-June 2024 Special Lease Deals-

2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

Advice about 3rd party GPS systems?

recalcitrantrecalcitrant Member Posts: 13
edited March 2016 in Toyota
SORRY, I JUST POSTED THIS AS A "NEW DISCUSSION", WHEN IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN "ASK A QUESTION".

My 2011 Toyota Camry LE doesn't have a GPS system. I want to buy a portable, 3rd party GPS system. I have heard that my car has Bluetooth capability, although I'm not certain this is true. I have the following questions:

1. Does my car really have Bluetooth capability?
2. Is Bluetooth the only relevant technology for my needs?
3. Do I plug the GPS unit into the car's data port? Where IS the car's data port?
4. Do I need a GPS service provider?
5. What about a power source - do these things run on batteries, or can I plug it into the thing that used to be for the cigarette lighter?
6. Are these 3rd party products reliable?
7. Could I get the kind of GPS unit that actually talks to you inexpensively?
8. Is there anything else I need to know about 3rd party GPS systems?

Thanks for any help.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,762
    edited March 2016
    My Garmin worked great until I switched to my phone. 
  • Options
    Hi Steve, thanks for the help.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    1. Does my car really have Bluetooth capability? It depends--it was standard on the XLE model that had the JBL audio; otherwise, probablyl not.

2. Is Bluetooth the only relevant technology for my needs? ----Bluetooth would be used to pair the Garmin to a smartphone or bluetooth headset. You can also use bluetooth to stream your Garmin audio to your car's speakers. Garmins do not pair with a vehicle's integrated GPS system as far as I know.

Pairing Garmin to a Phone and What you can do with it

3. Do I plug the GPS unit into the car's data port? Where IS the car's data port?--- Not sure what you're asking here. Did you want to use a cable to connect your Garmin to the car's stereo speakers?

4. Do I need a GPS service provider? NO
    5. What about a power source - do these things run on batteries, or can I plug it into the thing that used to be for the cigarette lighter? --You can run on batteries but that won't last too long.
    6. Are these 3rd party products reliable?--YES but they have some limitations and will occasionally make mistakes.
    7. Could I get the kind of GPS unit that actually talks to you inexpensively?--YES, many inexpensive Garmins for instance have voice-activation.
    8. Is there anything else I need to know about 3rd party GPS systems?--Just decide what features you really want, such as lifetime updates, live traffic, etc. There are a bewildering array of GPS and features out there.
  • Options
    Thanks for your help, Mr_Shiftright.
This discussion has been closed.