Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

1981 Mark VI problem

hudgmanvihudgmanvi Member Posts: 4
edited February 2016 in Lincoln
I just purchased a 1981 Lincoln Mark VI coupe with only 23,000 miles on it. It has been in a climate controlled garage and has not been started in about 6 years. I replaced plugs, plug wires,air filter,fuel filter,fuel pump,fuel pressure regulator,fuel injectors and computer. The car ran great with no problems. I drove it about 10 miles and then it just quit! After a while it will start and run about 5 minutes and quit again. Do you think it could be the ignition module? I am running out of things to replace.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    I forgot to mention I also replaced the coil.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    If you did that, next thing I'd do when it stalls is to squirt some starting fluid in the throttle body and see if it starts right up--if it does, then you have a fuel delivery issue.

Also, testing for spark is an easy matter using a simple spark tester you can buy at Autozone

• Options
    Well, I replaced the ignition module yesterday. I drove the car all day today with no issues. Well, at least until about an hour ago. We were driving through a housing area looking at homes and it just quit running. Would not start. We walked home and about an hour later drove over to were we had left it and it started right up and I drove it 2 miles back home. I am at a loss on what to do next!
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited February 2016
    You'll have to test the car at the time of failure. Guessing is just going to frustrate you I think. Next time this happens, when you crank the car over and over, does the tachometer needle move?
  • Options
    It has the digital dash. I haven't seen a tachometer