Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Legacy GT Limited vs. Acura TSX and TL

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Maybe, but a lot of premium cars with HIDs aren't stolen. I think it's the "car," and not just the lights.

I wonder what the insurance rates are for STis? The performance and stolen-factor certainly don't help.

Bob
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    WRX rates are actually not too bad, but maybe it just hasn't caught up yet.

It would be wise to get insurance quotes for all these cars before buying.

-juice
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Maximas were targets because the HID "kits" (yes kits) were easy to take out and could easily be installed in almost any other car. And I think that was the previous generation Maxima, not the current one.

Not every car with HIDs is a target for thieves.

Craig
    Interesting. NJ had a class action suit against Nissan, there were so many HID thefts.

-juice
  • evileevile Member Posts: 5
    I looked at all 3 as well and went with the TSX. It's a fun car to drive with quite a bit of luxury. The TL and the Legacy are nicer rides with way more power but not as fun. Take them out for test drives and I think you're choice will be quite clear.

Have you looked at the 325 or the new RL?
  • uncledaviduncledavid Member Posts: 548
    As a TSX owner, I have to say that the HIDs are not an advantage that this vehicle has over the Legacy. I find the sharp cutoff annoying and think that a good set of halogens can work even better. HIDs, to me, are just a gimic and not one that really adds to the vehicle.

nschulman3, I'm very sorry to hear about your vehicle being stolen and hope your insurance agency makes good on the situation.
    Appreciate the honest opinion! :-)

-juice
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Sorry to hear about your STi. It's legendary status does contribute to unwanted attention.

I would think the TL is probably the least similar option out of the three vehicles. It's got power, but the vehicle is geared more towards luxury rather than a tossable ride.

Both the GT and TSX handle very well so they'll probably be more in-line to your needs. The GT does have a power advantage given that it shares the same longblock as the STi. There's lots of low-end grunt with very little turbo lag. The TSX will require a much more rev-happy driving style to tap into it's power, but it does come with a slick 6-speed manual.

I'd say the GT has the edge in performance while the TSX in creature comforts.

As for HIDs, interestingly, Consumer Reports also felt that the halogen headlights on the Legacy performed better than the HIDs on the TSX. It's not just how much brighter but how efficiently the lenses use the light.

Ken
    I recall one test where a basic Protoge or Corolla (forget which) ranked among the best while an Audi TT ranked among the very worst, and the latter had HIDs.

-juice
  • uncledaviduncledavid Member Posts: 548
    Don't get me wrong. I love my TSX. It handles great and is really, really comfortable. And, as time goes on, I more and more appreciate all little niceties in the car. I just want readers of this forum to have a balanced perspective. And, I really don't see HIDs as an advantage.

As far as power is concerned, the TSX has more low end grunt then it would appear. I find it to be quite lively around town. It is pretty rare that I feel a need for more power.

Every once in a while, I'll get stuck behind some car going 30 MPH on the freeway. I'll need to move around that car really quickly, and get up to 60 MPH. In those situations, the low torque of the TSX is annoying. Otherwise, it almost always has more than enough pull for me.

Anyway,its a great time to shop for cars because the Legacy GT, TL, and TSX are all great options.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    The STi attracts thieves because, unfortunately, its "tuned" styling, with all the surface add-ons, attracts low-life punks.
    I agree, it has plenty of pull most of the time. The only time I have found my wife's TSX underpowered was when merging into fast traffic on a busy highway. My Outback XT easily gets up to speed, but the TSX feels a little weak in the same circumstance.

Craig
  • nschulman3nschulman3 Member Posts: 125
    In my travels, I drove the VW R32 yesterday and came away quite impressed. The V6 has great linear power and the 6 speed manula, while not as impressive as the TSX, was very nice. I realize that this is a limited production car, but the ride and handling offers a nice compromise. Plus, VW interiors are very nice. That said, I would only lease this vehicle because of VW's shady reliability record. Still, the smooth V6, crisp 6 speed and awd make a nice package.
    Great car, but that's an old platform. That would be my only reservation.

The new Golfs are out and I'd like to see the R32 treatment on that.

-juice
  • rx8newrx8new Member Posts: 4
    I owned a Legacy. Engine lasted 152 miles. Then needed a new one. I was the third at that dealership with the problem. My biggest problem was the response from Subaru US headquarters. Dealership gave me their number and said they would take care of me. Couldn't get anyone to return my calls so I went over to their headquarters (right down the street from the dealer) and asked to speak to someone in customer service. They threatened to arrest me if I didn't leave, so I did. Not very friendly people. Never did do anything for me. Test drove the TSX and am waiting for my 05, expected in 2 - 3 weeks.
  • krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    Would you mind to elaborate ?

Krzys
  • grove4grove4 Member Posts: 95
    Sounds to me like the dealership might be forgetting to add oil, or else a disgruntled employee.Never heard of that,sorry dont believe it's true by the quick story you gave us.I did have a similar problem with rusty door seams on a 2003 mazda 6 that thank god I got out of and got the legacy.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    "Sounds to me like the dealership might be forgetting to add oil, or else a disgruntled employee."

Cars come with oil in them from the factory, the dealership doesn't need to fill it up with oil. And a disgruntled employee draining the oil out of a new car? Yeah, sure.

"Never heard of that,sorry dont believe it's true by the quick story you gave us."

So what is it? Dealership forgot to add oil, disgruntled employee, or are you calling him a liar? Or do you not want to believe that there may have been a Legacy with a problem because you just bought one?

"I did have a similar problem with rusty door seams on a 2003 mazda 6 that thank god I got out of and got the legacy."

Sorry about your 6, I had the same problem. I remember you from the 6 thread, I thought you got an Accord to replace your 6?
    I just went back to the Mazda6 thread and you did say that you replaced your Mazda6 with an Accord:

"Well I got 19k on a trade for a 03 EXV6 accord that was the general managers car for 6k miles."

And now you say:

"I did have a similar problem with rusty door seams on a 2003 mazda 6 that thank god I got out of and got the legacy."

So which is it? Did you replace the 6 with a Legacy or an Accord? That makes me wonder if you really did have a Mazda6 to begin with and that maybe you're the one who's making things up.
    Ignore the troll, folks.

-juice
    Who are you calling a troll? Me, or grove?
    I had the Legacy and accord at the same time then later traded the accord for family reasons to get a pilot.Also my wife had a forester xt, so I have had my share of cars the last three years.All starting with the 6.Right now I will stay put with the legacy and a pilot.Either way I drove the accord then got a legacy some time later.As far as post #272 is concerned I dont believe it, "sorry".The same dealership with three bad engines on same new cars?And who is to say if it did happen and a couple of the cars were in for a 3k mile oil change and you get some wacko mechanic.And thats if the story was true.Who can believe who on a car forum anyway, anyone can say anything but sometimes someone says something like on 272 and not elaborate to much on it and it stinks.This has been a really honest forum that I read often and I hope it stays that way.
    Neither of you. I'm talking about post 272.

Signs of a troll:

* extremely negative, flaming post
    * post only once, then disappear so as not to have to defend their illogical position
    * anonymity - no name and private e-mail

rx9new: if I'm wrong, please share the last 4 digits of your VIN, I'll have an SoA rep look up your case (if it's even true). I doubt you'll stick around long enough to respond, though.

At least tell me the dealer, again I'll have an SoA rep look up 3 catastrophic engine failures all from a single dealer within a certain time frame.

Trolls won't answer so I don't expect a reply.

-juice
    I'm not really commenting on post 272, but, is it conceivable that a mechanic could "genuinely" forget to put in new oil after draining the old oil? I would think there must be some sort of safety precaution/policy/procedure a dealer would instill to prevent an absent-minded mechanic from draining oil, go take a leak, and then come back and forget to finish the job.

And a related question: how many people would, after having their car serviced, immediately pop the hood and check oil and fluid levels, new filter, etc?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Why don't we just see if the poster returns to answer some of these questions. No need to pile on here...

(A lot of people pop the hood after a service for just that reason - to make sure everything was done properly, BTW.)
    Conceivable, yes. Likely in this conext, no.

Keep in mind it's Honda dealers that are struggling with oil changes on CR-Vs, resulting in 60+ engine fires and counting.

-juice
    "I'm not really commenting on post 272, but, is it conceivable that a mechanic could "genuinely" forget to put in new oil after draining the old oil?"

If you read his post, he said his engine gave out with 152 miles on it, so why would there have been an oil change? Whether the story is true or not, forgetting to add oil would not be the cause of a failed engine with only 152 miles because a dealer would not change the oil on a brand new car. If the car didn't have oil in it from the factory, the engine wouldn't have lasted 152 miles. I didn't catch the part about him being the third with the problem though, which makes the story less believeable.
    Sure did try to catch everything in post #274.Also,who is to say the other two blown engines had less than 3k on as I stated.Thats the whole reason I even said anything about a disgruntled employee changing oil.Is it possible the guy got a bad car?yes.Is it possible that it happend to two other new cars all at the same dealership?Probably not.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Again, folks, let's wait to see if the poster wants to explain. While we are waiting, we need to move on. We are not here to pick each other apart.
    No, I didn't post and run. I'll explain a little further. The explanation I was given was that there are holes drilled through the block for oil? (I'm not a mechanic, only telling you what I was told). Apparently the holes weren't drilled all the way through so no oil was getting to the engine. After the engine was replaced it always had a metallic clacking sound, just like the sound it made just before it quit but they still didn't want to hear about it (Subaru USA that is, the dealer was sympathetic since they had seen 2 others). Subaru USA refused to acknowledge this had ever happened before. Thats when I got rid of it. My real point is that there is a huge factor regarding customer service right from the top. Thats the difference between some brands. Sounds great when you are being sold, but don't want to hear from you later.

I'm a little confused about some of the cars being compared to the TSX, they either cost $10K more equally equiped, or don't have anywhere near the equipment for the same price. The TSX has to be the best value out there today.
  • bkaiser1bkaiser1 Member Posts: 464
    I'm not discounting the terrible experience described above, but I would like to add that of the several makes of cars I have owned (2 Hondas, 1 Mazda, 1 Chevy, 2 Subarus) Subaru as a company has gone above and beyond what I consider normal customer service on both of my Subarus. Their responsiveness and genuine concern for owner's happiness is unparalleled in my experience.

With my 01 Outback, I had a bad clutch replaced at no charge at 40,000 even though the car was out of warranty (the orig clutch wasn't designed right) and shortly thereafter, Subaru repainted the entire car due to a manufacturing defect that was causing cracks in the paint. The repaint cost Subaru thousands of dollars, and it took 5 weeks to complete. It was a pain, sure, but it got fixed...I'm not sure many other manufacturers would do the same.

When I traded the Outback in last year for a new WRX, Subaru covered the new car with a 100k warranty as a testament to their faith in their products. None of the manufacturers I have dealt with in the past were even remotely as interested in customer satisfaction.

Brian
    Glad you followed up on your original post.What year subaru was it?Your story sounds about exactly what Mazda corporate did to me which is why I used them for an example.I wouldn't be to naive to think you cant find a unhappy customer w
    ith American Honda either.Just read the posts.
    Dont be confused about the TSX comparison,alot of the magazines have already done it themselves.The TL may cost more but you get a bigger car and 70 more hp.The legacy gives you alot more power than the TSX also and awd.The TSX gives you fwd n/a 4cyl with 200hp and a low torque figure.The TSX does give you the nav if you want it.I think the Legacy is the best bang for the buck but if I had your problem I probably would not buy subaru again either.I wont buy Mazda,at least for a while I'm still upset about it.
    bkaiser1: The dealership was great, because Subaru did nothing for me, they ended up not charging me for service visits, just don't try to ever go to Subaru USA headquarters. Reminds me of the AOL commercial where all kinds of customers are invited in. I think Subaru would call the SWAT team in.
    Frankly, the only thing I think the Subaru has really going for it is the all wheel drive but I think I'd rather have Traction Control and Stability control. I've driven in lots of snow and never really had trouble with front wheel drive and traction control. Plus the NHTSA report on stability control really shows how much that helps. If an all wheel drive starts sideways, the all wheel drive doesn't help.
    Nav was a big deal for me. Maps are OK but don't help if you are on a road in the country and don't have a detailed local map or in DC where roads seem to end with other unmarked ones appearing at odd angles.
    "The repaint cost Subaru thousands of dollars, and it took 5 weeks to complete."

5 weeks?! What, they did it by hand? With a toothbrush?
    What dealer? Seriously. I can have someone look it up. I don't believe the 3 engine failures.

Going to Cherry Hill seems a little aggressive, don't you think? Did you call 800-SUBARU3? Did you get a case number, even?

I ask because the more common experience is the exact opposite of what you are reporting - it's the dealers that usually resist, SoA puts the pressure on to provide good service.

That may be because a dealer can charge full retail service prices to a customer, but if they're being reimbursed by Subaru the rate is much lower.

I dunno, this whole thing still smells fishy to me.

-juice
    Juice, I would have to respectfully disagree, at least as far as my experience with Honda is concern. I've always found the service departments at the dealers I frequent to be exemplary, but Honda customer service is so-so at best.
    Could be true for Honda, I'm referring to Subaru specifically.

We have an SoA rep roaming these very boards, she respects privacy and cannot get involved in a case directly, but she does oversee the dealers and can get things done when needed.

I'd urge any Subie owners to join the Subaru Crew here on Edmunds, Patti really takes care of Edmunds members.

-juice
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Ditto what juice wrote.

Ken
    Going to Cherry Hill wasn't real aggressive since the dealer is about 1/2 mile down the street. Calling the 800 number wasn't necessary, its a local call here. The 3 at one dealership was all I was told by the service guys. When it happened they didn't even act surprised. When I told them what it sounded like they just said - oh, the engines gone - without even looking at it. Seemed kind of weird that they didn't even want to look at it first.
    What model/year did you have? I'll guess it was a '99 to '01 Legacy, most likely.

I ask because the 2005 GT has a totally different engine block.

I bet you had a leaky head gasket on an earlier model year Legacy. Subaru covers those for 8/100, sort of like Acura covers TL transmissions for 7/100. Both have shown patterns of failures but the manufacturers have stepped up.

However, the new GT uses a skirted block, semi-closed desk design. The gaskets are entirely different, shape and part numbers. It actually shares the block of the WRX STi, not the same block as the normally aspirated cars.

Ward's actually named that engine to its 10 Best list this year, FWIW.

Pistons are forged, valves are sodium filled. Intake and exhaust are completely different. So about all the new GT has in common with the older 2.5l engine is the bore center and the 180 degree opposed position of the pistons.

Internally, no parts are interchangeable at all.

Reason I say that is because your issue was not with the new GT's engine. It would be like telling someone not to buy a TSX because a similar (but not the same) 2.4l Honda engine has had issues engine fires in a CR-V.

To me it doesn't seem relevant to this topic.

-juice
    Geez, some of you are way too quick to jump on someone's back. I see it way too often here on Edmunds, if anyone has a negative experience with a certain brand, that brand's boosters jump all over the person. I was verbally lynched in the Mazda threads when I was complaining about my Mazda6 rust issue.

His experience is relevent because he was disapointed with how Subaru handled his situation. IMO, Subaru should've just given him a new car being that the engine failed at 152 miles.

Just like the other guy who won't buy a Mazda again because of his rust issue, even though that has been corrected.

With that being said, stonewalling a customer isn't unique to any manufacturer. They have ALL done it and will continue to do it.
    I owned a Legacy. Engine lasted 152 miles. Then needed a new one

Head gasket failure doesn't require a full engine replacement, so I think this sounds a bit misleading, at least.

I'm trying to find out if that's indeed what it was. If one dealer saw 3 of the same issue, it had to have been head gaskets.

The dealer would replace the gasket, not the whole engine.

More importantly, the problem doesn't apply to the 2005 Legacy GT, the car being discussed in this thread.

-juice
    I agree that brand loyalty does seem to be an issue sometimes. We have a mixed crowd here. I do defend Subarus and Hondas to some extent, but will be the first to complain about issues with my Subaru or my wife's Acura. And I will sympathize with other people's issues when they are legitimate.

Having followed the Mazda6 rust issue a little, I know what your situation was like.

In this case, I think it's a little fishy that the dealership claimed three such engine failures. I do not put a lot of credibility in things dealers tell to customers, and I think most of us will agree that they tell you what they want you to hear/think. But it's rarely accurate. If there were such a high failure rate, then we would know about it (we know about far more arcane things than that). So it just sounds fishy, and is lacking details. Why did the engine fail??

Having watched Patti in action over the years, and having been the beneficiary of goodwill from Subaru of America, I know that they care about their products and they do whatever they can to keep customers happy. Many of us can speak to that. So it just all seems out of character with what we know here.

Craig
    If we relate this to Mazda, let's say your door had rust issues and they replace the whole door, then extended the corrosion warranty well beyond what was originally offered.

I'm not talking about spraying some undercoating on there or repainting the door, I mean full replacement of the failed part (door sheetmetal).

You might have kept your Mazda if they had stepped up like that. But they didn't.

Subaru did. Gaskets are replaced (not engines BTW) on 99-01 Legacys with the 2.5l engine and then they treat the coolant with an additive and extend the warranty on affected parts to 8 years or 100k miles.

Acura did, too. Trannies are repaired or replaced and the warranty covers you for 7/100, IIRC.

So it's different than Mazda's "solution", in my opinion.

But we are off topic anyway, the 2005 Legacy GT does not even have any gasket issues, it's not even the same engine!

-juice
    "Head gasket failure doesn't require a full engine replacement, so I think this sounds a bit misleading, at least."

It might or it might not. If enough water gets into the oil, it can wreck every single surface of the engine that encounters friction. Crankshaft, pistons, valves, cams, block, etc. IMO, that means new engine.

"You might have kept your Mazda if they had stepped up like that."

I did keep my Mazda and after one Minnesota winter, there isn't any new issues with the doors. That doesn't mean that I'm not angry about what happened though.

"So it's different than Mazda's "solution", in my opinion."

Not to me it isn't. Maybe if his car had more miles on it, Subaru's solution would've been acceptable, but with 152 miles, he deserved a new car IMO. Engine replacement is MAJOR surgery for a car and I'm one of the people that believes that once you do something that major to a car, it's never the same. 152 miles? I'd be pissed.
    The rust issue was not corrected.In fact Mazda was going case by case meaning you had to find the rust under the weather stripping then tell the dealer.And when I did find it all they did was put touch up paint over it and they even missed some spots.That issue to me was worse b/c it cant be replaced like say a bad radio or somthing.As long as you own the car it will be rusted.Not to mention all the recalls the car had.It just felt like I bought a ford.I do know one thing between subaru,honda and mazda.When it comes to rattles the only one to actually take time to fix it for me was subaru.And I complained about it with all of the makes Iv'e had.In fact I just had the dealer fix one yesterday b/c the trim around the radio was squeeking over bumps and with your right leg.My subaru dealer even gave me a loaner 05 2.5i wagon for the day.Now I know all dealers are different but I do sure like mine.I even request a certain guy that always works on my car.The Honda dealer is not near as personable and will never go above and beyond for anything that that they cant charge you for.And I dont think any dealership gets paid to fix rattles.The mazda dealer was flat out horrible to work with.And they even scratched all the cheap plastic up around the gear shifter.To me It feels like subaru is smaller and wants to keep there customers happy so they stay with them.I think thats why you find so many loyal subaru customers like us that try to defend them.I have a honda pilot but I dont really hang out on those boards or go out of my way to defend honda b/c they never really made me feel appreciated.I just liked,or more less needed a pilot.I have heard countless stories of subaru replacing clutches,gaskets,wheelbearings,and other wear and tear items outside of the warranty then I have ever heard of with any other company.
    The coolant leaks are usually external, it doesn't mix with the oil. The problem becomes clearly visible right away. It becomes more serious only if the driver continues driving.

The cases we've seen have needed just gasket replacements.

We have 5 Subies in our family, my 98 Forester, my wife's 02 Legacy, my dads 01 Outback, my sisters 03 Forester, and my brother's 04 Legacy. All of them have the 2.5l EJ255 engine, and not one of the 10 head gaskets (remember it's an H4) has had any issues.

Again, though, we have not seen one single gasket issue with the turbo block.

Let me ask the Acura folks this, if a TL's transmission failed at 152 miles, would Acura replace the car or the tranny? I have no idea so I'm asking.

-juice
    "The rust issue was not corrected."

What I meant by that was that the 2004s and 2005s didn't have the issue, and to be fair, although I was extremely pissed about the rust issue with my car, it hasn't gotten worse in a year and I haven't had any other issues. There were two recalls on my car that were done at the dealer and I was given a rental car. Two recalls isn't that big of a deal for a first year car IMO.

With the exception of the luxury makes, dealership experience varies by dealer, and even by service writer and mechanics, not by manufacturer in my experience. I've had 2 Hondas, a Subaru, 3 Mazdas, and a Ford.

"The coolant leaks are usually external, it doesn't mix with the oil."

I'm not familiar with the Subaru issue. I was just saying that a failed head gasket can ruin an entire engine, whether it's from overheating, or lack of lubrication, or both.

"Let me ask the Acura folks this, if a TL's transmission failed at 152 miles, would Acura replace the car or the tranny?"

Who knows? I'd be just as mad about a tranny replacement at 152 miles as I would about an engine replacement.
    Yeah, I would probably be worried about a major repair or replacent that early too. There is a lot of potential for the job to be done improperly or for something else to get messed up. Over the years, cars have been designed and assembled for convenience on the factory floor, and you can't necessarily do it the same way after the car is put together (as an example, there are a lot of "one-way" parts on interiors nowadays where you practically have to break something to remove or replace components). But I think every manufacturer will try to do an engine or tranny swap before replacing the car (you'd have to get to the three-strikes point under the lemon law to get a new car).

As an example, people have gotten new white Legacy GTs with stains on the paint (turns out to be dealer-applied tire dressing that permanently stains the clearcoat). The dealer solution is to have the offending part repainted. It is possible to match the color, and most people find this a reasonable repair. But eventually, there will come a time when the repainted part of the car starts to differ in appearance from the factory paint, and all of a sudden it detracts from the value of the car. So that's an example where I would not be willing to settle for a repaint and lose the uniformity of a factory paint job. But I doubt any dealer or manufacturer is going to give you a new car -- their strategy is going to be a repaint which will keep them covered through the car's warranty. Whenit looks bad in 7-10 years, it won't be their problem anymore.

I am lucky that I have not had any major defects in my vehicles that compromise their long-term value. I know it would probably stink to have a new car and then be looking at major repairs or replacements. Would not sit well with me at all.

Craig
    I saw 2004's with rust on the dealers lot.I even showed the salesman when I was there arguing my case.You can even go back on these boards and see the posts on 2004's.Recalls I know of were brake resovoir float.The gas tank leaking fumes into the car.I know the rust was a TSB along with the screeching when you turn the front wheels to lock..cloth interior seats fraying..clutch problems..doors rattling from bass at low volume level..numerous CEL.I had all of these problems except the seats b/c I had leather.I am sorry I do not mean to rip on your car but my experience with mazda was real bad.The only thing they attempted to fix was the rust and recalls.I had it in to the dealer for the brakes 3x's.Mazda corporate gave me a # then never called me back.I got so ticked off I swore I would never buy mazda again.Then I see how all the car mags love it and wonder if it was just me.And the truth is I wont say I wont ever buy mazda again,I mean have you seen the mazdaspeed6?To me rust just cant be fixed,or I would have stuck it out b/c I did like the way the car drove.
This discussion has been closed.