Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Countryman S cold weather start

dhr48864dhr48864 Member Posts: 19
edited January 2016 in MINI
My Mini Countryman did not start this morning at 10 degrees F in the garage. I had just parked it 12 hours before. Has anyone had cold weather start issues with their Mini (any model)?

Best Answer

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Answer ✓
    Cold weather decreases battery efficiency in a big way; so if you have an old battery, very cold weather, and cold, thick motor oil from sitting half the day, it's very possible you won't have enough power to spin the engine fast enough. You might also consider getting a maintenance charger for the battery or an engine heater. Some people even leave a light bulb on under the car, or cover the hood with a blanket to retain engine heat.

Answers

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Original battery? How often/far do you typically drive it?

If the battery is marginal, the cold could be enough to keep the car from starting. You can get it load tested for free at lots of auto parts stores.
  • dhr48864dhr48864 Member Posts: 19
    thanks Mr_Shiftright and stever! It is the original battery and will have it tested!
  • dhr48864dhr48864 Member Posts: 19
    by the way, how much should I expect to pay for a new battery and any suggestions which one to buy if I don't go to a mini dealer?
  • willard53willard53 Member Posts: 2
    2011 Mini Countryman All4 S
    has anyone else had a problem with the seat sensors that throw a seatbelt/airbag warning message? how have you fixed it or have you had a dealer replace the sensors? how much is too much to pay?