Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Aveo Hatchback

1252627282931»

Comments

• pat137pat137 Member Posts: 1
    My check engine light came on in my 2010 aveo. Dealership said it was a spark plug. I had it replaced by them and then noticed the car was still sluggish. I then had all plugs replaced and still noticed slugishness. Now my light came back on and I am now a little over the warranty miles. Dealership said the problem is with the aftermarket high end plugs. I told them it was a reoccurring problem, but they wont budge. How frustrating that Chevy will not back their product!
  • sillysmilesillysmile Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2009 Aveo Hatchback brand new. Since I have bought it the shift sticks in between gears. Today, for the 3rd time, I was trying to shift into fourth gear.....Scary thing....NO GEARS!!! I could NOT Shift into Any Gear!!!! Almost got rearended (again) and well, after pressing the clutch several times I finally got it into 2nd gear --- which was way too low! I've taken it to the dealership numerous times, however they conveniently can never "duplicate" the issue. they say they have to duplicate the issue in order to investigate further...Um... I've been driving manual transmission vehicles for over 20 years, there is a problem, yet they make me feel as though I'm crazy and don't know what I'm talking about....There's less than 32,000 miles on the vehicle and I'm at my wits end. Take it to another dealership? Oh, and NO there isn't any floormat under the pedals. Please advise!!! Funny, my dad, friends, & sibling have ALL duplicated the sticking of the shifter (in & out of 1st, 2nd and reverse)....Humm...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter wonders about Chevy's reputation abroad. If you did not grow up in the US, email pr@edmunds.com by 4pm Eastern today, April 13, 2012, to share your thoughts on Chevy's reputation back home.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    I would assume, given your mileage, you are still well within your powertrain warranty on your Aveo. If you wanted to know for sure, send us an email to socialmedia@gm.com with the last 8 digits of your VIN and we'll get more info your way.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • ryanhall85ryanhall85 Member Posts: 2
    I have a Certified used Aveo5 that I just purchased. I bought it at 59880 Miles about a week ago. I am bringing it in tomorrow (currently at 60227 miles) for a dome-light repair. This car is currently covered under the original 100K/5yr warranty and the GM Certified warranty/Maintenance coverage...
    Now I'm curious...Given that the GM certified dealer had this car and was going through the 172-pt inspection at 59.88K miles and knowing someone would be buying this car just under 60K miles, should they have swapped out the timing belt?(scheduled maintenance at 60K recommends replacing the timing belt per the owners manual) Will the timing belt replacement be covered under either the original 5yr/100K warranty or the GM certified warranty? Or is this something that I will have to pay for out of pocket immediately after purchasing the car? (for the record, I don't know if they have replaced the timing belt or not, but I will ask tomorrow. I just want to know what to expect) Thanks for any clarification.
    I'm sorry I didn't see your post yesterday, ryanhall85. What did you learn today at your visit for the dome light? How did everything go?

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • ryanhall85ryanhall85 Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2012
    Dome Light - They repaired the dome light which they said was covered under the warranty.

Timing Belt -
    They said that even though the timing belt is scheduled to be replaced within a few days of getting the car, they could not replace it under my warranty unless something goes wrong with it. To an extent I can understand this, however...if something goes wrong with that timing belt, (which has been known to happen on these cars between 60k-80k miles) it will cause a lot more damage than just the timing belt, which will require much more work to be done than the initial timing belt replacement. :sick: I thought it would make sense from both a business and customer service standpoint, to replace it now. They felt differently. :(

Other issues - Prior to bringing in the car, I inspected it thoroughly to have them take care of anything else that may be wrong. I didn't inspect as closely as perhaps I should have as it was night when I bought it (black car) and it was supposed to have been through the 172-point inspection listed on the GM website. I pointed out to them a very deep long scratch on the bottom panel of the car (not including a number of other light-medium scratches) which should have been taken care of during the certification process under (Pt. #36 - recondition surface chips and scratches) as well as a deep dent above the hatchback door which should've been covered by (Pt# 33 - Reasonably free of dents) There is also a large chip out of the plastic on my window. ( That one's not clearly on the inspection list, just very unsightly)

I had the service manager write up these issues and he said he had to run it past the used-car dept. He said that the used car manager denied all of the repairs due to being cosmetic and not covered by my warranty.

My problem however is that I have a "Certified Used" car under a "Certified Used" warranty which I knowingly paid a hefty premium for. I paid for peace of mind that I didn't have to get out a magnifying glass and crawl under the car to inspect for scratches and dents, because such things were inspected for and/or repaired during the GM certification process. Perhaps I should not have so blindly trusted a car dealer. GM or not.
    That is what I learned today.

So I believe my next course of action is to attempt to file a claim with GM to see what they think and how they interpret their 172-pt inspection as well as the standards used to list these cars as "GM certified" and if it is OK for dealerships to list cars as GM Certified that do not meet GM's strict quality standard for said vehicles. :confuse: From a business standpoint, the "GM Certified" label can be a great tool. As long as it means something to the buyer.
    I will let you know what I learn from that as well :)
    Good morning,
    If you would like for us to look further into this and you haven't already made a call into the Customer Assistance Center, we can be reached via email at socialmedia@gm.com. To open a Service Request with us, please include the following information in your email: your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, the name of your dealership and a description of the situation at hand.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • hurricaneharryhurricaneharry Member Posts: 1
    It sounds like the same problem that I am having. I bought a used Aveo with 40k on it. After I have driven it about 5k, the engine light came on. I also received the recall letter for the plugs and wires about the same time. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the parts but did not even bother to reset the engine light. (I guess that costs extra). I went home and reset the light. (I have an adaptor that hooks up to my laptop.) The light stayed off for a couple of days and the car ran really good. Then it came back on and the cars is running low on power again. I also notice that the brake get really hard to push sometimes. Mostly after the car is warmed up. I believe I am having an issue with a lack of vacuum. I am going to put a vac gauge on it to verify this. I am not sure what might cause the low vacuum. I do not hear any vacuum leak. I will post more later.
  • nickthegreeknickthegreek Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2012
    OK, here's my list on my "NEW" car.
    Wheel bearing, cracked radiator, bad ignition coil, new spark plugs (twice), O2 sensor, cat coverter, bad wire to the O2 sensor, replaced air bag module for the passenger side twice, replace the entire instrument cluster, new hose for A/C, and now it is currently in getting all new injectors. I have opened a complaint with GM to have this car replaced. Talking with the "agent", she asked if I was concerned that the check engine light was on. My reply was no, I'm concerned that it doesn't go off!! Worst car I ever owned, used cars included.
    Good morning nickthegreek,

It looks as though you're already speaking with Customer Assistance on this, correct? If not, we're happy to get a Service Request set up for you if you wanted to email us at socialmedia@gm.com with further details (including your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • rjewelrjewel Member Posts: 6
  • chevyvictimchevyvictim Member Posts: 2
    Bought my Aveo brand new in 05, loved and babied and maintained that car very well. 3 days ago the timing belt failed at only 55K miles on the freeway, totally shut the car down. And now as a result of the belt failing the engine is basically destroyed, with repair costs of approximately $2500. And Chevrolet knew about this problem long ago but did nothing to warn owners or recall, totally negligent. Incredibly corrupt company if you ask me, I feel a class action lawsuit is necessary