Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Brake rotors burnt and rusted? Please help?

greenagate99greenagate99 nebraskaPosts: 40
edited March 2016 in Subaru
I think the clunking noise may be coming from the back. I checked my rear wheels this morning and noticed the rotors look black (as if they were burned), and the edges are rusty and peeling. The front rotors look fine, but both rear ones are completely black with rusty peeling edges. I know the front right CV boot is split, and that will be replaced soon. My 1999 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport has about 91,530 miles on it. Should I be worried about my rear rotors? Do you want me to post a picture?

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    You should definitely have the wheels pulled and the rotors and calipers checked. It's possible the rear brakes aren't even working, or maybe getting way too hot. Needs an inspection!
  • greenagate99greenagate99 nebraskaPosts: 40

You should definitely have the wheels pulled and the rotors and calipers checked. It's possible the rear brakes aren't even working, or maybe getting way too hot. Needs an inspection!

I added a photo taken outside the wheel.
  • texasestexases Posts: 8,940
    It looks like you have rear drum brakes, not disk brakes. The brake drum looks old, but OK. But go ahead and get this inspected, no use us guessing what might be wrong.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    Ah, a photo is worth a thousand words!
  • greenagate99greenagate99 nebraskaPosts: 40
    edited March 2016
    texases said:

It looks like you have rear drum brakes, not disk brakes. The brake drum looks old, but OK. But go ahead and get this inspected, no use us guessing what might be wrong.

Ah, a photo is worth a thousand words!

Thanks! I wasn't sure if that was a rotor or not, so I just wanted to play it safe.

Could either of you help me figure out a noise I hear when I accelerate? I have another post with video recordings. It's a clunking kind of sound that stops with the brakes.

http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/39658/subaru/outback/clunking-sound-when-driving-what-could-it-be#latest