Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Advice about 3rd party GPS systems?

recalcitrantrecalcitrant Member Posts: 13
edited March 2016 in Toyota
SORRY, I JUST POSTED THIS AS A "NEW DISCUSSION", WHEN IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN "ASK A QUESTION".

My 2011 Toyota Camry LE doesn't have a GPS system. I want to buy a portable, 3rd party GPS system. I have heard that my car has Bluetooth capability, although I'm not certain this is true. I have the following questions:

1. Does my car really have Bluetooth capability?
2. Is Bluetooth the only relevant technology for my needs?
3. Do I plug the GPS unit into the car's data port? Where IS the car's data port?
4. Do I need a GPS service provider?
5. What about a power source - do these things run on batteries, or can I plug it into the thing that used to be for the cigarette lighter?
6. Are these 3rd party products reliable?
7. Could I get the kind of GPS unit that actually talks to you inexpensively?
8. Is there anything else I need to know about 3rd party GPS systems?

Thanks for any help.

Best Answer

Answers

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    edited March 2016
    My Garmin worked great until I switched to my phone. 
  • recalcitrantrecalcitrant Member Posts: 13
    Hi Steve, thanks for the help.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    1. Does my car really have Bluetooth capability? It depends--it was standard on the XLE model that had the JBL audio; otherwise, probablyl not.

2. Is Bluetooth the only relevant technology for my needs? ----Bluetooth would be used to pair the Garmin to a smartphone or bluetooth headset. You can also use bluetooth to stream your Garmin audio to your car's speakers. Garmins do not pair with a vehicle's integrated GPS system as far as I know.

Pairing Garmin to a Phone and What you can do with it

3. Do I plug the GPS unit into the car's data port? Where IS the car's data port?--- Not sure what you're asking here. Did you want to use a cable to connect your Garmin to the car's stereo speakers?

4. Do I need a GPS service provider? NO
    5. What about a power source - do these things run on batteries, or can I plug it into the thing that used to be for the cigarette lighter? --You can run on batteries but that won't last too long.
    6. Are these 3rd party products reliable?--YES but they have some limitations and will occasionally make mistakes.
    7. Could I get the kind of GPS unit that actually talks to you inexpensively?--YES, many inexpensive Garmins for instance have voice-activation.
    8. Is there anything else I need to know about 3rd party GPS systems?--Just decide what features you really want, such as lifetime updates, live traffic, etc. There are a bewildering array of GPS and features out there.
  • recalcitrantrecalcitrant Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for your help, Mr_Shiftright.
This discussion has been closed.