Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet Malibu: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    I went to the site mentioned earlier and checked again under MALIBU this time. Sorry, but NHTSA reports the service bulletin as #3000, and the NHTSA reference number as 10008849.

This is for 2004 Malibu or Mailbu Maxx only. I don't have any other info, sorry.

Perhaps E2helper has already posted the TSB or can repost it?

As a side note, Pontiac's G6 "SS" version will supposedly have Hydraulic Power Steering.

Keep in mind BMW also has electric power steering in some of its model, and that car enthusasists seem to like the Electric power steering now in the Saturn ION Redline (the latter uses a different position feedback technique than the Malibu does, though).
  • Options
    sean3sean3 Member Posts: 158
    please dont keep punishing us with the half as_ malibu, you are very capable of better, Shame on U GM :(
  • Options
    redc0ugarredc0ugar Member Posts: 55
    Her car was towed to the dealership last Saturday...the main Computer was replaced. Service Mgr. said GM wouldn't allow shipment of more parts until the computer was installed, in case that solved the problem. The Engine harness was then replaced. Fuel injectors, then the Main Wire Harness. I've installed wire harnesses and believe the carpet & seats would need to be removed for that replacement. The dealer still isn't done...

My Daughter asked one of the owners for an appraisal (her Malibu is loaded, a 2004, and has 19,000 miles). The appraisal came in at $12,000. NOT GOOD at all...the balance owed to gmac is $18,000.

I read an article recently, stating the American Car Companies are gonna get hurt badly...from buying their harnesses & electrical parts from 3rd world nations. They lack skill, motivation, and knowledge to make these critical parts.

Electrical problems with a new launch vehicle is a MAJOR problem, GM needs to fix this ASAP!
  • Options
    37453745 Member Posts: 152
    Good grief ! That dealer sure seems to be doing a shotgun approach to your problem ! Do they know what they are doing?

Most car manufactures including imports out source wiring harnesses to so-called 3world countries. You can hardly find a "Japanese" brand camera that is not made in China anymore. That is the way all things are going these days.

All manufactures have problems with new launch vehicles. Just don't forget Ford and the Focus.
  • Options
    joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    Keep posting, I am LMAO reading them.
  • Options
    Hilarious !
  • Options
    Electrical Connectors are a big reliability issue, but China (now making much of the world's personal computers) can and does supply components as good as anywhere in the world.

I've seen wiring for both Toyota and GM, and Toyota's is better. Toyota uses phosphor/bronze and adds a sealing compound to their connectors. GM (apparently) uses tin and no sealing compound for theirs. Tin is dirt cheap, but oxidizes. In the computer world, tin's reserved for only the cheapest and most expendable products.

Is it any wonder why Consumer Union's reliability ratings for electrical systems show virtually ALL GM cars as severely deteriorating after 3 years, while Toyotas soldier on for 6 years or more with little trouble?

My concern is the new Malibu will be just as bad as the previous ones in this area. Only time will tell.
  • Options
    its not all that funny when the setup can be dangerous,the alignment issue had nothing to do with the electric system, thats another problem, As far as electrical that has always been a severly weak area for GM, why after all theses years they cant rectify it is beyond me, as my beater car I drove a 1988 OLDsmobile recency 98 brougham 3800v6 , and never had any electrical issues, dont know if i got lucky or GM was using better wiring back then, How much could good wiring and connections cost? instead of tearing a new car apart, GM has the funds to Research and develop good cars for the North AM market, butseems they still severly lag...
  • Options
    This is the first time I've heard of mechanical alignment issues with the Malibu. Electrical alignment yes, as when the dealer changes the steering column and fails to do a proper electrical alignment. Then both Saab and Opel must be having mechanical alignment problems because they use the same platform. They sell thousands of Opels in Europe. I never heard of anybody complaining about the Saab steering geometry. And, they don't use electric power steering. Surely after making zillions of cars GM knows how to design a geometrically correct steering system.

As for using phosphor bronze connectors, just take a peek at the engine compartment and fuse box next to the passenger seat and what do see? Huge phosphor bronze earth lugs. I haven't investigated further but the wiring looks good to me. I've been in the electrical/electronic game for 50 years and I know what's good or bad wiring and the Malibu is no worse than my Honda Prelude.

What is a cause of concern to me though is the liberal use of micro processors throughout the new Malibu which are causing problems. But in this respect it's no worse than the BMW iDrive or any other modern car for that matter. European cars in general have a very bad reputation for electrical problems. It's not so much the wiring that causes problems but the computer systems.
  • Options
    China can indeed make quality products when the price paid to them is right. However, unscrupulous importers also get them to make very shoddy products at cut-throat prices. But that was not my point.
  • Options
    redc0ugarredc0ugar Member Posts: 55
    I haven't mentioned the Focus...because that isn't what my daughter was stranded in. This is the Malibu site, correct? Until Automakers face & correct their problems...they will continue to lose market share. If the problems are from the computer & the electrical harnesses...they need to purchase those components from better vendors. My Daughter is an RN at a major hospital in DETROIT...she needs a relibable car in THAT town. Driving a vehicle that is plagued with electrical issues could be a risk to her life, in more ways than one.
  • Options
    You'll most probably find that one or two chip makers are supplying the auto industry with computer chips so there is not much choice of vendor there. Across the board including Toyota and Honda, there are more and more computer problems. Just take a visit to the other boards on this website.

Engine tuning is done by upgrading the software today and not by twiddling screws on a carburetor. It's just like having to upgrade your software in your computer because of a bug. The owner is left to the mercy of the dealer who might and might not do a good job.

That has been my complaint all along. My friends 2004 Toyota Camry has had endless problems with bad automatic gear shifting. There is a software glitch in the computer. His dealer is less than helpful.

Why I mentioned Ford Focus was because when it was introduced it also had some serious teething problems including the endearing habit of seizing up the rear bearings and twisting the stub axles off. That and endless other electrical glitches. Ford has sorted out the problems and the Focus is now a recommended buy. I'm sure the Malibu will also sort itself out.
  • Options
    I believe Motorola mades most if not all of GM's distributed controllers and provides processers for the computers.

Wrt wiring, the connectors on the wire harnesses themselves is what I am referring to. One example is next to the gas tank underneath the car under the right rear doorsill just before the rear wheel. Salt spray could create real havoc there as there are no spray shields or anything to protect that connector.
  • Options
    Motorola makes quality products and if they do supply GM then I don't know if there is a better supplier.

I've not looked under the car to examine the wiring but what I've seen is pretty much what most cars look like today. You could always spray a protective coating of DeoxIT D5 on the terminals to protect them from corrosion. The stuff is very good and improves electrical connections. It comes in a handy aerosol can.
  • Options
    Motorola has been developing distributed controllers for automotive use since the middle 1098's (I worked on some of the earliest systems). They do make very good products.

DeoxIT D5 and ProGold, from Caig Laboratories, are indeed excellent contact cleaners and sealers.

Another sealer is from Corrosion Technologies, and is called CorrosionX. This stuff is used by the military for protecting ferrous and other metals against salt and other electrolytic sprays. Very effective, and will protect electrical connections as well.
  • Options
    maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    "Motorola has been developing distributed controllers for automotive use since the middle 1098's (I worked on some of the earliest systems)."

kurt: I didn't think you were that old!
  • Options
    ericw55ericw55 Member Posts: 53
    He started in 664AD (anolog days).
  • Options
    maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    my Maxx should last that long!!!
  • Options
    " One example is next to the gas tank underneath the car under the right rear door sill just before the rear wheel. Salt spray could create real havoc there as there are no spray shields or anything to protect that connector ".

I've just had a look in that very position under my car and what I see is a black plastic closed box about 6ins by 8ins. I see no exposed terminals. Are you sure there is not a cover missing? Ok, I've got the 4cyl. Malibu but I'm sure they wouldn't leave exposed terminals on purpose underneath your car.
  • Options
    The way it was explained to me is that they (GM) is making special updates to the electric alignment bacause the subframe wouldn't allow the original factory specs, but once it was alligned correctly GM expects no further problems with the steering components. GM suprised me with the interior of the New malibu, looks good.
  • Options
    Since the problem with the EPS is purely an electrical component failure, I fail to see what the sub frame has got to do with the issue. The electrical slip ring develops noise which shuts the EPS computer down. What on earth has that got to do with the sub frame? My nearly one year old 2004 Malibu is running correctly with the original steering. It drives straight and true and tire wear is perfectly even. I love the feel of the steering and when I drive another car I miss that.

Quite frankly, I think the dealer that told you that story hasn't got a clue how the system works or what the problems are. You should delete everything he told you.
  • Options
    I thought I was the only one that feels that way about the EPS, 5K and I really like it.
  • Options
    sgr5516sgr5516 Member Posts: 163
    Well, it's been in teens the last few days and as I suspected, the windshield washers froze up. Had light dusting of snow/rain/ice Monday with temps around 32-33. Road crews put salt on all major roads. I went to use the washers after road salts sprayed up on windshield and they did not spray.

I do not have kinked/pinched hoses as washers worked perfectly a few days ago. Tank is full too. As soon as it warms up a little and hoses thaw out, I am going to drain the tank and put in the winter de-icing formula washer fluid and see if it helps. I had to do this on my older car which had this type of spray system.
  • Options
    Oops...Missed that goof; Motorola had been developing computerized controllers for cars since the mid 1980's (I was GM engineer then - am in mid 50s agewise).
  • Options
    tra2883tra2883 Member Posts: 79
    I've had the same problem, only the temperatures here have been around 10 degrees. Luckily, one of the nozzles didn't freeze completely. The one on the driver's side, closest to the a-pillar, didn't freeze, so I have been able to see relatively safely out of the windshield. The passenger side of the windshield is awful though. I may have to try the de-icing fluid too, because I can't deal with this all winter. I've never had this problem before, because all my other cars have had the nozzles mounted to the hood, and the heat from the engine prevented them from freezing up.
  • Options
    GM guy never mentioned anything about a slip ring causing a problem, Dont laugh but does the steering work in the ACC position and on position or just in Run position,Normal Tie-rods? Just curious ,,Watch spraying deicer on your paint, it shouldn't hurt the clearcoat, but it will likely take the wax off I think its pretty much rubbing alcohol, similar to what is in the HEET yu put in you gas tank to prevent moisture. Maybe try some armorall type of product on your nozzle? it has alot lower freezing temp than water does, and i dont beleive it dries..sean
  • Options
    mr_botsmr_bots Member Posts: 236
    I was driving back from a town Sunday that is 70 miles away, had cruise set on 75, came up to some road construction where the speed limit dropped from 70 to 55, tapped the brake to disengage cruise. After passing the construction I hit resume, car downshifted to accelerate but once making it to the set speed it didn't upshift back into 4th. I was on a flat road and it wasn't windy. I hit the on/off button and it immediately upshifted to 4th, then I sped up to 75 and set cruise and all was normal. Is this something that the new calibration will fix? Also, I'm still waiting on the dealer to get the tool in so that they can replace my noisy shift cable, I'm really kinda getting angry, it took a week for them to get the part, only to realize they didn't have the tool needed to change it.
  • Options
    beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    Me too. In fact, the steering is one of things I like best about the car...just the right balance of road feel and low-speed responsiveness. Manuevering the Maxx in and out of parking spaces is a breeze.
  • Options
    minn_maxxminn_maxx Member Posts: 51
    Greetings from balmy Minnesota. Currently 5F and temp dropping. Washer still work fine with fluid rated for -25F.
  • Options
    e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    I believe this is one of the things the new calibration was supposed to address.
  • Options
    paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    another steering fan here as well..I find the Maxx very easy to maneuver in and out of all the parking areas here in northern va.....like it much better than the feel of the road I had with my mustang!
  • Options
    Perhaps they added the box enclosure for the gas tank wirings on later builds? Mine was January, 2004.

When I take the Maxx in for (I hope) a dome light rattle fix, I'll ask them if the shield is indeed missing.
  • Options
    My build date is also January, 2004. It's 1-21-04 to be exact.
  • Options
    minn_maxxminn_maxx Member Posts: 51
    I think Kutamaxxguy is referring to an exposed connector (not terminal).

I just had my gas tank replaced and the dealer broke off one of the fasteners for the wiring harness (causing the wires to hang low). There is a connector that is fastened to the black plastic "box". This connector is not well protected from salt spray -- at least on my Feb 2004 build. I just used some wire ties to hang it a little higher.
  • Options
    Everything is normal that is, tie rods etc. The power steering is driven by a 60amp brushless DC motor which is geared to the steering column. The motor is mounted inside the car under the dash. The slipring transfers electric signals from the rotating steering shaft to the stationary pickup brush. Like the sliprings on your alternator. The problem on the new Malibu has been that the slipring causes noise which confuses the EPS computer. Much like brushes that are worn and spark on your alternator. GM says that grease contamination at assembly has caused this.

The EPS works the moment you start the engine. The EPS system is much more efficient than a hydraulic system because it only draws energy when you turn the steering wheel. A hydraulic pump always consumes power. GM claims a gas saving of 4%. Also, on an EPS system there are no pipes to leak and the system takes up very little space.
  • Options
    I never thought of the gas savings, just like the AC compressor, and a typical steering pump is always taking crankshaft power, plus no lines, pump, fluid leaks& contamination, A brushless motor can last a very long time, I wonder if they can use the same theory for switching the AC comp also? maybe it would draw to much power, the only thing left for the crank pully would be for the alternator and water pump, which I guess they could somehow design an electric water pump! Seems the water pump and alt draw the least resistance, then i guess your elec system would take up half the engine compartment with a large battery and alternator..who knows
  • Options
    michiganmaxxmichiganmaxx Member Posts: 72
    Add me to the list of "steering fans". I find the electrical steering to be excellent. I was skeptical at first of what, to me, was new technology, but am now a very satisfied driver. The responsiveness in all kinds of driving situations is a joy to experience.
  • Options
    I have had frozen washers on my vehicles at times, I finally figured out if by washing the car or after a rain storm water get into the orifice and freeze up. I now keep a pin with the plastic ball on one end in all my vehicles to clean out the opening , a quick fix.
  • Options
    The only thing I have found is when I drive my truck I think something is wrong with the steering, because it feels so heavy. Has anyone else discovered this.
  • Options
    jlwgmjlwgm Member Posts: 8
    Well, I still love my Maxx, even though I can't really remember what it looks like anymore...... Took it in for the gas tank problem and they did nothing because the codes were gone from the computer. Told to bring it back in when the light came on again. Which happened 4 days later. So I drive it to the dealer, leave the engine running and get the Shop manager to come out with his little computer reader machine and he proceeds to spend 30 minutes doing whatever. He said it was registering a large leak, but he couldn't figure out why. Now bear in mind, I have told everyone I have come into contact with at the dealer about the TSB and gave them the number. So he sets up an appointment for me to drop it off 3 days later since I was going to Vegas for 5 days and they would fix it while I was gone. Well, I've been back since LAST wednesday and they still have my car! Supposedly the one who did the testing left the codes for the writer who said he never got them.... So they spent a week and a half trying to get the light on again. Well that finally happened yesterday and the tech has supposedly spent the last 2 days on the phone with GM trying to figure out what's wrong..... Sigh.......Maybe because I told them about the TSB they want to prove it's something different? The writer told me today that they had the tank out doing compression checks both right side up and upside down.....WHY CAN'T THEY JUST REPLACE THE TANK??????? I've had a rental since I returned from Vegas last week, on their dime of course. So, after all that, I'm just curious as to who will foot the final bill for all this? Time and rental? I'm thinking the dealer isn't, or they would have fixed it by now. Are they stretching out the costs to make more from GM? I want my car back!!!!!!!
  • Options
    mr_botsmr_bots Member Posts: 236
    I actually work with a guy that has two jobs and his second job is a mechanic, or "automotive technician" at the local Chevy dealership, we we're talking the other day and he said that GM pays for the problems, not the dealer, and that GM has a set amount of time they pay the mechanic for a repair, say to replace the steering column GM figures 2 hours, but the mechanic takes 5 hours, they still only get paid for 2 hours.
  • Options
    or else the dealers would claim 4 and have worked actually 2. but from my understanding they often do not give the actual dealer adequate time, and so that puts presure on the dealership, and sometimes sloppy work because they know GM(or whoever) wont pay themmore than book time. Just like the insurance companys use although I think they are a bit more flexible. Sean
  • Options
    Warranty repairs in many businesses have a "cost per incident" computed and reimbursed by the company for a specific product. If the ethical company researches the actual services times thoroughly then the reimbursement should be fair.

Some companies, though, try to "cheat" and thus dealers have to overcharge for other work to make up for loosing on warranty work.

Also, some dealers may have higher overhead due to water/power, zoneing fees, taxes and other issues.
  • Options
    occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    I was in -7 temperatures last night up on Mass Pike near Pittsfield & tried wipers. The fluid came out ok but the wipers did not do a good job cleaning off the windshield. They get that way sometimes when too cold. Again, this morning in 0 degree weather sprayed fine but could not get passenger side of windshield clean because wiper blade too cold or whatever.
  • Options
    beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    By any chance, does this new calibration have anything to do with cruise control disengagement? Or is it just to address the shifting issues?

I'm still getting static from my dealer on the matter of having to stomp hard on the pedal in order to get the cruise to disengage. Sometimes there's a lag of several seconds even though I've pushed the pedal through several inches of its travel. And occasionally the throttle seems to "fight" the brake, adding power in an attempt to overcome the brake application -- a very weird feeling when you need to turn the cruise off quickly and start slowing down!

Two different service advisers have told me on two separate occasions that they've compared my car to others and it's "operating as designed". Any advice for me? Thanks.
  • Options
    e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    beedublu, based on what you have posted in the past you already have latest calibration in your vehicle.

It doesn't have any effect on cruise control disengagement anyways.

Only suggestion I would have would be for dealer to perform a Brake Pedal Position Sensor Calibration to "rezero" the system. It requires them using their "Tech 2" scan tool. Do you think this might have already been done based on your discussions with service advisors?
  • Options
    Here is a picture of the Delphi EPS system as used on the Malibu

http://www.delphi.com/pdf/s/str_esteer.pdf

The column mount on page 2 is the one used on the Malibu.
  • Options
    does the elec steering draw anyways?
  • Options
    mikie2mikie2 Member Posts: 1
    Season's Greetings All from Northern Canada

I purchased a malibu with a 200hp engine in August/04. Since October I noticed my mileage declining. I began to record my consumption and found I was getting 18 mpg (that's imperial gallons). Since then it's dropped to 12 mpg.

Today's list of problems include: no gear indicator on the dash, clock on the radio lost it's time, the driver's side passenger door won't close after 30 below, the driver's door won't close after 35 below.

Mileage is the key issue. Any ideas?
  • Options
    jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    Talking about strange cruise control operation-

has anyone else had the cruise control "auto-adjust" its speed? I live in the western North Carolina mountains, and routinely travel across a fairly steep one on my way to work. On the way up one side I set my cruise to 55mph (posted speed limit on the mountain). As the car crosses the top and begins the downhill descent it picks up speed from gravity. About 1/2 mile down the posted limit increases back to 65mph. What I usually do is just bump the cruise setting up. Occasionally though the car immediately starts accelerating from whatever speed it's currently doing. In other words, normal operation for most vehicles, including the Malibu, is that if the cruise was set at 55, but car is coasting downhill at 60 and I tap cruise + 5 times, the vehicle holds 60 (55 + 5mph). The Malibu occasionally increases to 65 for situations like this though, as if it was initially set to the coasting speed.