Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Tacoma 2005+

Comments

• Options
    chileheadchilehead Member Posts: 41
    For now, to prevent further damage, my local body man suggested adding another sheet of clear protector (3m - expensive) on the worst spot. (The panel in front of the rear wheel, in my case.)

I'm going to see if the dealer will add this.

Antenna: [geogecko] Yes, ours hits the garage door every time we pull in. I think all of the 4x4's and Prerunners would be high enough to have this problem. Ours hits a metal rib on the door, so I added a couple layers of the handyman's secret weapon (duct tape) to the door so that the antenna would not get damaged. The tape is the same color as the rib so it doesn't stand out. It's more quiet, too!
  • Options
    pekosrobpekosrob Member Posts: 25
    I was wondering the same thing. The dash looks GREAT but I don't want to ruin it if I put in an Alpine Deck (9835) since I can't stand listening to one CD at a time. Why couldn't Toyota put a CD player that reads mp3s? Anyways, please e-mail me if you find anything out. my address is paek@rice.edu Thanks~!
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    What is the height of your garage doors? Standard 7', or are they 8'?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    evsevs Member Posts: 6
    geogecko, I have the Uniden Pro model 510XL CB. It's real small and fits under stearing column to the right just below the open compartment. Have same cb in my wifes car for over a year and still works great.... Check out walcot cb on the web. Evs
  • Options
    evsevs Member Posts: 6
    dalejr, I have side airbags and daytime running lights. The lights are actually the parking lights not the headlights. Got my truck Dec. 22 no problems since. I also have vehical skid ctrl. I put 45k miles per year my as well be safe than sorry....... Evs
  • Options
    dalejr8dei1dalejr8dei1 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that it would be the parking lights that are on all the time. Can't wait for my Taco to get here.
  • Options
    chuck999chuck999 Member Posts: 38
    "You can get the sunroof even though it's not a factory option. I really like it. There a small drawback, the sunglass holder is removed. They use the sunroof out of the Seinna. "

Thanks for info:

1. If you don't mind, how much did it cost?

2. Is it quiet - i.e. any rattles, wind noise?

Thanks!
  • Options
    j1s15nj1s15n Member Posts: 2
    I have a amplifier and an infinity bass subwoofer w/amplifier that I have for sale. I had the installed in my 2001 acees cab tacoma. now I have the 2005, so I don't want to install anything in it just yet. Let me know if you want it..Gactroop07@yahoo.com
  • Options
    geogeckogeogecko Member Posts: 225
    Ah. They are 7' in height, however, our garage floor has a 2" step in it, so once I hit that step, my garage door height is only 6'10", which happens to be when the antenna hits the door. Maybe I need to let most of the air out of my tires when I go into the garage at night, the air them back up when I go to work...huh? =)

Thanks for the information about the CB. Did you find a better place to mount the antenna to reduce wind noise?

I wonder if they make shorter radio antennas that I could just replace the standard Toyota one with. I know it just screws out.

Mileage report: Mostly city driving, but about 70% of my daily commute is highway. I got just a pinch over 19MPG. I don't know what octane rating the gas that was in it was, but I suspect 87. I put some 93 in, and we'll see how that works out.

If you don't want pen stripes on your truck, then I suggest you ask the dealer if it's typical that they put them on. I'm taking mine off right now, and it's been a slow and tedious process. So far, I've got all of them off the bed, now I've got the doors and front fenders to work on...
  • Options
    carglowcarglow Member Posts: 91
    Are all regular cab Tacomas assemble in Mexico?

Should I be concerned about build quality?
  • Options
    srandytsrandyt Member Posts: 35
    Newer 4-tire rotation patterns are typically rear to same side front and front to opposing rear. If you always pull the right rear for the spare and put the spare on the right front, you will keep the rear to front same side intact. Going rear to front is when the tire cord rotation direction is important. But, I am with you, unless your spare is on an identical wheel, let it hang.
  • Options
    offroader3offroader3 Member Posts: 37
    I would like to know how many quarts of oil with filter change in my 2005 Double Cab Tacoma 4x4 V6.It doesn't say clearly in the manual,they use codes which is hard,kind like 2FE or something like that not sure,thanks...
  • Options
    chileheadchilehead Member Posts: 41
    Ours is just a standard 7'. An 8 footer would give more than enough clearance. All of our other vehicles had telescoping antennas, so this was not a problem before.

[geogecko] I'm not sure how the end of the antenna (finial) is attached. If that could be removed, you could just clip a bit off the end of the antenna, then epoxy the finial back on. If you are going to buy another one anyway, what have you got to lose?
  • Options
    jsandjsand Member Posts: 19
    I just found a BIG chip on my black 05 Taco. It's in front of the back wheel. That really stinks. I'm taking it back to the dealer and see what they can do.
  • Options
    engineerbooengineerboo Member Posts: 45
    Offroader3: Yea, the book can be confusing.

The 2TR-FE engine is the 4-banger and the 1GR-FE is the V-6 engine. (Why such stupid names, Toyota??)

Anyway, for 1GR with oil filter change, it says add 5.5 quarts.

(If it's your first oil change, I'd add a quart less than what it says, run the engine for 30 seconds, wait a couple minutes, and recheck the dipstick....much easier to add than take out and it's actually better to be a little low than a little high, too much can break an engine seal.)

Good luck!

Rick "Boo"
  • Options
    vmimanvmiman Member Posts: 80
    Wonder if Edmunds could put a picture of an 05 TACO on the top of this forum instead of a Corvette?????
  • Options
    thumper2thumper2 Member Posts: 1
    Just wanted to chime in on this too- I'm having this same suspension rattling/knocking as well. I have '05 4-cyl, Access cab, 4x4, 5-spd, std suspension. Some things I've perceived about this noise-

- coming from rear passenger-side (how far rear hard to tell)

- definitely more noticeable in cold (below freezing). seems non-existant when temps warm up

- also even when cold, is more noticeable when first driving vehicle and seems to mellow out after a bit of time on the road

- did not notice it when it was cold and I had a full load of firewood in back

Other than this annoying rattle, I do enjoy the truck and everything else seems to be of high-quality. I plan to have the dealer look at this rattle when I take it in for the first oil change.
  • Options
    leob1leob1 Member Posts: 153
    On the 2005 Tacoma check the end of the bed rail cap behind the cab...mine is a little loose...if you knock on it it rattles a little. Also, that piece under the headlight rattles a little as well. Maybe we should try sliding something underneath?
  • Options
    Haha.... yeah... that'd certainly be an extreme way to resolve the antenna problem, Geo! I was only asking for my own reference. My doors are 7'6" (they were supposed to be 8' but ran into an engineering snafu when building). I think my solution would be to take a pair of pliers to them and create a "custom angle" on the antenna, but then I've never found anything sacred about a new car. ;-D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Maybe replacing the antenna with a shorter one would be a good idea...why not?
  • Options
    Yes, it is a good idea, but it is also added cost. My "3E" priorities are: effective, easy, economical.
  • Options
    az comaaz coma Member Posts: 19
    you can hear it when accelerating. It's a sputtering sound and localized to the passenger side exhaust manifold. Once at normal temperature, its much less. The thermal expansion when hot seems to seal it up.
  • Options
    "sputtering" sound and it goes away when hot...that sounds like an exhaust leak..a small one since it goes away when hot..it might be a bad weld, a bad gasket or maybe a leak at the exhaust manifold gasket right at the engine.
  • Options
    chi11chi11 Member Posts: 3
    My dealer fixed the water leak problem. It took them one day. They also ordered new carpet(to be replaced later) b/c of the "locker room" smell from the mildew. According to them, my leak was at a seam on the fire wall beneath the windshield which was accessible by removing the front left quarter panel.
  • Options
    3tacoma3tacoma Member Posts: 15
    I am very disapointed in what I am reading about the 05 Tacoma. Leaking, paint chips, engine noise, loose this and that, bed cracking, glove box swirl, cup holder scraching, and a price that is so high that we can buy a F250 Super Crew Diesel FX4 for close to the same price. Come on people, I was in the market for an 05 Tacoma since I have owned a Toyota P/U for the past 11 years, but enough is enough. Toyota quality has gone down the tube with this one. Do you really think resale is going to be high on an 05 with all of these problems. Believe me, I am a die hard Toyota man, owning 3 trucks with combined miles of 400,000+ miles, and I am sorry to say that the 05 Tacoma is Pathetic.

Sorry to insult any 05 owners, but it looks like your truck is the guinea pig for "The New Tacoma"
  • Options
    offroader3offroader3 Member Posts: 37
    Thanks for the information Mr. Boo,this is very lame,why would Toyota put names like that which in fact it's simpler to use 4 and 6 cylinder respectively...I think I did 5.5 quarts and it was fine.I used Mobil 1 pure synthetic 5W30 and it is awesome and very smooth...
  • Options
    gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    I tend to agree. I too am a loyal Toyota customer. My wife and I have driven a 91 Toy truck and 87 corolla since they were new, but what I'm hearing about the 05 makes want to back off and seriously consider the Honda Ridgline in March. .....and I'd take my chances with the 05 rather than the Ford anyday.

A leaky cab? This seems inexcusable. They can't even put together a water tight compartment. what about the rest of the truck? It's very discouraging to hear about a truck I was once very enthusiastic about buying. (sigh)
  • Options
    88toylc88toylc Member Posts: 53
    My 2005 Tacoma is my fifth Toyota and it may be my last. Not only does the truck have several of the problems documented on this and other forums, but the response to these problems by my dealer's service center and by Toyota has been pitiful. I was warned not to buy the first year of a newly redesigned vehicle, but I didn't listen and jumped at the chance to buy the first one on the dealer's lot. Of course I can't do anything about my latest purchase without taking a significant financial hit, but I've learned a lesson about Toyota (appears to be coasting on its past reputation) and about buying first year models that will guide my future vehicle purchases.
  • Options
    dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    Expectations are set pretty high for Toyota vehicles so when they are not perfect in every way it is upsetting. Have you tried talking to the dealership(sales not service) or calling the 800 number to get the dealership to address your problems?
  • Options
    ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    You're so right. After all these years of hitting home runs, Toyota disappointed me, too. I really wanted badly to have a a pickup this time, after 3 years with a Honda CR-V. I've been looking at, reading about, and test-driving '05 Tacomas since October, and finally realized I couldn't live with these issues. So I bought a 2002 Highlander to tide me over until the '06's come out. It's solid so far. Come fall, I'll see if Toyota steps up and addresses these things, and maybe make a trade then.

It is sad when the a manufacturer with the resources of Toyota can stumble so badly. I think they were trying so hard to get Truck of the Year that they took their eye off the ball.
  • Options
    palominopalomino Member Posts: 21
    it's a truck. it's not a car. most of you act like you drive a bar of platinum with an undercarriage.

it's a great truck. i love it. does it have some minor things that could be done better? absolutely. go buy a Nissan, Ford, Dodge, Chevy, Hummer...whatever. 2005 Toyotas will be flying down the road long after all of the above mentioned have been recycled into the beer can that you have a firm grip on.

my truck is fine. does everything i want it to do. does it make a sound? yes. it makes some noise.

but overall it's everything i'd waited for. i agree that the leak issue is a big one and i'm sure it'll be addressed appropriately.

i'll keep rolling down the road with my beloved Tacoma. enjoy your Ridgeline (ugliest thing to roll since Pontiac Aztek).

guess i need to go on some ford and nissan boards and bash these guys so i can feel supreme as all of you do.

enough is enough.
  • Options
    No need to take it personally - we're disappointed in Toyota's execution in making a truck. Period. If you like yours, that's great. These are all opinions; everyone's entitled to theirs, and to write 'em down. The fact that it's a truck, and not a car, is completely beside the point.

But here's a fact - I bought a 1996 Nissan Maxima brand new. Drove it for almost seven years, racking up 130,000 miles. Never had a single thing go wrong with it. My expectation level is pretty high, but not impossible. Another Nissan I've owned - a 1993 Pickup, 2.4L, 5-speed manual basic transportation. Same reliability. No problems. Now, a brand-new truck design by a top manufacturer, to have a propensity to have leaky windshields, for example, is no small thing. All by itself, not a killer. But added to the other issues, it spirals down to the level of being pathetic. You got yourself something you like, so enjoy.
  • Options
    geogeckogeogecko Member Posts: 225
    I also think there is a lot of over reacting going on here as well (glove box, cup holder).

However, there are some serious problems (paint chipping, leaking). I think these seem to be limited to only a handful of people though.

I've got 600+ miles now, and it was raining pretty bad here today. I recently checked under the floor mat, and it was dry as a bone. I have not noticed any paint chipping yet, but have a set of running boards on the way.

I think people have very high expectations for Toyota, and especially a redesigned model. However, most people that have flamed the Taco have mentioned going with Nissan, Ford, etc. I highly doubt these vehicles compare (and have not had their OWN problems) to the new Tacoma. While Ford has gotten better over the last few years, I still believe their quality standards are not up to the Japan auto makers. Take a ride in an upscale sedan of Ford and then say, Acura or Honda, and tell me which one you think leaves a higher quality feel. There are decent American vehicles out there, but I find it hard to believe that they will outlast a Honda or Toyota.

I was one that was also waiting for the Ridgeline. Then, when I saw some of the more recent (real) pictures of it, I was like, what were they thinking? It looks like a cross between the El Camino and one of those jacked up AMC cars. Yeah, it's got what it needs, a nice, powerful V6, and some nice storage, but I think they could have made it look a little better. I don't know why Chevy and Honda think that slanted down area between the top of the cab and bed needs to be just that, slanted. Why not cut it off like Ford (SportTrak) and Toyota, etc.

This has been a long enough ramble. Bottom line, it's a truck, it's not perfect, but neither are any of you, and people still like you.

I wouldn't trade my Taco back in for anything else, at least not right now.
  • Options
    palominopalomino Member Posts: 21
    you can keep your Nissan. i just got out of a 2002 Maxima purchased new and will likely never buy another Nissan. this was my 3rd and likely my last. the French have really added their touch to Nissans. the Toyota is a gem compared to the Nissan's ho-hum quality control.

i like the Toyota. maybe you can buy my Nissan off of the used car lot. better get the extra warranty though!
  • Options
    halconhalcon Member Posts: 5
    Go buy the nissan frontier then....and enjoy....
  • Options
    gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    I think maybey people on the internet that read truck forums and post may be more anal than other people that don't. So I discount issues like ticking in engine, glove box deformity, cub holder chipping. There are some things I can't let go like paint chipping, suspension knock. You also have to keep in mind possible fraudulent posts for what ever reason people want to run down a product, but if just a few on this forum have had these problems, I'm thinking many people are having them. I'd feel better if Toyota would at least acknowledge them and issue a TSB so we can move on. I feel stupid going to my Toy dealer and asking for a garden hose to run down the wind shield to check for leaks.

Yep, the Ridgeline has some asthetic issues. I'm trying to correct them by looking at different rim styles, and buying it in black. It still may be futile. Honda has truly designed a innovative vehicle that the competition will have to acknowledge in their upcoming designs.
  • Options
    az comaaz coma Member Posts: 19
    so the exhaust manifold wasn't leaking according to the dealer. The cab mount rattle went away (it's been raining for the past two days). I think water got between the cab mount and frame and provided some lubrication. Once it all drys out, I'm pretty sure it'll come back. the dealer had no problem ordering a new glove box to replace the "swirl" one.
  • Options
    philg87philg87 Member Posts: 74
    I to am looking for a truck but we must understand the Ridgeline is a truck with no history so with all this going on i will have to wait until 2006 to see if they fix these problems and see if the Ridgeline has any? I have gone into toyota dealers talking about those problems and they look at me like I'm crazy like what problem we never heard of those problems before.
  • Options
    larry10larry10 Member Posts: 88
    All I know is i installed my black running boards today...took 30 minutes and looks great! And yes, my wife says it is much easier to get in now.
  • Options
    nickt1nickt1 Member Posts: 32
    I bought my 05 Tacoma in December and I'm extremely disappointed in the quality of it. It has the cab mount bolt noise, the paint chipping problem, and a shuddering/vibrating problem too. I bought an 04 Dakota nine months earlier, and was in the shop with it every single month. I couldn't wait to get rid of it. Well, the Tacoma has been in the shop almost every single week since I bought it, but so far nothing is fixed on it. It has been the absolute worst new vehicle experience I've ever had. I expected that there would be some minor bugs with a new vehicle design, but what I didn't expect was that Toyota would be so slow to fix these bugs. Unfortunately, I took a huge financial hit trading the Dodge in so quickly. I can't afford to do that again so I'm stuck with the Tacoma. I'm just hoping that once the problems are finally fixed, there aren't any new ones to come. It really is a great truck, and these problems should be minor and easily fixable. The problem is Toyota, dragging its heels on acknowledging these problems and getting TSB's out quickly. I don't know how I'll feel after a few years in the Tacoma, but as for right now, I wouldn't buy a Toyota vehicle again.
  • Options
    what color is your truck nickt1? Is it a 4 by 4...prerunner...just curious Tks
  • Options
    Sounds like you are on the right track. I am about the most anal person around with my rigs. I haven't noticed anything unusual yet on my PreRunner TRD. Well, there was a slight noise for a little while, while idling, but I haven't heard it since. There is such a thing as breaking a vehicle in you know.

I am not disappointed in the truck at all, just with the dealer sales department. I guess I feel it could have been a better deal in hindsight.
  • Options
    Yeah i paid 1,500 over invoice 12-14-2005 and they acted like it was a give away! I love the truck so far. (2000 miles on it)
  • Options
    jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    For the longest time since ford came out with the sport trac 5 or 6 yrs ago time I had been very interested in a practical vehicle like it, I waited this long I went by a couple of dealers nissan and dodge. The out side of the Nissan, liked very much but the car was a lil too busy with the plastic materials inside it look a lil cheap. The Dodge I was disappointed not as good looking. I bought my silver 4d a/t trd sport 4x2 waited 7 days got it today well the taco is so much car (coming from a 02 civic 2doors coupe) I really like the way the car moves and drives the inside and outside look very well put together . It is too early to see if I have any of these inconveniences presented here by other owners, but I am sure that if toyota work hard they can fix this and this taco will be a car too have for the next ten yrs. by the way I looked at my taco in the my driveway and it look hot. While I was doing the paper work they offered me the paint protecting option they told me that since summer 2002 they stop putting clear coat on their car and that this process will warrantee me that the car will remain shiny for a very long time(I think she said ten yrs plus) and that it will be as smooth too, also it will never had to be waxed/polished. an input? I did not buy it, I do my own waxing (maguired).
  • Options
    canadiantacocanadiantaco Member Posts: 24
    Compare a tacoma with any truck? chevy colorado? it kills it .shouldnt be mentioned in same sentence.. dodge dakota? the dodges are so ugly my 90 year old grandma wont drive in it kuz it makes her unkool.. plus it drives like a beast compared to the tacomas car like handling... no other trucks r worth mentioning besides a nissan frontier? toyotas only contender.. and a weak contender at best..... sit in a frontier it feels like your sitting in a way older truck.. the dash is dated and the seats arent as comfy and the ride isnt comparable.. sure engine power is very close... try turning in one... theirs a reason toyota outsells nissan in i think almost every category... the frontiers are also semi over the top and 50% of people hate em and 50% of people think theyr comparable to a tacoma looks wise ... ... the tacomas have had problems.. but any major one will be fixed .. for free...(in time, unforuneatly)

look at all other toyota models they are all known for their reliability.... paint and water leaks can be fixed... will be for free in time.. but will your nissan be fixed for free in ten years when the engine sounds like a freight train and breaks down 3 times a year.... NOPE.... will the guys who have TOYOTA engines be laughing... think, you once thought a water leak was a big thing but now your spendin 3 gs a yeer to keep ure 10 thousand dollar truck road worthy....

sit in a toyota and youll feal great comfort.. look at a toyota and youl see prestige.... drive a tacoma and you will see a truck that drives like a car.... put 350 000 miles on a tacoma and you will find out the real reason why people buy toyotas...

water leaks and paint chips suck ... but a company like toyota will help out eventually ... they dont want to tarnish their image... the real reason you buy a toyota is because its a toyota.. ride looks and reliability all top of the line... dont call a tacoma pathetic... we will be laffin at ure girly men truck in 5 years... yup the tacoma isnt pathetic... its the truck of the year...
  • Options
    I Like you canadiantaco, keep up the good work!
  • Options
    I doubt that Motor Trend would have given the Tacoma the Truck of the Year if the trucks Toyota GAVE them to test had shown the problems that the BUYERS have gotten. You can bet that those few trucks they gave to the press got a thorough going-over prior to dropping them off to MT.

It hasn't been the proudest product launch for Toyota, and I'm sure they're working on the issues. I drive a Toyota Highlander now, and I'm happy with it. But I do think it's one thing to set out to win awards from the automotive press - it's another, much harder thing to deliver the goods to thousands of customers, and make them satisfied. I'd rather have a better-built truck that had not won anything. I'm glad I didn't buy one this year, but might next time.
  • Options
    bizbiz Member Posts: 1
    Well said. I've had my Indigo Ink 4x4 Access cab TRD Sport since 12-31 and haven't had any of the paint chip, water leak, or noise issues. I live in the Philadelphia area and have dealt with the snow and salt covered roads and some heavy rains. I have the 1 inch glovebox swirl but that doesn't qualify as a problem to me. Honestly, I wouldn't of noticed it if pics were not posted on this board. If any issues do arise, I fully expect Toyota to stand by their product and fix them.
  • Options
    wes240wes240 Member Posts: 33
    gearhead1 - I'm with you. I love my Tacoma. I have 3200 miles on mine and have no leaks, knocks or paint chipping. I have a silver DC with the off-road package. I usually just read everybody's posts here but hardly post myself. I also have the glovebox thing but do not consider that a problem.

Only problem I have that I'm going to address with the dealer is my Tacoma does not know that my driver door is opened. This is somewhat annoying since my doors will relock before I get the truck started and the dome lights do not come on. I typically leave for work before dawn, so it becomes a bit hard to find my cupholder to put my coffee in. I also have to remember to shut off my headlights which I'm not in the habit of doing since my previous car had the automatic shutoff. I never posted this because I've yet to read anybody else have this problem either on this board or the tundrasolutions board. It's a fluky problem that I expect the dealer will easily fix.

It's sorry to hear that the Tacoma is disappointing some folks out there. It does have a huge name to live up to. Three of my very close friends drive (not new) Tacomas and each one of them say they would never buy any other mid-sized truck. That is what convinced me to buy mine. Time will tell if mine holds up as good as theirs. So far, so good.
  • Options
    steelerstacosteelerstaco Member Posts: 6
    THANK YOU!!!

I have had my Tacoma (05 DCab 4X4 with V6) since November and have had no problems (no leaks,rattles or chipping). This is a very well built truck and a pleasure to drive both on and offroad. I have logged over 9000 miles on it and have no complaints (on and offroad). This is my first Toyota. In the past I have owned mainly Fords and was somewhat skeptical about the purchase. I'm glad I bought it! I hope all the complaining on this forum doesn't influence people to not purchase this truck. If you've done your research this is probably one of the best vehicles out there for the money.

All vehicles have minor problem in the first year of production, common sense would tell you the more you that as time goes by the product will improve due to consumer feed back and technology advances. Toyota has a great history of well built vehicles and I believe they have continued with this truck. So they have a couple of Kinks, they will get worked out. They know how, they have been building trucks for years. As far as considering the purchase of a Honda (truck), I am willing to bet that you will encounter alot more problems with it. Not only is it a first year product but it is their first truck. History in the industry shows that this will yield many more difficulties, not just in manufacturing but with service as well. I am not saying Honda won't put out a quality product just stating facts.

Sorry, just tired of the whining!