Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2004 Civic Hybrid: worth it to fix and sell or just sell?

stimpy77stimpy77 Member Posts: 2
edited February 2016 in Honda
I have a 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid with a hybrid battery that has end-of-life'd. I noticed that because most 2004 Honda Civic Hybrids have been suddenly falling off the map for the last couple years because their hybrid batteries are end-of-life'ing, the Kelly Blue Book value went down to something like $1,200 (where it was more than $7,000 just a year ago), since having the dealership replace the hybrid battery costs around $5,000.

Meanwhile I've already replaced this car with a 2016 Subaru WRX (quite an upgrade, to say the least).

So I'm trying to figure out what to do with the old 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid. If I sell it as it is--just replace the 12V and charge the 12V and cross my fingers ("just charge the 12V and drive it like a regular Civic")--I'll surely get something like $1,200-$2,000 out of it. But if I buy a new rebuilt hybrid battery, and maybe install it myself, that'll set me back around $1,500-$2,500, but will it bring the value of the car back up to $6,000-$7,000?? Thoughts?? I

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,429
    It is 12 years old and it doesn't owe you anything.  Donate it.  Enjoy your WRX!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The car has paid for itself in service and at 167K is near the end of its statistical life. Time to take it off life support and let someone else perform a miraculous intervention, IMO.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Since you can find traction battery rebuilders that could be an okay option, especially if you think you can do the work yourself and keep the cost under $2,000. But you'd still have a 12 year old cars with lots of miles on the other systems and like rebuilding an engine or transmission in an old car, you don't get that expense back when you sell the car.

If you have a rebuilder near your location, they may be interested in buying the Civic and flipping it themselves.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Stever--You can buy a 2004 Civic Hybrid with 2/3rds the mileage, running and ready to go for $3,500. So I'm not seeing much "flippability" here. The car's not worth it IMO.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited February 2016
    I was thinking $1695 retail for the battery, so the shop could save maybe 40% off that and do the labor "free".
  • carboy21carboy21 Member Posts: 760
    Junk yard will buy it for parts.