Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Aveo Hatchback

Comments

• Options
    poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    Sorry about that. Yes I agree it has gotten off topic. The Suzuki does share compenents with the Aveo, excluding the engine, but for the money I would still stay with the Aveo.
  • Options
    doohickiedoohickie Member Posts: 949
    Yep. Sorry 'bout that. 'nuf said. :blush:
  • Options
    randydriverrandydriver Member Posts: 262
    I was noticed that the inside of the Reno is very similar to the Aveo.......and use some of the same componets.....was that a mispell .....lol Any way I like my Aveo. Is there anyway of bumping up the mileage..mpg that is?
  • Options
    parky129parky129 Member Posts: 50
    I have a 2004 Aveo Hatchback, auto air cruise etc, and get 30-32MPG around town garage sales etc. When going from Florida where I bought the car to NY where I live in sumer I got 44 MPG. This is with automatic transmission, much higher than Gov posted expectations. It is all in the way you drive, if you push down on the gas and go faster gas mileage goes down. I drive at the posted speed limits, use cruise control when I can and don't leave stop lights as if in a race. My mileage can be duplicated by anyone who drives in a normal manner,not someone who drives as if they are being chased ( no implication here, don't know everyones driving habits) These cars are heavy (a much as an old Dodge Duster) you can't expect 50MPG like in a GEO Metro, they were almost 1000 lbs lighter and had a 3 cylinder motor. ( I has a couple of them ). Take Care, and keep the rubber side down!
  • Options
    Has been from lows of 27mpg around town to about 41 mpg on the open road...I have owned two Metro's an Apire and a Festiva and I liked them all. The Aveo is a jump in size for me.
  • Options
    Really? I have an Aspire currently and although the Aveo has an almost-usable back seat (head room a little cramped), the Aspire seems bigger in the front seats to me... and the ride of the Aspire seems bigger.
  • Options
    frenchard101frenchard101 Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone, i own a bright red 04 aveo special value hatchback, bought it in november for $5,500, just about half off :). this is a bitchin deal and with the leftover money ive installed a new soundsystem and now want to upgrade the performance. This thing could haul [non-permissible content removed] with a turbo kit but i havent been able to find such a thing. im wondering if anyone has added a new exhaust or something like that to boost it so i can try it myself, thanks
  • Options
    I know they make one for the Chevy Optra, also a Daewoo import.
  • Options
    muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    There is an underdrive pulley available for the Aveo, and some other parts - but I don't know if there is a centralized location to find them. There is a Daewoo Tech forum out there - not sure how much more I can say. Google can help.
  • Options
    I see a new Aveo everyday. I can't help but think what a nice ride for the money, and they sure must be happy with their purchase. I read that they are the most popular sub-compact in the U.S.
  • Options
    chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    When do the 2006 models come out ?
  • Options
    aveohappyaveohappy Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I just bought a 2005 Chevy Aveo SVM for $9,266. I live in Denver, CO and was wondering if anyone knows what I can expect to pay in license plates/registration fees?
  • Options
    Here in Illinois its now $78 as of two-years-ago.
  • Options
    Probably within a month, no later than September.
  • Options
    bob81bob81 Member Posts: 3
    Hello,
    I am very interested in your fuel mileage of 44 mpg on the highway. I have a 2005 with a 5-speed and can never get over 32 mpg. I think something is wrong with my car. When I accelerate the car it seems to bog and almost stall while I run it through the gears. Does your car do that? I look forward to your response! Thanks in advance, Bob
  • Options
    My car is an Automatic Transmission Model with Cruise control installed. I achieved the 44 MPG when returning from Florida where I purchased the car. I winter in Florida and live in NY state near Buffalo NY. My gas mileage usually never goes below 30 MPG during everyday travel going to garage sales etc, I live in a rural area so I don't have a lot of stop and go traffic unless it is for garage sales. I maintain posted speed limits always and when possible use cruise control to maintain speed. I have no problems with acceleration, although occasionally when I restart the car there is a short period of increased idle speed which soon smoothes out ( a couple of seconds time duration) I have had no problems with this car which has 12,500 miles on speedometer it is the best New car I have ever owned. I am 68 years old and have owned many new vehicles. :)
  • Options
    aveoboyaveoboy Member Posts: 2
    i know all of yall are sayin its not possible for a non hybrid vehicle to get over 45mpg but it is true that this past x-mas i took a 300 mile cross state trip to see my wife to be and on the way there and on the way back i averaged 50+mpg i dont know how it happend but the way i fig. it up the aveo has a 11.9 gal. gas tank and i only ussed half if that so u figure 300/6=50 but it happened and and i get about 40-44mpg all the time and for the people looking for performance parts check out ebay i already have a cold air kit and a chip and a muffeller with nos coming soon oh and a carbon fibre hood but i and still looking for the pully and i might call someone to do a prototype turbo for it but i dont know if i just want to wait and see or do i want to drop that kind a cash on something that wont cost so much in the future oh well i will let yall know if i find the pully. :surprise: just to let yall know what to expect after the nos my baby will do the 1/4 in the high 11's :shades:
  • Options
    That is incredible. Anything in the upper 30's is great, but this is real nice. Did you calculate your mileage by recording all your refills, gallons, etc. Even so if you were off 10%-15% it still would be great.

If I were you (depending on your financial situation) I would leave it stock. Maybe if you had the extra money you could get a second Aveo for those big modifications, and use the other as a daily commuter?

Was the high mileage noticed before you did those basic modifications-cold air, chip, muffler..
  • Options
    aveoboyaveoboy Member Posts: 2
    well what i did was i filled up at the corner gas station and i filled it till i could not suff any more in it which meant that it was holding 11.9 so i rounded up .1 gallon to an even 12 gallons and off i was to test my baby on her first long trip with out any stops just straight thru and yes this was before all the mods but now im calculating the mpg to see what it is now with all the goodies and for all of yall people who want to do upgrades check out ebay first cuz thats were i got the juice the chip and the cold air the muffeler was custom done at my buddys shop but we just did a bhp test and got an outstanding 200 in the shop well thats it for now but i will be back in oct. to let you know what mpg is now ;)
  • Options
    To do a proper mileage test you have to fill up till it takes no more (fuel at top of internal baffle) then drive it. Then you fill it up again to the same fill standard (top of baffle) then take the amount of gasoline it took to refill and divide it into the mileage traveled between the last fill up and this one to obtain your current gas mileage. Guessing just leaves you with a guesstimate, not actual mileage per gallon. Also Imperial Gallon gas mileage would be higher than U.S Gallon because of larger fuel content in Imperial gallon. :)
  • Options
    purduealum91purduealum91 Member Posts: 285
    200 bhp? Holy Cow!
  • Options
    i_l_aveoi_l_aveo Member Posts: 15
    I have Aveo '05 with auto trans. and i tested many times, I got about 24 mpg in local roads with many stops in nyc and 32 mpg in hwy.
    There is no way that car can get to 40's mpg.
  • Options
    I drive all over Texas in my car, difference is I have a 5-speed and I am getting 28-31 around town and 37-41 on the open road. Road speed and temperture and and the use of the a/c makes a difference. Lowest I ever got was 25.4 when I first got the car....that was town and on the open road it was I think about 35.0. The car has about 8500 miles on it now.
  • Options
    If you read a little into the forums, there are a few people who have seen 40 + mpg.
  • Options
    I've gotten as high as mid-40s with my Ford Aspire when it was new; 50+ out of an Aveo doesn't surprise me at all.
  • Options
    jeffdavisjeffdavis Member Posts: 11
    Chevrolet has shifted to the 2006 Aveo on their site. You can even build one yourself. www.chevrolet.com/aveo
  • Options
    I just checked my mileage. My 95 Aspire with 117k miles and slightly larger than stock tires (which reduces your apparent fuel economy because your odo doesn't spin as fast with the bigger tires) got 35 mpg on the last tank (mixed hwy & city). That probably means close to 40 if I had stock tires. A brand-spankin' new Aveo should be able to get solid 40s and maybe even 50 mpg on a long trip.
  • Options
    My Aspire was a 94 and I traded it in at 72k my last few takes were 36-40, it was a little heavy for the hp(63) the should have bumped it up instead of leaving it the way it was in the Festiva which was over 200lbs lighter. I got about 36-42 out of my Festiva it was a 93 with a 5-speed.....sorry to get off subject ...I was thinking if he was in New York maybe he is in some heavy stop and go driving ...that is the only reason I would think his mileage is so low.
  • Options
    I am not in a position to buy now because of a recent career change, but now would be the time.

From what I have read, the Aveo is the best selling sub-compact car in this country. I have seen more and more on the road, but I also see dealer lots full of them in every color and wonder why so many? When will people take the gas crisis seriously and discover this great bargain for the $$$.
  • Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    are both bargains and deliver pretty decent gas mileage. There is just this feeling in America that the men need a big 'ole pick-em-up truck, that the little Aveo would be pancaked in a bad collision, a person can't tow their trailer with one, they also can't tow their boat with one, on and on ad naseum. All fine excuses if you must do those things. Not everyone does have to tow all that stuff, they just want a big rig to feel big, to feel safe, etc. Remember, as Jim Carrey told us in 'Dumb and Dumber', "There's a lot of bad drivers out there!"

I think Aveo and most all small cars for sale in the U.S. (and those on their way, like the Obvio! cars from Brazil) will see increased or very good sales in the coming months. Who of you would say that you think gas prices are going to drop anytime soon? I hate to tell ya but once they spike they usually just drop a tad and then spike again. It just keeps heading in an upward trend The Aveo sedan and hatch are great bargains and very good choices now in this current situation.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    purduealum91purduealum91 Member Posts: 285
    Id pick one up today for that price.
  • Options
    lipreaderlipreader Member Posts: 1
    Really disappointed so far. I love the actual car, but I don't know how you guys are getting that gas mileage. Maybe it's still breaking in? Mine is an 05' hatchback, 5 speed and air, nothing else. The most I have got out of one full tank was 215 miles! Right now, I'm on half a tank at 75 miles! I had to take it back to the dealer the second week of owning it. The steering wheel vibrated big time from 30-65 MPH. They rebalanced the tires, but they said there was a new recall for reprograming the computer?? It's ran worse ever since. It's like it drags down on every gear, even in fitfh. Is this all just the break-in process? There was one guy who said he started out at 25 MPG and went up from there. I'm start and stop all the time here in San Antonio, with a little hwy but still... Good forum by the way!!!!
  • Options
    Dang, I can't figure out why your mileage is so lousy. Half a tank at 75miles, that's at least 5 1/2 gallons. My Swift got bad mileage for a while it was getting 21-24 mpg, found out it had a bad oxygen sensor. and my mileage when up to 36-39. There is something just not right. Sorry I wasn't any help.
  • Options
    sparxxxsparxxx Member Posts: 14
    I am waiting on the 2006 aveo to hit the local lots, but I have a few questions for aveo owners out there...

1) How does the aveo do in snowy conditions?

2) What exactly is the "hold control" function all about, and how does it work?

3) Anyone have/seen the key lime color? what did you think?

thanks from North Carolina
  • Options
    I don't have one, but I have driven them. The Aveo will do just as well in snow conditions as any small car which is good. The hold control is for locking the transmission in a higher gear as to keep the rpms down and thus help avoid wheel spin in low traction conditions such as snow. It is better to start in second or third gear as opposed to first when you are in snow or ice conditions to help maintain traction, like I do with my manual shifting S10 pickup which I will shift into the next gear in snow when I loose traction.

The lime color is pretty neat, different.
  • Options
    tabbyjtabbyj Member Posts: 6
    I have an '05 auto hatch LS with around 1,850 miles. I've noticed that when the car is shifting from third to fourth there seems to be a bit of a lull. No more than 30-40 seconds, but long enough that I feel it should have shifted already. I've driven 5 speeds and know that if I had the power, I would have shifted. I also notice during straight stretches at a steady speed of 45-50 mph there seem to be these little "surges", it feels as if the car shifted down to third and back to fourth. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this, if it's a normal occurence, or if I need to contact the dealer.

TIA
  • Options
    I would contact the dealer to see what they say.
  • Options
    cynthiamorriscynthiamorris Member Posts: 1
    Where did you find the AVEO this cheap? I want to get one!!
  • Options
    muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    Best mileage ever reported = 36.6mpg
    Average = 27mpg (lots of trafficky driving)
  • Options
    groth12345groth12345 Member Posts: 17
    I have a 5 speed base model (sedan). Just filled up my first tank, mostly highway miles. 35 mpg!
  • Options
    chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    Is it just my eyes or did they darken the interior plastic on the 2006! The LT has silver trim rings on the gauges and vents... the Charcoal color looks so much better! I can't wait to see it in person... :D:D:D:D
  • Options
    just wait till you get it broken in. Your hi-way mileage should go up 2 or 3 mpg's.
  • Options
    groth12345groth12345 Member Posts: 17
    I am hoping for 40 mpg!
  • Options
    my best mileage was 41.1mpg driving on old backroad hiways in north texas up to southern oklahoma and back with out a/c in the spring.
  • Options
    colepcolep Member Posts: 3
    I drive the same mileage (40 miles one way) to work at two different locations, mostly highway driving with my 2005 Aveo auto/air. One location takes me through a 4 mile section of red lights, the other has one stop light. I get 36 mpg with one stop light and 32 with all the stop lights. If 8 miles of stop and go driving makes 4 mpg change, then the Aveo w/auto is not a good in town car. Others that I have talked with, that drive in town get 32 with their manual.
  • Options
    roselandroseland Member Posts: 4
    Replying to question #3:

Bought a lime '05 Aveo LT a couple of months ago (with lots of extras, including fog lights, sun roof & mudflaps), and really enjoy the attention it gets... especially from other lime-color car owners (Saturn, Saab, Kia Rio). I feel like I'm in an exclusive club. Key Lime isn't on the GM '06 Aveo website (just like it wasn't last year) so I wonder if it still exists or has been replaced by another "secret" color. (After a little web searching, I'd say that lime green is a fairly common color on the various Kalos models around the world!)

Now, to other matters:

Sure wish the "city lights" in the headlamp housings functioned. The lenses are built into the housings, so it seems tacky not to put lights in them (maybe as an option).

When it comes to the "repeater" turn signals on the fenders (a very nice Euro/Asia touch!), I prefer the older orange lenses with clear bulbs (they're much easier to see flashing in the daylight) to the current clear lens/orange bulb arrangement.

My favorite Aveo quality: sitting high in the front seats. Provides better legroom, a great view, and a feeling of control over the vehicle. Makes it easier to get in and out, too.

Any way to bring a Wave or Sprint+ into the U.S. legally?

Overall, I'd say my Aveo is a solid, quiet, nimble, responsive little car, with good initial build quality. (Way better than the Daewoo/Pontiac LeMans I owned years ago!) I wonder if I'll feel the same way about it a year or two from now.
  • Options
    I owned one of those LeMan's also-1988. I got the bargain model which I believe was around $6,000. It got very good mileage, but had a lot of electrical problems leaving me stranded several times after it rained. Luckily I had an extended warranty for that car. The build quality also was not the greatest.
  • Options
    fdannafdanna Member Posts: 263
    I noticed on the Chevy website they don't list mileage figures for the 06 Aveo. Something, therefore, must have changed on the car to warrant a retest, otherwise they'd just report the mileage numbers from last year. Anyone have any more information on this?
  • Options
    jkramerjkramer Member Posts: 6
    The "Find Vehicle" search from the chevy web sight shows that some of the dealerships in Southwest MO have the 2006 hatchback in stock.
  • Options
    csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    I may have posted this before but not sure on which board. It seems the Aveo is doing a lot better reliability wise than the Suzuki-sold cars. Anyone have an idea why?

-- better dealerships?
    --insistance on the part of Chevrolet for better quality?
    -- simpler car?

I've read that the Verona and Forenza (and I guess, Reno) are bringing down the Suzuki quality ratings. On the other hand, Suzuki boards seem filled with dealer problems as well.

Having just moved from a Hyundai Elantra to a Malibu Maxx, it seems that it took a year to get the Maxx right but the Elantra was good from the start (2001 which I had). The dealerships seem a lot stronger over on the Chevy side, however. This despite a lot of complaining about Chevy dealers. I for one, think GM has learned from their Saturn experience.