Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    I keep looking into cars next to me at the quick market where I get coffee each morning. I don't see any cars with better plastic interior than the GMs I see parked next to me. What's the difference...

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    It didn't make any sense in removing the coin holder, PRNL markings, glove box light trunk net, etc....a negative marketing strategy, to save what $12.00 off the cost of a $28,000 car.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    and I'll say it again. It wasn't so much the things they removed that I COULD see...I just figured if they were shortcutting interior features like that, they may well be doing the same to the powertrain...a little cheaper part here, a little less durability there.

And largely for that reason and that reason alone, I have now driven a Ford lately...in fact, it just brought me home! :)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Please. There are plenty of News & Views topics dedicated to GM, GM's future, and GM styling.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    I personally don't care for retro styling on most cars, I'm sick of the PT, Beetle and the 300s. Works ok on the Mustang for now though. What would I change, not much. Maybe a 5 or 6 speed auto, a slightly more aggressive nose and your suggestion of SS stitched into the leather optioned seats might be cool.

GM has made this car accessible to a lot of people by keeping the base price low and not loading it up with leather and such. I like that.. and I think that's what Chevy is all about. Performance for everyone, value and fun.
    I popped into another Chevy dealer on the way home and saw a black LTZ. It was fairly loaded up listed at C$33800. Had leather and a power roof. Great compromise between the LT and SS. I wonder how the sales breakdown will go, I think most people will either go base (ls/lt) or go all the way with the SS.
  • jcooleyjcooley Member Posts: 46
    Edmunds currently has the TMV price after the $1000 incentive pretty close to the Invoice price (for all trims). I checked the Employee price for a base 2005 Impala and you can get it $2500 below invoice. With that and the thought that GM is pricing the 2006s closer to the final price (i.e. less incentives), how much will a 2006 Impala cost in let's say mid January 2006 when there are a lot of 06's on the lot and all the 05's are gone? Basically, how much lower than invoice will it be in January 2006? Thanks and this is interesting reading.
    Depends on the market, I don't think anyone can tell you what you will be able to get an 06 for in 6 months. I suspect the discounts will not be as big but the prices may be similar as MSRPs will tighten up to dealer invoices on most GM cars for the new model year.

I would wait and buy an 06, it is a much improved car in every way and even worth paying a little more if you have to.
    . GM indicated last year that the 6 speed auto that they are working on is only capable to handle up to I believe 250 hp for front wheel driver applications, so that will probably be available for the 3.5 & 3.9 engines. not the 5.3 V8....
    When calculating gas mileage of the Impala or any other Chevy determining your operating costs, you might want to factor in the residual value of these cars.....Edmunds listed The Cavalier, Aveo Malibu, Malibu Maxx, & Impala in 2004 listed in the top 10 with the worst residual value after 5 years of operation......there were 32 cars grouped in this top 10...there were some Chrysler & Ford products also listed........no Japanese cars made the worst list......a list like this hurts the sales of the big three, because eduacted consumers weighing the possiblity of purchasing a car take this into consideration.......I believe Fleet sales have hurt the value of all these cars listed. Fleets are sold by the thousands and are dumped on the market every year or two......The real winners are people shopping for a second hand car.......great deals can be found.
    Popular Mechanics says the demographics of Impala owners.......Under 30 9.5%.......30-49 31.5%........age 50 plus.. 59% of sales - thats me!

The Impala satisfies the needs of many across the spectrum but mostly owners over 40 who need a large roomy family sedan that can seat 5 or 6 comfortably. It will continue to do well if they keep it fresh......6 years was too long with the original style 2000-2005 models. The freshening of the 2006 Impala was way overdue.

I personally like some of the retros PT, Bug, 300, Mustang etc.......cudos to those manufactures that have given us something more then the melting pot blandness of whats been on the roads for the past 20 years. These manufacturers took a business chance and it has been successful....If you don't take a chance you don't get a chance! The PT & Bug have sold well and will soon be refreshened. The 300 they can't make them fast enough...The Mustang is a huge hit and the Shelby Cobra GT 500 next year. These Halo cars also bring consumers to the showroom to see these cars and see the other models that the manufactures offer........A WIN WIN situation...The SSR from Chevy is a lame duck too heavy, to expensive, not practical when you can buy a Corvette for a few $ more.

There is a huge segment out there that want the Impala to go RWD in its next format, or revive a Caprice type vehicle. Hopefully Chevy will check the pulse of the consumers and if it is warranted...... DO IT!!
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    ...that the Mustang is bringing others into Ford's showrooms to look at Five Hundreds or Focuses (Foci?), at least based on Ford's results.

Back to the Impala... yes, there is currently a battle inside GM going about the next-gen. Rumors are of a new "Chi" platform for FWD vehicles (high-end replacement for the W-bodies; low-end will be the forthcoming Epsilon2 FWD/AWD vehicles (G6, Malibu, maybe a LaCrosse replacement). There is some discussion of a new RWD platform (cheaper Sigma or Americanized Zeta), rumored to revive the Caprice name...

--Robert
    You seem to have a lot of info on this possible future RWD......I am guessing that the Caprice will be larger then the 2006 Impala, is that the consensus?.....

Your right about the Mustang......it will do OK on its own.
  • llumpirellumpire Member Posts: 5
    I'm in the process of buying 1 or more cars and I research as much as I have time for. The Impala is a car that always catches my eye every time it passes me by. Then I get the flashback of "Oh yeah, it's a FWD. NEVER MIND". As Radar O'Reilly would say, "Wait for it". On the horizon, you hear that GM is bringing in RWD models from its Holden car company in Australia. If you go to holden.com you might get a peak at some future GM models. They seem OK or better for someone who is starving to get back to grandpa's GM loyalty and say good-bye for awhile to European dominance (I have an Audi A4, nice car). The design of the holden's may need to be "AMERICANIZED" taste for sexy, fast and cool. I think we lost our cool trying to make aerodynamic a priority, which is what made all cars to start to look alike.

Personally, I too like a couple of the retros. I've had my dad's Impala and my grandfathers Caprice. Nice roomy rides for those cross country trips. Too much money is being spent by the manufacturer's on the interiors forcing the overall price of cars into outer space. Give me a sound, large, powerful and well-built car. How about those flat bench seats. Cheap to make and plenty of room to stretch out on for all the right reasons.

If the Impala ever goes RWD, and I hear it will soon, then there'll be one less to choose from. Otherwise, I'll wait for the Cadillac DTS to go and I'll be there instead unless someone comes out with an acceptable equivalent. Hopefully, it's before GM and United go bankrupt.
    6 speed auto could be in the 07 from what I have read. I think the 6 speed in the Fusion comes from the joint venture between GM and Ford. Chevy should see an application from this venture soon.

I don't care for RWD though for a 300 hp SS is would be better I suppose. Still, living in the northern climates, I prefer FWD in general.

I'm 36 and well aware of Chevy's heritage and I still prefer the classics to redone retro vehicles. Mustang was well done but in general, BLA. I don't mind classic styling cues, but retro vehicles like the PT don't really do much for me.
    The 6 speed transmission in the Fusion/Milan/Zephyr is from Aisin, a supplier to Toyota. The GM/Ford 6 speed is due in about a year or so..
  • ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    The Impala isn't going RWD soon, if ever. The rumors are that GM is developing a new platform called "Chi" to replace its larger FWD cars, and "Chi" will be FWD/AWD. There are no rumors of any additional RWD Chevrolets, except for possibly a new Camaro, but probably that won't even appear for at least 2 to 4 years.
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    You aren't talking to the same folks that I am :-)

Yes, there are rumors of a new large RWD sedan for Chevy, but we are not talking until 2010-2011 at the earliest. Whether or not this is named Impala or (more likely) Caprice, is yet to be determined... at today's GM, nothing is set in stone until you see the show car (look what happened to Zeta)...

--Robert
    You can probably find some rumors that the next Impala will be made in England out of cream cheese. Rumors, schmoomers.

Reliable information is much harder to come by...
    Thanks for that info. I was wondering why Ford would get first crack at those transmissions.

Personally, I don't care that much but a 5 or 6 speed is what some people want these days and they do have their advantages.
  • frasierdogfrasierdog Member Posts: 128
    "You can probably find some rumors that the next Impala will be made in England out of cream cheese"

What I heard was that they will make it in England using French cream cheese initially, then move the production back to the US using Wisconsin cream cheese.

Ford said that the Wisconsin cream cheese factory just is not ready yet.

I think I will get one of the early production models to get the French cream cheese.
  • llumpirellumpire Member Posts: 5
    Folks, forget about rumors. The facts are that the new replacement Cadillac's came out as RWD. GM themselves have announced that the Deville (DTS) will be RWD very soon. RWD's/AWD's are hitting the marketplace from all manufacturer's just like when FWD was being introduced. The fact is that making cars is dependent upon reusing platforms in order to keep costs under control or making a profit. The fact is that GM is losing money hand over fist, much like Chyrsler use to and United Airlines has. The stock for GM and Ford does not look like a good deal. RWD vehicles can appear on the marketplace much faster than you think if they use the Holden vehicles being built in Australia. This solves two issues of availability and Detroits high cost pension or health plans.

The current trend is horsepower and styling to make cars look unlike each other so much. FWD has limitations as to how much hp you can get.

Don't listen to rumors. Do a head count of the number of FWD's and RWD's two years ago compared to today. Do the same for horsepower. Do the same for body styles. Automakers signal their trends gradually but just like when they changed to so many FWD's your now seeing the beginning of their turnaround.
  • ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    GM has said nothing about the DTS or the Impala becoming RWD. I seriously doubt that either vehicle will be redesigned before 2010. The emphasis for the next few years will be the GMT900 full size trucks and SUV's, the Saturn Aura, the Lambda crossovers, the sub-Theta crossovers, the Lambda minivans, the next generation Cadillac CTS, and the next generation TrailBlazer/Envoy.
    There has been no word from GM on Impalas going forward. All rumors.

I would not be surprised if it stayed FWD at all since most of the sedan world competition is FWD.
  • chuckxchuckx Member Posts: 1
    Well looks like the 06 Impalas are hitting the showroom floors. I had a chance to take one out for a spin today.
    In my opinion, it is a slick car. The styling looks much better in person than any pictures that I've seen to date. It is understated, with clean lines and a little bit of a sporty look. There are a few nicely placed chrome inserts in places around the windows and framing the grill that add a touch of class without being "showy".
    The rims are a bit chunky but they seem to go well with the car. The interior is OK. A little nicer than what you would expect from a Chevy, but not what I would consider fantastic. I absolutely hate the look of the new radio. Looks like an 80's throwback with the green lights. However, it has some awesome features.
    The model that I drove had a 6 disk in-dash CD changer that will play MP3's. Very nice considring that you can fit a ton of MP3's on a single disk. It also has an aux jack so you can plug in an MP3 player. Add XM and the Bose Premium sound system and it has everything that you could ask for. The steeringwheel controls are well placed and functional. It has a button that will turn the volume off when taking a call on youor mobile phone. The trunk is HUGE. Plenty of room for 2-3 sets of golf clubs and a small cooler. The back seat has enough room for 2 adults, but I wouldn't consider it "roomy". I had the driver seat pretty far back and was still able to sit behind it without my knees touching the back of the driver seat.

Now for the good stuff, the drive. Wow! This car has zip. As with all FWD cars there is a bit of tourque steer when you step on it, but it isn't as bad as I thought it woud be. When you step on it, it goes. I zipped around traffic with ease and was surprised at how fast I was going when I finally looked down at the speedometer. (80 in a 45 yikes) It handled well while cornering, but I wish it was just a little stiffer. Freeway driving was a breeze. It has great passing ability. Again, I was surprised at how fast I was going when flying past cars. This car has more than enough power for most people and certainly has enough zip for aggressive drivers such as myself.
    All-in-all, it is a great car for the price. Sticker for one with sunroof, XM radio, homelink, and Bose premium sounnd was around $31k.

Comparisons to other cars I've recently test drove:
    05 Grand Prix GXP: Handled a little better than the SS and has the same power. The interior is too crammed. I'm not sure what the specs are, but it felt a bit too tight for me and the back seat was noticably smaller than the SS. Also, didn't have the aux jack for the radio. The styling is a bit old. This GP body style has been around for a while and it doesn't do much for me.
    05 Charger RT: HUGE in size compared to the SS. I loved the RWD. Great, powerful engine, good handling. However, they sticker at $36 and don't have homelink, or an aux jack for the radio. Also, they want a fortune for a 3 year lease. (you can get a Caddy STS for about the same lease price) CRAZY!

For the money, you can't beat the Impala SS. I'd encourage anyone looking for a fast sedan to take one out for a drive. You will be pleasently surprised.
    I didn't take the SS I looked at for a drive (I should have in retrospect but didn't have a lot of time) but I agree with you that the interior is nice but not spectacular. That said, this is a Chevy and not a Caddy so I wasn't expecting it to be spectacular. The MP3 plug in is coming for all GM cars and Impala is one of the first to get it. Great idea, I could plug in my 5G Rio Carbon in for long trips.

I don't think this car can be beat by anything on the street in terms of bang for the buck. A loaded 303 hp sedan for around $30K, amazing. My dealer has an SS at the front, wonder how fast it will be sold.
    You said: 05 Charger RT: HUGE in size compared to the SS.

The Specs for each are ~104 cubic feet of passenger space.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Certainly a big improvement on the 05 Impala. Interior looks equal to the Ford 500 but not up with the Avalon or (apparently from pictures) the Azera. This looks approximately like the improvements made to the Cavalier in 1995, not a completely new car but a rather large change to an existing platform.

This is based on a rather quick look inside a parked car. Didn't even sit in it.
  • 1954boomer1954boomer Member Posts: 6
    I have yet to see one in person, only have viewed it online, so it is hard to comment based on just photographs I've seen online. I do agree that the interior is nice, however I just get excited about the exterior changes for '06. In my mind the exterior is just "plain vanilla," Not that there is anything wrong with vanilla, mind you, it's just that in my opinion there isn't much distinction now between the new Chevy and many other cars---especially with regard to the front and rear tail lights.

I currently have an '02, and while it took some "warming up" on my part to get used to the huge tail lights, now I kind of like them, and they're distinctive. You can tell right away you're behind (or in front) of an Impala, and that's what I grew to like about the 00-05 Impalas.

I just think the Impala has become too "mainstreamed," and has subsequently lost its retro slant. I think Chevy should have kept (or perhaps even increased) hints of Impalas of years gone by. Now, there's very little in the way of reminincing of the Impala namesakes
  • jae5jae5 Member Posts: 1,206
    RH2,

Correct. The RWD won't be here until the 2010 - 2011 time-frame; was initially 08, then pushed to 09, current '10 - 11. It won't be called Impala or Caprice. That's all I can say.

Haven't heard too much on the Holden Buick that's to make its way over here. Not sure about the "Zeta-Lite" (or whatever it's being called today - name changes every 8 hours it seems). That thing's been changed so many times and the program turned on/off more times than I can count. :confuse:

Even when the show car comes out, it's still not set in stone.

Ed Cole, Harley Earl, GM needs you.
    The Impala uses LZE 3500 is a flexible fuel engine (it can use either plain gasoline or E85) and includes continuously variable valve timing on both intake and exhaust valves. It has a cast iron block and aluminum heads. Output is 210 hp (156.5 kW) at 5800 RPM and 220 ft.lbf (298 Nm) at 2800 RPM. They call it a GM High Value engine.

The Lacrosse uses the 3.6 L (3564 cc) LY7 version was introduced in the 2004 Cadillac CTS sedan. It has a 10.2:1 compression ratio and produces 255 hp (190 kW) and 252 ft·lbf (342 N·m). The bore is 3.70 in (94.0 mm) and the stroke is 3.37 in (85.6 mm). In some applications, including the Buick LaCrosse and base Holden Commodore, the LY7 has an ouput of 235 to 240 hp (175 to 179 kW) and 230 ft·lbf (312 N·m). They call it a GM High Feature engine.

Any thought on which is better from a reliablity standpoint? I also wonder why GM doesn't use the same engines in both car. You would think its cheaper/more profitable to have only 1 version of a similar size engine.
    Cheaper and more profitable only works if the cars sell. The reason the same engine is not used is simple....marketing. Whether it is good marketing or bad marketing remains to be seen.
    I saw 2 Impalas on the road this weekend (both LTs I think). The cars are on the lots.

When is this forum moving to the sedan section?
    Took out an SS for a drive.....white with black leather interior....I looked the car over prettly close, my impressions

-Seats are firmer more padding used. Interior materials are better, seats could still be a little longer for thigh support
    -Gauges are more modern.(little smaller) information centre is in with the speedometer. outside temp etc.....no gauge package with oil pressure/ampere like on the 04 and 05SS
    -the rest of the dashboard is ok but plain. black interior looks richer then the two tone gray thats offered.
    -heater/AC controls are confusing, and small compared to our current Impalas
    -exterior mirrors are smaller
    -glove box a little deeper but still narrow 20% larger
    -there is an airbag light thats on all the time on the passenger side dashboard. when someone over 40 pounds sits in the seat the light activates + (positive) when a child, package etc on the passenger seat under 40 pounds a light comes on x ....(negative) get your kid into the back seat!
    -Back seat headroom is down a bit.....I'm 5 11" and my hair touched the roof liner. In my 01 LS I have a little more headroom.
    -the rear leg room is about the same as previous except there are two bolsters at the back bottom of each of the front seats making foot room tight.on the sides....don't know what thats all about we didn't have that on our 00-05 Impalas
    -front windshield seems a little smaller.
    -trunk is a little wider inside, the trunk opening is about the same. and the same depth as previous.
    -trunk lid has a liner inside like the engine compartment
    -5.3 V8 fits in fine. same airbox/aircleaner set up as 3800 and just as difficult to change the filter for those that do their own
    -wheel wells are finished and enclosed better then our previous Impalas.
    -performance, the car is peppy and with the windows down can hear the throaty exhaust when accelerating.
    -handling is improved and absorbs road noise better then the current LS
    -car is quiter inside and the ride is very good, feels tight. I thought it would be harsher.
    The SS is about $3200 more then a comparatively equipped LTZ, that has the 3900 and 17" wheels..

Now I am waiting for the next NEW/or UPDATED Impala!!

Overall a modern update that should have happened two years ago....6model years with the same old/same old is too long
    The new GM program to replace the Employee price program doesn't appear to be that good of a deal.

Its just $1000 off the MSRP which is the same as the $1000 already announced incentive for the 06 Impala.

I was hoping to get the $1000 incentive and also deal with the dealer to get closer to the Invoice price. Maybe I will have to wait until all the 05s are gone.
    So you are saying that dispite this being a better car over all, you don't think it's good enough?
    Where did I say I don't think its good enough? I gave my honest opinion..read my post.........The mirrors are smaller, (you tell me they are bigger) the back headroom is not as good as before, tell me its not... no gauge package as on the 04's and 05s. tell me I am wrong!.. foot room in the back is tighter check it out!.and i said a lot of positive things about the car.....a lot of changes some good some I don't like. Should everyone on this forum just say positive things only to make you happy?.....why don't you resond to post #438 1954 boomer, he likes retro......but you won't! You probably don't even own an Impala. I am laughing.

Several posts back you state you don't like retros !!...thats fine some do!, but its interesting you are on the HHR board telling everyone the nice things about the HHR and its RETRO!! from 1949! and you don't like retros...........I read the Jim Kenzie article on the weekend. he says a lot of postive things about the car, there will be other writers who will point out not so positive things about the car, and that will make you mad......time to move on Vanman1 your boring me!
  • genmtrfangenmtrfan Member Posts: 78
    I've read many different posts on several forums that Vanman has written and he doesn't deserve that remark. From reading his post, I think he was asking you a question, not intending to criticize your remarks. I've seen Vanman criticize GM cars when he thinks it's warranted, and his remarks are usually short, to the point, and insightful. Vanman doesn't have to drive an Impala to have permission to comment on them.
    Vanman1 shouldn't comment on (my comments of the 2006 Impala SS) until he has driven an Impala SS. I spent two hours with the car. I drove the car I voiced my opinion, its an improvement which is long overdue. (read my post) its the top of the line Impala. Fresh new look, but not stunning. If he drives it and loves everything about it so be it!! If no one ever voiced their comments about making improvements (like me and a few others on Impala forums) Chevy would think everything is alright and we would still be driving the previous model with no improvements! Some people always go with the flow. I don't take sides, I give my honest opinion. Dont like it, don't read it!
    I'm sorry you took such great offence to my question?? I was merely wondering if you thought the car was not what you expected or hoped for?

:confuse: :confuse: :confuse:

You mention lots of good points (and some bad points) but then come to the end saying you are "now waiting for the next new/or updated Impala" and this car "should have happened 2 years ago" so I was trying to clarify your opinion.

I have actually sat in the 06 Impala and I spoke with the salesman for a few minutes which I got my oil changed. I didn't realize I would have to drive it before I asked you a question.
    Thanks for your support. It was just a question, nothing more? I agree with many of "charts" comments actually.

New Impala is certainly not perfect. I would say the styling is a bit too conservative and the wood inside the base models is not the best looking IMO. I would prefer no wood actually.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Let's knock off making any more. If you don't like someone's opinion, please skip it. Negative comments about vehicles are welcome along with the positive comments, and we appreciate every member's opinion about the 06 Impala. Having a variety of opinions posted will help potential shoppers make their own decisions. Comments are welcome whether a member has driven the vehicle or not!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I probably came on kind of strong about my comments, no personal attack intended.

I believe the 2006 Impala SS will do well. We all have wish lists of what a car should look like or offer. I know the 00-05 Impala's had some problems early on. The cracked welds on the cradle, the warped brake rotors, the intake manifold leak, and a few of transmission problems. Over time these issues were delt with. For years auto manufactures seldom listened to customers complaints unless safety issues. Because competition is so important today, the manufactures are listening and changes are being made. I was happy to see Chevy re-introduce the Impala name plate again back in 2000 I have owned several Impalas including 2 sixties SS cars. I do believe with any car name plate there is always room for upgrades, or improvements, not necessarily major changes.

A cars appearance to (me) is very important. Many are just happy with reliable transportation, and thats fine there are lower models of the Impala to satisfy their needs. This new SS offers amenities that previous Impalas didn't offer and some amenities were deleted. I know GM is in a financial mess and making a product to satisfy most everyones desires is impossible, but quality & reliability have improved substantially. In Jim Kenzies report regarding the Impala he like many others compares the Impala to the Accord/Camry. The exterior dimensions of these cars are actually smaller then the Malibu which should be their competion. He also stated that the new Impala offers 4 wheel disc brakes on all models. 00-05 Impalas all had disc brakes. The new Impala seems to fit nicely between the Avalon, 300, Charger & Five Hundred even though some of these vehicles offer RWD (Ford AWD) The new Impala will be the leader in the (bang for your $$ market) FWD family sedans.

When I said I was waiting for the next Impala, it was just a comment to say "well seen that" whats coming next. I'm always looking ahead. Will the next generation Impala be larger, RWD, or carry on with its current platform. More then likely this 06 style will be with us for 3-4 years (I guess)

In closing, there were a lot of very good improvements in this car. I pointed out a few things that changed that didn't have to change, thats all. I really like the larger exterior mirrors that the 00-05 models have, and the gauge cluster that offered oil pressure/ampere information (the 04 & 05 SS cars had). Just constructive criticism. I will probably buy an 07 SS and a few minor changes will probably be made to keep it fresh and the sales coming.
    I think Camcords are a main competitor even though they may be closer in size to the Malibu. People will cross shop them because of the similar price levels. 4 banger Camcords start where the base Impalas do and I think Impala offers much more value and space at that higher volume entry point. The LTZ competes with the V6 Camcords and the SS has a market almost all to it's own. The only possible contender there is a Hemi powered 300/Charger.

I'm just happy Chevy finally has a good midsize sedan again. Neither the Lumina nor the current Impala impressed me at all. This 2006 finally has me looking at a Chevy to replace my 2000 Intrigue in a couple of years.
  • 1954boomer1954boomer Member Posts: 6
    Well, perhaps when the first '06 Impalas hit the dealerships, the new styling changes will grow on me more. That happens. When I first got a glimpse of the 2000 Impala on the highway five years ago I just didn't like the rear tail lights, but eventually they grew on me. Who knows...
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    I was driving by a Chev dealer yesterday in between appointments and I popped in and asked for a drive of a black SS parked out front.

I was impressed. Power was more than I imagined and compared to my 04 Grand Prix GT. The interior quality, fit and finish was as good as anything I have seen and even better than my GP. The trunk has the gas shock mounted system for maximum trunk space which I think is a must and the radio has a MP3 player input jack which was a nice touch, I think the radio itself played MP3s also.

My disappointments were styling a little which I thought was not as nice as my Grand Prix. That said, it's not a bad looking car at all, nothing weird. I also thought the wood trimmed models had too much of it. I preferred the stainless steel look of the SS. Anyone know if this is available in other trims?

Overall, I think the car is a winner. I don't see how anyone can go midsize shopping and not take a look at this car. I will take a look next time though a new Grand Prix could sway me back to Pontiac.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    I think I paid less for my Malibu Maxx last February ($16K for a $22K car) than most of the employee pricing.

GM is trying to slowly transition away from big discounts, but new introduction time is never a good time to dicker on cars, wait until January or February. I think cutting the discounts and list price will make things seem more competitive. People like me who expect a six grand discount on a base car will take a bit of convincing that GM is serious this time.

The same thing is going on with the Sonata, but IMHO, GM dealers are a little higher on the reputability scale than Hyundai dealers... or maybe it's more a matter of having humility ground into them over the last decade or so.
    Not sold on it. I have seen better deals on some vehicles than what they are offering now.

Whatever, it gets people in I suppose. I like the new lower MSRPs, good move for GM. Impala pricing looks great now compared to Toyota Camry.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    Checked out an Impala today. Dealer had gotten two and earlier one sold. This one black with tan interior -middle model. Just dropped off the truck last evening. I predict it will be sold before they get it prepped. The dash has a foreign car flair to it. Tailights will take some getting used to. I still like the round ones with the solid cover where others have plastic all the way across. But the round lights say Chevy.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,