Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Could it just be a fuse?

delon1981delon1981 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2016 in Oldsmobile
I test drove a car and am trying to decide on whether to buy it or not. The defrost,heat,ac,radio is not working. I was told by the seller it be simple fix just needs a fuse. I was skeptical because if its such a simple fix why do they not have it fixed. I don't know about buying a car with no defrost especially. COULD this be a fuse? Please Help.

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Exactly - if it's a simple fix, the seller should have fixed it.

If nothing else, get it checked by your own mechanic before buying - the $100 pre-inspection fee would be cheap insurance.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I wouldn't buy it like that---like Steve said, if you love the car otherwise, pay to have a mechanic look it over and also scan the HVAC system for trouble codes. You do not want to be dealing with electrical gremlins on a 16 year old car!
  • Options
    cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    It could be. But if it's that simple the seller would have done it before putting it on the market or he knows nothing.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I don't think all those functions would be on the same fuse, however.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I had to chuckle. Remembering some of the things people trading in cars would say...

" It's probably something simple like a loose wire"

" Oh, the A/C probably just needs a charge"

" I never noticed that (severe) wobble in the suspension you are talking about"

The trouble is if it actually WAS something simple the seller should/would have taken care of it.

The dealer has to assume it's the worst thing possible and deduct accordingly not to get burned.

Another trick was to disconnect the car's battery for a few seconds so the check engine or airbag light would go off. Doing this would usually buy enough time to keep the light off before the car got appraised.

Discovering a check engine light on the following day was something that would happen once in awhile.

Listen to the others. Get an inspection done! I'm betting it's a lot more than a fuse!