Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 Infiniti G35

Comments

• chrisbothchrisboth Member Posts: 493
    The seats look exactly the same as mine from 03.5. The guages are an improvement but those who hate the orange will be dissapointed. The real trim is ok but but the overall appearance with it is no better than before. The stitching in the armrest and handle area and also steering wheel is nice as well as the revised controls on the wheel. Nice touches but nothing dramatic - oh and hate the clock there!
  • cybersolcybersol Member Posts: 91
    The side cushions appear slightly thicker and the seat controls appear to be 1/2 to 1 inch deeper down the side of the seat. Subtle, but definitely different in side by side pictures.

I agree the new clock placement is the most controversial change. The pros are reduced lines and a cleaner dash, the cons are an odd mixture of analog and digital and more open space on the dash.

The orange guages, the seat based controls, and the large rear led lights are all going to be part of the corporate "sedan" identity of Infiniti. Much to some peoples dismay, these things won't change easily now that they are implementing them accross the line.
  • savannah starssavannah stars Member Posts: 4
    I only saw one exterior shot of the new G35 Coupe at the website listed above. Is there a place i can go to see the interior shots of the new 2005 G35 Coupe ????? I've been waiting for this for a month or so. Please help !!! Thanks
  • saugataksaugatak Member Posts: 488
    I guess there are some minor incremental improvements in the interior of the 2005 G35.

It's nice that the HP increased but for all practical purposes it won't matter that much except that now I won't have to read all those silly "kill" threads in TL and G35 forums as the G35 should now win quite handily.
    shot released and its of the sedan. But it should be nearly identical to the coupe interior changes. The pictures are here:
     http://www.nissannews.com/multimedia/infiniti2005/g35.shtml
  • wibblewibble Member Posts: 569
    Thanks for the link. Two things I've noticed. Firstly, it looks like power tilt on the steering whell. Secondly, no cassette desck on the audio system.
  • maxj1961maxj1961 Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone seen any photos of the tail lights of the 2005 G35?
    I don't think Infiniti has released photos from the rear yet. But the view released seems to suggest a possible circular theme in the taillights. Might have made them closer to the look on the G35 coupe and the new M45.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Yeah I too found nothing but disappointment with the G35's 2005 "facelift". Not nearly enough changes to the interior. Still I'll drive the car again, but I hate some of those interior details that they didn't change. More power clearly was easier to do (less $$$ since higher output versions of the same V6 are already in production) than to gut the interior. The G35's interior needed to be gutted like in the 2005 Altima. Oh well.

M
  • pisciottapisciotta Member Posts: 54
    I really dont know if I like the new body work but I definitely dont like where they put the clock and it was nice to have a cassette deck just in case
    I know someone who wouldn't buy a G35 because it had a cassette deck. She said she wasn't going to pay for something she would never use!
  • pisciottapisciotta Member Posts: 54
    come on thats just foolish not to buy a car because it has a cassette deck how much could she like this car!! especially when it cost about $25 dollars, which they dont even charge for!!
    One day let me tell you about the one who wouldn't buy anything but a base G35 because he was worried about getting mad cow disease from the leather seats! (Seriously).
    Male or female?

Sounds like this person might have mad cow already LOL.
  • roninronin Member Posts: 7
    My cassette deck just collects dust. I have not used it once since I bought the car in March 2002.
    The radio controls on the dash are difficult to use? Ah, so that's why they put them on the steering wheel.
    It's a good idea that Infiniti will be selling the sedans in October and the MT's in December. At least they would rush to release the vehicles and have the same problems with recalls like the early 2003's.
    Don't ever compare the G's with Acuras. Does any one know about the TLs and the tranny problems?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    is here. It's in our archives right now.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    A friend would like to know. It is a very serious make/or/break option for him.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    Check the media site...maybe, it'll help!

http://www.nissannews.com

:-D
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    nm
  • savannahstarssavannahstars Member Posts: 4
    I went to my dealer yesterday and talked to them about ordering an '04 G35 Coupe and they told me that they will not be allowed to order any more '04's during July's order window. June was the last window for '04's. Looks like if I want a new G35 Coupe (with the options I want) I will be getting an '05.
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    Mad cow from the leather seats eh? Somebody needs to seriously turn off the 24hr news.

COULD THE LEATHER IN YOUR CAR... KILL YOU? FIND OUT AT 11
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    "COULD THE LEATHER IN YOUR CAR... KILL YOU? FIND OUT AT 11"

Yes, if the leather manufacturer negligently put some cow brain on the leather and you happen to like licking your car seat...
    And people were complaining that the M35/45 board had gone off topic :)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Yes, let's get back to the vehicle in the discussion title, please.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

OK, seeing as I led things a little astray, I'll post some on-topic stuff :)

The 2005 G35 sedan will come in 8 colours; Garnet Fire, Twilight Blue, Lakeshore Slate, Black Obsidian, Ivory Pearl, Beige, Brilliant Silver and Diamond Graphite. No more Carribean Blue or Desert Platinum. Leather interiors will come in Beige, Graphite and Gray. There will be two levels of premium package. The standard (P01) will have the a dual sliding glass sunroof, dual zone air, memory seats, homelink, auto on/off lights, Bose with 7 speakers and a tilt/telescope steering wheel. The second (P02) will include all of PO1 plus rear air vents and the intelligent key system. The wood package (W01) will include wood on the central console.
    For those wanting a 6MT, production isn't due to start until 11/04.
  • monomono Member Posts: 26
    I am trying to decide between the Legacy GT Ltd., Acura TL, and the new 277 hp Infiniti G35 sedan. I am only considering manual trans. for all of them. I am selling my 2000 Mustang GT 5 spd. in the spring for one of these cars. I now have a 15 mo. old son. I would consider myself a major car enthusiast and I like to modify cars. My mustang GT has lots of mods. and runs 13.5 in the ¼ mile. I’m not trying to brag, I’m just giving you an idea of how much I like fast cars. To the say the least, it’s been hard accepting the fact that my mustang is just not going to work as we wish to have another child soon. And I don’t want to own three cars. The end result will have to be the sportiest family car I can buy for around $30K. I am looking for a sporty, but yet, refined driving experience. Oh, and more practicality too.

In summary, here is what I think so far after doing a lot of research (in no particular order):

Acura TL – nicest interior, great exterior looks, boring wheels, low torque, good highway MPG, smooth engine, FWD is a negative - torque steer, good sized back seat

2005 Infiniti G35 – avg. interior, avg. exterior looks, 18” wheels standard on sport model, 270 ft.-lbs. tq., 277 hp., RWD is a plus, smooth engine, good highway MPG, zero torque steer, good sized back seat

2005 Legacy GT Limited – avg. interior and exterior looks, boring wheels, only a 5 speed, poor highway MPG, AWD is a plus, sweet engine, possible to upgrade hp. with STi modifications, different than most cars in it’s class, severely underrated, smallish back seat, no seat memory

If the Acura TL came in RWD and had more low-end tq., I’d likely put down a deposit today. Acura needs to put an in-line 6 cyl in there. This is the best looking car of the bunch inside and out. I like how the 6MT also comes with Brembo brakes. Just to keep up with the hp. race, I bet Acura will bump up the hp. a bit for 2005. The FWD bugs me.

The G35’s exterior looks are growing on me, but I am still not ready to pull the trigger on it. This is sports car oriented with it’s RWD platform.

Subaru really threw a wrench in there with their new Legacy GT. If I could find confirmation that more horsepower could be unleashed through the use of some STi like engine and exhaust modifications, this may the car for me. I like that it’s different and nobody gives it a chance. I do wish the back seat was larger, but I think it will work. Anything is better than my mustang’s back seat.

Your thoughts?
    Bear in mind that the Acura and Infiniti are going to have a longer warranty and a better customer care package than the Subaru. Also, the depreciation on the G35 is one of the lowest around. I assume you haven't looked at the 2005 G35 in the flesh yet. Bear in mind that the 2005 is going to be markedly different from the 2004. Production of the 2005 G35 6MT isn't due to start until 11/04. In that case, the cars probably aren't going to hit the showrooms until around Xmas.
  • fourizonlyfourizonly Member Posts: 17
    This was taken by someone at the Infiniti HQ in Torrance, CA.

That is not the 2005 grill as seen in thier official press photo...? Nice wheels - sort of
  • jimmyc13jimmyc13 Member Posts: 4
    What kind of snow tires do you have? Or do you recommend?
    If you're looking for fun, I think the G35 is your best bet. Granted the interior doesnt match Acura, but it is significantly improved for '05. The Subaru just doesnt do much for me. They have typical wierd Subaru option packages and charge too much for the car you're getting. Its like when Mazda tried to play upscale with the Millenia. Nice try, but not good enough. If you want AWD, theres always the G35x. Here's an inside shot of the G.

• snagielsnagiel Member Posts: 750
    OK, aluminum pedals are cool, the gauges are a little more dressed up, and the clock was moved to a more logical place. At least, finally, the temperature and volume controls are rotary knobs (instead of boolean up/down buttons).

These amount to a rather underwhelming revision, one that hardly warrants more than a press release. And if VW can do this:

I don't see why Infiniti can't do a little better than the above. But, I wouldn't trade the best interior in the world if it meant losing rear wheel drive.
    IF VW can do this"

Ha - anything is possible for 90k!
    Remember, this is a company that did the Altima and Maxima interiors with 12 cents of materials. Ghosn SEVERLY cut interior spending to help get his company back on track, and the Skyline\G35 was no exception from that. So while its definitely not an ES330 inside, the ES will have a really hard time keeping up with the G. Based on the M45, it looks like Nissan is ready to spend some money on the insides of its cars again, so hopefully when the Skyline gets a complete redesign in another 2-3 years, the materials quality should go up significantly. I dont think the '05 car is bad though, its much better than the current one. Just look at gauges and center stack.
  • tirifictirific Member Posts: 2
    One of the contributors mentioned that the P02 option package will include "intelligent key system" in 2005. Will that be the same functionality that the G35 had in '04, or are any new features added?
    The intelligent key system is not on the 2004 G35. It's the system that's on the tech. package FX35 and FX45. The key fob has a transmitter on it so when you approach your locked car you can open the door without having to touch the keyfob. On the FX you can also start the car without having the key in the ignition switch. I don't know if the 2005 G35 will have that functionality.
  • knr5knr5 Member Posts: 85
    Currently I have Michelin Artic Alpins -- left over from my Maxima SE. They are quite good in the snow. I have used Bridgestone Blizzaks in the past on my Camry SE V6 and was very happy with them. The Bilzzaks are, perhaps, fractionally better in snow/ice but the Alpins are slightly superior in handling (appear to have stiffer side walls). I would say either is a good choice. If you get a lot of the white stuff and have a longish winter, perhaps the Blizzaks may be better. If your winter is not that bad, the Alpins may serve you better.
  • fjm1fjm1 Member Posts: 137
    What is so great about the VW's interior? I like the instrument cluster better but that's about it. How many freakin buttons does one car need? Holy cube, batman. Everything is square. Reminds me of older Mercedes that were generally criticized for a dash full of chiclet-sized buttons. The steering wheel is overly square and does not allow for proper hand positioning. Nav system is too low in the dash. What the heck is at the top of the center stack? Dust collectors? FWD with no stick. Yawn. Guess it needs lots of buttons for entertainment.

At least I agree about not trading the best interior for rear wheel drive. All the interior really needs, in my minimalist opinion, is a well bolstered seat, a fat three spoke steering wheel, and THREE pedals.
  • snagielsnagiel Member Posts: 750
    chrisboth: Actually, that's the $40k Touareg pictured, not the $90k Phaeton.

fjm1: I was referring more to quality of materials and aesthetics than pure ergonomics. As far as the latter go, my biggest gripe about the G35 is the volume and temperature gauges, which should be wheels and not up/down buttons. This appears to be addressed for '05.

And, speaking of homogenous buttons, I agree to an extent: it took me a long time to get comfortable with all the buttons between the nav and the HVAC systems; it wasn't intuitive while driving to control them by "finger memory." On the other hand, I'm not a fan of the BMW iDrive school of thought, in jumping to the opposite extreme and aggregating multiple functions into a single mouse/screen interface. Perhaps people vary in their preferences, but I believe the ideal solution is somewhere in the middle. Lexus, from what I've seen, seems to have gotten closer than anyone else.
    The SC430 has the best control scheme on any car currently on the market. Touch screen controls for the nav, with seperate controls for climate and audio which are instantly intuitive without reading a single page of the manual. Unfortunately on some of their other cars have some HVAC and audio controls routed through the NAV screen, but on the SC its just about perfect.

• rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    I think that none of us here can say if the 05 G35's interior is significantly improved until one of us sits in it. But just by looking at it, the dash materials seem to have a less glossy look to it and I'm almost certain that they upgraded the quality of all the interior materials. :-D
    The center stack in the '05 G looks a lot more aluminum and a lot less plastic than before. Does anyone know if it actually IS aluminum?
  • bachfirebachfire Member Posts: 19
    Has anybody heard if the newly "upgraded" interior of the 2005 G35 Coupe will include driver's seat memory which is standard on the sedan?
    The seat memory isn't mentioned in any of the 2005 G35c docs that I've seen.
    BTW, the seat memory is a premium package item on the sedan.
  • ace2004ace2004 Member Posts: 22
    Anyone know a Clear Bra installer in Westchester, NY or lower CT?
    For a 2005 G35?
  • lexi4lifelexi4life Member Posts: 181
    Are G35 as reliable as IS? Because in some car books or magazines, when they tell what's good and what's bad in this car, they never talk about reliability...
    From what I've seen, Infiniti has been doing very well in JDP surveys lately.
    The G35 is very reliable. The engine is 100,000 mile tune up free (the spark plugs get changed at 105,000). The cam drive is by chain, not belt, and is designed to last the life of the engine. Reliability and quality issues are few and far between on the G.
This discussion has been closed.