Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Help With My 1999 Suburban

oakr8rsoakr8rs Posts: 1
edited February 2016 in Chevrolet
I have a 1999 Chevy Suburban with a 5.7L 350 Vortec engine, 2-wheel drive. I had a rebuilt 4L60E transmission put on it and at first it started a little bit rough but pretty normal. It then started making a little bit of a grinding noise, then it got a little bit worse but it would still start and ran fine. One morning, it started but what I think was a metal grinding noise was really bad. I went to come home at the end of the day, and when I went to start it, the grinding was still really bad. Instead of turning over, the grinding sound went away and I heard a spinning sound. I thought it was the distributor shaft spinning but I’m hard of hearing and I’m not very good at localizing sounds so that was just my best guess but I’m positive I heard a spinning sound start as soon as the grinding stopped. (All these sounds are occurring while trying to start the truck by the way.) When I looked under the hood and had my wife try to start it, it sounded like the distributor shaft was just spinning free. I had it towed and pulled the distributor shaft, which looked normal, and reinstalled it with correct timing. The spinning sound was gone but grinding sound was back when I tried to start it again. This engine only has about 30,000 miles on it. Does anyone have any ideas about what type of problem I might be looking at? I would very much appreciate any help. Thank you.

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    Hard to hear a noise from this distance...given your info that a) the noise occurs when you try to crank it, and b) that you recently installed a transmission, I'm wondering if you have a flywheel or flexplate issue. Pulling the starter motor might reveal something when you peek inside there--or removing the transmission inspection plate if this model has one.