.

Do you know what vehicles are used at the Jeep Jamboress and JEep gatherings for emergency, tow, and follow-up puproses? Thats right, the Tacomas.
  • Options
    "spoog agrees with you because you support his
    position that the Tacoma is the greatest thing
    around."

It is the best stock offroader made excluding the fully stock equipped wrangle for under 40k.

"Check this story, nothing is invincible:
    http://www.binderbulletin.org/cgi-bin/boneheads.pl?read=5"

LOL. This is Cspounser's usual lame tactic of trying to dillute the argument with pointless and silly links.

"It does refer to "blowing something in the Tacoma"
    does it not?"

Something blows around here alright. Maybe its your saggy gearing and 100 horsepower at 9000 feet.
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    I can't stay away!! I am trying too really.
    Texas!!! Ha, Ha, Ha, do they even have hills in Texas?? Do you know what the Cascade Mountains are? Have you ever seen Mountains?? Do you know how tall MT Hoood is? or even MT Rainer??? Offroad in Texas, HA, HA, Ha.
    What is the 100HP thing at 9000ft spoog speaks of?? I have never had any problems in the mountains. Granted I do loose a bit of HP but not enough to make me stall or not able to get where I want to go. I would assume the Toyota would then have 115HP at 9000ft??
    These folks who own these Tacoma's are just way over confident. I have a friend who has a Jeep and is an avid offroader. It is made for offroad, he has been in 4-wheeler mag several time, visited Moab, the whole bit. He would laugh his head off at these guys saying the TAcoma can keep up and do what a jeep can. Next time I see him I am going to let him know about this and see if I can get him on this board somehow.
    A vehicle with a limited slip rearend would do the best on snow. Don't ask Tacoma owners, Toyota doesn't make a limited slip. Ford/Dodge/Chevy all make limited slips. And it can be had on virtually any model at that. I am not going to end this with my quote all of you hate to hear.
    See you in some real hills, not bumps.
  • Options
    Cpousnr:
    I would not have believed it either, but I have done it and seen it on more than one occassion. We had the Jeepers cheering one time. You see, when you have someones respect you can't put them down because their rig was impressive. I'll also admit watching them do some very impressive stuff too.

I consider myself a man of integrity and though my fish stories sometimes may include counting a few that got away, in the total. I am none the less honest. I was there and we were climbing stuff the Jeeps took 5 or 6 tries to do. Some of them could not climb them, gave up. One hill the Jeeps did not even come close, mind you it was an awesome ravine nearly straight up and 22' high. Don't under estimate the Tacoma. And I have the open diffs, still hammered the Jeeps on steep inclines, they would just slide down.
  • Options
    Spoog:
    I was not aware this forum was for bashing Tacoma's. Save yourself the aggravation of wasting your time here. If you enjoy Tacoma's and great information go to
    http://www.forums.delphi.com/tacomaterritory/start

I apologize to all for wasting my time w/those that have so much knowledge. Cheers to the mountain men.
  • Options
  • Options
    hindsitehindsite Member Posts: 590
    Anyway it should be a good game and I wish I could be there, but then that is life. Exactly why was your post hidden? BTW I have seen that site you posted about the Mt. Washington Expedition in a magazine sometime ago.
  • Options
    benz88benz88 Member Posts: 42
    My last vehicle was a YJ Wrangler Sahara. Guess what? I just got a 2000 Tacoma TRD. I didn't even consider a Ranger. IMHO, for a new stock offroader these are only two choices. The Wrangler is more capable, the Tacoma more reliable, comfortable and practical. Both mine are automatics, I don't understand why you guys think manuals are so much better. I have a stick in my sports car but a auto 4x4 gets my vote. Have you ever tried a auto 4x4? The only down side is the cost is about a grand more. As for not taking it out offroading because of the price. Reserve that comment for the range rover group. There is only a couple grand difference between a Taco and any other compact truck. And 7 inches of snow isn't even going to be a problem for a 2wd car. Try hip height, then you will appreciate what a 4x4 could do.
  • Options
    wsnoblewsnoble Member Posts: 241
    Hey look Vince is back and dismissing geography again. CP send him the Mt. Washington link so he can dismiss it again. LOL..!

Toy and LSD's

The latest Landcruiser uses a locking center diff, and an LSD front and rear...

I agree with our Texas friend. All my Jeep friends dismiss most everything. They all like Toyota's though. One of them is a Sales Manager at a local dealership!

-wsn
  • Options
    "The latest Landcruiser uses a locking center diff,and an LSD front and rear..."

I believe its a rear locking diff, not a center.

And this does concern me. Before the 99 model, the landcruiser came with locking diffs in the front, center, AND rear. All but one was yanked from the Cruiser for the new models. The 97 and previous landcruisers were basically tanks with rubber. They had such massive traction and power with all 3 of those locks on.

I hope this is not a continuing trend for Toyota.
    I notice that the Tundra, while offering great ground clearance(usual toyota standard) just doesnt have the usual toyota offroad features, and no available locker. I hope this is not a trend for them. If so, my next vehicle may be a Jeep, even though their reliablity sucks.

I buy the Toyota trucks for their offroad prowess and the reliability. Take away one of those , and Im willing to look to Jeeps corner.
  • Options
    The LC's are still the best full-size 4WD out there. Don't worry.
  • Options
    Well for those that knock the Tacoma here is a site with almost every complaint against Ford products. I was amazed at some of the complaints against Ford vehicles. Unfortunately there is no site for Toyota. Hmmm . . .

http://www.thecomplaintstation.com/f/ford_toc.htm
  • Options
    Hindsite on that same page we find:

www.thecomplaintstation.com/t/toyota_toc.htm

But, upon further examination it seems that the vast majority of complaints are for minor items (search under Ranger, 15 total complaints), are for something breaking on a 10yr old vehicle with 100K+ miles on it, or are for something breaking due to lack of maintenence.

Really people, if you go 150K miles and put nothing but gas and oil in a vehicle, consider yourself lucky and go buy a lotto ticket. I would expect to spend a few hundred dollars on parts that wear out, such as tires, starters, alternators, etc... over the course of a vehicle's lifetime, which I consider to be 10-15yrs & 150-200K miles. If a manufacturer could build some sort of indestructible vehicle, everyone would buy it and only it. I have found that people who have their cars in the shop on a never-ending basis often know nothing about vehicles, and it seems that they are being taken advantage of.
  • Options
    Why make excuses for the Ranger?

I saw many complaints in that site that mentioned problems with Rangers that had low miles, 20k and less.
  • Options
    Okay I goofed on that one. Where are the complaints for the Tacoma? Huh? I wouldn't call a 1995 to 1999 Ranger a ten to fifteen year old car unless that is some new fangle math you are using. Minor? A 1999 Ranger with power steering problems is minor. A 1995 Ranger braking hard with the engine trying to exit the front is minor. Maybe you call those minor problems fix or repair daily.
  • Options
    Well, you would expect much more complaints for the ranger as Ford has sold probably 10x more rangers than Toyota has Tacomas over the last 10 years. I can't explain each problem because I know no specifics. In general, Ford products are not as reliable as Toyota products. But, it is not so all encompassing as you'd like to believe. Somebody complaining that their front end is misaligned at 30K miles is a joke. If you live anywhere near me in Chicago, you'd expect that due to the awful condition of the roads.

My family has purchased many Ford vehicles over the years. In general, a vehicle might have gone to the dealer once for a minor defect. Other than that the only major thing I can think of is a transmission rebuild on a truck with 145K miles. If you call that unreliable, what do you call Chrysler products?
  • Options
    Check out www.deja.com for reviews on the ranger and tacoma. Overall, they're both rated at 3.4/5.0 with the tacoma slightly better on performance & reliability and the ranger a little better with cost/benefit. It's an interesting site with a lot of reviews to look through. What's amazing is that there are about 100 more reviews for the taco even with it having a low sales volume compared to the ranger.
  • Options
    wsnoblewsnoble Member Posts: 241
    I'm not sure where i read the center with 2 LSD's on the LC, but i'll try and fing the quote i read. Toy's website does say it's a Locking Center Diff.

-wsn
  • Options
    Check out www.deja.com for reviews on the ranger and tacoma. Overall, they're both rated at 3.4/5.0 with the tacoma slightly better on performance & reliability and the ranger a little better with cost/benefit. It's an interesting site with a lot of reviews to look through. What's amazing is that there are about 100 more reviews for the taco even with it having a low sales volume compared to the ranger.
This discussion has been closed.