Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you considering a vehicle subscription service or did you previously consider one and decide against it? If so, a reporter would like to talk to you. Please reach out to [email protected] by 10/30 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Towing a camper with a 2015 RAV4 4 cylinder.

greenfaegreenfae Posts: 1
edited February 2016 in Toyota
I would like to tow a camper with my 2015 Rav4 4 cylinder. The tow capcity is 1500 lbs. Is it even possible to tow a small camper with this vehicle safely? If so, what type and style of camper?

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    Gee, that's a pretty low bar for a trailer---1500 lbs. There are a wide variety of campers available but I wonder if even the Ultra-Lites are light enough for you. You might have to settle for a pop-up or one of those tiny tear drop campers. The problem with those latter two are that the pop-up doesn't work well in extremes of hot or cold, and the tear drop sure doesn't have much room in it. I do think there are some roomier Ultra-Lites though, but they seem to run 1600 lbs on up. But again, there's such a wide variety---maybe you could find something that works for you.
  • willpumawillpuma Posts: 1
    edited February 2018
    I also have a 4 cylinder Rav 4. Interested in the Teardrop camper. Could I tow this? And, I pulled out the back seats on the Rav making it a bit lighter. Don't intend to load it up. Any ideas about how to lighten it up further? These are the number for the [email protected]
    205/75/14 Tire Size
    2900 Lbs. GAWR
    140 Lbs. Tongue Weight
    200 Lbs. Tongue Weight with LP & Battery
    1848 Lbs. Total Weight with LP & Battery