Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Stalling and shifting issue

97kotakid97kotakid Member Posts: 1
edited March 2016 in Dodge
I have a 1997 Dakota 318 V8 automatic transmission 4x4 with 132k miles the truck has recently started stalking out at light and either not shifting at the right time or shifting very hard. Is my transmission going??

Answers

• Options
    bambi1973bambi1973 Member Posts: 2
    Your transmission filter may need to be changed, I'd start with that. Do NOT flush your transmission unless you have always flushed it! If you do it now, with that many miles, you are asking for a new transmission and don't let anyone tell you any different! Change the filter, add a little more fluid and you should be good to go. Good luck!
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited March 2016
    I would guess it's your throttle position sensor (TPS). These can be tested.

Here's the general way to TEST THE TPS

Not sure if this video shows the exact same setup as yours, but it should be good enough.

CAUTION: Don't do this test until you view the video below, which shows a SAFER way to do it.

However, the TPS gets blamed for a lot of things when it isn't the culprit, so if you're willing to learn a bit more about it, THIS VIDEO might be interesting to you.

Short answer: I'm just guessing-----stalling + weird transmission shifts---TPS affects both of these symptoms, but I could be totally wrong, as I don't have your truck in front of me, and can't plug in diagnostic tools.