Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

First time buyer

kbenjamin827kbenjamin827 Member Posts: 1
edited December 2015 in BMW
I'm looking into buying a 2003 bmw 330i, it has about 127000 mileage, mostly highway miles, and it is a basic model with a v6 engine. I think it uses premium unleaded. It's listed at 2700 so I really want to make an offer asap. I'm still young so I don't make a lot of money, so I am wondering how much it costs to maintain it, like oil changes and how much would it cost to get things replaced. Basic things like brakes, tires, and rods.

Thank you

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    That would be a straight-6 engine. Anyway, it sounds too cheap to be a very nice car, and repairs and maintenance are extremely expensive, so given your statement about money, I would definitely pass on this one.

• karhill1karhill1 Member Posts: 165
    Not wise to buy a used BMW. Historically, the repairs will be frequent and expensive. Might be better to buy a brand with a solid reliability record. Say Honda or Toyota.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    As other have said, they are not cheap to maintain. You can also count on some expensive replacements that are inherent in that engine, such as complete coolant system, which it may be due for its 2nd very soon since the first was likely needed at 70k-80k miles. If money is tight, you should pretty much be avoiding luxo cars.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Agree with everyone here....if it needs "rods" as you say (assuming tie rod ends, or worse, connecting rods), you're looking at a HUGE bill. The repairs could easily exceed the price of the car.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • rhinestonefuserhinestonefuse Member Posts: 76

Drive it. if it runs smooth, quiet and everything works and it stops in a straight line, buy it. Expect to spend $750 for new radiator, $600 for brakes and $1500 for other expenses n the first 20,000 miles. Enjoy.