Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 Infiniti G35

Comments

• lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    Dogface is correct, I believe AT cars have 277hp and 270ft.lbs of torque, where as MT cars get 298\260. Even still, the power might be the same, but its still not an apples to apples comparison. You can hardly argue that the G35 has the size and feature content of the RL. If, however, the M35 gets the 298hp version of the engine, then it would be possible to do an M35 AWD vs. RL comparison.
  • denverg35denverg35 Member Posts: 54
    In reviewing the specs on the TL, it appeared that the G35 had about the same interior volume and a bigger trunk. RL was longer. Hope the specs that I saw were not accurate.
  • wibblewibble Member Posts: 569
    Yep. Passanger volume is almost identical - 97.9 cu.ft. for the TL, 98.0 for G35. Trunk volume is 12.3 for the TL, 14.8 for the G35. Looking at the other interior specs, it looks like the TL has the edge on width and the G35 on height.
  • monomono Member Posts: 26
    Has Infiniti disclosed how they increased the output of the 3.5L engine from 280 to 298? Was the difference in output between the old sedan and coupes done with computer programming (260 vs. 280)? Or was the sedan underrated at 260 and the coupe overrated at 280? Does anyone know what Infiniti did to raise the power from 260 to 280 on the old model year?

I am skeptical about the 298hp figure. I will be extremely curious to see what the new G runs in ¼ mile tests compared to last year’s model. Assuming vehicle weight and gearing remain unchanged, the new G35 6MT should be noticeably faster on paper and by the seat of your pants testing. I hope Infiniti isn’t playing horsepower games just to sell more cars. The 6MT cars should dyno at no less than 250 rwhp. - assuming a 15% drivetrain power loss.
  • denverg35denverg35 Member Posts: 54
    sorry, wibble! I meant the interior stats for the RL---mistakenly typed in TL
    Has Infiniti disclosed how they increased the output of the 3.5L engine from 280 to 298? Was the difference in output between the old sedan and coupes done with computer programming (260 vs. 280)? Or was the sedan underrated at 260 and the coupe overrated at 280? Does anyone know what Infiniti did to raise the power from 260 to 280 on the old model year?

I am skeptical about the 298hp figure. I will be extremely curious to see what the new G runs in ¼ mile tests compared to last year’s model. Assuming vehicle weight and gearing remain unchanged, the new G35 6MT should be noticeably faster on paper and by the seat of your pants testing. I hope Infiniti isn’t playing horsepower games just to sell more cars. The 6MT cars should dyno at no less than 250 rwhp. - assuming a 15% drivetrain power loss.
    The 260 to 280 increase is a mixture of a higher compression ratio (hence the coupe has to have high octane gas), a less restrictive exhaust system and different timing.

Looking at the 2005 models, the 6MTs produce 298hp@6400rpm and 260lb/ft@4800rpm. The autos make 280@6200rpm and 270lb/ft@480rpm. Looking at the numbers, it seems that it comes from the top end. With the torque being slightly higher, the autos may even feel slightly quicker off the line.
    The gearing on the 6MT is slightly taller than the auto.

Specs are at http://www.nissannews.com/infiniti/2005vehicles/g35_coupe/specs.s- html if you haven't seen them.
    My guess is that the difference in the 05 cars will be seen in the 30-70mph range, rather than a 0-60 start from a dead stop.
  • alphawolfalphawolf Member Posts: 100
    I'm a bit torn between these two vehicles. I realize it may seem an odd comparison.

I'm getting into real estate in Florida and will be leasing a vehicle early next year.

I need something nice to carry clients around. Both cars fit the bill.

With options the G35 RWD and Chrysler 300c come out to nearly the same price.

I'm trying to strike a balance between my professional needs and my personal satisfaction.

I've only been Internet shopping thus far.

My impression is that the g35 would be quite a bit more sporty than the 300c and more fun to push around the corners, but the 300c just had an awesome look and a wicked engine.

I need 4 doors so I cannot get the coupe. :(

How is the rear seating in the g35? Is it roomy and comfortable?

Why is it that JD POWER has such poor ratings in the g35? :(

2004 Model data:
    Mechanical Quality: 2 out of 5
    Body & Interior Quality: 3 out of 5

Have they refined things for 2005?

Also, if you could recommend Orlando area dealerships I'd really appreciate it.

I know I need to go and see and touch and test drive to make a true decision, but the more opinions/info I get now the better. :)

Thanks in advance.

Dean
    I've found the seats in the back of the G35 to be plenty comfortable, though its something you should really check out for yourself. I suggest getting in the drivers seat, moving it to a comfortable driving position, and then get in back behind it and see if your comfortable.

As for the JD Power specs, dont know. Consumer reports lists the car as "recommended" and has given it Lexus level "excellent" ratings for pretty much every catergory.

The G35 and Chrysler are different cars. The G is basically a bargain BMW 3 series, where as the Chrysler is more of a bargain Benz E500. Fast and competent, but a very intrusive ESP limits the fun factor. Skidpad numbers are minivan class because of that.

If you like the G, have you considered the Acura TL? Its extremely fast and has superb handling, and has a better interior, sound system, and navigation than the Infiniti. Its also more attractive, at least in my opinion. It has some torque steer issues with the manual, but I havent noticed any when driving the automatic.
    Ok, then where does the 18 hp. increase come from for '05? 280 to 298. Even higher compression and timing? There had to be something else.
    I agree, you should seriously consider an Acura TL. Unless you just have to have RWD, the TL is one fine car. I like the ’05 G, but I like the TL more – minus the FWD. If the TL was RWD, I’d purchase it over the G35 sedan. About the only thing wrong with the TL in my opinion is the FWD platform. FWD and high horsepower don’t mix. Not sure when Acura, Nissan, and Honda are going to wake up and realize this. The torque steer is noticeable in the TL, Maxima, Altima, and the Accord. The power just can’t be contained through the front wheels. Plus, FWD cars are usually front-heavy vehicles and typically don’t handle as well as the RWD cars.

You also might want to check out the Subaru Legacy GT and the Volvo S40 T5 AWD. I know that living in FL you don’t need AWD for winter driving, but the AWD has excellent handling characteristics.
    The Subu is nice, but I just dont think its in the same class as Infiniti and Acura. Materials arent as good, and theres no Nav this year. S40 is also nice.. but a bit on the small side. Thats closer to TSX than TL. If you're gonna go Volvo, I would suggest taking a look at the AWD S60 R. With the stick, it can show its tail lights to even the G35 and TL. Materials arent as good as the Acura, but the seats are fabulous, and the sound system is first rate.

Btw, it might not snow in FL, but it sure as heck rains, and AWD can be a life saver in the wet.

Acura has released the problem, hence the SH-AWD RL. I would expect the next TL to get AWD, and most likely Maxima as well.
  • snagielsnagiel Member Posts: 750
    TL: Great car, but the FWD is indeed a sore spot. On the automatic, the torque steer is actually minimal, but in corners the car definitely plows (understeers) and feels a lot more front-end heavy than does the G35.

As for the 300C, I have no empirical evidence for this, but I suspect their image will fade quickly in about a year or two, when the freshness appeal will give way to "knockoff Bentley" realizations and, what I suspect will be reliability and resale indeces far behind that of the G35. MHO, of course.
    I agree about the Subaru. It just isn't as nice as the TL or G35, but it's certainly in the same class for power and handling. I actually wish for an STi version of the new Legacy. Something around 300hp, 6 spd. manual, Brembo brakes, performance suspension, and of course, AWD. I like just about everything regarding the WRX STi, minus the boy racer wing and small interior. A Legacy STi will be perfect for me. Unfortunately, I don't think this car is in the near future. The Legacy sales are already very poor considering it's a new model year. I have yet to see one on the road in the Chicagoland area. Plus, you can already pick up a new Legacy at invoice price. That's not good for the Legacy future.

The new Volvo S40 is actually quite roomy in the back seat. Check it out. Yes, the S60R is the car to get, but it's too expensive for me. I'd rather stay in the low $30K range.

Unless the new Mazdaspeed6 changes my mind, I am fairly sure I will be purchasing a new G35 Sedan 6MT with the 18" wheel package this coming spring.
    Thanks for the replies, folks. One thing I need to keep in mind is that I will be doing most of my driving with passengers and the vehicle will be like my 2nd home.

The thing that bums me out on the g35 is the look of the sedan as compared to the coupe. IF they could just stretch the coupe into a 4dr and keep the 6spd manaual with the high output engine. :)

The TL...yeah...I'll give it another good look over.

I'd like to keep the price point at just under 40k with options.

Regarding the 300c's geewiz factor a year or 2 from now- sure it will fade, like all other new vehicles to hit the market.

As far as a roomy 4dr sedan that can lay some rubber in style it's still pretty nice looking (to me) at this point.

I'll hang around here and continue to get opinions.

I'd be a tad bummed to get the g35 4dr though. The coupe is a billion times sexier.

I may still give it a test drive when I'm ready to buy though. ;)

Regards,

Dean
    "I agree about the Subaru. It just isn't as nice as the TL or G35,"

I would definitely take issue with this. I can't say anything about the TL because I haven't driven one for a few months but the interior and exterior of the Legacy GT Limited is definitely superior to the 2004 G35. The paint finish is a lot better and doesn't suffer the chips the G does. The cabin layout, instruments, heated seats, steering wheel and sound system are all head and shoulders above the G. The 2005 G35 will be better but at the moment the Subaru has it.
  • heel2toeheel2toe Member Posts: 149
    Having been in the front and back of all these cars, I would say that the 300C has an advantage for carrying full-sized people around in the back seat. If I were a realtor, I would definitely pick the larger vehicle...
    Yeah the 300C is a plain bigger car than the Japanese midsize near-luxes. You could however, get a CPO GS430 for under $40K, fuly optioned out with the 17s, Nav and ML audio.
    Here's the problem. The Subaru Legacy is a 2005 and you are comparing it to a 2004 G35. I agree, the 2005 Legacy is comparable to the 2004 G35 in quality and performance. However, the 2004 G35 is the same one that's been around since the car first hit the scene. It's not a good thing when Subaru's new and improved Legacy GT just meets the old G35 in terms of quality and performance. Once the 2005 G's are out, the Legacy will most certainly become a blip on the screen.

I will admit, when I first heard about the new Legacy, I was very interested. Then Subaru released the specs and photos and I quickly lost interest. It looks like a Toyota Camry and lacks some serious performance items. For example, why couldn't Subie put the same 6 sp. manual tranny in the Legacy that they have in the WRX STi? Where's the 18" wheel package? Where's the Navigation system option? Where's the Brembo's that they use on the WRX STi? Where is the sport suspension? Where the 300 hp. STi engine? Where's the differential control like they have in the WRX?

Nissan, Infiniti, Honda, and Acura already make up the bulk of the sport sedan market place. Subaru tried to make a big splash with their new Legacy GT, but instead of offering a car above and beyond the competition, they offered a car that just barely met the competition. How do they expect to get noticed and taken seriously in this car segment when they barely meet the competition? I'm sorry, but most folks aren't going to plop down $29K for a Subaru sports sedan. Actually, sadly enough, the after just a few months, the new Legacy is already selling at invoice price. That's doesn't help their residual value.

Subaru needs to offer a Legacy STi for around $32-34K. Something to stand above the competition. The WRX STi is great, but not for a family vehicle. And who can stand the boy racer wing?!
    The advantage that the WRX/WRX STi has over the Legacy is that its only real competition is Lancer Evo. These two sit head and shoulders above entry level sport compacts like the Sentra SE-R, or RSX. Legacy on the other hand has direct competition, and lots of it. Also, a turbo four just doesnt look good on paper. It might be able to match the power of the big sixes in other Japanese cars, but I think 4cyl's just have a stigma of being weak, and are generally regarded as an entry level engine for those that cant afford a V6.
    lexusguy, what does CPO stand for? Certified Previously Owned or something like that?

My friend has an 04 RX330 which I helped drive down to Florida with him.

He loves it. The quality is excellent. It's so quiet inside the cabin even with the radio off it took a while for us to realize the Virginia State trooper was flashing lights and siren at us. :(

Luckily, I wasn't driving at the time. :)

Dean
    Those Virginia boys are just the worst. We have it bad here in PA, but I'm glad I dont live there.

Yes, CPO means certified pre-owned. Basically it means that you would get the car at a Lexus dealer, which has been thoroughly inspected and everything must be 100%. Lexus has one of the best CPO warranties; the factory will back a CPO car to 7 years or 100K total vehicle miles, meaning that a '02 GS430 with 40K miles will have the same length of warranty as a new car, 5y\60K. Its a great way to knock off several grand from the new asking price, without really giving up anything.
    "but I think 4cyl's just have a stigma of being weak, and are generally regarded as an entry level engine for those that cant afford a V6."

I'd beg to differ on that. The turbo has one distinct advantage for me. It doesn't loose power at altitude like a normally aspirated car does. As far as Subaru is concerned (and I'm going to stop after this because it is getting off topic) there is a choice of a 4T or a V6 at the top end for pretty much the same money.
    "Here's the problem. The Subaru Legacy is a 2005 and you are comparing it to a 2004 G35"

Go back and read my post and you will see I made the same point. Also, look at my posting history. You'll see I know a thing or two about Infinitis.

As for your various complaints about items missing from the Legacy, I suggest you're looking at the wrong car. The WRX STI already has mst of those items. Why would they want to put them on a luxury sports sedan? While I'm at it, I could write a small dissertation regarding the gyroscopic effect of large diameter wheels on handling but I don't want to bore everyone to death.

BTW, if you're looking for Brembo brakes, you're going to be sorely disappointed when the 2005 G35 Coupes hit the lots.
    Doesnt the Legacy not get some of the sporty items if you chose the boxer six though?
    So if you have a lot of posts that means you have more creditability when it comes to cars?

Yes, I know already know the ’05 G35 will not have Brembo’s. That’s disappointing to me only because I like the look of the painted calipers. I am sure that between the revised brakes and the quality OEM tire options, braking distances will still be excellent compared to the competition.

As for the new Legacy GT, it just isn’t going to draw much attention in a market and price segment that is heavily dominated by other brands. The previous Legacy did not compete and while the new Legacy has some major improvements, Subaru still didn’t offer anything above and beyond the competition. In fact, it still lacks in some areas. The six speed manual is now pretty standard for sports sedans, and Subaru could have used the one from the WRX STi, but they choose not to. Seat memory and navigation systems are also standard offering these days, but again, Subaru neglected these items. Where’s the stereo upgrade option? Where are the performance tires? While we could debate about it’s effect on handling, larger wheel options are also standard offerings for the competing cars. And lastly, the Legacy loses in standard warranty, something most consumers will not overlook.

If you look at how much dealers are already discounting the new Legacy, I think you can agree that Subaru didn’t do anything special to get noticed in this market segment.
    There is no boxer six cyl. engine. The boxer engine is a 4 cyl. turbo. It's Subaru's bread and better engine. It's a wonderful engine.

Only the non-GT models can have the six cyl. engine.

Bring on the Legacy STi and I'll be first in line to purchase one.
    I thought Subie's "HE-3.0" 6 was a flat six?
  • rayukusarayukusa Member Posts: 4
    Hi all, hope you can help me out...I am starting to look at a new car and I have narrowed it down to the G35, 350Z, Impreza WRX STi, Lancer Evo and possibly Pontiac GTO..

Please help me decide...I am definately leaning towards the G35 but I just wanted to gain advice from the people in the know..ie you!

Thanks
    Ray
    I’ve researched a few of these and can provide some quick summaries:

2005 WRX STi – basically a street legal race car, excellent power and handling, smallish trunk and back seat, improved interior, slick 6 speed manual transmission, huge Brembo brakes, lightweight 17” wheels, silly looking, but functional rear wing, silly looking, but functional hood scoop, AWD and the ability to manually adjust power between front and rear wheels

2005 Evo MR – basically a street legal race car, excellent power and handling, smallish trunk, improved interior for MR model, revised suspension dampening for 2005 MR only, slick 6 speed manual transmission, huge Brembo brakes, lightweight 17” wheels, silly looking, but functional rear wing, AWD and the ability to manually adjust power between front and rear wheels,

2005 GTO – 400hp!!!, looks way too much like a Grand Prix!!!, small trunk, good hwy fuel economy with manual trans., excellent interior quality and rear seat room, 18” wheel option for 2005, hood vent option for 2005, dual exhaust for 2005, boring looking

2005 G35 – improved interior quality, 298 hp for manual transmission models only, 280 hp for auto trans. models, 6 speed manual, good sized truck and rear seat room, 18” & 19” wheel options, and many other changes…

Nobody can help you answer your question unless you tell us what you want out of a car. Are you looking for roominess, power, and luxury? If so, go with the G35. If you want a street legal race car that’s a blast to drive, go with Evo or WRX STi. If you want muscle car, it’s hard to pass up the new GTO. Drive all of them and do as much reading about them as you can. Then drive them again.
    If you want a muscle car, I would lean more towards the '05 Mustang GT, or better yet, wait a year for the SVT Cobra model. The GTO is related to the original in name only. Its the exact same car as the Holden Monaro\Vauxhaul Monaro. Yes the car's got a lot of pushrod power, but its also big and heavy, and handling isnt that great. From what I've read, the '05 Mustang is supposed to have excellent handling characteristics, despite its rather archaic solid rear axle. Thats still not as bad as Corvette's leaf springs though. LEAF SPRINGS? In '05? (Thats 2005, not 1905 like other leaf spring cars equiped cars. They had starting cranks then too.)

The WRX\Evo are the modern version of the pony car wars, as there's nobody left to compete with Mustang. Keep in mind though that those magazine 0-60's are accomplished with clutch burning hard launches. You will not be able to duplicate those numbers for long without destroying your transmition. Also, you may find that these cars can be rather punishing on poor roads.

Of all of your choices, I like G coupe\350Z the best. Unlike the subie\mitsu there is plenty of grunt down low, and they are just as fast as the GTO, dispite its power advantage (weight takes that away.) The Z\G35 will also take the GTO to school in the twisties. The difference is the 350Z is a little less expensive (though not much) and a little harder edged, especially in track form. Interior is very barebones tough, and theres not much space. The Infiniti gets you a lot more creature comforts, back seats, a usable trunk, without giving up much in the way of performance. The '05 G coupe would be my choice. If 298hp isnt enough, around $5,000 worth of supercharging can lead to around 450hp, more than enough to outrun even the WRX STi and Evo.
    I really appreciate the time taken to help me out, it really has given me a clearer view now...I was originally looking at an imported Skyline GTR but the costs were phenomonal!

The G35 really seems the best way to go for me, I want something quick, but with a comfortable ride...I'm 30 years old and have a 1 yesr old son so the though of hanging around looking for races doesn't interest me, also with rear seats for the little man its a big plus...I saw a beautiful black G35 today...very nice indeed..

Thanks again!
    Wow, great info, I will certainly do a lot of reading but the thought of the supercharged G35 is really appealing...

Have you heard anything about availability of TVR's in USA?

I will look into the SVT Cobra model.

Appreciate all your advice, thanks!!

Ray
    The G35 Coupe which is Japan's skyline is as close as we can get to the monstrous GT-R, for now. Importing a GT-R from Japan is, as you said, not cost friendly. You've got the cost of the car, plus EPA certification costs, liscensing costs, etc. You'd be better off just buying a 911 Carrera, as it would most likely turn out to be less money. Fortunately Nissan is no longer strapped for cash, and a left hand drive GT-R is coming to our shores, most likely as an '07.

If you cant wait that long, a blower (or possibly GT-R style twin turbos) and some Nismo brake and suspension upgrades could turn an already sporty G35 coupe into a fire breathing monster.

Under its original British management, TVR wasnt interested in expanding outside of the UK. The company is now owned by a very wealthy Russian guy, and there is a chance (though slim) that he could decide to start selling TVRs in other parts of the world. Even if this does happen, it would be 10-15 years minimum before a TVR dealership is sitting next to the local Honda shop.
  • nuievenuieve Member Posts: 43
    Regarding ugly orange lights...

Did anyone try to apply some sort of colored (red, blue or green) celluloid on instrumentation screens to change their color?
    I'm about the same age (31) and I also have a son (19 mos.). I can tell you from personal experience that a two door car with a child isn't much fun. And with two children, it probably just gets more annoying. That's the majority of the reason I am selling my 2000 Mustang GT this spring. I still want a sporty car that I can easily put a car seat in and be able to put a stroller in the trunk. I guess I am just growing up, but not too much because I still want a sports sedan. I am likely going to purchase a 2005 G35 Sedan with the 18" wheels and 6MT. The hp., wheel, and interior upgrades really got me focused on the G. I know if won't be a mustang, but it will have excellent power, roomy interior, decent MPG, useable truck space, and sophistication far beyond my mustang.

I really like the Acura TL, but I just can't ignore that it's FWD. To me, a true sports car is not FWD. If the TL was RWD or AWD, I probably purchase one.

I am also going to take a hard look at the new Mazdaspeed6. The regular Mazda 6 is a nice car, but this one's going to be juiced up. 270+ hp., AWD, 18" wheels, and sports suspension just to name a few of the changes. It sounds good, but I have yet to see any formal pictures.
  • kenw1kenw1 Member Posts: 30
    Do you know where I can see some pictures of the 2005 GX35's interior? I have driven the 2004 and like it, but the interior doesn't turn me on. I understand the new one is much improved and has wood trim.
    I've finally managed to locate pictures of the wood trim option package. Aluminum trim pics have been around for awhile, but this is the first one I've seen of the wood package. Also for 2005 its legitmate aluminum and wood, no plastic. To be honest, and this is very unusual for me, I like the aluminum a lot better. I just dont think that the wood looks that spectacular, at least with the parchment interior. Maybe in black it might look a bit better, but the black\aluminum combo looks sharp.

That wood looks cheap and horrible. This is what a timber-lined interior should look like:

Well, keep in mind this is a $33K Infiniti G35, not a $45K+ Audi A6. Also, I'm not sure it would look any better with that wood. It just doesnt seem like the G35 interior works with a wood tone that well.
  • kenw1kenw1 Member Posts: 30
    Thanks, lexusguy. The wood is a big improvement from the 2004, but still not comparable to Audi or BMW.
    True, though the Interior has never been the G's biggest strength. Try getting a BMW with 277hp for $33K. Oh right, they dont have one.
    True; I don't expect the jewel-like detail of an A6, but when you consider that a $10k cheaper Accord EX has a far better interior treatment, you realize that some corners were cut to get the G's price down to a reasonable level. I'm curious, though, how much the R&D, materials, and labor of an upgraded interior would impact the bottom line (sticker) on the G. $500? $1000? $3000? If a grand or below, I'd bet a lot more people wouldn't dismiss the G as readily they do now in favor of others, especially the TL.
  • ssemonssemon Member Posts: 9
    The Acura TL is the inverse of Infiniti G35 - The Acura looks great on the inside but is below average in exterior styling and handling.

The Infiniti looks excellent and handles better than any new-luxury model save the BMW, but is below average when it comes to the interior.

It all depends on what you're buying - if you want more luxury and less sport, get the TL. If you want more sport with less luxury, get the G35.

Given that the G35 sedan is about $3,000 less than TL, I'd take the G35.
    Actually, I think the TL is a bit more attractive on the outside than G35, but thats me. A Honda Accord doesnt have a better interior though. Thats not the best picture, but the '05 G with the aluminum center stack looks pretty nice
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,724
    And to this eye the Acura TL is a much more striking exterior and interior design than the G35. I still haven't warmed up to the aluminum look in either car.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• heel2toeheel2toe Member Posts: 149
    Actually, I think that if you option the cars similarly the prices are more or less the same -- the "base" TL has similar equipment to the Premium Package equipped G35.

John
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    The wood trim is nice, but it really doesn't go with the design of the G35's interior. While it is the same wood as the M45, it looks much better in the M because of it's layout.
This discussion has been closed.