Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Is Payment negotiation always a no-go?

dus1988dus1988 Pompano BEachPosts: 1
edited March 2016 in General
Hello,

This question will be about new car negotiations. Let me begin by saying that I am not really a newbie when it comes to automotive negotiations. I negotiated my last car down almost 6k below MSRP. 3.5grand below invoice. It was a 09 corolla s.

Ive been in the market for a new car that MSRP is 34000 and ive done extensive research on it. Now, Im fairly certain I can go through the hassle of negotiating this down to roughly 29.5k. 31.5k tops. This minus what I would accept for my trade in and what I am pre-approved for in financing equates to a $400-425 monthly payment for 60 months.

Since I know all this, what is the big issue with just telling the dealer I want a 60 month term and $400 a month. I know one of the biggest no-no's of negotiation is to not go monthly, but I sorta see this as a way to not let the dealer manipulate unknown numbers. I personally dont care what they do (mainly because I mostly know what they will need to do to meet my terms), so long as my payment is $400 and its is 60 months based on a long studied calculation of what I think the car is worth. Ultimately, I see it as a easy way to not deal with the dealers tricks. Even if they try to make the add-ons, if it does not meet my terms; I deny, and if it does, they lost the profit on that add-on.

Ultimately, I always read and practiced the concept of not negotiating via monthly payment. My question is, what could it negatively effect, if I know my terms equate to a favorable situation financially.

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 128,190
    @dus1988 As long as you are on top of things, and know the numbers, that's a perfectly valid strategy.

Until they come back with $375/mo, and you don't why. ;)

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 20,225
    I'm scratching my head as to HOW you could have bought a popular fast selling Corolla for 3.5K less than invoice? There is NEVER that much "trunk money" on a low end car like that!

It sounds like you already know what you're doing!