Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What is wrong? Please help asap.

turbo1546turbo1546 Member Posts: 5
edited March 2016 in Chevrolet
So I was driving down the highway, and my speedometer dropped to zero, as did my oil pressure, then to top it off my power steering stopped. 10 minutes before this, my abs light came on twice and my brakes started locking up on the highway without me even touching them. I don't know if its the fuel pump, ECM, or what? Please help me, much appreciated.

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Sounds like the car stalled. Not much we can say about all this without having some trouble codes. Your car is a transitional year with one of two types of OBD (On Board Diagnostics). If the Data Link (what the scan tool plugs into) is a 12 pin, you have the old style OBD-I and most repair shops no longer have that type of scan tool---however, if you have an owner's manual or search online or on YouTube, you can probably find out how to scan the truck yourself. If you have a 16 pin connector, that's OBD-II and a professional grade scan tool (not a cheapie) can access the ABS codes and/or all the various modules to see what's going on in there.

Maybe something to do with the power brake master cylinder and vacuum loss---hard to guess without more info.
  • turbo1546turbo1546 Member Posts: 5
    The loss of power steering as well, its also sounds like when I key on my truck, the fuel pump isn't whirring.
    So was the vehicle still running when all this happened? Is it running now?
    Yes before, and now its not.
    edited March 2016
    Is the battery dead or does it just crank and crank with no start? Without some codes I'm in the dark here---the only thing that comes to mind is that you lost power either through a bad alternator or bad battery---when voltage drops in the system, the various computer modules go crazy. Not sure why you lost power steering unless the vehicle stalled on you.
    The vehicle was running, but now my dad says there's no spark from the coil
    You might TEST THE CRANK AND CAM positioning sensors.
    Also the battery is not dead it just cranks