Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Acura TL Navigation System Hints and Experiences

Comments

• Options
    rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    09 TL's with Navigation also use Gracenote for CD song information. The Gracenote database requires updates to ensure accuracy.
  • Options
    2000-2003 still get 2.50 which means they may stop updates for this platform
    2004-2006 owners can now upgrade to 3.71
    2007-2008 owners can now get 4.64 which is finally available. Those people can finally update their system to have the latest information.
  • Options
    Well you can rip your own CD's to the hard drive but you can't transfer MP3/WMA files. The hard drive is still limited to 12.7 GB. You can burn mix CD's as audio CD format which most music programs do. You can transfer pictures but only 10 of them through a flashdrive. This will be used as a wallpaper or screensaver. They even integrated it to the Memory system. Driver 1 and Driver 2 can each personalize their wallpaper.

Backup camera has lines to help with the parking. So it has some form of parking assist.

Maps are avaliable through a dealer or by acuranavi.com/. Acura will let people update this system yourself. There are scenic routes on this new upgraded system. Expanded Hawaii and Alaska coverage will be a plus.

This new nav system overall is probably an improvement. The VGA display is much better than the current Acura navigation system. Like having a high-def display for navigation.
  • Options
    kennyg8kennyg8 Member Posts: 225
    I don't believe the 09 can rip DVD-A or DTS tracks and store them on the hard drive. This makes the one-disc player highly deficient because without the six disc changer, you cannot play six discs of DVD-A or DTS music that are supported by the ELS audio system, which Acura touts (and many of us believe) is an excellent 5.1 system. Too bad Acura did not think this through before deleting the changer.
  • Options
    I probably forgot to mention that. Yes but the hard drive takes room. Maybe the nav and radio are an all in one unit with a separate screen. It doesn't rip DVD-A's. It doesn't even rip MP3/WMA's. The hard drive is a specialized unit made for an automotive environment.
  • Options
    smlull163smlull163 Member Posts: 15
    Not sure this won't be deleted, but I'll ask. I'm tired of having to push OK every time I start the car. I bought the car, that should account for something. I have a 2008 TL w/NAV. I love the car. I guess I'm looking for a computer hack to do away with the start up OK button. Any ideas? Has anyone done this?
  • Options
    upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    Blame it on the lawyers! I have to do the same thing with my portable nav everytime... :(
  • Options
    ronkinronkin Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2003 TL with navigation. The navi screen is black and the button controls alongside it don't respond. The dvd box in trunk will not take in the dvd. Everything else in the car (including radio) works perfectly. I checked the fuse marked "navigation" and it seems fine. I'd love some suggestions -- no owner's manual was included with the car! Thanks very much -- Joel
  • Options
    The older ones can be hacked but thats a feature Honda can't take out. If they did people would sue them.
  • Options
    ponderpointponderpoint Member Posts: 277
    Does anybody have the good fortune of trading in an earlier TL (w/ navi) for one of the brand new 09's also with navi?

I'm just trying to save time without bothering a car salesman to see if the navi has vast improvements or just so-so upgrades.

Some posters may recall I'm the curmudgeon that slammed in-dash navi's a while back, the TL's was no exception and urged people to "save yourself the money and get a portable" until the in-dash units "grow up".

My two biggest gripes with the TL navi was not having the capability of "outlawing" U-turns (a simplistic pre-select in portables) and absolutely NO detail in maps two clicks out in zoom.... Any big changes in these areas?
  • Options
    smlull163smlull163 Member Posts: 15
    Sue? If I hack my own car and it ends up not working, it's my fault. Guess I'm a little thick headed. Since I work in computers (project management) everything is hackable. Just has to be the right person to do it. Thanks!
  • Options
    It supposedly uses a SH-4 based processor and Windows CE as an OS. It's possible to remove it in the older cars but not the newer 4.xx system. As for suing it's that Acura or their supplier Alpine must have this as a liability. It prevents them from getting sued not you. The nag screen is there so that people don't crash their car and sue them cause the nav system caused the crash.
  • Options
    taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    I have an '04 with Nav, and definitely do not share your criticisms. I got to drive an '08 as a loaner car while mine was in the shop. I know you're concerned about the '09s, but figured I add that I don't think the detail has increased (I actually prefer the elss detail as you zoom out). Don't know about the U-turns.

I think the biggest improvement is that you can enter street names verbally. Don't know when this changed, but on my '04, when it gets to the street name screen, I have to manually enter the address by hand, so this is a big improvement.
  • Options
    "I think the biggest improvement is that you can enter street names verbally."

Wow. That is a nice feature. Looks like it's a wrap however, I did not realize the new 09' TL is no longer available in a manual transmission so... I'm no longer interested in the car. Enjoy the navi.....
  • Options
    taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    Undersrtood. I love my 6MT. I think that when Acura added the S type, they did away with the MT for nonS's. I also wouldnkt pay extra for the S, so I'm thinking my next car will be a CTS, G8, or legacy GT
  • Options
    afreedmanafreedman Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 TL with Nav and want to upgrade my Verizon cell phone to the LG Dare. Acura will not tell me if the phone is compatible; only that it is one of the phones in their "pending " list of phones. Does anyone know if this phone can be paired to my car and is compatible?

A freedman
  • Options
    afreedmanafreedman Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 TL with Nav and want to upgrade my Verizon cell phone to a LG Dare but Acura will not tell me if it is compatible. They will only tell me it is in their "pending list" of phones to check out. Does anyone know if the phone can be paired and is compatible with my car.
  • Options
    charlie71charlie71 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 MDX and decided to update the nav system. It comes with a setup dvd and then the nav dvd. The problem is that the setup screen is hung up and displays the diagnostic screen (all green) with a button that seems open indicating “detecting”. I have let it run for over thirty minutes without it changing and going to the usual nav screen. Any suggestions on how to get the system to complete the update?

Thanks
  • Options
    vballplayer30vballplayer30 Member Posts: 27
    Debating the 09TL front wheel with or without Nav. I have a garmin already, but the other features are nice. Is it worth 3K more for nav? Anyone have a price with Nav? I saw someone listed without nav for 32, 395, which seems pretty good.
  • Options
    "worth 3K more for nav?"

If there's been significant improvements perhaps... If you already have a Garmin you may be in for a let down. my experience is only with the older nav in the '06 TL... I don't even turn it on anymore (the in-dash) and use my portable Garmin... That's how bad it was.

There's suppose to be a lot of improvements with the '09 however, maybe an extensive test drive would be helpful.....
  • Options
    vballplayer30vballplayer30 Member Posts: 27
    It seems pretty good from what I've heard. You can voice activate directions, and change directions while driving(some new luxury cars will not change the directions unless you pull over). Even more than the nav, the tech package comes with the back up camera, the hard drive to store music from cd's and the keyless push button start which seems kinda cool. However, much of this was said by the dealer so i don't know it all first hand.
  • Options
    Well you do get the ELS audio system. Tech Package models include the ELS sound system with DVD Audio. You do lose the 6 CD changer but there is an iPod compatible USB port so yea. You can play MP3's on DVD-R's, USB Hard drive and USB thumb drives so you get the point. The other feature is the remote start. The 09 TL has a new revised Navigation system that uses a VGA display vs the 04-08 TL's non VGA display. There is also a 40 GB HDD that has a 12.7 GB partition for Music. The nav has scenic routes and zagat surveys.
  • Options
    http://guicide.com/cars/2006civic/nav/hacks/

Here is the software reload. You have to follow the instructions. Map, Menu, and Cancel pressed at the same time get you that menu. Hit version and press DownLoad. The Diagnostic menu on the Civic Nav is the same for the MDX.
  • Options
    jzuccojzucco Member Posts: 5
    My NAV system started to say I needed to change disk. This caused the display to go blank and I lost all CD and screen functions. The dash would still list channels. I took car to dealership and they had to send out my NAV system. The outsource company said the NAV system had H2O damage (only way I can figure is from temperature changes came condensation...I live in NH). With the NAV out I have no functionality at all other then the radio works but I have no idea which station, dash info is blank too. Q.Can the CD be made to work without the NAV? If not, is the only other option a $3k NAV system from Acura?
  • Options
    jorge12jorge12 Member Posts: 1
    If you are not in a rush to get a new one , and have a lot of time to shop around ,
    you might want to check out the junk yards or car wrecks and you just might find a good working screen and for a real low price too .

hope that helps
  • Options
    Great Point! I am in NO rush to spend $3K :-). Thanks!
  • Options
    Also check ebay. They have some TL parts for the 2004-2006 TL. 2007-2008 use a different nav system.
  • Options
    Smilesfromme2uSmilesfromme2u Member Posts: 1
    My NAV '04 completely stop working. I can still hear the radio but there isn't anything on the screen. I also took it to the dealership and I was informed that it would cost $3900 to replace since they do not repair them. In addition I took it to another place for a second opinion and I was informed that the NAV system wasn't working because it had been exposed to mositure in the trunk... and that it is common in Acuras and Hondas (the car was purchased in MA)...Just wanted to share my frustration as well especially since I've been spoiled with using it to find my way around and I've only owned the car since July 08.
  • Options
    johndylan6johndylan6 Member Posts: 2
    Don't feel so bad, my '06 TL did the same thing. I'm spending $2k to buy it and putting it in myself.
  • Options
    Before you purchase new, check the salvage/junk yards and ebay. I have found them from $300-$500. Don't get soaked by the deal!
  • Options
    johndylan6johndylan6 Member Posts: 2
    That is on ebay. I also need the wiring harness as well, the one that was installed was made by the previous 1 owner who added the Nav system aftermarket. So my warranty is not covered on that. Wish I had known that before hand. I need the Nav drive and wiring harness, but only one guy is selling the wiring harness on ebay along with the whole kit. I have to buy the whole kit.
  • Options
    graffixxgraffixx Member Posts: 41
    I own an '05 TL Auto with nav and it's a little off. I've never upgraded the nav software.
    By a little off, I mean it's usually off by less than 20-30 feet or so.
    As I approach my destination, the nav will say "destination"... but I'm not there...I'd have to drive up to 30 feet or so before I reach my final destination.
    It's been like this for a while now, possibly since day 1, but I haven't been bothered by it too much.

However, I'll be bringing my car in for a B2 service this weekend, I might as well bring it up to the dealer, though I'm not sure what they can do?

Is there a way to calibrate the nav? There's a setting, but I think that changes the POSITION of the vehicle, and that's not what I want.

Any thoughts?
  • Options
    markcpmarkcp Member Posts: 11
    I'm looking at an 09 TL with tech. I am worried about all the sytems connected to the navigation screen with the Tech package. Could I expect 6-7 years out of this system without repairs? We keep our cars that long, and don't want to be putting big dollars into a system I really don't need. I have found a 1500 mile 09 with tech for the same price as a new 09 TL base, and I'm going back and forth what to buy? Any help? Thanks everyone, Mark
  • Options
    trailhikertrailhiker Member Posts: 26
    Mark, I had the same concern a year ago when I bought my '08 TL with the Nav package as I planned to keep the car 5 - 8 years. I was able to negotiate down the cost of the extended warranty for several more years after the mfg warranty expired. Well, exactly 1 year to the day, my Nav system failed and it turned out to be the Nav controller. I believe that part was around $2k to replace. Although it was covered under the standard mfg warranty, if it had failed during the extended warranty period, I would have saved money buying the extended warranty as the repairs would have been more than I paid for the extended warranty. With all the electronics on the TLs, it is peace of mind having the extended warranty. Yes, the extended warranty is negotiable and I think you are better off getting the warranty thru the Acura dealer, just make sure your thoroughly read the warranty and clearly understand what it does not cover. Consumer Reports indicated there is much less of a problem and hassle getting the extended warranty work paid for when you get the extended warranty thru the dealer. Of course if you keep the TL only a few years, the extended warranty is not worth the cost.
  • Options
    bojohartbojohart Member Posts: 5
    Just picked up my new TL Tech..Leased for 2 years..40,000 miles $5500 down and $591 a month..having a problem entering phone numbers..anyone else having this problem?
  • Options
    Map updates are going to happen for the 09 TL. It uses a HDD for the nav system. Updates are via a DVD. Acura has added some security codes to prevent you from buying cheap ebay map discs or copies of the disc. I think there is some NAV ID and then you use that to enter a code that enables the update. The update will take about an hour to an hour and a half. Might take less time or even longer. It might also include a firmware update. It's got to transfer a lot of data which takes time.

The disc can be ordered at acura or www.acuranavi.com/.

The 09 TL has Gracenote CDDB and that's a free update. In fact, I highly recommend you get your cars CDDB updated to the latest version since it will have all the music info. Thats like your music database.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    We took ownership of a used 09 Acura Tl with tech. Sorry to say we didn't get a full training on the system since it wss purchased at a non-Acura dealer. While driving with the audio display screen up, we get the voice warning of a non- road condition when my wife drives into a gas station or other road. I have been busy reading through the 600 plus page owners manual and 170 page navigation manual. Is there a way to disable navagation completely while driving on local roads? We have been using the moon/sun button to darken the display, then go to the off mode. Once in the off mode, then we access the audio screen.
    Thank you,
    Mark
  • Options
    Went more in depth in the owners manual when I got off work and turned the prompt sounds off.
    Mark
  • Options
    If you have a 09 TL with Tech package a CDDB update is now available. Updating the CDDB should be done as soon as they release them to keep up with all the latest CD releases. Version number is 8.6.0020 and you can get it at myacura. Takes about 20 minutes but if you don't want to do it that way you could get it done at the dealer. All gracenote updates are complimentary during the warranty or life of the car. So yeah, go do it!
  • Options
    deitzadeitza Member Posts: 1
    Appreciate any thoughts others may have on this. Earlier this year, I upgraded my nav system DVD with the latest (think it is version 4.7.3). A week ago, I took a long family vacation and found that at roughly 2 1/2 hours, my nav system would consistently freeze. It did this 4 straight times. By freezing, I mean that not only is the system not updating location, but the entire screen is unusable for audio tuning or any other system functions. It would work fine after the car had been turned off and back on -- even remembering where my destination was and plotting the remainder of the trip.

Any ideas on this? Is is a known issue? Is there any way to force a reboot of the system while driving?

Appreciate any thoughts -- I'm still under warranty and will call my local dealer, but not sure if they'll just tell me to revert to the previous DVD...
  • Options
    bobjonbobjon Member Posts: 2
    Is there a way to delete all, or some of the destination addresses in my navi system? I've gone through the manual and could find nothing on this. Thanks, Bob S.
  • Options
    6nascar66nascar6 Member Posts: 3
    check pages 81 and 82...

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/om/EQ0707/EQ0707N00081A.pdf

should apply to the 2005 also.
  • Options
    bigsellbigsell Member Posts: 1
    Yes, it will allow ripping from DVD-A!
  • Options
    knightrider_99knightrider_99 Member Posts: 1
    I have two major frustrations with my navigation system. My first concern I have had since I leased my vehicle (Nov '07) which was that the maps are very out-dated. Nearly half of all the addresses I try to locate in my navigation system are not found. I am a small business owner and rely on my vehicle a lot to get to my customers' residence or place of business and this is one of the major reasons why I got a "fully-loaded" model. My navigation disc is version 4.56A. I tried working with my local dealer without success and then Acura Client Services with the same outcome. Just more recently (a couple of months ago) I started having major problems. My navigation would quit working and show the following error message, "DVD disc reading error....please consult your dealer" My dealer tried cleaning my disc which made it work for a short time and that was all they offered. Then Acura Client Services stated that Alpine Electronics manufactures the disc and there wasn't anything they were going to do about it. I can't believe that Acura being a luxury car company wouldn't be willing to fix my problem. All that I request is for a complimentary replacement since my vehicle is still under warranty (20,000 miles). I don't think it is unreasonable for me to receive a navigation disc at no charge because the one I have is defective in more than one way. If Acura isn't willing to resolve this issue I guess this will be my last Acura!!! Hopefully someone out there can help me!
  • Options
    rvator4rvator4 Member Posts: 84
    I actually purchased a new disc before a vacation trip. It locked up many times, gave wrong directions, was missing a 4-lane highway near our destination that was 40 years old, and didn't have our final destination on it even though they had lived in the home for 5 years. I contacted Alpine and they told me two weeks was the time you had to return it and in the original packaging. After a claim to the BBB, they sent me a mailer and a full refund.
    I would contact the BBB where Alpine is located and file a claim.
  • Options
    The 09 TL navi system is HDD based. You'll can order the disc from acuranavi.com/. The update is tied by VIN and device ID. Only 1 car per update. This prevents people from reselling the disc or making copies for other people. There is also an update status feature that can let you preview the disc. This DVD will also update the Firmware to 1.90. Map version is 7.80. 7.70 is what all 09 TL's have right now with firmware v1.80. Should take a while to update it so be patient. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    seadubseadub Member Posts: 4
    Did some test drives today (2010 Acura TL SH-AWD, Infiniti G37x, BMW 328i) and while overall - granted based on just short test drives - the Acura outclassed the others in comfort (especially me being 6'3"), one major disappointment appeared.

The navigation system maps seemed positively childlike in appearance (literally, first-gen). Top-down only view, basic black lines for roads, a few icons, and an arrow pointing your car's direction (rather than turning the map and keeping your car/arrow pointed up at all times). Not intuitive, very primitive.

Is this the only view available? Salesperson assured me it was, but I find it hard to believe that's the case. Personally, I much prefer 3D (or perspective) view and in this day and age would consider it standard with any advanced nav system.

Tried searching online for anything to disprove this - materials, videos, etc - and everyone talks about how 'advanced' the acura navigation system is, but sure doesn't seem like it.

Can anyone clarify this? I would probably get this car in a heartbeat if it had a current-gen set of views/perspectives, but what I saw might be a deal-breaker. I drive quite a bit in big cities and am used to my Garmin Nuvi, can't go back to top-down only views.

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    mikey38mikey38 Member Posts: 141
    Sounds like the map was in north up mode. You can change to heading up by pressing the GPS icon in the upper left hand corner.
  • Options
    6nascar66nascar6 Member Posts: 3
    I have both and It's no Nuvi.

Many things I love about the Acura Nav and many things I love about the Nuvi. Unfortunately not much of what I like about one is not in th either and vise versa.

My guess is you might be disappointed.