Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

VW Jetta TDI

Comments

• Options
    buckeyelarrybuckeyelarry Member Posts: 15
    Thank you - I need to ask some more questions of dealer. It may be the sales person just not informed.

He did say 100K miles - but when looking at manual posted on internet, was at 80K.

Best answer woudl be if VW did go to a chain, this eliminates the concern.
  • Options
    helllajenniferhelllajennifer Member Posts: 2
    Ok I've known Jetta's have problems with the oil pans sitting very low to the ground and getting cracked easily and leaking oil and such. I always have problems with this. Well last month my car was serviced for a cracked oil pan with a small dripping leak at the VW dealership, and it cost about $600 for a new pan. This weekend I drove over a small dip in the road and completly ripped the oil pan, oil was gushing everywhere. I open my trunk and there is the plastic skid protecter from the dealership sititng in my trunk with the nuts and bolts in a little baggie! :mad: Wasn't the dealership supposed to put that on the car after they repair the oil pan the first time??? There was obviously a messup at the mechanic and I want the dealership to pay for this.
    I know it's just dinky plastic but I think it would have helped a little bit in protecting the oil pan from driving over a dip. I have no idea why it was in my trunk instead of on my car so I called the dealership and told them. Isn't this a legal case for small claims court?? :lemon:
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Isn't this a legal case for small claims court??

If the dealer does not accept responsibility. Yes I would small claims them. Worth the filing fee, if nothing else to get their name in the paper. You have a chronic problem of judging dips etc. Get the heavy aluminum skid plate.
  • Options
    bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    That plastic "bellypan" is only intended to direct airflow to improve cooling-air thru the radiator. As a side-benifet, it keeps the engine-bay cleaner than automobiles without a bellypan.

HOWEVER: It will not protect the oilpan from frost-heaves, stones, ice-chunks and almost anything else on the road. If you are suggesting that the the dealership is somhow liable for a damaged oilpan because that thin plastic airflow-director was not installed... your argument is almost as thin as the plastic belllypan. 8-)
  • Options
    helllajenniferhelllajennifer Member Posts: 2
    ha i know. i was pretty upset when it happened. now the guys at the dealership insist on giving me a good price to fix my car so i'm happy ;
  • Options
    pusterracingpusterracing Member Posts: 186
    "He did say 100K miles - but when looking at manual posted on internet, was at 80K."

Alright Buckeyelarry,

I'm going to confuse you even more :surprise:

In my manual ('04 Jetta GLS TDI) in Section 1.1 2004 Volkswagen Maintenance, on page 21 it reads

"Service at 90,000 miles....

Timing Belt: Replace (TDI engine only)...."

So, according to my Owner's Manual, the scheduled interval for Timing Belt Replacement is 90K miles (or about every 3.5 years for me)
  • Options
    pusterracingpusterracing Member Posts: 186
    "I know this probably has been asked before but I'm new to this board.

What kind of mileage are owners of the new Jetta TDI getting? I've heard from other folks that after it's broken in their seeing 50 mph highway or even slightly better. Has anyone here experienced that? "

Yes, I have an 04 Jetta GLS TDI 5M that I purchased new in April of 04 and have hand calculated every take (I'm a little OCD about it).

It is now almost 2 years since I purchased it and I have just under 53K miles on it.

I, now, AVERAGE 45MPG in mixed driving.
    I Average 53MPG on the hwy @ ~67mph.
    I average 49MPG on the hwy @ ~75mph.
    The absolute Best was 54mpg over a 230miles stretch @ 58mph, but that is not the norm, I was driving to acheive fuel economy.

I average 42mpg city.
    My WORST was 36mpg in 100% city, in snow and alot of idling.

My figures are WELL ABOVE EPA estimates and they have gotten slightly better with mileage. BUT to get this kind of mileage you have to know how to drive for fuel economy. AND having a 5 speed manual really helps.

ALAS, tomorrow is my last full day with my Jetta, I traded it Yesterday on a minivan (I couldn't hold out any longer for VW to bring over the Touran or the Sharan with a diesel.......or even a full sized minivan with a diesel...or chrysler or anybody....I just wanted a diesel minivan.... :cry: )....oh, as I was saying....I traded it and I take delivery of my new minivan Saturday Morning. So instead of being a three diesel family (03 Ford F350 CC KR PSD, 04 Jetta GLD TDI, 05 Passat GLS TDI) We'll just be a two diesel and one *cough*gasoline*cough* family.
  • Options
    The recommended timing belt replacement intervals on the TDI engine has been going UP over the past 10 years. PLUS, the automatic xmission has historically been harder on the timing belt... so the replacement interval for automatic xmission has been shorter.

Then, in about 2002... there was a change to the LONG LIFE belt (and associated better tensionor and stuff.)

Of course, starting with the new "Pumpe Duse" engine, the design is COMPLETELY different. So new recommendations were published.

BOTTOM LINE: You are ALL correct... it is just that you are all looking at the recommendations for different years, xmissions and TDI engines.
  • Options
    tuppsvwtuppsvw Member Posts: 1
    i also have a 2002 jetta tdi and i am having the same problem. i was wondering if you ever figured out what was wrong with your car? i had an engine code of glow plug/heater cylinder 2, so i changed all of my glow plugs and my car still wont start. the last time it started i backed out of my driveway and pulled back in cause i forgot something shut it off and now it wont start. if someone could please help

thanks
  • Options
    tommyltommyl Member Posts: 6
    I own a 2003 VW Jetta TDI and I want to change my wheels. I am going to keep the stock steel wheels for my snows. I want to upgrade a size or two but I drive to NYC everyday and don't want to be worried about bending wheels and sacrificing smooth ride, does anybody have any suggestions on the best size for overall ride and longevity. Or should I just stay with the current size set up of 195/65/15? Thanks
  • Options
    j_jonesj_jones Member Posts: 9
    As you probably already guessed (a newbie in here). I has just received a notice from VW or the dealer to perform a maintenance on my 2005 Jetta Pkg 1 ( not a TDI or GLI), @ 10K miles. I have got about 9600 miles rightnow..When i bought this car last decemeber, it has got about 4096 miles and they performed a maintenance on it before I got it from the dealer. well, should I take this car to the dealer ?(i know they charge exorbitant ridiculous prices) for little things. OR does anyone know of other options on where to take it to. If i have the right tool, I won't mind DIY at my apartment. I checked on VW.com what to change when I take it in, it only listed 5 things to look for on the 10K maintenance schedule.

Please if anyone know of a good place that charges less or a best option to avoid these dealers...I'd really appreciate the info.

Thanks.
    Jimmy
  • Options
    Just a quick question... I just want to change the oil, replace it and the Engine filter. Is the engine filter same the oil filter? I'm sort of confused here.. Could u please tell me what and what comes after what.

1. get the oil changer unit here : http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=45403 or http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?resultCt=1&js- pStoreDir=wm51&catalogId=10001&productId=81053&keyword=3704574&y=18&x=13&storeId- =10001&ddkey=SiteSearch
    which one do you recommend?

2. follow directions n suck out the old oil.

3. which motol oil should i use to replace the old one? and how to I replace it? using the oil changer unit I used to remove the old one?

4. How do I remove the filter and replace it? Where can I get a new filter and what kind? Engine or Oil filter?

I'm talkin about a VW 2005 Jetta 2.5 engine (gas engine)...

you also mentioned a snowscreen, this might sound stupid but what is a snowscreen?
    I really don't want to visit the dealer... I'm not about to add to their profits.

Any suggestions will really help.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Not all dealerships charge the high prices you mention. My dealership has been very reasonable. (cost of parts competitive to lowest prices on internet.)

HOWEVER: You should use your telephone to call around to determine prices. DO NOT just ask for the cost of a 10K mile service.... instead, be very specific about what work you want performed.

If you decide to do it yourself....
    The oil filters can be found at Wallmart.
    Make CERTAIN you use the correct engine oil. The engine oil for your pumpe-duse engine is NOT available at Wallmart (nor much of anywhere else in North America.)
  • Options
    micpat84micpat84 Member Posts: 1
    hi, i just bought a 2003 vw jetta and had a question about he hood. on the driver side there seems to be a gap between the hood and where the side of the car meet. there is more of a gap on the driver side than on the passenger side. the car has not been in any accidents and it has 44k miles on it. it this normal? It is still covered under the manucfacturer's warranty. i can take a pic and post it. i don't know if there is a problem or i am noticing every little thing because it is a new car. thanks
  • Options
    widow1widow1 Member Posts: 39
    Just bought a 2006 MK V Jetta TDI in a manual tranny. I had the dealer find me one w/o any option package so I have wheel covers rather than alloys. Was thinking of buying an aftermarket 15" alloy wheel and tire set. 15" tires were standard on the MK IV Jetta instead of the now original equipment 205/55 16 on the new Jetta. Thought maybe the narrower 195/65 15 might improve the fuel efficiency 2-3 mpg. Has anybody tried this ? Any thoughts on the success of such a strategy ? I've had opinions thrown at me in both directions.
  • Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

For starters,you might wish to play around with the above calculator. So for example the tire sizes you mentioned are pretty close in overall REVS/MILE. But this is only the START!! :) There are LOTS of factors that can accurately and inaccurately affect/effect fuel mileage.

So a bit off topic, I have the 195/65/15's on steel rims as oem. The tires are inexpensive in comparison to larger sizes and infinitely available. For what I use the vehicle and after much research would not think to go to the 205/55/16 route. One reason? I operate this Jetta TDI on acknowledged some of the most worse roads in the country. The extra aspect ratio (65 vs 55) serves as a cushion. Take off's in the 195/65/15 sizes are readily available complete with oem rubber. So if you find you don't like them, they are pretty easy to sell, and you haven't lost an arm and a leg.

Also the oem sachs struts and shocks take a load of vilification. Baring strut/shock leakage in my case, it will easily go 100,000 miles. Have they fallen off a bit? Of course they ALL do! Also the oem GY LSH's have taken vilification. Again in my case for what I use the vehicle they will be good to go easily to 100,000 miles.
  • Options
    widow1widow1 Member Posts: 39
    Will tinker around with the calculator. Thanks, ruking1 for the helpful suggestions. Where would you suggest I look for takeoffs in 15" Jetta wheels now that the MK IV Jetta that used them as oem is no more ? I had found on discounttiredirect.com a replica of the 15" 5 spoke alloy wheel that was oem on the MK IV Jetta GLS TDI. Only $388 for a set of four with free shipping. They are advertised for the 2006 Jetta TDI and the bolt/offset pattern has been changed to the 5 x 112mm spacing on the 2006 instead of the 5x 100 mm on the MK IV. Any suggestions as to a 15" tire for the TDI ?
  • Options
    Ops, mistake on my part. I had assumed the bolt spacings were the same.
  • Options
    medic0893medic0893 Member Posts: 1
    My 02 Jetta TDI started smoking a little. I asked and someone suggested I change the MAF. I did... Now it smokes alot. I had it to a mechanic that changed the timing belt and tensioners, no surprize,,, it still smokes. Took it to a dealer, three times they finally said everything is "in tolerance". Bull****! It rough idles, especially when cold, gets lousy mileage (39) and smokes. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated...
  • Options
    Hi B--

I think I'll do that.. I'll call them up tomorrow and find out how much the oil change & filter will cost me. Nothing else rightnow. I don't want to have heart attack on car that is less that 6months old. Just returned from Walmart too and they didn't have the filter & besides, I have stopped by two shops already and I think you're right they don't seem to have the VW 500 00 or 500 01 oil. That sort of leaves me w/little or no alternatives. When I checked on VW what to check, it was @ 10K miles and these were the critical stuff listed:
    * Engine Oil - change
    * Engine Filter - change
    * Windshield Washer Fluid - check level
    * Automatic Shift Lock - check operation
    * Brake System - check damage/leaks, pad thickness, fluid level
    * Wheels - rotate from front to rear

And I think the first two are the most important and the rest can take a line.

Thanks for the response.

Ooh and why do they call those VW Jetta tires "High Performance tires" and they only last 40-50K? I just don't understand the concept behind these technology of bridgestone and the tires are so expensive that I almost say i'll cut my arm and leg to buy just 1.

-jones
  • Options
    Consider yourself LUCKY if you get 40,000 miles out of "high performance" tires. The rubber compound that provides "high performance" traction tends to sacrifice itself rather quickly.

That is why I will NEVER EVER buy an automobile with those "oversize" tires (> 15 inch) The tire makers are asking a premium for anything over 15inch wheelsize. Most people are not aware of the DRAWBACKS of having less rubber between the wheel and the road. There is a reason that tires have been 14 or 15 inch for over 30 years!

I reciently read an article in "Consumer Reports" magazine about these oversized tires and the unexpected cost that many folks are encountering. Apparently, most folks do not consider long-term maintenance costs when they select an automobile.

Some people beleive that the tire-manufacturers are encuraging the automakers to put the >15 inch tires on new cars by giving them a good deal on the tires.... the tire-manufacturers know they will have captive buyers when the original tires start to wear out.

BTW: The 15 inch tires on my Jetta were less than $90 each for some very good tires. (The same-brand tire in 17-inch are well over $140 each )
  • Options
    eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    tommyl, the 03 jetta will be fine with 16s - some nontdi jettas came from the factory with 16s so you know that size fits fine. same size as the 16s on the 05 passat tdi i think. as you infer, for punishing city traffic especially, going to 17s or larger is not wise.
  • Options
    dncarr1dncarr1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

i have a 2006 jetta tdi that just had it's first service. the indicator light began a count down before it became due. the dealer was not able to figure out how to reset it after 2 trips. can anyone help me reset this so it doesn't drive me nuts every time i turn it on?
  • Options
    Well, I have got 16s too on my 2.5 Jetta. One of them popped out last week. Called like 5 places and prices ranged from $199.00 / per tire to $134. Finally I was able to get one for $100 online. Well, I read that the high performance tire are meant to make the car look more luxurious and they also hold the road better. I am considering changing all my tires from High performance to something else..(i don't know yet). Once they all wear out I'll make my decision. Any ideas which one to switch to?

Thanks for the info and suggestions b.
  • Options
    Yeah acutually the numbers are overwhelmingly in favor of the 14/15 in tires!!!

Using the example of "(The same-brand tire in 17-inch are well over $140 each )" with luck getting 40,000 miles,; my oem tires 195/65/15 (GY LS-H) at $70 per, will (with NO alignments 95 per or balancing 6-15 per and 5 tire rotations I do myself at 10,000 mile intervals) will easily get 100,000 miles.

So over 100,000 miles the 40k miles/ 140 each 17 in tires will cost 2.5 x 140 = 350 PER corner vs 70.!!!???? In the same period of time you will have a min of 2.5 balances at 12-15 or 37.50 vs 15. I am also assuming one will get an alignment with each new set of tires for 95 x 2.5 or 237.50 or an extra 59.38 per corner

So the numbers are (350+37.50+59.38=)

$446.88 vs $ 70.00 (ok if I need an alignment at 100,000 add 23.75 per corner for 93.75. :(:)

So the cost per mile 100,000 miles=.0044688 vs .0007.
  • Options
    Smoking on a diesel engine means "Too much fuel for the
    amount of air in the combustion chamber"

First of all.... CLEAN THE SNOWSCREEN! A plugged snowscreen is the #1 reason that a TDI is not getting enough air. (it should be cleaned annually)

Since you did not mention any starting issues, I would then suggest that you check the vanes in the turbocharger. If you have not been applying FULL THROTTLE accelleration regularly, the vanes are most likely sticking. This could cause the turbocharger to not shove enough air into the engine.

If the above checks out OK, then you need your car connected to a computer to check the injection timing. Since you already changed the timing belt -- the fuel-pump is suspect.

BTW: are you CERTAIN that you installed a TDI MAF? The MAF for the 2.0L gas engine looks exactly the same as TDI MAF but can make smoke. (GAS MAF is much less expensive than TDI MAF... some places sell GAS MAF as a TDI one... DO NOT BE FOOLED!)
  • Options
    sean9sean9 Member Posts: 82
    I am not sure that ALL Jetta's come from the factory with the same set of rubber on them. Maybe this differs from a TDI to a gaser? Everyone seems to have mentioned these high performance Bridgestones on 16" rims. My new '06 TDI came with Michelins 16". I sure as hell hope i get more than 40,000 out of these tires. What is the best tire to run on these cars without burning up the bank account? Or putting on 15" rims.
    I think the look of the 16" makes a night and day difference to the look of the car. Would never go with 15's. But everyone has their personal preference. Looks vs. Practicality. :D
  • Options
    ksieversksievers Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2006 TDI Jetta yesterday, and the dealer there, who is very convincingly an honest and good guy, said exactly the same thing. I feel sure this is correct.
  • Options
    csheehycsheehy Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I have a 2004 Jetta TDI wagon. I have been back and forth to the dealer for the following problem: when I turn the key to the glow plug, a vibrating/rattle sound comes from about the gas tank (so, I think- fuel pump). VW, under warranty, replaced the "tandem fuel pump" but said that was at the front of the car-engine. The rattle/vibrate sound is still there. Isn't there a fuel pump in the gas tank-like a vacuum?- plastic lines that go up to the fuel filter?? I am confused and I can't get a striaight answer. Where (Located on the car) is the "tandem fuel pump" and the replaced "fuel/vacuum pump" that the VW invoice states has been replaced? - Much thanks to anyone who can help.
  • Options
    First of all there is no "GAS TANK" on a TDI... get used to using the term "fuel tank". The term "fuel" can be used when describing almost any vehicle.

To answer your question... there is a pump in the fuel tank that feeds fuel up to the fuel filter. You did not specify which TDI engine you have (pumpe duse?) and the fuel-handling is different depending on which engine you have.... but in any case, that part of the fuel handling is under the hood and not at the rear of the vehicle.

NOW: Please tell us why you think this sound is a "problem"? Does it affect the operation of the vehicle? Can you even hear it while the engine is running?
  • Options
    pruzinkpruzink Member Posts: 112
    Yes, there is another fuel pump in the tank on an 04 PD TDI Jetta. I have seen a few posts at TDI club with people who have had this pump fail. In both cases, the pump started making noises prior to it failing. If it does fail, your engine will not run (I wasn't sure if the camshaft driven fuel pump portion of the tandem pump would be able to keep enough fuel going to the PD injectors, but I guess not). If your lift pump is noisy, odds are that it will fail soon.
  • Options
    By upgrading a size or two, I assume that you mean going to a 16" or 17" rim with a wider lower profile tire? Just be aware that if you do this that you will take a hit with fuel economy. I guess you will get better grab going around turns at higher speeds, but everything comes with a cost. Also, lower profile tires will not absorb the energy from going over bumps as well. My own suggestion would be to stick with the stock size.
  • Options
    Have you changed your air filter and cleaned your snowscreen? Your smoking problem sounds like too much fuel and not enough air. Another easy thing to try is buying a can of lubro molly "diesel purge" (you run the car off of the product until you use it all, it cleans your injectors). There are some good posts on tdiclub with pictures that show how it is done (basically you disconnect the hoses at your fuel filter to feed your injector pump and hook up the fuel rail return back to the can). I would also look on TDI club to see if there are any members in your area with VAgcom. The IQ (Injection Quantity) setting in vagcom can be used to bias your fuel injected up or down, alot of peope make adjustments to this with vagcom to solve problems.
  • Options
    called the VW dealer sometimes last week and got a quote for just an oil change. Luckily just to change the oil + the filter will only cost me about $37.90 (at most $40 + tax). Not that bad after all.
  • Options
    Here is a good thread with a bunch of posts with people that had their in tank lift pump on PD TDI vehicles fail.
    "http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=134924"
  • Options
    gregsfcgregsfc Member Posts: 1
    Running the exhaust back throught the system is called EGR (exhaust gas reciculation), and is one of the conventional means for reducing nitrogen oxides (NOx), but this is not why VW has to redesign their diesel engines. In fact the TDI, which uses unit cylinder injection (pumpe duse) instead of common rail was designed specifically for low sulfur diesel fuel for their cars in Europe. Even with advanced NOx reducing techniques, EGR will probably still be required. Many truck engine manufacturers have announced that they must still use EGR in combination with new technology to meet the new emissions standards, so I expect car engines will too.

The problem for VW is new Euro 5 (2008) and American Tier 2 tailpipe emissions regs (2007). These new regs will require the installation of particulate traps for Europe and particulate traps and some kind of advanced NOx reducing devices that are just now being developed for the U.S. Problem is that VW cannot control this equipment with computers using unit injection, and they must redesign their whole fleets with commonrail injection.

Even with the new design, VW will struggle trying to meet the outlandishly strict limits on NOx in the U.S. While Daimler-Chrysler has a system called "Blue-Tec", that uses exhaust treatment systems that will permit their diesels to be fifty-state legal, this is expensive technology. Applying this technology to cars like the Jetta and Golf that are marketed to the lower-middle class will be a difficult economic delimma. Right now, you can get a TDI diesel for $1,000 more than a 2.5 and get 40% better fuel economy. With all this pollution equipment, they may add as much a premium as hybrid technology.

We can thank our EPA, who in their wisdom, have decided to require diesels to go from 1.0 gram per mile for NOx to .2 gram per mile without a cost-friendly technological means to do so. Never mind the fact that diesels emit fewer carbon monoxides, hydrocarbons, and carbon dioxides than average gasoline cars. Never mind that diesels average 35% better fuel economy than gasoline counterparts. Never mind that all diesel engines can accept biodiesel without engine modification and has the highest energy content of any alternative fuel. Never mind the fact that biodiesel in its pure form will only reduce fuel economy five to ten percent versus ethanol which can reduce fuel economy up to 30% in a vehicle that already uses 30% more fuel. And never mind the fact that Europeans choose the diesel option 50% of the time over gas, because of their superior fuel economy and superior torque, while America continues to pretend like the technology does not exist.

In essence, the EPA is giving diesel cars the "death penalty" for a while in the U.S., just when the opportunity to bring them with ULSD fuel just became available. Sure, we'll see diesels in 2007, but they'll be in the high margin vehicles: SUVs and luxury sedans, i.e Mercedes Benz.
  • Options
    I could not have said it better. We are getting screwed by the people that are supposed to look out for us.

Time to revamp the EPA & CARB.
  • Options
    jkinzeljkinzel Member Posts: 735
    gagrice, I agree.

I believe the EPA and CARB have increased our consumption and need for imported oil and done very little to clean the air. They have done everything possible to stifle the use of highly efficient diesel and promote poor performing ethanol like it’s going to free the world.
    And this flex car stuff. Use E85 and loose 25% efficiency??
    Let’s look at this using a gallon of gas as a benchmark.

On a gallon of diesel/bio diesel I can go 28 miles @ 40% more efficient.
    On a gallon of gas I can go 20 miles. (Benchmark)
    On a gallon of E85 gas I can go 15 miles @ 25% less efficient

So under the US plan (EPA, CARB) I go from 28MPG diesel to 15MPG E85.
    I’m loosing 13 miles per gallon, I’m increasing my use of oil and I’m spending more to do it.
    Brilliant, absolutely brilliant.
    Only in America.

So, how do we as ordinary citizens start a movement to overhaul the EPA?
  • Options
    So, how do we as ordinary citizens start a movement to overhaul the EPA?

That is good question. I believe I will write a letter to my senators and congressmen. Letting them know that the current direction of both CARB & EPA are not helping us solve anything, except Exxon & ADM's net profit. Promoting Ethanol where it is practical may be OK. Not in states that have logistical barriers. Biodiesel and promoting diesel cars is a more progressive approach to the fossil fuel usage problem. It is a shame that VW is being squeezed out of the diesel picture. The only company that has hung in over the years.
  • Options
    jkinzeljkinzel Member Posts: 735
    gagrice, If you could email me an ouline of the letter you write and/or statistics that I can use in my own letter it would be greatly appreciated. I have to go back to work tomorrow for my 15 days of fun at sea so I won’t have much time to do any writing.
    Thanks
  • Options
    eugeneugen Member Posts: 2
    I have 95 jetta tdi, in the last month I started to lose oil realy fast and of course I have blue smoke. How do I know if the turbocharger is loosing oil or I need new piston rings ?( the mileage is over 380.000 KM, 30.000km ago I checked the compression and it was at the lower limit but not under)
    Thanks
  • Options
    eugeneugen Member Posts: 2
    probably you already solved the problem, in case you did not, i think your problem is the wire to the fuel valve on the injection pump, you should hear a click near the pump each time you turn the key (or somebody else for you) or you can turn the key in the ignition and remove the plug from the valve, you should hear the click
    good luck
  • Options
    irgirg Member Posts: 197
    I went down to my local VW dealer today, and they said they can't sell the TDI in NY state, but they would be getting the Toureg diesel that they could sell. This seems totally unfair to me. What if I bought a "used" TDI in another state, could I then register it in NY or not? Any loopholes I can use? Thanks.
  • Options
    yes irg you could register a used tdi in NY. in MA & Cali it has to have >7500 miles to be so registered. Cali supposedly has a loophole about replacing a cali car that breaks down on an out of state drive - maybe NY has that too.
    i've heard something about more 2-a-reg TDIs arriving in USA, maybe doubling the # from 500 to 1000!
  • Options
    irgirg Member Posts: 197
    "more 2-a-reg TDIs arriving in USA, maybe doubling the # from 500 to 1000!" What does this mean? Not sure I understand. Thanks.
  • Options
    i understand that for 2004 model year, 500 V10 TDI 2-rags came to USA. so i'm wondering if there will only be 500 more for USA in model year 2006?
  • Options
    jworthingtonjworthington Member Posts: 42
    I am going to sell our Volvo XC90 for a vehicle that is 1) safe and 2) gets MUCH better gas mileage. We are spending $450+ each month in gas and it is killing us.

We cannot decide between the TDI and the Toyota Camry. I know that the MPG is different, but the TDI is a new model for '06 and I am a little leery of this. Toyota does have a great reputation for quality and reliability.

Can anyone offer some assistance or advice?

Thanks.
    Jeff
  • Options
    The Toyota will be more reliable than Jetta... that is almost a given. but dont confuse "reliability" with "quality".

I think that Jetta has higher quality than anything else in the price-range. The fit, feel and finish is impeccable. Dont forget that Jetta is more like a $35,000 Audi from that perspective.

Also.... the Toyota will NEVER EVER travel over 600 miles on a tank of fuel. I like that my TDI can do that every time. (more like 700 miles if I am on a highway trip)

With the price of fuel these days and no end in sight (petrolium experts predict even higher prices in our near future) The TDI seems to be more cost-effective than anything else out there.

(Hybrids have a HUGE drawback... $3000 to replace the batteries)