Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Acura TL Navigation System Hints and Experiences

Comments

• Options
    graffixxgraffixx Member Posts: 41
    Apologies if this has been discussed before. I tried searching but wasn't successful.

I just got my '05 TL w/ nav 2 days ago and noticed that while driving during night time, the nav display is still showing in "day" mode. The display is set to "Auto". The "bright" is set to factory default, which is right at the middle.

When the headlights are on, shouldn't the display turn into "night" mode so that the background is dimmed. I have to go in and manually set it to "night" mode for it to work.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
  • Options
    zeakzeak Member Posts: 24
    When you toggle the setup button to screen #1 there is a selection of display, choose "Auto". This make the display brightness change when headlights are on.
  • Options
    taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    Yes - once you zoom out beyond 2 mi (maybe starting at 2 mi), the system will only display "north up." Only when you're less than that level of zoom can you toggle between north up & heading up.

If you think about the view of the screen, this makes sense b/c beyond 2 mi, you're not looking at turn-by-turn directions; its more of a general guide.
  • Options
    from your description, there does seem to be a problem. If, as you said, the display is set for "auto" and the brightness (by the gauges on the dash in front of the steering wheel) is set to anything other than "max," when your headlights are on, the screen should automatically switch to the night setting, which is mainly black.

If you're sure your setting is on auto (think it's screen 2 or 3 of the setup screen, I'd just play with the brightness a bit to make sure. If that doesn't work, there's a system problem.
  • Options
    If, as you said, the display is set for "auto" and the brightness (by the gauges on the dash in front of the steering wheel) is set to anything other than "max,"

That was it. The brightness (by the gauges on the dash) was set to max. I had no idea that was causing the problem. I thought it was for the dashboard only. Thanks!

Is the brightness by the gauges the same as the one from the "setup" menu #1?
  • Options
    I believe the brightness on the nav's setup screen is only for the nav system. The brightness level by the gauges only affects the nav when at its brightest.

I earlier posted that I like this feature b/c on those rainy days when the sun is out and I put on my lights (have to put on your lights whenever is rains in FL), I can hit "max brightness" to override the auto display and display its daytime settings.
  • Options
    Ah..that makes sense.

Here in California, you're required to turn on the headlights once you turn on the wipers.
  • Options
    ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    Hey guys,

Does anyone know when the Navigation Update will be released for the TL? Thanks.
  • Options
    For those of you that were wondering about this, the Acura website says the latest version 3.50 will be released in October.
  • Options
    nightcrawler29nightcrawler29 Member Posts: 146
    Just press the "Max" button located on the dashboard next to the stearing column. This will change the display of the navigation from day to night and viceversa.

I usually drive with the headlights on all the time. This has saved me from a few close calls due to people being distracted on the phone and not paying attention to see if there are any incoming cars... so by having my headlights on, it attracts more attention, and helps me avoid accidents. But anyway, since I drive with the headlights on I just use the "Max brightness" button to flip from day/night setting on the nav. Not big deal. When I turn off the car and lock my doors with the remote, all the lights will go off.
  • Options
    I've started doing the same thing. That max brightness button has been a great find!
  • Options
    ceccamceccam Member Posts: 3
    Hi all, have been reading these forums for months and have obtained a wealth of info about the TL ..... Have had my 05 TL with Nav for about 3 months. Love the car, had no problem linking my blue tooth phone to it etc. . A problem I am having is when I enter a location the directions I obtain are not always the shortest distance. For example it gave me a route that was about 50 kms longer then one I have previously used. Is there a way to have the nav system map out shortest distance. I appreciate any assistance.
  • Options
    muminmumin Member Posts: 13
    Acura TL is very high on my wish list. I have couple of questions about its NAV features.

1) Does it have auto zoom feature(for example before the next turn it magnifies the map)?

2)From reading the forum I think it's safe for me to assume the NAV hasn't the light sensor( auto brightness of the screen, not counting lights on/off). Am I right?

3) Can you program your own POIs? (for example bike shop, computer repair, the best place to park on the crowded beach, etc)

4)The matter of stability of the system(skipping) when the surface of the road is less than perfect(bumpy)? I own garmin 2620 and it can ocasionaly reset itself in such conditions.

5) Can you set up the system so it will inform you about the turn let's say 400, 600,or 900 feet before the turn. Is it adjustable?

6) Can you search the addresses by the place you visited most recently?

Any help will be appreciated.
  • Options
    When the address pops up and it asks if it should plot the course, there's an option to "show routes" which will show the different routes. There are also default options that you can find by playing with the set-up menu. I believe "Direct Route" compromises between mainly highways and shortest distances.
  • Options
    I'm gonna reprint your questions and answer them

1) Does it have auto zoom feature(for example before the next turn it magnifies the map)? Yes. The screen will split before a turn - the righthand portion is magnified. There is a default split-screen option, but I haven't played with that yet.

2)From reading the forum I think it's safe for me to assume the NAV hasn't the light sensor( auto brightness of the screen, not counting lights on/off). Am I right? Right. You can set it manually; have it automatically controlled with the headlights, or override the auto with the "max brightness" button.

3) Can you program your own POIs? (for example bike shop, computer repair, the best place to park on the crowded beach, etc) Yes, but I don't know how - need to check the manual or play with the menu buttons. I've programmed in some saved addresses, but I think that's different from what you're asking.

4)The matter of stability of the system(skipping) when the surface of the road is less than perfect(bumpy)? I own garmin 2620 and it can ocasionaly reset itself in such conditions. Haven't experienced that and I've ridden on bumpy terrain. Had mine since February.

5) Can you set up the system so it will inform you about the turn let's say 400, 600,or 900 feet before the turn. Is it adjustable? No. It seems to depend on the road. On long straightaways it might count-down for a mile. With city streets it might start at 500 ft.

6) Can you search the addresses by the place you visited most recently? only if you set the nav to find it. For example, as your driving around, the system isn't remembering every store you pass, nor is it remembering where you turned the car on and off. However, if you used the system and programmed it to direct you to the nearest Home Depot last week and need to go back for a return, you can go into "priro directions" (or something similar) and find it. You can also use this feature to save an address to your saved list.
  • Options
    muminmumin Member Posts: 13
    Big thanks for clarification. I really appreciate it.
  • Options
    jason82jason82 Member Posts: 24
    I own a TL without Nav but I regret not getting the Nav and so now I am considering buying a handheld portable one I reserached some and found the new Magellan Roadmate 800 (which will be out in a couple of weeks) it's a step above the magellan 760 anyways I think it's the best one out there...does anyone have any idea if it will be comparable to the Nav that's in the TL? could it be better? Is it definitely worse? some thoughts? thanks
    here's a link to the new magellan
    thanks please let me know your thoughts and opinions
    http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/magellans-roadmate-800-revealed-128439.php
  • Options
    liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    Jason82,

I saw the Magellan 700 at Sam's and was pretty impressed with its capability. Its also nice because of its probability so you can actually take it when you travel and rent a car.

I believe there are only 2 or 3 map companies out there and Navteq is one (I can't remember the others). Navteq for instance supplies the nav dvd's for Audi, BMW, Infiniti, Ford, Jag, Mazda, Mercedes, Nissan, Volvo, and VW. So even though the systems are different, the data DVD's are quite similar.

Best wishes.
  • Options
    tlgaltlgal Member Posts: 22
    I've been researching TLs for a month and have decided to purchase an '06 at the end of October. I have a question regarding the gas. A couple of different salesmen have stated that I don't have to use premium gas with every fill up. One guy said I could put premium in every fourth tank, and another one stated I could put premium in whenever I felt like it. (sounds suspicious) I realize I'm getting this info from people who have a vested interest in me giving them my hard earned dough.
    The Acura literature states premium gas. What's your take or experience?
    Also, I'm torn as to whether to purchase the backup sensors. I don't know if it's really worth the money, and I don't know that I really like the look of the little dots on the back end.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated!
  • Options
    jason82jason82 Member Posts: 24
    thanks!
  • Options
    bplayerbplayer Member Posts: 56
    If you do some more research, you will find lots of opinions on regular vs premium. The engine is deigned for premium but will adapt to regular. In summary:
    Premium = more cost, better performance, and higher gas mileage
    Regular = lower cost, lower performance, and lower gas mileage.

I have used mid grade gas in my 99 TL with no adverse problems.

Backup sensors are for those who are not confident in their reversing skills, or reverse in a areas with lots of kids. If you misjudge and reverse into a pillar, the cost of repairs would be about 60% of the cost of the sensors. Back into a person. Well, you work it out. I usually reverse into a parking space, it's safer and less chance of hitting something going in, or being hit when coming out.
  • Options
    TLGAL,

In my opinion, you should always use premium gas in the TL. I believe that there was an extensive discussion about this very topic and I believe the conclusion that everyone seemed to agree on was that although you might be saving money initially by putting in mid-grade vs. premium, but you are losing performance as well as getting as not getting as much gas mileage had you would have gotten had you put in premium fuel. However, I believe this discussion was in another TL discussion board. I am confident you can get a better idea if you do a search for this discussion in the other TL boards.

If your curious, my salesman told me to only use premium. Additionally, if the literature and manufacturer recommend it, it might be prudent to do so.

As far as the back up sensors are concerned, I personally don't think it's worth the money and I would much rather prefer turning my head when backing up as opposed to having those little dots back there.

Albeit, I am sure they come in handy for some folks out there . ;) .Hope this helps.

-ggesq
  • Options
    tlgaltlgal Member Posts: 22
    Thanks!
  • Options
    joseph42sjoseph42s Member Posts: 13
    Has anyone tried to convert their nav's to play dvd's? I know I found a site once where you could send your nav unit in and they would do the hacking to make it possible. I dont think i would get the nav on the new tl I am looking at, but if I could convert it, it may be worth it. Yes yes, I know you shouldn't watch movies and drive, but I like it for everyone else in the car since I take such long road trips. The driver just pics a movie they know, and they can enjoy it mostly through listening.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    This has been discussed in various make/model topics throughout the Forums. You can try an advanced search, or you can check the Navigation & GPS Systems discussion.
  • Options
    barry_santosbarry_santos Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 2005 TL (no nav) and am having the HFL "Booting up" problem as well. No response from the talk button either. Was your problem resolved? Were you able to link your phone?
  • Options
    barry_santosbarry_santos Member Posts: 2
    update to my previous post: The Acura Dealer generously took a working HFL module from a brand-new TL and replaced mine. One day later, the car is perfect, and I no longer have the "booting up" problem. I am using a Cingular Treo650 and even though Acura doesn't yet (10/05) support it, it works great.
  • Options
    els1els1 Member Posts: 4
    Can the Acura Navi system be programmed while the car is in motion?
    I've been researching the Lexus ES330 and have found that their system
    cannot be accessed while the car is in motion for safety reasons.
    Even a passenger cannot program the system unless the car is stopped.

I find that very inconvenient. Is Acura's system the same?

Any comments would be much appreciated.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    eg424eg424 Member Posts: 24
    I'm considering purchasing a 2006 TL with Nav. I was in a friends new Infiniti G35 and noticed that he was able to change the Nav. screen from a day to a night look. It made the screen much less glaring at night.

I've searched all my TL info and cannot find out if the TL has this feature. I do not see a button on the dash that accomplishes this feat, like in the G35, but was wondering if that option actually showed up on some screen in the Nav system.

I could ask the Acura salesman, but the people in these forums seem to be, in many cases, better informed about the car. How scary is that!!! I would appreciate any response. Thanks
  • Options
    Can the Acura Navi system be programmed while the car is in motion?

Yes. It's easy to do, too, as it can be done via pushing the screen, using a toggle-button or with voice recognition.
  • Options
    Re your question about whether the TL nav screen has a day/night feature:

Yes it does. In fact, if the G35 forces you to manually toggle between the 2, then the TLs system is better. In the nav setup menu you are given a choice between having it on the bright "day" setting (where the colors are mainly green and tan for non-road areas, and red and black for roadways) and a "night" setting" where the background is generally black with blue and red roadways. The reason I say it is 'better" is that if you keep it on "auto", then it automatically switches between day and night settings depending on whether your headlights are on. Headlights on - night setting. Headlights off - day setting.

Still, there are times when you have your lights on and still want the "day" setting - like on a rainy day that's still sunny. Acura thought of this, and allows you to override the "night" setting" by hitting the "max brightness" button on the dash. You would then need to manually turn off the override nect time you want the night setting.
  • Options
    Thanks for the quick reply. My 2002 TL also allows you or a passenger to
    program the Nav system. In my search for a replacement vehicle, I find that both the
    Lexus and Infiniti Nav systems, do not allow the Nav system to be programmed
    while the car is in motion. You must be stopped. I can understand that it
    could be a distraction for the driver to program, but there should be an allowance
    for the passenger to program the system.
  • Options
    Which infinit are you referring to? My understanding is that the M35/45 does allow programming while in motion, but I don't know or sure.
  • Options
    eg424eg424 Member Posts: 24
    Thanks for your response. I agree with you that, in fact, an auto response system for the lighting of the Nav screen is better. This is good to know. I knew I'd get a knowledgeable answer from someone in the forum!!!!
  • Options
    awe, shucks!!! :blush:
  • Options
    I was specifically looking at the G35X. I was told by the salesman that
    the Nav system can not be programmed while the vehicle is in motion.
    I would suspect that to be true of the entire Infiniti line, but I don't know
    that for sure.
  • Options
    Hmmm...I thought the M35 might be different from the G35 b/c the M35 is the next generation Infinit system that has voice recognition. What's the big del about voice recog if you have to be stopped? Still, after reading you post, I did a quick search and found this on the M35/45 Problems board:

#144 of 183 Re: M35 DVD OVERIDE [dockirsch] by homantag Sep 27, 2005 (11:54 pm)
    Replying to: dockirsch (Sep 19, 2005 2:19 pm)
    Have you been able to find a fix for this? I have looked and can't find antything. I also wanted to know if you have any information on a fix that will let you use the navigation while moving.

So I guess you're right!
  • Options
    ilove70ilove70 Member Posts: 9
    would you say the new magellan roadmate 800 or 760 is better than the in car TL's navigation system or at least equal to??? make me feel better since I am kicking myself every day for not getting the Nav in my TL so I figured my only option is to buy one of these
    thanks and please let me know what you think
    if the link does'nt work then just go to www.amazon.com and type in roadmate 760 or roadmate 800
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000B854FM/qid=1130389824/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_- 1/002-8236917-5952062?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846
  • Options
    johnep1johnep1 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a DVD navi system on ebay to replace the hard drive based system in my '99 TL. The seller doesn't know if the system takes the black or the orange disks. The part number is 39540-sz3-a920-m1. If anyone knows which disk goes with this system, I would really appreciate it.
  • Options
    nbwnbw Member Posts: 18
    I own the Garmin and the Acura TL Nav system.. The Garmin is the best unit out there for detail and accuracy.. I've been all over the country and it has everything built into the memory.

The Acura system is wonderful because of its screen size and the fact that it controls so many other things.

So in answer to your question, if you don't have the Acura Nav, don't go with anything other than Garmin... they also have excellent customer service.
  • Options
    ilove70ilove70 Member Posts: 9
    well thanks for the reply but I had already bought a magellan roadmate 760 the next day so i did'nt see your post in time....technically I have 30 days to return so I can always switch for the garmin however I'm very happy with the roadmate so I don't see any reason to change it...have you ever seen or used the magellan roadmate? It might even be better than the Garmin
  • Options
    mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    Last week I happened to have the opportunity to compare a Garmin 2720 side by side with a Magellan Roadmate 700 on a road trip. The Garmin was far and away the better product -- in terms of graphics and ease of use. In terms of routing algorithms I didn't notice much difference but we were in a relatively rural area at the time.
    I've also heard very good things about TomTom. I'd check out their offerings as well...
  • Options
    usntl05usntl05 Member Posts: 8
    I found out here from a stereo shop that you can purchase a converter so you can be able to watch DVD's and still have the same touch screen features, that comes with the original factory settings. Yea its illegal, but I am going to do it myself, just switch back if you get pulled over, and claim ingnorance, what movie, what VIDEO, lol. its about 1200.00 bucks I think the guy said.
  • Options
    vrooommmvrooommm Member Posts: 10
    why in the world would you feel compelled to watch a DVD in such tiny screen? Just because you think it's cool or you can? It's a recipe for disaster: a ticket, smash your car, YOUR LIFE!
    With the 1200 I would buy a big screen and enjoy it at home.
    That's just me. :confuse:
  • Options
    usntl05usntl05 Member Posts: 8
    As far as ticket smash or YOUR LIFE, I think thats a little bit to the EXTREME vroooom, Its all about safety maturity and PREFERENCE., and lifestyle, 1200 dollars can not get you a good high end TV now a days, unless you shop at WALMART besides, I think if I had a choice I would rather have it in my DVD screen than the HEAD REST looking ghetto, and check the specs The TL screen is larger than most aftermarket players you can buy. again, its all about what you like and what you would want to do for you TL. SAFETY FIRST.
    USN.
  • Options
    needanapneedanap Member Posts: 4
    Is there a way to turn off the navigation screen? I know if you don't answer the legal disclaimer when you start up, the screen times out and blanks out. What about if you've already got it activated and you want to turn it off?
  • Options
    I don't think you could turn it "off," but if you hit the "audio" button underneath it, it'll display radio controls. You might be able to turn it off through the setup menu, but I'm not sure.

Just curious - why might you want to shut it off? Is it too bright, cause you can adjust for that?
  • Options
    dm25dm25 Member Posts: 6
    There's a box in the set up system. Screen/display off is grouped with the volume and brightness settings. Push it, return, and the screen should go black. However, the nav system is still energized. I suppose it comes on with the ignition key.
  • Options
    needanapneedanap Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at the setup screen.

Sometimes at night, I just don't feel like having it on - it's kind of soothing not to be distracted by it or the lights from the radio.
  • Options
    whittonmwhittonm Member Posts: 30
    I have an 04 G35X. You can program the NAV while in motion but you can only select previously used destinations, you are not allowed to manually enter addresses. BTW, the G35 NAV system is OK but not great - the popup screen is annoying, the joystick is difficult to use for input, and the map data is sometimes a little off. Its workable but quirky.