Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota TACOMA vs Ford RANGER - III

Comments

• cpousnrcpousnr Member Posts: 1,611
    http://member.aol.com/Cpousnr/vince8.jpg

Nice truck. Nextime put Mt Hood in the background ok?

Hindsite:
    One of your posts, if you go up one level, has a review on Ranger. I guess to sum up on the two the nod to Tacoma for a sportier truck, and Ranger to more of a truck/truck, a fair essesment.

I thought too of what you said regarding a crash test on a 4X vs a regular 2X. Fair question but, according to the report the following was identifed, the forces applied to each vehicle for an equal crash:

Thoracic Trauma Pelvic Deceleration
    Ranger 50 81
    Tacoma 106 145 (you died)
    4-Runner 25 50

Would love to know why 4 Runner is so different.
    I ment to say assessment
  • mviglianco1mviglianco1 Member Posts: 283
    I just got a quote on a 2000 Tacoma v6, x-cab, 4x4, sr5,cd, for 19,000. TRD for less then 2k over that. I find that comparable to the Ranger where I live. Went to a small town in the Blue Ridge mountains to get better treatment from salesman and got a price 3k better also and I know it wont die at 60K like mothers 93 Taurus stranding here with a worthless vehicle.

Does anyone actually answer questions in this group other then cpousnr (thanks for link on gear ratios) answer questions. The only way to get a response here is to insult someone.

I think it fair to say that the Tacoma does have some serious safety issues and is pricier but how can anyone say that a truck that has more ground clearance, more HP(I concede it has less torque), can haul and tow just as much as the most equiped Ranger and definately more then the S-10, and has never recieved a bad grade by anyone regarding its off road capabillities with any trim level not be considered a truck? There is also no question about its reliabillity. If these factors dont constitute a "truck/truck" then what exactly does?
  • spoogspoog Member Posts: 1,224
    YOu guys are making a big mistake regarding "truck engines".

YOu see, the trend now is to go for higher valves, and lower liters, with more reviing. Take a look at the new 2Ford f150's. That engine is state of the art. You guys need to remember that the Ranger 4.0 is a very, very antiquated engine. In terms of cooling and engine life, it is pretty week.

"Get a truck engine, lower compression and
    a shorter piston stroke. Will not wind up as fast
    or as high. Longer stroke = higher hp as I recallthe equation."

The Tacomas 6 is an absolute GEM. Every review has RAVEd about the Tacoms v6, and most reviewers are very lukewarm about the Rangers antiquated 4.0.

ANd please dont forget that better gearing and better crawl ratios are instrumental in towing and climbing. Especially on boat ramps.

I suggest you all take a look at those great pics of the Tacoma pulling a giant modified f150 out of the mud. Now THATS one tough truck.

OH, and does the Ranger come standard with tow hooks?
    Face it guys, the Rangers 4.0 is a pretty outdated engine. Its not very good in performance stats either. It also tends to overheat alot in high temps.

The Tacoma beat it in every single performance category.

And CSpounser and all you other high country loving truckers....you NEED to remember that the higher you go up in elevation, the lower your HP and torqu goes.

I would say Cspounser is running at 130 HP at 9000 feet. Go even higher, and his HP diminshes even more, right along with his torque.
    Thats too bad.

Now if I took my TRD up there..... lets see....260 HP, 280 Torque.....ahhhhhhhh its so nice!

YOu need HP at higher elevations. I bet those 4.0 Rangers have to be mashed to the floor in some of those colorado passes. That low HP will do that to you. When it falls off high up, so does your torque. OUCH.
  • tuzinatortuzinator Member Posts: 2
    I can preface this by saying I personally perfer Ford to everything, but the truth has recently befallen me....

In the next few years, the Japanese makes WILL surpass American cars in sales. They are high in quality and technology ON A WHOLE. We can say this American car has this and that car has that, but if anyone looks around, it's plainly obviously that Honda and especially Toyota can't make a mistake and continue to make the best cars on the road. Each new Toyota model (Tundra, new Camry, Celica) has broken new ground in technology and reliability in each market segment. The only reason Toyota doesn't outsell everyone is a lack of production capacity. They simply don't have the infastructure to make 2 million cars in the US, YET. When they do, there will only be one reason to buy American cars, and that is price. And, that may not be a problem when domestic production of Japanese makes is up to snuff.

In short, there is no answer to my argument. American carmakes continue to fall short of standard with each new car. They either have too little horsepower or the proverbial "American Quality and fit and finish". So, in short, we are relishing the last golden years of American car manufacturing. In the Future, the car industry will be controlled by Japanese companies just like the TV industry. A very similar event, actually, was the story of RCA. It had similar market share and technological clout, but lost it when the quality and technology of Japnese brangs out did them. Oh well.

If only AMerican car makers would take the same time PERFECTING quality and fit and finish just as the Japanese have, they wouldn't have to rely on "ground-breaking" designs and low cost to sell cars. It shalln't happen in my lifetime, and as far as I can see, will never happen.

Thanks for reading
  • hindsitehindsite Member Posts: 590
    Well forgot to say the class you were in the previous post . . . freak. Scream your friggin head off . . . now. I am not going to placate you with kind words. You have denegrated me in the past so the same measure is served to you in kind.
    Well regarding those sites I may or may not be in agreement with them. Anyway fact is we all have are trucks and content with them and that is what counts. Actually agreed with the one that said the Tacoma was middle of the pact and expensive.

Btw I have some great sites for the Ranger and nothing bad.

I don't know if height counts, but I still would like to see some crash test done.

Yep I did send that E-mail to you.
    The music was kind of nice. If you listen to it you would hear a rendition of Eric Clapton's song
    "Wonderful Tonight."
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    My truck has one. I have never had any problems getting where I need to go, on-road or off. I have never experienced one wheel spinning out of control while the other does nothing (this may be due to the increased weight of the 4Runner over the Tacoma, but I doubt it). It just IS NOT AN ISSUE.

Vince, I know you like to make it an issue, probably just because Ford offers one and Toyota doesn't. Toyotas have long been known for their off-road prowress, all the way back to the Land Cruisers of the early 70's. Some have been offered with true locking diffs (some LC's, TRD Tacomas, some 4Runners, I'm not sure how many/few have actually offered them), but I'm guessing that Toyota has never offered a limited-slip if they don't offer one now. From all of the rave off-road reviews of Toyotas for which Spoog is so fond, it is obvoiusly still not an issue that Toyotas don't offer a limited slip.

I have personally been in blizzards in my 4Runner (drove from Gunnison to Denver in near-white-out conditions with about a foot of snow/ice on Hwy. 285), gone over moderate to difficult mountain passes that require a lot of 4-low creeping over rocks and never had a problem. Drop the limited-slip vs. open debate. IT IS NOT AN ISSUE. I dare you to PROVE to me that it is. I know I don't have a Tacoma, but I'll bet you that the 4WD hardware with Tacomas and 4Runners are identical.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    MMC, I find it hard to believe you have never been in a spot that one of your rear wheels are turning and the other is not??? And yet you claim to have gone to all of these offroad trails?
    Limited slip is better than an open axle, any offroad person will tell you this. Just as the locker is better than a limited slip in rock climbing or extreme offroad conditions. I have already conceded many many posts back that a locker is better than limited slip, if I claimed otherwise I would have been laughed off this site!
    My point is the locker is only good when the button is pushed and at 5mph and in certain situations. We all know just how much our trucks see offroad, maybe every weekend or so?? Most 4x4 don't even see gravel. The limited slip is ready all the time.
    I also will continue to post pictures of my "Grocery getter" doing its duty here in the Northwest. My point is the Ranger CAN go anywhere a Tacoma can, haul, tow, whatever and for less $$$$.
    Hind, don't understand what angle you are coming from. You switch from day to day.
  • cthompson21cthompson21 Member Posts: 1,102
    Spoog:
    If you're considering a 7 year old engine to be antiquated, then well... If you know anything about engines, you'll know that horsepower is derived from torque. I think the formula is something like HP = Torque/(5260 X RPM). And, peak horsepower is usually obtained at higher rpm's on overhead cam motors. This is the reason that manufacturers put high displacement OHV engines into trucks. They produce more torque at lower revs. This is simply to accomodate the truck buyer. Like I said earlier, if you want to put up great performance numbers, buy a car. The reason that your taco has such a wonderful "crawl ratio" is that the engine has to wind up to produce its power. This is toyota's way of compensating for the engine's lack of torque (especially in the lower revs). Take a look at a torque curve. Then, you'll see the difference between a 'truck' and a 'car' engine.

Where in the world do you get your data on "cooling and engine life" on the 4.0? Is this some of your anecdotes and here-say, or just something you pulled out of your a@@? LOL
    CP, thanks for posting the picture of my Ranger.

tuzinator, you are greatly misinformed. By your post it seems like in the next 5 years Ford and GM are going bellie up are are going to be bought by Toyota/Honda?? or an already bankrupt Nissan who was already bailed out by Renault?
    As far as market share GM now has about 30% of the U.S. market. This is more than all Japanese models combined. Ford is also on a huge roll. I believe Fords market share is about 23%. Don't forget they have Volvo, Jaguar, Mazda. GM ownes multiple companies also.
    Honda is not that large of a company either. Their sales are not that great in Japan. The only place they really have a demanding market share is here in the U.S. I believe Honda is 12th worldwide when it comes to sales.
    The market share the Japanese are grabbing has leveled off. This is even true in California which is where the Japanese have about a 55% market penetration. In fact I read an article about 6 months ago that Honda is ripe for buyout by either Toyota, Ford VW or GM. Honda is small my friend, they don't have the deep pockets that Ford/GM/Toyota/VW/Diamlerchry have.
    As far as engines. Please visit the Ford/GM/Dodge research sites and then tell me they are behind in engine technology. GM is coming out with a whole new line of engines in their 2000/2001 models. Ford has multiple High tech V8's and a Duratec V6 along with its Zetec 4's form Europe. Sorry for the long post.
    See you in the hills!
    hindsite,
    i too have a truck with an open diff. For my personal uses, the 4wd fulfills my needs. If I had a choice between the locker and a lsd, I'd go with the lsd because its use is not limited. A lsd would probably be a better choice for most people. The people who would benefit from a locker and know how to use them probably own an old CJ or something already...
    I just said I have never had a problem getting where I need to go, and I have gone to some pretty tough spots. Especially considering all of your posts indicating you CAN go anywhere a Tacoma can, you argument doesn't hold water. My truck CAN go anywhere yours can as well, with an open diff. As I said before, it is not an issue. As far as day-to-day driving, it is definitely not an issue unless you are driving on ice/snow in 2WD (which would not make sense in a 4WD truck). The only time I could see it mattering is in deep mud, which I won't be going through any time soon.
    It does not exist anymore! Sorry to tell this to all of you conspiracy theorists or die-hard 'buy american' guys. Auto companies are all intermingled. Many american makes are built in mexico. Many japanese makes are built in the u.s. No auto exists that is entirely domestic or foreign. The companies that exist in the future are the ones that provide the consumer with the best value.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    I'm back and I see we haven't progressed any in the past week. mmcbride, you are correct about open differentials. I have been driving them hard for years and never had a problem. People get far too worked up over that one. I've even managerd to go through life without a locker if you can imagine that. I actually use a truck off road and for towing.
    Limited slips are for two wheel drive trucks and CARS. They have not proved to be a very durable option in 4 wheel drives. That is WHy toyota does not use them. They have strict quality control.

Cthompson: I agree with you on the American vs Japanese thing. Its a global economy now, and anyone who doesnt realize that is a complete fool.

AS for your claim about the Tacoma, its torque is excellent. In fact, 4wheeler gushes over how it "pulls throught the entire power band like a small block v8"

http://www.fourwheeler.com/newtrucks/ptoty/98/tech.html

Its a refined, modern truck engine. It's the future of engines. This v6 design with the high valves and long powerband was first introduced by Toyota back in 95. Soon enough, ford started following suit with multi valve truck engine technology. The principple behind these new engines is that trucks work hard, and allowing them to "breathe" with higher revs and mutli-vlave technology will not only lengthen the life of the engine, but allow it to maintain its mechanical edge.

Its basically a matter of moving forward. If your used to the ole' pushrod engines, more power to you. But Toyota has, and is paving the way ahead. Take a look at its new v8 for the Tundra. Considered by every truck mag known to mankind to offer " the smoothest, fastest, most powerful standard v8 engine ever DESIGNED for a full size pickup". It OUtows, out accelerates, and outruns
    all the big three V8's except the Ford 5.9(optional). NOt to mention the Tundra outbrakes and outhandles the big three....and as usual offers the highest ground clearance.
    Anyway, the new v8 has been unanimoulsy chosen as the best standard v8 for full size pickups bar none. IT is another multivalve engine by toyota.

I find it funny actually that many truck mags are picking the Tundra over the others ALREADY in its first year!
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    The placement of the camshaft HAS NOTHING TO DO with an engines ability to produce torque. Bore and stroke , cam profile, intake runner length, rod ratio etc. yes. Placement of the cam, no.
  • artpartp Member Posts: 156
    Placement of the cam, overhead, without pushrods will allow the engine to rev faster with less moving parts.

Comments on the Tundra:

I own a 4x4 V8 Tundra. It is a great truck but I think the claims above are a stretch. The comparisons were done using the big 3's smallest V8's. Most of the big 3 trucks are sold with engines one size up from the base engine. Example: Chevy comes standard with a 4.8 but most purchase the optional 5.3 which puts out 270hp vs. the Tundra's 245. Ditto with Ford, 4.6 standard, 5.4 most popular. I think the truck is faster because it comes standard with a 3.9 rear vs 3.7 rear (or less) for the domestics, also the Tundra is lighter. One comparison not mentioned is low end torque, the Tundra is a little weak in this departent (I believe "no substitute for CI"), as it's multi valve engine likes to rev., once the RPM's hit 3k it's alomost like a turbo kicking in, fine for a car.

I'm very happy with my Tundra and think my standards are higher than most, which is why I can critique it. I bought the Tundra because of perceived Toyota quality, longevity and it's uniquness (I believe Chevy is junk and Ford is marginal). It does everything I want it to do, well. If I needed a serious work truck to haul or tow tractors and bricks, I would have bought the Ford.
    YOu missed my whole point. The V8 on the Tundra is rated for a entry level full size 4wd. For that, is an an EXCELLENT v8. Its a good enough v8 to beat ALL of the competitors entry level v8's and MOST of their optional v8's!

As for towing and payload, the Tundra is superior verse the f150 and Chevy and Dodge 1500's.
    The Tundra also out accelrates those trucks while towing 4000 pounds up steep passes.

Im not a huge Tundra fan, Im just stating the performance specs. I think it stinks they don't offer a manual trans, and Im not too big on the interior(although its light years ahead if CHevies fisher-price looking interior).
    Im also curious as to why they dont offer a TRD package with a locker.
  • bconreybconrey Member Posts: 1
    But do they still have the pushbutton 4wd? And if so, do they still have the problem of the Xfer case disengaging if you shut the ignition off?
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    check out the Tundra group for an answer to your manual transmission question. See post #118
    With all the hoopla about the TRD locker it sure is funny how you Toyota fans blow off an open axle and in the same breath call a limited slip not reliable?? I have never had any problems with mine or the one in my previous Ranger. Nor have the other 4 Ranger owners I know with various miles/models/years. You who want the open axle/locker/limited slip issue to die are you admitting the locker is a sales gimmick by Toyota?
    Please, don't get me started on the "I wanna play with the big boys truck" Tundra. Two engines is what the Tundra offers, how many cab configs? how many suspensions? The Tundra doesn't even offer a limited slip or locker. The Tundra interior room is about the size of a Dakota. I don't understand how Toyota can get away with calling this a "full size" when its dimensions are not up to the already set standard of GM/Ford/Dodge. Pricing once again is a joke when comparing like options.
    Now lets get back to Ranger VS Tacoma.
    I'm not arguing that an OHV engine is superior to an OHC engine. In fact, it's just the opposite. I'm just saying that the taco's 3.4 is tuned more to the likes of a 'car' engine. I'm not saying it isn't reliable, powerful, etc... For someone who is buying a truck for the purposes of towing, hauling, and other duties, you want an engine with torque and lots of it in the lowest possible rpm's. If you're after 0-60 performance, get a high-revving, low torque at low rpm's, high hp at high rpm's, engine. I just prefer to split up the duties, hauling stuff for the ranger and hauling [non-permissible content removed] for the svt contour.

About the Tundra, it's a downsized full-size truck that falls in a class with one other entrant, the Dodge Dakota. I sure hope that its best engine offering can beat the likes of the base offerings found in the Big 3's full-sized trucks. They're all pretty weak in a vehicle of that size. If the Tundra couldn't, they'd sell all of a few dozen per year, like the T100. I'd love to see a shootout between the Dakota and Tundra. They seem like two evenly matched trucks.

As for 0-60 times in a truck whether full-sized, compact, or V6/V8, I don't even care. It's a truck, not a sports car. Don't kid yourself into thinking that it's fast.

For Ford's 4wd, I have the pushbutton 4wd in my '98 Ranger. It works flawlessly. You can engage it up to 75mph (who in the hell would do that anyways?) and disengage just the same. It works like an on/off switch. It has always stayed in 2wd/4hi/4lo as selected regardless of what I have done, such as turning off the truck. It sure beats the hell out of my old Blazer's x-fer case, which was a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] to get into what you wanted.

Oh, and when I'm towing a few thousand pounds, I'm really concerned about my 0-60 time. LOL
    Yes, I do know that the placement of the cam has nothing to do with an engine's ability to produce torque at whatever rpm. Typically, ohc engines are used in cars because of their ability to produce more hp at higher rpm due to their higher intake/exhaust flow. Then, the manufacturers will dump the same engine in a truck (which is a vehicle that needs torque for 'truck' duties) without tuning it. Then, they'll attempt to compensate by throwing in some outrageous stock gearing like 4.10's or even 4.56's. Then, the truck will have such a great crawl ratio...
    I just used your favorite argument against it. If I can go anywhere in my open diffs that you can go with your lsd, then what is so special about a lsd? Talk about changing your story all the time! You admitted in your previous post that a locker was better than limited slip, and now you are saying the TRD locker is a gimmick. Also, ALL true lockers (not hybrids) should only be used at very low speeds as you can damage the drivetrain by turning sharply with it engaged. This is true not only for the TRD locker, but for aftermarket lockers as well.

The so-called "lockers" offered on many of the full-size trucks that people are discussing in other topics are really lsd's, NOT lockers. True lockers (like TRD & aftermarket) are for use in stuck/serious situations only.
    In all honesty, even though no one totally agreed, posts 112-124 were really informative. Let me add my 2 cents.
    First, spoog, I never said that Toyota makes bad engines. I have owned vehicles with the J45, the 2T-C, the 18-R, the 20R and two with the 3S-FE engine. Miles were 101K, 136K, 134K, 128K, and 177 & 180K on the 2 3S-FE's that are my kids cars. The 18R developed a ticking cause the cam was soft and I wore down a lobe. But the 3S-FE is definitely a high rev engine like the Tacoma's 3.4. It is just the classic truck engine IS a high torque, lower hp and GENERALLY has a bigger bore and shorter stroke than the higher hp/rpm engines to work with the required torque. this is not to say you can' put a high hp engine in a truck but I tend to agree with the comments regarding the gearing to compensate for the lower torque, IN GENERAL. I AGREE with you regarding the 3.4 and support the reviews feelings and the 220 torque is good for that engine.
    The Ranger XLT 4X4 has 2 front tow hooks and mine will have 2 rear ones when I get some time to put them on the frame. Back to engines, the 4.0 is not that old, introduced 92 along with a 2.9LV6. I would doubt the 4.0 has that much hp at 9K but it works OK but the 3.4 would have lots of guts at that altitude.
    Spoog, people are getting in excess of 150-180K on the Ford 4.0 between rebuilds.
    tuzinator:
    I would agree with you to a point. Edward Deming installed the Quality mindset in the Japanese after his ideas were not accepted by Ford in the late 50's, and Japan started kicking butt. Quality issues hit the American car makers but they are improving as of late. True statement that almost every car Japanese companies put out are great, the best perhaps being the Camry, however, the 81-83 Toyota diesel PU, I owned one, was a DOG. There ARE some ground breaking ideas coming from Ford and other American makers, will try to find the URLs as some look very bad to the bone. They are trying to get in on the successes of others and the market where people WANT these kind of things.
    hindsite:
    Re the sites, was not suggesting agreement, just curious how you FIND these things.
    mmcbride1:
    Mostly, I agree with you however a REAL hard-core 4 wheeler thinks the open is good for nothing. LS differentials are great, however, you MUST, if you change differential fluid, put in some compensator, or the clutches will engage when you don't want em, like on a curve. Plus the clutches WILL eventually wear out and need replacement but that is dependent on heavy use etc. But there is an edge vs an open with the LS. But more than likely if you are in 4 wheel drive, you will not hit a place that both front and rear are spinning a tire, and either of the 2 working correctly will pull you out. Lack of a LS or locker is no reason not to 4 wheel, unless it is all in bad mud. I agree, having owned a 71 Land cruiser, that not much stopped it and I think it was a 4.56 to 1 open.
    vince:
    Anyone with an open should have a come along or go with a friend to move a vehicle from a situation you describe, just in case. An open is only a serious disadvantage to, like a said, a hard-core off roader. Four Wheeler mag employees would not like it. You can get by without one but the LS is a nice feature. But in fairness to spoog, a locker is worth it if you need it. I can just never think of needing one. My solution is I am saving for a winch with a front receiver. That way, I can pull myself out if needed, front or rear pull, and the winch goes to my next vehicle. I would hope I would never need to use a winch.

cthompson:
    You are more than likely dead on regarding the Taco crawl ratio and why it is what it is. Now before spoog and hindsite jump me, that was NOT meant as a negative. It is just to compensate for the higher hp.
    The cooling issue spoog refers to is that older 4.0 engines had smaller radiators than the 98-00 and there was an overheat problem. A bigger radiator is/was the cure. My temp gage never even moves when four wheeling, ac on, ac off.

You know, the LS is nice and is an advantage in some circles, as is the locker. But the open is on quite a few Jeep Wrangler's some coworker owns and it never stops him.

I am going to look for the sites on the new upcoming fords. Even spoog would think they were mean. One was something like a 340hp V8 with just TONS of torque in an Explorer basic size. And strong indications they are going into production.
    Sorry if I misunderstood your post it was just there used to be this guy touting Chevy pushrod motors as being able to produce more torque than the Ford OHC motors ie: the 5.4. Like you said, it's all in the tuning.
    I hope I didn't misunderstand another post. A big bore short stroke motor is a higher revving engine. A longer stroke is more favorable from a torque standpoint all things being equal.
    If that Desert Excursion is based on the clumsy
    Ford Excursion, it is totally incompetent offroad.

Whats the point of posting Concept vehicles?
    Exactly the point I was trying to get across to vince. My open diff is perfectly fine for anything I am willing to subject a $30,000 truck to, and it will get me through wherever I need to go. If I want to go hard core, I will get an old CJ7 and add aftermarket lockers, winch, etc.
    You (and you too, vince) must admit though, the TRD is the closest thing to a production hard core 4 wheeler out there (outside of a Hummer or G-wagen), because TRUE offroaders (as you said yourself) will want a truck with a TRUE locker. Not a limited-slip.
  • jwsmithjwsmith Member Posts: 46
    Limited slip has applications and seems a good compromise between open axle or a true locker. I pulled into some very loose sand today at a favorite hunting spot - and will admit the limited slip was not much help - both rear wheels took turns spinning. The 4 high selector took care of the situation (which is why I bought a 4X4). I also agree if my intent was serious off road activity - it would not be in my $20+ Ranger or an even more expensive Tacoma. A built up CJ7 would do the job. The limited slip is good when you have a rear wheel that can get traction. Since it works all of the time - not just in a straight line - it is nice in the snow and ice - everyday driving. More and more cars are getting variations of it (traction control) and it used to be real popular with performance cars. Is there such a thing as a Spoog filter?
  • sredman1sredman1 Member Posts: 66
    ;)
    It's too bad theres not a generic "idiot" filter.
    MMC, I have NEVER put the Tacoma down performance wise or quality wise. The Tacoma is a good truck. What I question is its outragous price. Yes the TRD is a good offroad truck. But once again I have to ask for the 23K+ price is the locker and the sticker worth it?? How often will you use the locker? Most won't take the TRD into the terrain that the locker will be most benefical. I sure would not take a 23K+ truck rock climbing. Besides with its long wheel base trucks are not good for rock climbing.
    The limited slip is better than an open axle there is no question about this. And as I have said the locker is better than limited slip in hard and heavy offroad terrain. But as you said, in this type of terrain you will mostly see CJ's, and older type 4x4's that have been modified and the guys/gals don't care if it gets dented or severely scratched. Heck, I won't even take my 19K Ranger into places until I check them out and make sure I am not going to severely scratch or dent it or ruin a part of the suspension.
    See you in the Hills. Snow is a fallen on MT Hood hope to make it up in the next 2 weeks and bring some good pics.
    You followed me precisely - I just couldn't think of the proper name for it! Thanks for helping out.
    Vince - precisely the point - who is going to pay $20 -$30 thousand for a truck and and play Baja 500 with it? I don't dislike Toyota, own a 91 Toyota Cressida now and have owned four other Toyota products. Bought the Cressida upon return from Persian Gulf because nothing else came close to the value it offered. Like my purchase of a 2000 Ranger last month - couldn't see spending several thousand more when I wanted 4 doors and considered the use of the vehicle. Have 1500 miles on the Ranger now - and all is well. Great performance (without a supercharger) and value.
    I put a deposit down on a 2000 V6 TRD Saturday, getting it for $21,400. Did not plan on getting TRD but after I drove it I changed my mind plus got a really good price. Really not a whole lot of price difference in my case due to the fact that I dont have to add $ for larger tire and alloy wheel option. I dont understatnd the reasoning behind some of the earlier posts that said the Toyo owners would not take there 23K vehicles off road. Lets assume a 3K price difference between Taco and Ranger. It is absurd to believe that there is some line between the 2 prices seperates those who are willing to risk damaging a 19K truck from those who will not risk it for a 22K truck.

I realize there is a seperate discussion for this but I respect the opinions of MOST of the people in here. Does anyone have opinion on drop in vs spray in bed liners?
    When I said that there is not much of a price difference I meant between comparing Tacoma with TRD to one without. I found that when I took a Tacoma and added alloy wheels and larger tires I might as well get TRD for a several hundred more.
    modvptnl:
    i often do that to see if people are listening.
    You are correct, in GENERAL regarding the longer stroke for the higher torque engines.

mviglianco1;
    SPRAYIN, SPRAYIN, SPRAYIN!

Clear? I have the Ameriguard sprayin and love it. Nonskid finish, takes a lickin, keeps on tickin. . .
    Very good price on the TRD and good luck with it. Ah humm, when your back butt is sore, think of my comfortable (independently assessed) Ranger, and be REAL careful with them there side impact crashes cause you still have to pay it off even if your not around. . .(just gotta keep in the party line. . .).
    Whats that link with the pictures of your truck hauling the huge water tank? I would like to see if are any angles where I can see your sprayin. Thanks for opinion.
    That equals only a 2% crawl ratio advantage for the Tacoma non-TRD vs an off road equiped Ranger

Now it would be interesting to get the Tacoma automatic transmission ratios and COMPARE and run the numbers for it's crawl ratio. I would BET it would be very close to the Ranger automatic crawl ratio numbers.

Anybody have the Toyota automatic 1st gear ratio numbers?
    What are the specifics on your Tacoma? I was looking at a SR5 Limited SC - with all options and Automatic - but was priced just short of 25K. The Ranger I bought has all options and was under 22K. How do you use (or plan to use) your truck? Looks like you got a great deal on your Tacoma.
    I am not exactly sure how I got such a good deal. I live in Charlotte and started looking around town. Had terrible time with dealerships and was told if I was looking for a v6 x cab 4x4 non TRD I was looking at close to 24K. I decided to call a small town dealership in the mountains of NC where I went to school. They were extremely honest and did not try to push anything I wasn't interested in like the city dealerships. The one I put a deposit on is a demo that the general manager ordered and has been driving for a little over a week. He ordered it for its rare color. It is silver or what they call Lunar Mist Metallic. It is all power with cruise, no bucket seats but after driving both I think the buckets look nicer but not as comfortable. I posted the wrong price earlier it is actually 21,6-something. They showed me the invoice and it matched exactly what I was told by credit union. It also matched invoice I got from Priceline and Carpoint. I paid $20 over invoice. You could probably argue that the TRD is overkill for what I will be using it for in the near future. Like I said I live in Charlotte, not exactly 4x4 territory, but I do go to the mountains very often to backpack, truck camp, and fish as well as go for offroad drives now and then. Again the non TRD would have been more than sufficient fot this but after I drove it I really liked the way it handled, I like the stiffer suspension I have grown accustomed to in my older Toyota. My future plans are to move to cpousnr's beautiful state of Colorodo to get back to the mountains and get the hell out of the city. So I decided to get a vehicle that satisfied my long term goals and best suited my hobbies and again I just fell in love with this certain truck. Maybe I can remove the TRD sticker to avoid the negative reactions from other truck owners. It amazes me how many people in the various dicussion gruops, especially the ones specifically about Tacomas, seem to lurk around just to bash Toyota. Oh well.
    "The vehicles are basically equal in performance
    and the Four Wheeler article was EXTREAMLY BIASED"

lol!!! I would hardly call beating the Ranger in every single performance category biased. Were talking hill climbing, offroading, 0-60,
    braking, handling, ect. Look Cspounser...Petersons Off Road picked the non TRD over the Ranger in june in their compact pickup square off article.

The Ranger had the advantage in the 4wheeler mag.
    It had a shorter wheelbase, which reduced its weight and its length.
    The Rangers "offroad" package is a sticker and some shocks. Cspounser, you have that "delicate" rear end, dont you? Also Cspounser...how do you know you got the payload capacity option? If you didnt pay 70 dollars for that option, your looking at 1200 pounds max payload.

The Rangers with 40:1 just arent that common. YOu and Vince should have both done some studying
    before purchasing your trucks. YOur crawl ratios really hurt in the mountains.
    Guess you missed my point so will restate the facts:

1. The Four Wheeler article WAS biased towards the Tacoma given the difference in the configurations of the vehicles.
    2. The Four Wheeler article WAS incorrect in describing the Ranger. It DID NOT have the offroad option as proven by the math calculations of the crawl ratio, agin BIAS.
    3. The crawl ratio of a Ranger 4.10 rearend 5spd. Manual IS within 2% of a Tacoma and less than 4% of a Tacoma TRD.
    4. I do not consider my truck rear end delicate, as the Four Wheeler article considered the AUTOMATIC trans combined with the 3.73 delicate. My crawl ratio is 34.41 (which is quite a bit better than the 22.48 cited in the article, around 35% better to be exact exact) and makes it in the mountains just fine.
    5. There is not, as I understand it, a 40.0 to 1 crawl ratio in a Ranger. But a 37.825 (ranger manual with 4.10 rear end) is not that bad.

If a Tacoma owner would provide the ratio of the automatic 1st gear, we would
    Great deal! Most of us do overkill with our truck equipment. I could get by with a 2X in most instances - but figure if I drive like it is a 2X and get into something unexpected - I'll be able to get out. Don't have much rock climbing around the area here (Manistee, MI) but we do get some snow off of lake Michigan. Dedpending on the weather some of my hunting spots can be hard to get into - the 4X4 has been needed a few times. I've had good experience with Ford and Toyota in the past. Happy trucking!
  • mbeckermbecker Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have the Rhino Liner bed liner installed in their pick-up? I have been considering this for my 2000 Tacoma 4X4 extended cab.
  • daveeasadaveeasa Member Posts: 1
    Help. I own a '97 F150 (XLT, Supercab 4X4) and I'm considering a switch to either a Tacoma or Ranger. I love my truck, but I live in San Francisco and city driving/parking is just killing me. I have not yet done any test drives as I'm still gathering info, but it seems like the Tacoma is better looking and perhaps more fun, while the Ranger is the better value. My only gripes about my truck are its low gas mileage, difficulty to park, and lack of power on hills (5000 lbs is a lot to push, even with 8 cylinders.) Am I silly to even think of a small truck, or is it possible to be happy with a downsize?
  • xena1axena1a Member Posts: 286
    daveeasa-

I drove a '90 Chevy 1/2 ton, 2WD, standard cab,
    short bed for 9 years. I recently purchased a '99
    Mazda B3000 (same as the Ranger) 4WD extended cab.
    I loved that Chevy, but I just didn't need that much truck. So I took the plunge and switched to the compact. Steering, braking, handling, and build quality are all superior to my previous truck. But the thing I have really liked from the outset is the compact's maneuverability and ease of use. Around town, commuting, parking, off road, the '99 B3000 does many things very well. For me, I like the smaller size. It has turned out to be a good move. Going to a compact from a full-size is not for everyone. But for some, it is certainly worth considering. Good luck in your decision...
This discussion has been closed.