Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Solara

Comments

• Options
    phatnastycatphatnastycat Member Posts: 73
    That's all I can say is Good Luck get some resolution from Toyota. I went full cycle with them, but it never got resolved for me. My car has been better since the tires were rotated last time. However considering I have been rotating my tires every 2nd oil change anyway, the problem should have been coming and going every 6K miles. Whatever the issue is, unfortunately it is just the way the car is. Enjoy the car for everything else about it and try and just live with this one negative issue (the left pull). Hopefully you leased, like I did, (2 months left) so if it bothers you really bad it won't be forever :>)
    I hope something works out for you because I can completely empathize with your situation.
  • Options
    hydrozzhydrozz Member Posts: 22
    unfortunatly, i am financing the vehicle so i will have to live with this problem for as long as i have the car, or (and i hope) get toyota to fix it.......maybe getting the tires rotated may help but who knows, i'll keep u guys updated....
  • Options
    fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    hydrozz-

I have been following this discussion. I had the same problem with the Goodyear Eagle LS tires on my 1999 Chrysler 300M. From day ONE the car wanted to go left on the highway no matter what lane I was in. This was no SLIGHT drift. This was- here I come Jersey barrier type "drift"! For 10 1/2 MONTHS I TRIED to resolve this problem with those "wonderful, award winning 5-STAR" Chrysler dealers- two of them as a matter of fact- to NO avail. HOWEVER, from the first week that I had the car, I e-mailed Goodyear about the problem. The very NEXT day, Goodyear called me and said that if there was a problem with the tires, they would replace them. I told them that Chrysler was "working" on the problem. Goodyear said to keep them informed. Every few months, I e-mailed Goodyear and said- Chrysler still working on the problem! FINALLY, my patience ran out after Chrysler/factory reps used up EVERY excuse in their training manual and I e-mailed Goodyear and asked them to make an appointment with my local Goodyear tire store to have them check out the tires. Goodyear called me and said that the local tire dealer was waiting for me to give them a call to bring my car in. I did. Two days later, at 11,000 miles, I had FOUR brand new tires on my car at NO charge. NO MORE DRIFT! Straight as an arrow just like EVERY other new car I ever owned that was driven on these SAME highways!

Bottom line- e-mail or call the tire manufacturer and explain the problem. See if they can resolve it for you. Most tires on cars are waranteed by the TIRE manufacturer and NOT the car company.

Hope this will save you time and aggravation.

fastdriver
  • Options
    zookergillzookergill Member Posts: 4
    I'm thinking about buying a 2001 Solara SE with the V6. I don't want leather, but like the cloth 6-way seat. Any other owners have favorite options that you're glad you got? Or maybe ones you got that you wished you hadn't? Also wonder if incentives might be boosted after July 4th...any thoughts?

ZG
  • Options
    scsolarascsolara Member Posts: 47
    Good to get - Upgraded stereo (sounds great);wood trim(adds to sporty/luxury interior); TRD suspension (if you are looking for a true sports car and can swing a good deal with the dealer);again for the sporty feel....5spd with TRD short shifter. I have all these and more, and love to drive my car. One year old and 26K so far. Looking forward to the next 26k+ miles. IMO of course......
  • Options
    hud116222hud116222 Member Posts: 46
    I wanted a five speed in a SLE, but Toyota would not do it. I am curious about scsolara's post about an upgraded sound system. My dealer told me it was not available???? I am very happy with the moon/sun roof. I haven't had one for quite some time and am really enjoying it. I got the leather package; first car I have ever had with leather, and I like it, too. I have had many positive comments on the Gold Emblem package. It was not on my list originally, but my wife talked me into it. It really stands out, and I think gives a class look to the car. I also got the V.I.P. security system and Side Impact Air Bags.

I believe most of the features which come with the leather package are also available in the Sport package.

Red Flame Metallic 2001 SE V-6 with Charcoal Leather interior

1400 miles of pure driving enjoyment thus far :)
  • Options
    2k1trd2k1trd Member Posts: 301
    The SE V6 with option package #4 is very nice.
  • Options
    maryjean1maryjean1 Member Posts: 4
    My solara SE is only two weeks old and I feel a griding sensation in the brake pedal and
    vibration in the steering wheel when braking from moderate to higher speeds.
    This just can't be happening to a car that's only two weeks old. I only have a little over 1,200
    miles on my new car and have been treating it as it it were made of crystal while it's in the
    break-in period. I called the dealer and they said it could be from rust that formed on the
    rotors it it had been sitting in the lot for an extended period of time. Could it be deformed rotors?

Does anyone have an opinion?. I'm just heartsick over this.

MJ
  • Options
    I don't know if you have rusted rotors or not, but I would suggest demanding your dealer take care of the problem NOW rather than give you theories about what it might be.
  • Options
    decondecon Member Posts: 56
    I would have to agree with hud116222. Take it in and tell them to fix it for you.

The only time I feel "grinding" sensation is when I make very sudden stops. I figure it's just the ABS preventing the slide.

Even if you have rust on it, it should have grinded away after 1,200 miles.
  • Options
    hydrozzhydrozz Member Posts: 22
    my car exibits the same kind of behavior that yours does, it's like really subtle and it just feels like the brake is vibrating. i dont know about the steering wheel shaking but i'd say take it to the dealers since it's still under warranty
  • Options
    solara11solara11 Member Posts: 78
    The left pull will never, ever go away!!! I was probably the first in the Town Hall to have this problem, and no matter what is done, no matter what, it always returns!!! I have had every little problem with my Solara 00, SE, package #4. My latest is small, but with 25,000 miles I believe my rotors are warped. The first time I went in to have the brakes looked at, the Toyota service department would not even take it for a test drive! Said I have disc/disc brakes, and they are maintenance free, so their is nothing to check!?! The second time, I went for an oil change, which can be done without getting oil all over the engine, or at least cleaned up after the change, so you don't smell burning oil for 1000 miles. Just make sure to remind them to clean the oil afterwards. Toyota is pretty good about it, and Jiffy Lube hoses the underside down before I leave, as it is in the notes when they look up my car. Some mechanics are just plain sloppy, as it is not their car, and they seem over worked. Anyway, the second rotor trip, they said they can't detect any vibration when hitting the brakes. If you take your hands from the wheel, at 40 mph, and apply the brakes, the steering wheel shimmies, left to right, left to right, just by watching it! Meanwhile the car is going to the left! Anyone have any suggestions? I do not know if this should be a warranty issue?
  • Options
    My 01 Solara has a "slight" pull to the left. I special ordered the car, and made sure when it came in the sales manager went for a ride with me to note that it pulled a bit. I have not had them do anything about it at this point because it is so slight it does not really affect handling and driving pleasure.

I guess what I would say to your problem is that I consider EVERYTHING to be either a warranty problem or a dealer problem. I would insist that they take whatever measures necessary to take care of your situation. You might conclude that over the years dealers have come to not care for me very much, and that is true. But it is MY hard earned money that I am spending, and I expect no less of a standard for their work that I put into mine.

Good luck, and keep us posted
  • Options
    I find that the service advisor plays a big role in Whats covered under warranty. Toyota stopped sending me service surveys, as I have been in the service industry for over a decade, and nobody gets excellent, or perfect, unless they bend over backwards and jump through hoops! The one advisor told me they had a survey in the back with my name on it but I never received it!?!
  • Options
    solara11-

I thought those surveys came from Toyota and not the dealer? Anyway, if they're holding it and not giving it to you because they're afraid you're going to write something negative, I'd call Toyota and tell them.

fastdriver
  • Options
    cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Allow me to comment on the survey system. You may not like it, but let me tell you anyway so you can better understand why dealers do what they do.

In the service department, you get a survey only if you have warranty work. The service advisors name goes on the thing and he is held solely responsible for the scores. They are given a 100 rating for "completely satisfied" and 80% for "satisfied" and it goes down from there. Service advisors are expected to maintain a total score over 90%. They get bonuses both from the dealership and directly from Toyota for maintaining a high score.

Now, if they have a customer that they know will not give them completely satisfied scores, they have incentive to try to avoid letting you ever get a survey. This can include not processing the claims to warranty, altering your address in the system or bribing you with things like free oil changes. I don't condone any one of these, but remember, the service advisor is a human being and will make human decisions.

By being a hard head about the survey, you are putting the guy in a difficult situation. He may get hard headed back and do whatever he can to have your repair NOT considered a warranty issue. His livelihood depends on his total compensation and if you threaten that compensation, he will figure a way to not let that happen.

The situation in sales is similar, but easier to remedy. If we have a difficult customer and we think we will get killed on a survey, all we must do is change one digit in the phone number when we report it to Toyota. We are allowed 10% "mismatch" on phone numbers before Toyota audits us.

Again, I'm not condoning the system. I'm just explaining it.
  • Options
    curlyqcurlyq Member Posts: 54
    Well, Toyota dealerships can try to manipulate surveys and customers, but they continue to rate poorly in ID Powers surveys for customer satisfaction. Here's a novel idea for Toyota, how about taking care of your loyal customers the first time, and actually fixing know inherent problems like the left pull, coin box and poor paint quality before you put a customer behind the wheel of a problem car. Maybe then, you will honestly earn the compensation you need to make a living.
  • Options
    cliffy1-

I hear where you're coming from. While these tactics may apply to the "unreasonable" customer, I don't think they should apply for the legitimate customer with a legitimate problem or concern.

All a customer has to do then is call Toyota from time to time to make sure all their personal info- name, address, ZIP etc. is correct and up to date. They could also call if they had warranty work done and didn't receive a survey to inquire as to why they didn't.

I know you try to help people to see both sides of the issue, but the customer is not always wrong nor are they always right.

fastdriver
  • Options
    I agree that Toyota should address and fix customers problems the first time around. As far as J. D. Power awards go, it has been my first hand experience that the awards are basically "BOUGHT". The companies outsourced to do survey work have a great financial interest in helping the company to acquire the award, and the cash cow company always comes out on top, from my experience working with a company that has won 5 years in a row! Another thought, the Toyota dealer may get paid for each warranty trip, thus the reason it takes me 3-4 trips to get the same (one) problem fixed. Any feedback???
  • Options
    cfranocfrano Member Posts: 1
    I know this has been gone over before, but has anyone out there had any experience regarding the repair of yellowing bumpers on white solaras? I have 31K miles on the car, and realize that if this is something that can be repaired under warranty, I should get around to it pretty quickly.

Informaton on how to present the problem to the dealer, or anything else pertinent would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  • Options
    Ya'll missed my point. I agree that work should be done right the first time. I agree that too many dealerships deserve the bad reputation we have. I was simply explaining why a service writer would be motivated to hide a survey. If you tell him up front that you're going to be a pain in the neck or that you never give perfect scores, you should not expect to ever see a survey. I knew I shouldn't have bothered to try to explain this. My mistake and I'll try to keep my mouth shut on this issue from now on.

Solara11. Dealerships are paid for warranty work, but only once and at reduced labor rates. There is no motivation to have you back several times.
  • Options
    cliffy1-

I don't think ANYONE missed your point at all. Some of us know how much those surveys mean to the dealership and the people who work there. My point was, if you have a legitimate complaint about a problem with your new car and the dealer is trying to blow YOU off by saying things like: they're all like that, it's a characteristic of the car, never saw this before or can't duplicate the problem etc. and YOU know there is a problem because you know others who have the same problem or others who had the same problem fixed at another dealer, then you should fill out the survey honestly. If a dealer is really trying to resolve the problem, I don't think you should kill them on the survey, but I think you should check off that the problem wasn't fixed the first time and that the dealer is still working on the problem. Don't dealers have access to factory technicians if there is a problem that has them stumped? I don't mean a factory rep, I mean the engineers at the factory.

From reading this particular topic for years now, I don't think your dealership tries to blow off the customer, but trust me, there are MANY out here who do. They're very condescending and treat the customer like they don't know what the hell they're talking about and that they do.

I know it's not always possible to fix a problem the first time. That would really be idealistic. However, after two or three times that the problem isn't resolved, I don't think the dealer should start coming up with excuses.

fastdriver
  • Options
    rubicon52rubicon52 Member Posts: 191
    I'm sure that the motivation for the customer surveys is that Toyota wants to raise their customer satisfaction scores. Although Toyota cars are highly rated, the dealerships are not (Consumer Reports rates them below average). One way of getting a high customer satisfaction score is to provide great service. Another way is to try to intimidate and bribe the customer into submitting a positive survey, to misdirect surveys (as you describe), etc. I recently bought a new Solara. During my inspection, I found a defective floor (this took me all of 10 minutes). The salesman was more concerned about how this defect might affect my survey response than about fixing my floor. He even suggested that I lie on the survey and not say anything about the defect. If the dealer put as much effort into satisfying the customer as he does into manipulating survey results, customer satisfaction would not be a problem. Toyota's customer satisfaction problem will not be fixed until Toyota gets serious about customer satisfaction. Any dealership employee found misdirecting surveys, coaching customers on how to complete the survey, etc. should be immediately fired for unethical behavior. This is what would happen in my industry to anyone caught lying to a customer.
  • Options
    marvin75marvin75 Member Posts: 7
    This is a great forum! I am hearing and feeling a single "thud" noise coming from the rear of my solara every time I accelerate forward from stop. It is most dramatic when the gas tank is full, and is goes away by the time the gas level is around 3/4 full. I thought something was moving around back there, but everything (spare tire, etc.) seems secure. Has anyone else experienced this problem/annoyance? What could be causing it? Gas sloshing around in the tank?

Thanks for any suggestions!
    Marvin 2001 SLE DWP 1310miles
  • Options
    rubicon52-

AMEN!! I agree with you 100%! It's NOT just Toyota! Chrysler is worse! Their "5-STAR" designation is a JOKE and a scam! The "factory rep" is the one who checks the dealer once a month I believe. HOW do they check? I KNOW it's NOT by calling customers at random to see if ANYONE from the dealership ever called to see if they were satisfied with any warranty work that was done on the car or they would have been calling me ALL the time since the dealer NEVER did like they are supposed to!

I know that not all problems can be resolved the first time, but after 5-6 times, SOMEONE SHOULD be calling you!

I don't think this will ever change unless their sales start to slip or the customer takes the time to write to CORPORATE headquarters and not just call "customer service" to voice their dissatisfaction. There will always be good dealers and bad dealers. Just depends on how much pride the dealer owner has for his business and his customers.

fastdriver
  • Options
    You missed my point, as does just about everybody who posts here any time I am stupid enough to inform consumers about WHY things happen the way they do. I don't defend the system, I'm simply trying to describe it to you so you better understand why sales and service personelle behave the way they do. I must be a complete idiot for ever wading into this and should simply keep my mouth shut and allow you to wallow in your loathing of the dealership without the slightest inclination as to why your salesman was so concerned with his score.

Sorry is this sounds harsh. I've waded into this discussion before and nobody seems to care a lick about the fact that the sales staff is trapped by a system they can't change. Let me give you something concrete here. You said there was a problem with the floor in your car. Is that the fault of the salesman? Did he make the floor? Did he damage it? Of course not, but if you answer the survey honestly, it will cost him money. Even if he bends over backwards to get it fixed, the question on the survey is "Were there any problems with your car at time of delivery?" The next question is "Is the dealer taking care of this to your satisfaction?" but the salesman is only rated on the first question. Your honest answer to question number one could be the one that keeps him out of Sales Society, Cash Blast and prevents him from achieving other bonuses totaling over $10K in a year....

Never mind. I know this will fall on the same deaf ears that this has every other time I've gone to the trouble of explaining salesman behavior. We should all just bite the bullet and behave as ethical robots no matter the personal consequences. Only then will Consumer Reports move us up the list.

Oh one last thing... if your salesman did nothing to fix your problem, nail him to the wall.
  • Options
    I think I now understand your point about the salesman being trapped by the system. It sounds like Toyota's customer satisfaction program both discourages its employees and rubs customers the wrong way. I guess that only thing that still bothers me is that I found the defect in my floor fairly quickly. I pushed the front passenger seat forward, stepped in the back, and the floor made a loud popping sound, I could actually see the floor oil can in and out as I stepped. I would think that this would be apparent to anyone who stepped into the back for the first time.

If scores on the CSI are so important to a salesman shouldn't he spend 15-30 minutes going over a car before the customer picks it up? When I arrived at the dealership, the saleman was still cleaning spots off the finish. I guess that's my point - if the saleman spent as much time preparing my car as he spent "coaching" me on the CSI, he would have found the defect. As someone who is much more experienced than I am with the product, he should have found in 5 minutes what it took me 10 minutes to find.
  • Options
    I'm not quite ready to go back for my first scheduled service on my 2001 Solara. I've worked with this dealer before (160K on my '87 Celica), and I'm not expecting problems with their service department; but I appreciate knowing how the system works just in case. Thanks for sharing, and I hope you'll continue. Your posts on this and the other Toyota boards have been very insightful.
  • Options
    Marvin75- I too have heard the same "thud" sound when accelerating from a stop. Not sure what the problem is. I also thought it was just something moving around in my trunk, but then realized that there was nothing in my trunk to move around. It's very strange.

Brakes...
    I don't remember who it was who had the question about brake noise, but my brakes sound horrible when stopping (and I don't just mean when hard stopping). I hear a really strong grinding sound from my front brakes. I have asked the dealer about many times and I am always told that is there is nothing abnormal about this. I am told that this sound is the result of the new brake materials used. So, I have stopped asking about it.

Toyota Service Surveys....
    I recognize the poor behavior that Toyota is encouraging by putting such a strong emphasis on how dealership employees are paid based on survey results. It's a double-edged sword...Toyota could the lessen the emphasis on receiving perfect scores, but then this would likely lessen the focus dealer reps has on cust. sat. But at the same time, dealer reps are not 100% focused now on true customer sat because of the pressure to get a perfect score. Either way you execute, it still has potential problems.

Perhaps, Toyota should only rate a rep on his performance and not rate him on things that are out of that reps control. Ex, a manf. defect. Why is this a service tech or salesmans fault? Don't give a negative score to the sales guy becauses a car had defective floor. Ding the plant that manufactured it. Rate the service rep and/or the sales rep for how they handle the problem. Was the rep responsive to the problem and did they fix in a timely manner without a negative impact on the customer? As a person in sales for a major US corp., I would be pissed if money was taken out my pocket because something I sold to a customer had a defect from the plant. Customer sat is key to my success, and how I react to that customer's issue is what is important. I would make sure that customer's product was replaced immediately and that we provide the customer with a temp replacement until a new one arrived. It's that simple!!! And trust me, what I sell costs a heck of a lot more than a Solara.
    Customer sat in the auto industry can be a real joke. They sell you an expensive product and then rarely fail to stand 100% behind it unless someone's life is in jeopardy (translation, large loss of $$$'s due to potential lawsuits).
    Now, I have worked with some great service depts and I have worked with some really lousy ones. My best services experiences have been with Honda. Average with Toyota(depending on the serv. tech, and the dealer), and poor with Nissan. I know it comes down to the individual. When I find a great sales person or service rep, I give all my business to the individual. See that's, how providing great cust. service pays off. REPEAT BUSINESS. Why is customer sat important to me in sales? Because I want to continue to give myself an opportunity to earn that customer's business again. What every employee of a dealership needs to understand is that they are in sales. What they do impact whether or not a person buys again from that manufacturer. In the end that's what really puts money in their pocket. If that customers goes and buys a Honda next time, that's rev. from the Toyota dealership, and less money that could end up in their pocket.
    Understand the business. Treat customers like you want to be treated. And everyone wins.
  • Options
    You've got it! Phatnastycat just absolutely nailed the catch 22 that we are in when it comes to CSI. I don't like the system, but I also don't know how it could be changed to be more fair to all involved.

Thanks both for your posts. I really hate delving into this subject because it is a very emotional issue for me and even more so for the consumer.
  • Options
    I'm still not quite sure what the nature of the problem was with your car as I don't know what you mean by an oil can in the back seat. In any event, the salesman probably did go over the car but I can see how he would miss something that required him to climb into the back seat to discover. If he made an honest effort to correct the problem and didn't just pass it off, consider the personal consequences to him if you get the survey.
  • Options
    vz18wpvz18wp Member Posts: 20
    I too have the yellowing bumpers (1999 SE with 31K miles). The last time this topic was addressed, it was stated that paint "reacts" differently to plastic surfaces, hence the different color. To me, this shouldn't mean that we have to live with yellow bumpers! Some time ago, someone had plannedt to take their car in for this very issue. I never saw any post addressing his result.
  • Options
    friendinthebizfriendinthebiz Member Posts: 31
    I have been following this board for a while now and seem to have found a reasonable group of viewpoints. cliffy1 & phatnastycat display a good
    sense of the Sales Survey dilemma. If they don't
    tie in an award no one takes the time. When they do tie you up with $'s, trips, cards etc., you do your job which now includes "survey prep". I sell multiple brands (not including Toyota)and found the retail experience out of my stores very enlighting.
    My wife loves her '99 SE Black/Charcoal #4. We have the Michelin "16's and I think the off center drift/pull is in the power steering rack. It will hunt both right and left but can stay dead straight for miles also. If you cut the ignition and coast the pull goes away. It has also suffered a couple of stone chips, has the single thud during initial acceleration (fuel baffle?) and remains the nicest car she ever owned. She likes the relatively low numbers of lookalike cars (particularly SE's in Black)and the quiet way it works.
  • Options
    vz18wpvz18wp Member Posts: 20
    My dealer explained this sound as being "normal brake pad noise"! Well, I'd be interested to see what your dealer tells you about this noise!

Keep us advised as to your findings! Good Luck!
  • Options
    I have the diamond white paint and I have noticed that it is slightly off color from the paint. Though I have noticed this same color difference with other Solara colors.
    I had to have my bumper cover replaced a couple years back after someone bumped me. The first time they painted it the primer coat bled through so they had to repaint it. The second paint job turned out fine.
    I think part of the problem is in the design of the rear of the car. The fact that you have a plastic painted surfacing running under a metal painted surface. This results in the slight color shade difference being more apparent to the eye.
    As far as yellowing, I think that's a whole different issue. Could be that the base coat is bleeding through like the situation I had.
    And yes, IMO, Toyota should fix the problem. Not sure what the warranty coverage is for paint, but check your owner's manual or give Toyota customer service a call. I'd call Toyota before I called a dealer.
    If you can get it repainted under warranty, get a reference from someone to make sure you choose a Toyota dealership with a good body shop. And I would insist that they remove the bumper cover before they repaint it (if possible) to avoid overspray. I had an overspray problem when the repainted mine. Someone left a small gap when taping up my car and the paint bled through onto a quarter panel.
    -PNC
  • Options
    "oil can" means when a surface flexes and pops in and out, like the old fashioned oil cans. Actually my buying experience on the Solara was pretty good. The salesman offered to fix the floor while I waited. I wasn't upset about the defective floor. I've bought many Toyotas and even new Toyotas have 1 or 2 minor defects. What did upset me was the salesman asking me to lie on the survey because he didn't do a thorough inspection. I certainly don't think the salesman is responsible for all the defects in a new car, but I do think he is responsible for those that can be easily found by the customer in a few minutes. If I could find this defect in a few minutes why couldn't he?
  • Options
    I've spent most of the last 30 years in marketing/research positions and have lost track of the number of surveys I've designed personally or had designed under my supervision. Speaking fom the position of knowing more than enough to be a danger to myself and others, here's my US$0.02: Toyota has tied compensation too tightly to survey results.

IMHO, they need to do more kinds of things (e.g., mystery shoppers, depth interviews, etc.) so that every returned form or wacko customer isn't a near-death encounter for the sales person or the dealership. On the other hand, routinely mediocre service would be exposed more quickly.

Doing so not only would make the system harder to "game," but it would also yield a lot more ACTIONABLE info in terms of IMPROVING service quality. The dealership staff and Toyota both need feedback re: what's correctable and what's OK. The current system sounds like it's one of those "quality" processes that's well-intentioned but has been taken to a mindless, one-dimensional extreme.

Fixing it might require Toyota to pony up some more $$$, but this issue is important to their continued success.
  • Options
    automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    I had a long talk with my local, excellent body shop about this. They said that the paint reacts with the Urethane of the bumper, causing a slow reaction. They said it happens to ALL cars, and that Honda seems to have a better hand on it than others.

I mentioned it to my Service rep, and he discussed it with Toyota. The reply is that Toyota will not repaint the bumpers. I guess that we didn't spend enough for our cars, since several Lexus posters said that Lexus quickly repainted their cars.

On the positive side, it seems that the yellowing has not increased over the last year or so.
  • Options
    You should have seen what the process was three years ago. That was when the surveys were written instead of by phone. Many dealers were offering free oil changes, tanks of gas and detailing for a customer to just bring the survey into the store for them to fill out. Now, they randomly sample 30% of our customers by phone. We also have stiff penalties for excessive "mismatch" phone numbers. It still isn't right, but it is better.

If I could change only one thing about the system, it would be to remove the DQI (delivery quality) question from the salesman's index. Place that blame on the detail department and don't hurt your salesman for things he can't control. There would need to be an incentive program for the "get ready manager" to keep his score up but it seems like an easy tweak of the system. Oh well... I'll handle that as soon as I am declared king.
  • Options
    westsolarawestsolara Member Posts: 18
    YOU HAVE MY VOTE.........
  • Options
    vinceburlappvinceburlapp Member Posts: 64
    My friend who lives in Japan just sent me this picture of the next Solara. It looks pretty sporty, but she claims they told her the car was actually roomier.

Go to my roommate's site at:

http://www.thehollywoodextra.com

and find the red link to my car page. I also have the 2002 Camry on there.
  • Options
    zookergillzookergill Member Posts: 4
    Today I put a deposit on a 2001 Solar SE, V6, silver w/charcoal cloth interior, sports trim package and sunroof. Dealer is getting it off another dealer's lot. Can't wait for Monday when I can drive it away (hopefully straight, not drifting left ).

Zooker Gill
  • Options
    Vince: Thanks for the pic of the new Solara. It appears to have much better lines than the current model. Does this mean the 02 will be about the same as this year's model?

Zooker: Congrats on the purchase!!! One thing I would suggest is take someone from the dealership with you on a test drive when the car comes in. I did that and it was noted there was a slight drift. However, mine tends to drift with the road; ie. not a major problem. But I wanted to make sure the dealer was aware there was a potential problem. Enjoy!!!!!
  • Options
    kdonkor1kdonkor1 Member Posts: 5
    This is the strangest thing... maybe someone has had this problem or has an answer. This thing is a little long but pls bear with me. Some time ago, the brake indicator on my dashboard lighted up indicating that at least one of my brake lights went out. Well, I did not bother with it because I never did get a chance to change it anyway. Then a couple of weeks later, the brake light indicator on the dash board mysteriously went off and the brake light was functioning properly again. It went out a couple of days later but then I decided to change it this time. A week later, the brake light went out once again (with brand new bulb installed). Since then its been going on and off every couple of days.... any suggestions or ideas???
  • Options
    The pics were very nice, but please bear in mind that most of these "spy" and future car pics are fanciful computer generated guesses.
  • Options
    black00black00 Member Posts: 48
    The Car connection website has spy photos of future cars camouflaged and other computer generated guesses. It's pretty interesting...

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?n=156,178&sid=178

They have the alleged Camry 2002 in there...

http://www.mag-x.com/scoop/camry0103/index.html

No Solara though :-(

• Options
    For those thinking of adding some wood, here is a quick shot of my SLE with a tasteful bit of wood added from exoticwooddash.com

imagehttp://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1016688&a=7491788&p=51226097>

• Options
    maoz1maoz1 Member Posts: 1
    I am new to this forum although I have been reading it for some time. Last week I purchased a 01 SE V6 5spd with leather. A couple of days ago I noticed a rattle coming from the driver's side rear a-arm, or maybe the driver's side rear deck area. It is not radio produced and it quite persistent. I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction of a fix and or tell me what the exact problem area is. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Thanks so much for any information you can give me!

Ben
  • Options
    har1bushhar1bush Member Posts: 207
    Wow, I love that woodtrim you got there... Was it a dealer installed option? How much? It sure looks like a Lexus with the new trim....

As for me, I am new to the post and I am in the hunt for a car around 23K-25K. Solara SLE coupe is one of my options. Can anyone with the SLE model fill me in on the good and the bad about this car? My pet peeve about this car is that it's recommended to use premium fuel, even though only a regular octane fuel is required for the Accord EX V6... Is there any major difference in using 89 octane fuel in terms of performance and longetivity of the engine?
  • Options
    ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    i used 87 octane in my 99 solara... no problems at all and it had plenty of pep....fill up with 87 octane and you'll be zooming right along