Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Can you tell if a super chip has been installed when you buy a vehicle?

boppascottboppascott Posts: 37
edited March 2016 in Chevrolet
I purchased a 2003 Tahoe last fall and I am getting over 17 mpg on a highway where there is a small town to slow down for every 15 -20 mi and am I getting 17+ mpg is it because i cleaned the K&N filter and changed plugs and wires or is it because it has a super chip installed and how can I tell if it has been installed

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    Well 17 mpg is just about EPA average expected mileage for that vehicle, and optimally you could get 19 mpg. Maybe you're just a good driver! :)

Far as I know, Superchips doesn't offer a flash tuner for your truck.

There are a bunch of Mickey Mouse "chips" on the market that splice into the wires going to your PCM, so if you see something in that harness, someone might have tried that--but they are pretty worthless, and perhaps harmful. I doubt they'd do much of anything except empty your wallet.

• texasestexases Posts: 8,921
    Neither cheap chips or the K&N filter will affect mpgs, and I'd expect 17 mpgs stock, as noted above. We got about 15 with our '96 Suburban under similar conditions.
  • thank-you