Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

I spotted a NEW (insert make/model) today!

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    edited April 2013
    You could get around the island in 5 minutes in an exotic.

I was impressed by the flow of the traffic circles. The USA could learn a bunch by studying traffic patterns there. Roads are busy yet you almost never stop.

Simple yet impressive.
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,176
    I bet drivers licensing standards are higher, too. I have met people from South America, not known for high standards, who laugh at what goes on here.
  • Options
    I'm one of those people, LOL.

Though the Brazilian driving test may go too far in the other direction. They even include a mini psych evaluation.

I passed the test in a stick shift Beetle. Fusca down there.
  • Options
    And I am talking someone from Colombia, which seems to be a level less developed than Brazil. At least the motorcycle tests still require a little wherewithal.

On the new car front, was just out and saw a couple new Accords, Altima, Tesla, Equus (white with chrome wheels, which make the garishness less obvious).
  • Options
    Saw a black one today, new decorated headlights.
  • Options
    New like 2014 facelift? Did it say E250? That would have to be one of the first on the continent, I was thinking they were still several weeks off.
  • Options
    I don't think so...maybe wasn't a diesel, then. Must've been a regular E350.

Will they have 2 diesel engine choices?
  • Options
    But not a facelift? I haven't seen one of those yet.

I think E250 is it for 2014, and will now have available 4Matic.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    There is someone over in Tales from the Sales Front that is awaiting a 2014 E class which is due in the next 2-3 weeks so they may be out already.
  • Options
    I had heard end of the month, so that makes sense. Production started a couple months ago, and they have already been seen on the street in Europe/UK.
  • Options
    I must've seen a pre-production model. They're not common around here, but M-B sells a lot here and they sponsor all the big golfing events. I'm only a couple of miles from Avenel.

Talk about wealth...

Saw a light silver SLS today on M Street in Georgetown.

Now that I think about it, we saw an SLS in Miami, too. That's 2 in a span of 4 days.
  • Options
    I see at least one late model Ferrari/Lambo/Bentley/Maserati etc every day. I know what you mean.

As the cars are in production now, you might have seen one of the first on the continent. MBUSA HQ is in NJ, not terribly far from you.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Subaru is also in NJ, in Cherry Hill. They've grown so they're shopping for a new HQ building, but trying to stay close to the current one.

Audi/VW are near here, in Northern VA, I think.

Oddly enough I don't think I've ever seen any pre-production Audis. Maybe they're smart about staying away from the crowds.

Edit: yes -

2200 Ferdinand Porsche Dr.
    Herndon, VA 20171-5884 USA
  • Options
    ILX on the way home last night.

Then an RDX on the way in, seems more popular than the ILX. I think the big V6 and the extra space were a good idea.

Coming in - a new Accord, becoming ubiquitous.

Saw sales numbers and Nissan actually sold 100 more Altimas than Camrys sold. Then again price them and the Altima is priced more aggressively. Accord costs a bunch more. You wonder if Nissan is making any margin on those, or just making it up in volume.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I think RDX and MDX have to be the majority of Acura sales now.

Retail sales? Altima is a real fleet favorite these days, while a rental Accord is almost a unicorn.
  • Options
    Yup, RDX is #1 (up 285% YOWSAH!), MDX #2, and TL a close 3rd.

MDX is about to be replaced, though. This summer, they already showed it at NY. RDX has had eleventh-consecutive monthly sales records. American love the big V6 over the old thirsty turbo.

ILX outsold TSX, though I'd pick the latter no contest, especially the wagon.

Acura had a great month, up 26%.
  • Options
    I'd pick TSX too - ILX doesn't wow me, styling alone hurts it.

Maybe with the new RLX coming, sales could be up 26.01% :shades:
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    The RLX went on sale March 15, per their press release. They only sold 336.

I actually like the LED headlights, but FWD and a high price aren't exactly compatible.
  • Options
    The lights are so flamboyant while the rest of the car is bland. Odd mix.

I'd give a few months to see what sales will really do - I have yet to see one on the street. A tough fight.
  • Options
    Well, I liked the old Gatlin-gun style lights on the Infiniti Q, but it never sold well, either.

FWD, no V8 ... this is a knife in a gun fight.
  • Options
    Weird detail on an otherwise anonymous design, can be tough.

No V8 might not a killer - the competitor V8s sell in very small numbers, maybe just a halo effect. FWD and super-sized Accord styling will hurt more.
  • Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    edited April 2013
    I honestly don't think it offers $20K+ more than the Accord Touring. Which is also FWD with the high tech LED lights.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    I'm on a 3 week trip to Israel with my wife and son to see her family. An interesting mix of cars here from Europe, Japan, and the US.

Most popular and common brand here is Mazda, with a ton of Mazda 3's (mostly sedans), Mazda 6's, but interesting enough the last gen Mazda6 is a tiny bit smaller than the NA version. And I've seen a couple of the new new gen Mazda 6, including one wagon.

Next most popular has to be Hyundai, then Toyota (with a ton of Corollas), both Euro and NA spec Honda Civics, lots of euro Accords - our TSX.

Other notable brands here are ton of Fiats, Peugeots, Citroens, Renaults, Daihatsus, Mitsus, VW's, euro Fords, some Chevys, and surprisingly you see a newer Buick from time to time. Very few Benzes BMWs, or Audis here.

We have a rental euro spec Focus sedan - decent car but it's auto and I was hoping for something French or Italian, like a supermini hatch. Plus it seems gutless and I can't pop the hood to check the specs because the hood release has been removed for some reason :confuse:

Gas here is about $2/L (or about $7.50/gallon) so most cars are small and fuel efficient.

Plus car prices are higher than North America, and roads are rough, so car ownership here is very expensive.

A 2 year old Mazda 3 mid trim will run at about equivalent of $25k. Not cheap.

I'll post some pics up when I get back.

Cheers.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,711
    "because the hood release has been removed for some reason"

My guess is to prevent major pilferage, maybe even engine swapping. Kind of like when Hertz had a recent high performance Mustang, and put security wire on it to be able to check for engine swaps.
  • Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    3 weeks..well done. Have fun!

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    edited June 2012
    Forgot to mention....

It was cold as hell but we took the train to the city, interesting enough station wagons in Amsterdam are as common as SUVs in North America. SUVs there on the other hand, are as common as wagons in North America, meaning very few.

It's neat to see a wagon version of almost everything, especially a ton of MB C wagons and BMW 3 series wagons. My kind of city!

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I can't pop the hood to check the specs because the hood release has been removed for some reason

My sister had a flat in England a couple of years and someone phoned the rental agency for her. They were fast getting her moving again; the odd thing was that the spare was locked in the boot. (Bit surprising that it had a spare in the first place).
  • Options
    Sounds like you're having a blast. Car spotting can be more entertaining than being in a museum somewhere.

I remember I was at FRA right after the W212 wagon was introduced, and they had a line of them parked at one of the doors. It was a good sign.
  • Options
    Many new rides on the road this afternoon - Tesla S, Dart, C-Max, Escape with what I think was a very audible ecoboost, base base F30 3er (no sunroof, base wheels), Elantra GT, Caprice State Patrol car, hideous white X5 with M kit and loud exhaust that screamed "I bought my way in from Russia/China/Arabian Peninsula".

And not new, but the lot that had a 5er GT for several months either sold it or sent it packing - nowhere to be seen. But...another lot a few blocks away now has one, 550i, loaded - a quick peek revealed HUD, adaptive cruise, pano, parking - so it probably has everything else too. Something like 40K on it, they want 35K for it. Not great resale, probably cost 80K new. Weird thing.
  • Options
    The competent new Accord may be Acura's biggest problem.

Going away from SH-AWD is a mistake, IMHO.
  • Options
    Boy these things are lo-oooong.

I think my MX-5 would fit in its back seat.

Solo driver, probably a lobbyist heading to K Street.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Pretty soon we'll be seeing tons of these:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/04/bmw-x4-concept-images-leak-ahead-of-shanghai-- - debut/

Kinda looks like the Jolly Green Giant stepped on the back of your X3.

Why get a Utility vehicle if you can get a vehicle without utility?

Rear headroom and cargo space get lost in translation, I guess.
  • Options
    I've seen it compared to the old 2 door AMC Eagle. BMW is chasing money.

If you're an idiot but can't afford an X6, I have the vehicle for you...
  • Options
    I bet they sell tons of 'em. A sucker's born every minute.
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,935
    Is it me, or is there simply a whole lot of ugly going on right now?

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    Ugly is in fashion for sure.

The odd thing is that this time ugly is selling.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Money and sense/taste often exist with an inverse relationship, especially as the former rises.
  • Options
    BMW and a few Asian makes seem to be conquering that market. Scary when Kias are nice looking cars.
  • Options
    Wait until the Chinese arrive. We ain't seen nothin' yet. ;)
  • Options
    Nissan/Infiniti (especially) seem to ape BMWs, and not in a good way.
  • Options
    ...when viewed from above. SUPER short trunk:
  • Options
    Yeah, Nisfiniti definitely has a BMW complex.

The 06+ Lexus GS was the first one to irk me with a too-short trunk.
  • Options
    Doesn't bug me. That's a very handsome car in person. You never see it from that angle unless you're Juliette and Romeo is driving. :D
  • Options
    Good one. But I have noticed the super-short trunk when I parked next to one. Hate to try and load my Sam's Club stuff through that :P
  • Options
    anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    No rental tags, but a dealer plate. Black, small wheels and what I presume to be the V6 since the 4 cylinders are supposed to be arriving later on. Looked good, better than the Taurus but not the Azera IMO.

Also, a few "revised" JGC, I think they lost a little bit of elegance with the first 2 model years. The back end especially went from stylinsh and unique to a Lincoln MKX knockoff.

Saw an Accord Sport in Black this morning, very sharp looking car.
  • Options
    anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Brand new 335i X-Drive in freshened guise.

Hawt and ridiculously quick...
  • Options
    lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Looks like a fastback. Maybe they can bring back a term from the late 1940s and call it a "sedanette?"
  • Options
    I was at a funeral for a coworker's father and they had a Lincoln MKT hearse! It was about the ugliest hearse I've personally seen! If my last ride is in this monstrosity, somebody is in for a serious haunting!

• Options
    Funny, whenever I see a MKT (just saw one yesterday), I think "hearse'. Something so odd about it.

Should be plenty of old Caddy hearses left for your final ride :P
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    There is a guy in my chapter of the Cadillac-LaSalle club who has several nice hearses from which to choose! If I die an untimely death, I can have a 1974 Cadillac flower car and a choice between a 1963 and 1973 Cadillac hearse. Another guy has a super-cool 1961 Cadillac hearse on which he did an extensive nut and bolt restoration.

How's this for a final ride?