Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lost without a Car - Please Help!

mikeinalabamamikeinalabama Posts: 1
edited January 2016 in Ford
Any and all help would be appreciated, as I'm in a situation where I totally don't know how to proceed. My 2009 Ford Fusion just broke down (motor blew) with $8,000 left to pay on it. Estimated repairs are $7,500. I can neither afford this nor want to end up paying what the car is worth on a vehicle that's running out of time as it is.

The dealership told me that I cannot get a used car, as banks will not give a loan to me for a used car with negative equity of about $8,000 added on to it. We looked into a new car, but all monthly payments are astronomically out of the question (I need mine to stay between 300 and 400, which is what I pay now, but they are saying 500 and upwards, which I cannot do under any circumstances).

I don't have anyone who can co-sign on a loan (not that I necessarily need that, just putting it out there) and I only have $750 dollars for a down payment. I will have an additional $2,000 in two weeks, but I'd like to stop paying on rental cars in the meantime so I want a car as quickly as possible.

Am I doomed to have to take the bus for the next two years, or is there anything I can do to get a car?! I feel so helpless.

Comments

• steverstever Posts: 52,457
    First thing to do is call around and some second opinions on repair costs.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,482
    OK. First off, what do you mean by the motor "blew"? Is the entire engine destroyed, or is it perhaps a head gasket issue? Who diagnosed the problem? Did you get a second opinion?

I'm thinking that if the engine is repairable for say $1500 or so, that's the way to go. The notion that the motor "blew" is too vague upon which to make a good decision on this matter.