Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet Malibu Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• Options
    bigals87z28bigals87z28 Member Posts: 12
    Not all. The new Accords come with very expensive Mich. Energy MXV4's in either an H or V rated. Very smoooooth. But, very expensive.
  • Options
    niagaraniagara Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone looked at cleaning up the air filter box and changing to a K&N? I've done this on my '04 Impala LS and really liked the difference, but haven't looked into the 3.5 to see if it should be changed.

[2004LT V6 - seems like an incredible adventure!]
  • Options
    I dont know if KN makes a filter for the car yet.
    I know Sears has not updated there computers for the car. I plan on checking out KN's website tonight and see. With teh G6 using the same exact air box. That air intake looks VERY restrictive with all the 90* bends.
    Id still love to see an aftermarket exhaust with dual outlets. Nice rolled polished or chrome tips. The G6 has a nice set up, which Chevy got some of that love!

Edit: I just emailed and sent a request to KN asking for more info on a replacement filter or perhaps an FIPK in the future.
  • Options
    ssmaxxssmaxx Member Posts: 13
    dose anyone know if changing the air filter to a kn would void warranty
  • Options
    kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    I'd appreciate learning which manufacturers make affordable 16" FORGED wheels for the Malibu Maxx. The stock wheels and tires are ok but next year I would like to reduce unsprung weight and put a slightly more handling oriented tire set on the Maxx. No plans, however, to "plus" the car with 17" or bigger wheels.

Thanks...
  • Options
    paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    K&N filter will not void the warranty...you can read the details at the KN website
  • Options
    Ived done some research on aftermarket wheels for the Maxx..the bolt pattern makes it difficult to find rims to fit..either 16 or 17 inch..there are a few out there..most with the tire combination run 750-1200 dollars for a complete set...if you go back a few messages in this forum..I believe I left some messages on bolt pattern and websites that are carrying wheels.... www.tirerack.com has them as well to give you some idea on prices and styles...check message 73 on this forum
  • Options
    beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    On a less esoteric note: What's a good floor mat for winter climates where you're tracking in lots of salty snow and slush?

I don't want to mess up the factory mats, so I'll probably remove the front ones when the snow flies.

I've thought about using plain plastic or rubber mats during the winter months, but I dread the thought of what this gray interior will look like if there's any runoff from the mat onto the carpet. Is there something that will retain water
    without spilling onto adjacent areas? And that doesn't cost a fortune?
  • Options
    bee, weathertech does have custom sets that are deep and will retain water...and dirt...but maybe too pricey...$100 for the set but that includes front and back..you can get them in grey as well...50 for the front set

www.weathertech.com
  • Options
    mred002umred002u Member Posts: 4
    I am thinking of putting some BFG Traction T/A H rated, or BFG Gforce KDWS z rated
    there cheap and good
    if your looking for a bridgestone, go with the Turanze LS-T or LS-H, really good tire. Also the mxv4 is not that great of a tire, all it is is quiet and smooth, if you want performance, it sucks, the tire rolls over itself
  • Options
    mred002umred002u Member Posts: 4
    anyone have any places for a spoiler or maybe even a wing, I think I want to put in the upper part of the glass, I didnt like the one on the trunk, also anyone have links for some wheels, 17s would look good on this car
  • Options
    if you put a wing/spoiler on the upper part of the hatch..you will interfere with the wind flow and clearing features of the hatch window...on the 04 models...if you notice they added a spoiler to the 05 models..but also included a rear window washer and wiper as well..to clear the window...msg 94 has the link to the only site I have seen for a spoiler for the Maxx on the lower deck

tirerack http:www.tirerack.com offers some rims for the maxx..it has a new bolt pattern from the 03 model and not many choices out there yet...I had some links posted earlier in the forum if you want to read back some....but careful of the bolt pattern...one of the sites was wrong...if memory serves me correctly you need a 5 X 110 pattern...links are posted on message 73 in this forum
  • Options
    bwolterbwolter Member Posts: 51
    I too have been searching for accessories. Slim pickins. But, I will soon order window deflectors that fit in the channels and probably mud guards. Does anyone know if the guards can be ordered to match the car? I have the Silver Green Metallic. Was never a fan of green, but I love this car in every way EXCEPT for the following:

I recently purchased a new 2004 Maxx. Until recently I always had the radio and a/c on. This week I drove without them on and noticed what seems like road noise coming from the front of the passenger door area. It seemed annoying to me. Does anyone else experience this?
    I took a look inside the fender area and then opened the door and looked straight forward and saw what looks like a thin layer of foam. I assume it is a weak job of insulation. Or am I wrong? Any ideas?
  • Options
    tra2883tra2883 Member Posts: 79
    As far as the mud guards, I ordered a set from my Chevy dealer and they're a simple, flat black color. I think they look good on my Galaxy Silver Malibu. I'm sure that you could have them painted though, if you wanted to.

I'm not sure what to tell you about your road noise. I haven't noticed anything like that in my Malibu.
  • Options
    ldbmbldbmb Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone found a supplier for a Bra for the front of the '04 Malibu LS? GM has no listing for the 2004 Malibu's to date. I am from Canada, but it may be possible USA suppliers may ship to Canada. Any comments from anyone using the Bra cover- pros and cons?
    ldbmb
  • Options
    thanks, Pao for info on rims. I suspected tire rack might have something but was not sure.

Am curious if ONSTAR can be retro-fitted to a purchased Maxx? I briefly considered it during initial purchase but Maxxes were in short supply and none with my desired color __and__ Onstar were available.

Wrt passenger noise: I've seen the foam inserts between front fender and Unibody when front doors are open, but have not noticed any significant noise from the front passenger area.
  • Options
    madmaxxmadmaxx Member Posts: 44
    Rather than a vinyl bra that flaps in the wind and traps moisture/dirt against the paint, check out:

http://www.invinca-shield.com/main.htm
  • Options
    e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    Onstar is probably not available as a dealer retrofit. Although the location of the OnStar components makes the wiring more efficient than many other vehicles none of that wiring is actually "given away" in a vehicle that doesn't have OnStar. To add it would require pretty much require tearing apart the interior of the vehicle if someone wanted to run the wiring production intent. OnStar has most of its wiring in the instrument panel (where the module is located) but it has 2 coax cables going up the A-Pillar to get to the antenna on roof and then it has wiring in the headliner for microphone in the overhead console and the switches in the inside rear view mirror.
  • Options
    Ive used a bra on several vehicles..with the proper care and maintenance they work fine...I would remove mine once every two weeks or so..and wax the surface covered by it..or at least remove it every time I washed the vehicle and let it dry before putting it back on..also removed it every time it got wet in rain...until it dryed as well...

after a while this becomes a pain to do...and you leave it on....after a year or two you will see a noticeable difference in the paint...especially if you park the vehicle outdoors and not in a covered space...again my 2 cents worth!
  • Options
    bwolterbwolter Member Posts: 51
    I believe www.autoanything.com has the bra. I did find the plastic hood bug deflector at www. autoseattle.com. It's special order and will be here in 3 weeks.
  • Options
    Thanks e2helper for OnStar note. Guess GM will have to wait 4 - 6 years before Onstar gets another crack at me.

I am not exactly sure what the problem is with the air filter. The intake ducts are HUGE compared to the size of the exhaust (bigger than most other cars I have owned), and assuming the filter insert has enough surface area to handle modest dust buildup without restriction, I can't see what another filter can do other than perhaps be washable. Also, aren't these ducts "tuned" to work with engine intake pulses to make the air flow more efficient?
  • Options
    bdubseebdubsee Member Posts: 15
    Are there any Malibu Maxx owners in the Orlando area that have had their windows tinted? I am new to the area and I need to find a quality shop. Also, did you have any problems with your windows being scratched during tinting? I was reading some tint industry posts on tintdude.com and they called the windows on the new Malibu "soft" and POS.
  • Options
    I was thinking for rims, if you can find a set of Saab 9-3 or Pontiac G6 rims. Its probably a lot harder to find G6 rims as they are brand new cars.
    I have seen several sets of the 9-3 rims for sale on the internet. They have the 5x110 spacing and come in 17 inch.
    Tire Rack does have some rims, but I didnt like any of them.
    I am also looking at getting a set of BFG's Traction T/A's, but I am debating if I should go with the T's or perhaps an H or V. I saw the T on tire rack isnt available till March of 05!! The H and V were the same price, and offer the same milage warranty.
    Every corner I take, the more I hate these tires. I dont know if I should go with the 17's and then get new tires, or just put new tires on these rims and not worry about rims. I think that 17's might give the car too harsh of a ride.
    Also, Id like for someone who is really interested to swap out there springs for the springs and shocks found in the G6.

Also, did anyone see the SEMA Maxx? Powerd by the new 3.9 making 240hp and the body kit look good. They put a new nose on it that looks very Opel like.
  • Options
    check the sites listed in msg 73 of this forum for rims

also found another http://www.tires.com

offers more selections and styles....than tire rack

I have always been a american racing wheel fan...but they have nothing yet....I suspect the demand will grow....now with the G6 release, but will have to wait and see
  • Options
    bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    I emailed Capper Auto Center but my message bounced back.

Ended up paying $1,699 on a 60 month / 90,000 mile Major Guard warranty with $0 deductible. Did this at the same time as we bought our Maxx. Negotiated the warranty well after the price of the car, so I don't think one affected the other.

I was searching frantically for the posts about prices paid, but could not find them anywhere! Today I finally noticed they were in this 'Accessories & Mods' topic, which I haven't checked in several weeks.

So how much did I overpay vs. the best pricing out there from Capper or other dealers that discount these warranties strongly? I think the salesperson said the list price was about $2,100 and the 'GMS price' was $1,8xx. I balked at that and gave in at $1,699.
  • Options
    On several of our vehicles, we've had good success with the generic rubber floor mats available at Costco and Sam's Club. They are usually available in tan, gray, or black. Cost is $20, which I believe includes 2 large front mats and 2 smaller mats for the rear seating area. These mats have fairly deep grooves and hold a fair amount of water/slush.
  • Options
    if anyone is looking for professional mounting brackets for the Maxx or Malibu.... http://www.panavise.com/nf/main.html is the only one I have found....profit international still does have them.. https://pro-fit-intl.com ...I found a master distributor for the panavise bracket if anyone is interested....they have a picture of the install on a maxx on the site..click on cell mounts and do a vehicle search..Im adding the mount from panavise and a swivel mount to if from profit for my sons 04 4 runner.....his Xmas present
  • Options
    ericw55ericw55 Member Posts: 53
    Still no KN for 2004 Maxx. Fram makes Airhog for 2004 Maxx. I picked one up. Part #PPA7597. Seems comparable to KN, and I have yet to meet an engine that didn't like a high flow air filter.
  • Options
    here is the first one I have seen.they advertise for the 05 Maxx..wondering if it fits 04 as well

http://www.razzi.com/vehicles/chevrolet/malibumaxx_05CU_4dr_2200.- html
  • Options
    maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    nice, but I'd have to kiss my hitch goodbye, and I wouldn't be able to do my own oil changes unless I jacked the thing up (or removed the air dams each time)
  • Options
    The brands that I have found that make custom rims to fit the Maxx are Vigor, Fondmetal, TSW, and MB Design, as well as Antera....they come in sizes from 16-18 inch depending on the style and make and most come in either machine or chrome with prices ranging from 80-300 dollars a wheel, there are some others on the tirerack website as well..cheers all
  • Options
    saw your note on the tirer forum to connor at tire rack..I asked the same question a while back..here is what he gave me:

225/50ZR17 Michelin Pilot Sport AS --- 193.00

17X8 Sport Edition Fox 6 ------------------- 139.00

or

P225/55HR16 Bridgestone Potenza RE950 -- 114.00 each

16X7.5 Mille Miglia MM11-3 ------------------------ 169.00 each

of course you can look at them at the tirerack website
  • Options
    icedog97icedog97 Member Posts: 141
    We love our Maxx, but the front styling has always seemed too "pedestrian" to me.

My biggest gripes are the VERY large (chrome overload) headlights and the chrome accent strip that looks like it belongs on the Silverado!!!

Anyway, I just purchased a pair of smoke headlight accents that look like they will help with a little restyling without spending too much money!

Our Maxx is black, so I plan on leaving the accents unpainted (although they can be painted to any color you like).

Here's a link to the site:

http://www.carxccessory.com/carxccessory/2004-chevrolet-malibu-ma- xx-headlight-accents.html

I'll post some pictures after I put them on.
  • Options
    "the chrome accent strip that looks like it belongs on the Silverado!!!"

Would you believe Chevy did that on purpose?! Apparently somebody thought it was a good idea to include styling elements that somehow made Chevy cars and trucks look similar. Personally, I think this was a really dumb idea.
  • Options
    hickorydhickoryd Member Posts: 57
    Overall, I really like the looks of the Maxx. A lot of Silverado owners don't like the chrome bar either, but for them there are a ton of aftermarket products to change the appearance.

For the previous 8.5 years I drove a really dependable and great handling car, a '96 Contour. Now that vehicle had an exterior (especially the rear) that I could never come to like. So for me, the Maxx looks just great!
  • Options
    I honestly wish they would simply color match the chrome in the front and the back to either black or the color of the car...I think it would look much better...and restyle the front headlights.....
  • Options
    As more and more Maxx's hit the road, aftermarket vendors may just come up with the kind of mods you would like to see. Since I traded in my '04 Silverado for a Maxx, I guess I was used to the grille and orangish bow-tie.
  • Options
    bhw77bhw77 Member Posts: 101
    Hi,

Did anyone try to find bumper guard for MAXX?

Hence GM doesn't make them - Do you think

Protege5 guard would fit?
  • Options
    OK, I put them on and I think they make a positive difference...let me know what you think..

http://www.geocities.com/icedog_97/maxxwithhlaccentslow.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/icedog_97/maxxwithhlaccentslow2.jpg
  • Options
    firemanjackfiremanjack Member Posts: 123
    Hey icedog...nice! Might just spring for a few bucks to get a set..They just stick on, no?

The car looks great...You don't live in upstate N.Y. I can tell you that..Hehe..Thanks Jack
  • Options
    Thanks!

No, we live in Western PA and it was almost 70 today...but it will be in the teens or twenties Saturday when the Jets come to town!! ;)

The headlight accents have a lip on the bottom that fits between the headlight and the chrome bar that runs across the front of the car. Then, there are three self stick velcro circles (they are slightly raised, you might be able to see them in the image if you look closely) inside the cover.

You just peel the back off of the self stick velcro and put the cover in place. The velcro circles need some time to set (like a day) then you should be able to remove the cover and replace as needed (for a good cleaning every so often).
  • Options
    that certainly tones down the flashy chrome side of the headlamps.....I like them....now I need to find someone locally that would pain mine at a reasonable price..to color match the car...
  • Options
    An Automobile magazine reviewer wrote that the Maxx shares absolutely no sheetmetal with the Malibu. This is believable looking at the roof, sides, and rear. What about the hood?

Is there a chance that the Focus brand bug deflector for the '04 Malibu will NOT FIT a Maxx?

I feel certain that the body styling at that location is identical, even if the 2 hoods have different stampings.
  • Options
    I would say that may be a accurate statement unless e2helper cares to correct me.....the wheelbase is slightly longer..the roof design incorporates the hatch plus the two rear sunroofs, I knwo the window designs in the doors are different....had to return a set of window visors that the dealer assured me would fit either the sedan or the Maxx....well they only fit the sedan.....hatch back makes the back different...slightly different rear taillight configration..however im with you in thinking the hood may be the same..there was someone on the board early that ordered the focus bug deflector from www.autoseattle.com..looked back thru the message but couldnt find anything.... I asked the folks at protrimic that sell the same item and they couldnt answer the question..they said check with a body shop and ask if the hoods are the same!!!
  • Options
    bwolter, "Chevy Malibu Maxx" #2772, 3 Jan 2005 6:40 am

found it.....bwolter installed on his maxx
  • Options
    prdmprdm Member Posts: 145
    I thought I had read that from the B pillar forward the sedan and Maxx are identical.
  • Options
    that would make sense......Im trying to recall where I saw that as well...
  • Options
    maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    it was on the CD that came with the Maxx's brochure; the same video that was on the website when the car was being developed
  • Options
    firemanjackfiremanjack Member Posts: 123
    Okay icedog, I ordered them..Hehe..I was out looking at the front of the car in the driveway with the photos you sent in my mind, and decided I had to do it...Jack
  • Options
    ssmaxxssmaxx Member Posts: 13
    hi guys sorry haven't been around for a while getting a 2004 maxx hit in rear . freinds okay but in hos i recommended him the maxx no mods on his unlike me
This discussion has been closed.