Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Miata won't downshift from 4th to 3rd.

jennifergeejennifergee Posts: 1
edited February 2016 in Mazda
Hey guys i have 1995 mx5 miata. Yesterday on the highway i realized my car wouldnt downshift from 4th to 3rd but had no problem upshifting.. What could this be? Its just in that gear and it grinds

Answers

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    You might have a worn synchro ring (no doubt this is a fairly high mileage car?). It's possible you could have a worn clutch or leaking clutch slave cylinder, so check the slave cyl. fluid level and check the slave for external leaks. You can test your clutch by trying to climb a grade in high gear--if the clutch is worn it should slip under those conditions. Also you can test your clutch pedal for "free play"--there should be some slack in the pedal when you press with your fingers, but if there is none at all, or way too much, the clutch may be ready for replacement.

You might also try double-clutching to see if the grind goes away. That would suggest a synchro issue if it does go away.