Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma 2005+

Comments

• engineerbooengineerboo Member Posts: 45
    Nick1: Congrats on the new Taco!

I sure hope you're right about the fix...mine was built in mid-December (a build date should be on a sticker in your driver's side door jam).

I've had no problems but watching it very carefully. (It's over 1,000 miles so broken in and I had it up to 90 mph the other day and it felt the same as 45...smooth!)

Boo
  • gnitsgnits Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the clarification. I've been feeling under the carpet at the firewall and so far it's good. Overall, we're really happy with it. But... a little stupid constantly checking if it's gonna leak.

I'm just waiting for the Pop & Lock to get in and Undercover finalize the bed cover. The waiting continues...
  • pete104pete104 Member Posts: 4
    I just bought an 05 Tacoma 4x4 yesterday and the dealer is talking to me about "Electronic Corrosion Control" Anybody out there know whether these things really work.

Thanks
  • leob1leob1 Member Posts: 153
    I am so sorry to be posting this, but people need to know. I thought my drivers side carpet had dried out, because the carpet was dry. However, I pressed hard on the carpet and my hand got wet. I cannot smell mildew, but I assume by Monday evening it may have had a good chance to start. The padding underneath the carpet is soaked and I am pretty angry. To find the leak, they will need to remove all the carpet and padding and see where it's coming from.

So everyone, be aware that you cannot tell if you have a leak unless you push down hard on the carpet...don't just gently wipe your hand across.
  • chiefman1chiefman1 Member Posts: 22
    I too am feeling alittle stupid checking for wet carpet but I have not tried to get to the padding. Have DC OffRoad built 01/05 in Fremont.
    But it seems if the leak is at the windshield cowling then you could see evidence of water coming down the inside of the firewall as I don't see how water could get from the windshield to the inside of the floorboard if it did not run down the inside of the firewall? Is this correct?
    Seems the people who actually have the wet carpet have discussed heavy rain so I am not sure if you can duplicate the conditions with a garden hose as I have tried. I am in Colorado and if my padding is wet it is likely frozen (or close).
    Well my truck has been garaged for the last month and I have not driven in any heavy rain. It definitely came from the carwash and must have come down the inside of the firewall. The dampest area is the very center of the floorboard. I get water on my hand after pressing it there pretty firmly.

The passenger side has not been affected. A difference I noted was there is a wiper blade arm anchored directly in front and above the driverside floorboard, while the passenger side wiper arm is anchored in the middle. Makes me wonder if that wiper arm goes into front firewall.

We will find out the cause of this. Obviously the water is coming in from somewhere up top.
  • sbsyncrosbsyncro Member Posts: 66
    Boy, have I had a hard time finding double cabs around here in my home town! I'm still trying to decide between the Tundra DBL cab and the Tacoma DBL cab (I really like the ride of the Tundra, but the Tacoma is so much more sporty and seems more versatile). I notice the price on CarsDirect.com is the same as the MSRP, and when a dealer around here gets one, they are usually gone within a day or two. This leads me to believe that I should be prepared to just pay list price (ugh!)

Also, any advice about the Tundra vs Tacoma question would be helpful - We are a family of four, and I plan to keep the truck for at least five to ten years (by that time my kids will be in high school).

I'm pretty settled on the 4X4 TRD model (but not the Limited for the Tundra)
  • jnp1jnp1 Member Posts: 3
    Any one know how to use the locking rear diff. on the 05' taco...trd off road? I push the button while stopped and the light coninually blinks... Been to the dealer they stated truck must be in 4 lo and really stuck (one rear wheel off ground and other not spinning). I also called toyota directly and they stated to be in 4 lo but nothing about being off camber in a rut...like the dealer. I have tried all combinations and no locking going on. Any help would be appreciated.
  • arcpassarcpass Member Posts: 53
    Leob1: could you tell us either when your truck was built or the last 5 VIN numbers. Other posts by previous owners have suggested that the trucks being made now don't have the leak problem. I'm very concerned because I gave a deposit yesterday for a new Tacoma.
  • hereinmycarhereinmycar Member Posts: 2
    We just bought the same truck in Silver Mica. Which Stant locking fuel cap did you get? It's too new to be in the book and the guy at PepBoys looked in the computer and said there was no direct fit yet. Thanks and here's to 40 mpg! In my Corolla! ;-)
    It was built in 10/04 California, hope that helps you.
    Hey,

The front window or windshield was leaking? I have one of the first 05 Tacoma's to come off the line and just noticed the problem. Any info would be appreciated and I will relay it to service next week.

Thanks
  • arcpassarcpass Member Posts: 53
    Thanks, Loeb1. I'm hoping that the Tacoma I will be getting won't have the leakage problem. I know that a lot of people are saying that first year models should be avoided, but I bought the first year of Toyota's mini-pickup 4x4 in 1979, the first year of the new design in 1985, the first year of the new design in 1989 and the first year T-100 in 1993. None of these Toyota new models had any problems. The motor in the T-100 did have a recall on the head gaskets, but that wasn't for a few years. I didn't have any problem with it, but had the work done anyway because it was free & recommended.
  • toytrucktoytruck Member Posts: 67
    It's a scam. Go to FTC.gov and do a search on it.
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Member Posts: 301
    Wow it's amazing how the dealer can tell you something that dumb!...the truck must be in 4-low to activate the locker.Sometimes you will have to move the truck to help it engage as there is a coupler that connects the axles together as one thus creating a locked axle.If the light is flashing,it is not engaged.Try moving the truck back and fourth to get it to stop flashing.I'm guessing that its's kinda tight right now as it is new and needs time to loosen up.
  • gr8blue1gr8blue1 Member Posts: 33
    Sorry I don't remember the part number (my fading memory says 511016 or something).

I tried the one that looked similar in dimensions and locking groove (angled-D shape). Open the fuel cap and take a look.

I got it from PepBoys in Nov. It wasn't shown as a fit for the Tacoma but losing $10 on a gas cap is better vs engine damage to a $27K truck from vandalism.
  • larry10larry10 Member Posts: 88
    So all these guys i see driving down the Freeway with their tail gate down...errrr...I wouldn't want to be the one to break the news to them! Heck no need to burst their balloon, let them drive along confident they are saving fuel as they smirk at those of us with our tail gate up.
    I co-worker(ex mechanic) told me once that running with a tailgate down can increase the chances of cracking the bedwalls. Both sides of the bed flex easier with that important piece missing. I started using my tailgate again.
  • cs1992cs1992 Member Posts: 17
    I am seriously considering an '05 Crew Cab but need enough room to place a child seat in the rear. Is there enough space in the 4-dr crew cab for an child seat without having to push the front passenger seat all the way forward?
  • az comaaz coma Member Posts: 19
    Got my "popping" sound resolved. Dealer pulled both body cab mounts off located right behind the two front tires and placed some type of foam insulation between the cab and the cab mounts. Then, they reinstalled the cab mounts. It's completely quiet now. Oh, they also replaced the swirl'd glove box.
  • hammaahammaa Member Posts: 79
    cs1992 - Yes, absolutely. I got my double cab about 3-weeks ago, and that first day I took a drive with my family of five (including me and 2-car seats) from San Diego to Ventura County. Comfy drive. Not as much room inside as our 7-passenger Odyssey (obviousy), but that doesn't have a 6-foot bed, either. I'm 6'0", and had a car seat behind me, and I kept my seat where I always do, which is almost all the way back. Get it, my friend, best truck on the road hands down!
    Hi - I got my double cab long bed TRD sport about 3-weeks ago, and just put my 5th fill-up into it. I'm in sales, and so do alot of freeway driving (probably 70-80%). The first 3-tanks with 87-octane got me just over 16 mpg. I put 91-octane into the 4th tank and got 17.5 mpg. Still far short of the 18/22 suggested mpg on the sticker. Is that mpg just for the smaller, lighter 05 tacos? Anyone else out there have #'s to share? I'd love to hear it. Thanks.
  • az comaaz coma Member Posts: 19
    I've had mine since November. White double cab TRD 4x4 sport with 6 speed. I've run 87 and 89 octane and have taken it on one road trip. I ave. 17.3 mpg. combination of freeway and street driving.
    We went through the same decision process as to the Tundra vs Tacoma and decided to go with the Tacoma based on gas mileage, size of Tundra-too big and long for us, a new model Tundra is coming out in the near future which will likely depress the value of the current Tundra, we like the looks of the Tacoma over the Tundra. We got a 2005 Tacoma DC OffRoad package , side air bags, VIP security for 5% off MSRP.
    Mine was built in 01/05 and I can not get it to leak with water pressure on windshield with a garden hose. Does anyone have a leak on a 2005 the was built after Jan 1, 2005?
  • nickt1nickt1 Member Posts: 32
    az coma: Do you know if your dealer invented this fix on its own or if Toyota authorized them to do this? I've tried to get my dealer to do something like this, maybe sticking a rubber washer in between the cab and the mounts, but they tell me that they can't do anything to change Toyota's design unless Toyota authorizes it, for liability purposes. So I'm wondering if this foam insulation will turn out to be Toyota's authorized fix for the problem.
  • bacolodbacolod Member Posts: 24
    Hobo:
    I also bought a 05 Tacoma trd sport dc long bed. I did order original tube step for my tacoma which is :
    PTS09-35052 for long bed dc
    Check if you had PTS09-35053 for short bed dc. that would make an inch different.
    I did not get my tube step yet but do check if you got the right part number for your lb dc Tacoma.
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    Sorry,eco,but no. I can give you my best guess, and that is: back AND side windows open would be the best set-up. Only a guess. I wish I had a camper with which to experiment.
  • brew62brew62 Member Posts: 3
    I currently own a "Raceway Blue" 05 Tacoma I purchased in Cali. I have a V6 Pre-Runner Access cab. Driving this truck for about a month now and I dont see a need for a V8, for that just get a Tundra. The 4.0 pulls like a mother across rpm range and Passing is a breeze and I get looks as if I'm in a convertible.
    I took a Chevy Colorado for a test drive and the plastic and the squeaks drove me nuts (Toyotas plastic looks pleasing to the eye). I was in the Chevy for about 15 mins. and I could not get out fast enough. I'm just about ready for my first oil change already. I put miles on this Taco and I don't need my back re-adjusted like most other trucks.
    Toyota smacked it out of the park with this one!
  • hobohobo Member Posts: 27
    Bacolod,

I have the long bed and the tube steps were for the long bed. The step brackets were in the exact correct position, but when installing it, the middle bracket is was about 1 inch away from the holes, so we had to push the step towards the holes so the bolts would thread. From what I could tell, the step was bent a bit in the middle, making the center bracket bow out a bit.

P.S. I actually don't think the DC SB and LB are any different forward of the bed -- right? Anyway, let me know if you experience the same problem when you install yours. Other than the driver side problem, they went on no problem.
    Does anybody have any pics they can post of the running boards? I'm especially interested in dc lb. Thanks.

Also, has anyone tried to add larger tires to the DC LB TRD yet? I'm trying, but there appears to be some thing-a-madoodle (Perhaps you can tell I'm not a mechanic?) about 1/2 inch off the inside of my tire. According to 2-places I've gone to, they say "no way" to adding larger/wider off-road tires w/out a lift kit. Any one have similiar experiences to share? Thx.
  • nu_to_taconu_to_taco Member Posts: 2
    Is this noise normal? I have a wav file at the site shown below that can be downloaded. This is for a 2005 Tacoma PreRunner V6 Automatic. The wind noise in the recording can be reduced by turning down the bass. Here is the URL where you can find the file to download and listen to ---
    http://homepage.mac.com/shubin/FileSharing16.html.
    Any help would be much appreciated!!!!
    Thanks,
    nu_to_taco
  • bjw1bjw1 Member Posts: 152
    I just got back from a road trip and got 21mpg during the trip and 19 in city when i filed up before leaving, ride was nice and comfy, usaully after 2 hours I have to stop and stretch, not anymore because the 05 tacos(for me at least) are as comfy as a high end vehicle with thought the high end price, well just thought I would share me experience with you all.
  • coldfootcoldfoot Member Posts: 49
    Im getting in touch with Toyota tomorrow and telling them either replace truck or refund money. They are wanting to go through arbitration but a friend told me this is just another way to screw you out of something. I asked Toyota to send a complete heater box assembly. They say they cant do that. They are telling dealership same thing. Its pathetic to have one small part broken and cant get it fixed.
    Good luck on that they will try and have it their way and not yours, you might try seeking advice from an attorney because they will try anything but just simply fix the darn problem, that is what fustrates most people(especially me) when they turn a simple thing into a huge deal, this should be no problem to them, but thought i would give some words of encougement.
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    Yeah, good luck with it. They can't give it back till it's fixed. If they keep it for 30 days it should fall under the lemon laws and you would get your refund. I would think they would send the whole heating unit to avoid that. Check with your District attorney about the lemon laws in your state. Good luck. I expected more from Toyota. Tell their PR department that thousands of people are reading of your experience on the internet and you'd love to tell them how promptly Toyota resolved the problem. Sometimes the PR department can have some pull when things affect Toyotas rep.

Call your local news channels and see if they would be interested in a consumer reports story. This sounds like good meat for a consumer news guy. If toyota smells bad publicity coming. They'll send you a new truck hopefully.
  • jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    05 dc, sb,a/t trd/spt the air bag light that let the driver knows if the air bag is on or off.
    on my taco if some one sits on the passenger seat it will show air bag *on* but there is also an air bag *off* now ? the air bag *off* should that be lit when there is no one in the seat?
    thxz
    Fig.
  • jadamjrjadamjr Member Posts: 28
    Hey, just try to relax and take your mind off of your wait. When you finally get the truck it will blow your mind. I ordered my Tacoma Double Cab with the TRD off road package the first week of November 2004. I did not receive it until the third week of December 2004. Yet the wait was long, it was sure worth it. I have 3800 miles on it now and a three inch lift kit. It looks sweet, drives great and is the best truck I have ever owned.
  • jadamjrjadamjr Member Posts: 28
    I tried this the other day and I was able to get in to work by putting my truck (automatic) in 2LO and then pushing the button. You may have to move forward a little to get the rear to lock together. It is ment for pulling something or someone out thats stuck. I would not recommend turning while the rear is locked. Let me know if this works. I don't think you have to have it in 4X4 to get it to work.
  • geogeckogeogecko Member Posts: 225
    I meant to take a picture this weekend and post before I left, but didn't get the chance. I'll try and take one tonight, if I can get home before it gets dark out, and you don't mind a dirty truck from a recent road trip.

Interestingly, on the first part of the trip (90% highway), I got 17+ MPG. Then, on the way back, I got closer to 19.5 MPG. On the way back, I tried to keep the speed around 65-70 MPH, versus the way up, at 70-75 MPH. It seems there is a big drop in MPG when you increase your speed above 70 MPH. Not sure if this is true or not, just reporting what I found.

About the air bag. I think the deal here is, that if the person sitting in the pass. seat is > 75lbs., then the air bag will be "On." If no one is sitting in the seat (i.e., no weight), I think then it doesn't display anything, except "Airbag." Then, if you have something, someone, that is > 5 or so lbs., but < 75 lbs., then I think it shows "Off." Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Try setting something that weighs about 30 lbs. in the pass seat.
  • toyman75toyman75 Member Posts: 1
    hi new to forum. does anyone with 05 tacoma 4x4 know if the truck has shift on fly 4wd. nissan has it, just wanted to know.
  • xsactaxsacta Member Posts: 26
    The Tacoma has shift on the fly also.
  • tacomadavetacomadave Member Posts: 24
    mine was built 2/05
    Jfigueroa1, I think the pass air bag is always off unless someone over 90lbs is in the seat, the light will show off if the sensor feels somone in the seat but under 90lbs and will show the seat belt sign and airbag wil be off.Over 90lbs airbags light will say on.
  • nickt1nickt1 Member Posts: 32
    Ticking is normal for Toyota engines. They all tick.
  • geogeckogeogecko Member Posts: 225
    Yep, shifting to 4WD High can be done anywhere between 0 and 62MPH. Shifting to 4WD Low however, can only be done in neutral, and moving less than 2MPH (yes, that's 2).
  • bigandybigandy Member Posts: 70
    RE: the pass air bag is always off unless someone over 90lbs is in the seat, the light will show off if the sensor feels somone in the seat but under 90lbs and will show the seat belt sign and airbag wil be off.Over 90lbs airbags light will say on.

It will also go on if you have a 95 pound Bernese Mountain Dog in the passenger seat. The meaning of the word "someone" needs to be broadened here.
    tacomadave-so are you saying that you have a build date of 2/05 with a leak problem?
  • volleyvolley Member Posts: 298
    I had a leak and didn't realize it either. The carpet felt dry. I didn't realize it was wet until I vacuumed the carpet one day and it pulled out water.

BTW - I had my leak fixed lat week and so far no problem.
  • volleyvolley Member Posts: 298
    I know many have changed to 265/75/16s with no lift. Check over at TS or TTORA