-June 2024 Special Lease Deals-

2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

2007 Prius Touring

kathyt1958kathyt1958 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2016 in Toyota
I'm seriously thinking about a 2007 Prius Touring with 77K. It's at the top of my price point. Mostly, I want the gas mileage, the comfort of the room up front and the longevity of a Toyota. My concerns are about the battery and anything specific to the model/year that could cost me money in the long-run. How many more miles can I reasonably expect from the battery and what would be a fair cost estimate for a replacement or recharge? I drive my cars until the doors fall off and average about 6K miles a year. Some people have said that the 2007 has a crappy paint product? Is there a more trouble-free year or model for the Prius? I am still not clear about the difference between the base and the touring model. Any advise from a Prius expert or honest owner would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,765
    I'd be very cautious about buying a 10-year-old Prius because of the potential battery issue. They cost about $3,000 to replace. It might be worth the risk if you were a high-mile driver, but at 6K miles/year, you don't drive enough to save a lot of money, especially at today's gas prices. How about a Corolla or a Civic?
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    If I were buying a used Prius, I'd plan on 150K miles for the batteries, as best case scenario. With labor, here in California, you'd have about a $3500 bill. Now, presuming the Prius remains pretty reliable (they have a good record), and if you drive 12,000 miles a year, you'll about 6 years before bearing this large expense, so figure $600 a year spread out over 6 years. How does that sound to you? Of course, on top of that you will have "expendables"--costs that all cars bear, like tires, brakes, oil changes, wiper blades, etc.