Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Scion tC Problems and Solutions

Comments

• Options
    dachiefdachief Member Posts: 3
    So, having picked up my tC today...

I hear everyone talking about Potenzas, but my car came with Yokohamas. Has Toyota started putting Yokos on all the tCs?
  • Options
    tonylexustonylexus Member Posts: 94
    You mention Pirelli's. What do you have and how do you like them? Interested in any comments. I intend to switch over to P Zero Nero's when the Potenza's wear out. Find them to be noisy on concrete, though I must say, despite the poor ratings on wet & snow that I read prior to use, I have been pleasantly surprised rather than greatly disappointed in their performance. Still think I can do better though.
    Did you run the Potenza's at all? If so, How do they compare? Thanks.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    did you get the standard wheels/tires, or did you pay to upgrade (to 18's or so)? AFAIK, the Potenzas are still standard.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    designdesign Member Posts: 10
    I drove straight out of the dealer with an impossible combination of cool features, with the best color for this car; black cherry pearl. They had put 18" Einko rims with Pirelli Nero Zero's All Season, which are awesome. They also had put carbon fiber on the trunk and dashboard, and they just gave me the original 17" rims. I've pushed the car a little bit too much during a couple thunderstorms (MIAMI thunderstorm!) and got a little slipping but the car stayed in control the WHOLE time. I could feel the tires spinning out but not swerving or losing control. The ride quality on them is awesome, I barely feel potholes, which is scary considering how many there are down here. Maybe one sweet day they will stop construction? You can check out my ride at cardomain, I have a few pics there:::

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=782419

:::I never had the Potenza's but I'm definitely not afraid of my tires wearing out, they are wide & THICK. I put a plug and patch over the hole where the F*%$# screw went in and the tire has been fine for a few days now. As for snow performance, well this is Miami sooooo.
  • Options
    dachiefdachief Member Posts: 3
    No, all standard.

The tires are Yokohama S32As.

So far I am very impressed. They're not very quiet tires, but Yokohamas are terrific tires.
  • Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    on Yokohama tires. I got a set for my '99 Sephia and the thing handled like a champ. Or, a lot closer to a champ than it did before! Got a package tire/wheel deal from Discount Tires in 2001 with my tax refund. Mah-velous tires, man!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    nj18inchrimsnj18inchrims Member Posts: 3
    i also ordered my tc with the 18"/pirelli, love the look! i also like the carbon on the trunk was that done by a private body shop? it looks great.
    cant tell if you had the ground effects added to yours it doesnt look like it. i had it installed on mine.
    and your right Black cherry/the best color.
  • Options
    captainbloomercaptainbloomer Member Posts: 2
    I have a deposit down on the new tC release series 1.0!! Beatiful candy apple RED color with red-accented seats, and much more. Who's jealous?? Hahaha...just kidding. Any advise for new tC owner-to-be?
  • Options
    You bought a very cool tC. This one's gonna be hard for me to stay away from, indeed. I love the bright red color-it's awesome-the tC's classsic sports car lines fit the Absolutely Red color great. I mean, the xA even looked good with the RS 1.0 in Absolutely Red. Really looked sharp. The tC RS 1.0 will absolutely rock!

• Options
    amilian10amilian10 Member Posts: 3
    Hi gang, if someone has been using their a/c please post some feedback, i live in Miami and though I love the TC I have to make sure the car is also "Real Cool" on the inside as well. Im a sales rep and spend the whole day getting in and out of the car, as well as making long (75mi)one way trips everyday!

thanks,
    Max.
  • Options
    tcarolatcarola Member Posts: 1
    I just put my deposit down a couple hours ago. Im a redhead whos initials are TC, buying a red car called the tC... gotta love it. I also love how they are using lexus colors for the new release series cars (Solar Yellow xB- look at 2002 IS300). I cant wait to get it, even though it will be a nice little cop magnet.
  • Options
    you're getting the tC I would get, too, even though it is a cop magnet. Oh well. It'll look awesome in front of the flashing lights!

• Options
    the A/c works fine, no hits on performance and no noise. im also in miami, ive had the car for about 2 months now... I recommend getting tints as i will... i got an estimate for 90 bucks for the best available which is not bad. only thing im afraid of is how much gas will be eaten up once i start cranking it up, right now its not so hot so i barely use it, i just open the moonroof and it feels really nice.... oh and if you happen to get 18" rims make sure u don't drive down Lejeune, its a nightmare. :sick:
  • Options
    mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Very nice! I saw one in Flynt mica with the same rims about two hours ago. It was parked right next to me so I started conversation with the driver who turned out to be the owner's roomate and had no clue what a hot car he was driving! :P He said he like it a lot and would probably be buying one for himself.
    :shades:
    Mackabee
  • Options
    amilian10amilian10 Member Posts: 3
    thanks design, i will try to avoid LeJeune!
  • Options
    laambtasticlaambtastic Member Posts: 2
    New to the forum. Just bought my TC sunday, and love it! One small issue. The beep that alerts me when my seatbelt is not fastened goes on for about 20-30 seconds, not 6 seconds like the manual suggests. Does anyone else have this issue? Is that the way its supposed to be, or should I take my car in for service?
  • Options
    tcflashtcflash Member Posts: 1
    you should just put on your seat belt and it won't beep at you...all tCs have
    a mind of their own...yours just wants you to be safe is all....
  • Options
    by the way... about the A/C... I finally used it a lot the other day because it's starting to get hot in Miami now.... there are 6 or 7 different levels of power for the air coming out which is nice, it gets cold fast... and yes it does get very powerful without having impact on the engine's performance.

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=782419
  • Options
    mic813mic813 Member Posts: 5
    I have the same problem. It is terribly annoying, I hate putting me seatbelt on when I am trying to back-up and I need to turn around. Wish I could change the feature. Also beeps when I park and take off my seat-belt but don't turn off the car.

Also, has anyone noticed the service light coming on until they start driving. I think this is a recent thing on my car but it could be one of those things I never noticed. I am just about due for an oil change and wondering if that could be it??

Michele
  • Options
    the little wrench light stays on longer when you are getting up in miles. IIRC, at 4,500 it stays on for a few seconds and blinks a few times. At 5,000, it stays on all the time.

You can reset it whenever you want (the procedure is in the manual). I saw it becasue the dealer neglected to reset it when I had my oil change done at about 4,000 miles.

Also, it isn't an oil condition monitor, just a mileage indicator.

• Options
    laambtasticlaambtastic Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the input...i guess its just an annoying safety feature that we have to deal with.
  • Options
    greekguy78greekguy78 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a tC and let me tell you, I love that little car. OK, so I'm probably paranoid about this car, but since I pulled out of the lot, every time I apply the brakes (the car needs to be in drive) I hear a single click coming from somewhere in the brake pedal area with every press. IS this some silly mechanical spring or something or should I take in to the dealer?
  • Options
    hi, has anyone setup a subwoofer in their TC??? I'm planning on pushing about 1200W through one speaker with a 1.2 farad capacitor but I'm not sure if this will be fine or if i will have to get a more powerful alternator??? any suggestions??
  • Options
    lronlron Member Posts: 4
    My white tC gets warm while parked in the sun. I often have heat sensitive stuff in the car, and want to reduce the heat build up.
    I'm thinking of getting rear hatch window tinted, and maybe lining the
    sunroof area with a reflector of some sort.
    Any ideas appreciated.
    Thanks, Ron
  • Options
    geneegenee Member Posts: 170
    Am I the only one experiencing a LOT of water dumping into the back seat when I open the rear hatch to chamois the bottom and sides of the hatch after I wash the little guy? Luckily the leather is easy to dry. I would hate to have that much water dumped on cloth.

I am also still attempting to get something done about my combination of side airbags and auto-dimming mirror. I have been told - months ago - that a TSB was "about to be issued" and that a new wiring harness would be available as a fix. I was even given a part number that turned out to be the complete mirror assembly for the new model. :lemon:

I
  • Options
    I get a little drip of water, but it gets caught by the drip channels.

I have mine in today to see if they can address the cacphony of noises. It has lately been sounding like a T-top Camaro!

The roof is creaking again, the hatch (I think) is squeaking quite a bit, and a week or so ago, it developed a nasty wind whistle at about 40mph (with the roof closed). Sounds like it is coming from the center of the windshield header.

There are also some other assorted creaks and groans that I'm not sure of (they might be related to the roof, but sound like somewhere in the dash/console).

Way to many noises for a 9 month old car with 6K on it. Might be my punishment for getting one of the first models.

• Options
    geneegenee Member Posts: 170
    I am thinking about having the windows tinted. However the New Beetle - replaced by the Scion - I had done gave me "triple vision" on headlights behind me. The shop told me that VW and Porsche have heavier wires in the heating grid and the film will NOT go on without a "little" air space on each side. Daylight was fine but once headlights were needed each air space created internal reflections that were very distracting. What has been the results of having the tC rear hatch tinted with film (commercially - not the diy approach to life).
  • Options
    butterflyjonesbutterflyjones Member Posts: 72
    Anyone changing their own oil and oil filter? Is anyone having a/c issues? Have the tranny problems been worked out? It seems all cars are having major problems that the dealers are not able or willing to acknowledge or fix. Automobiles cost too much to buy with known issues such as these: A/C not cold just barely cool, Tranny prob. 5-speed and Auto. Water leakage, Paint chipping and easily scratched, plastic parts falling apart, sunroofs/sunshades breaking and the dealer not covering cost of replacement. And of course the rattles and creakes!!!! Scion has a way to go before my money goes into their hands!!!
  • Options
    mudflap46mudflap46 Member Posts: 1
    Have any scion tc owners had this problem: On a "choppy" road, when I step on the brakes, the car pulls hard to the right every time. It feels as though one side of the braking system isn't working at all, but I've taken it back to the dealer several times and they say no problem - they're saying that it's the "nuances" of the performance tires. I say it's a design flaw. Anyone?
  • Options
    axiomowneraxiomowner Member Posts: 76
    I haven't had any of these problems. However, I do have scratches. But, heck I work at a hospital where the population loves to ding and drag their air tanks along your car. ;)

My tC is very solid and the first three oil changes are free. Toyota is known for good build quality and that has been my experience thus far with Scion. Domestics have been piling up recalls into the stratosphere.. I've owned enough new cars to know that my Scion is one of my best decsions.
  • Options
    I posted my observations of a test drive of a tc about amonth ago, and on that drive of about 10 miles the car pulled to the right without even touching the brakes. I just took my hands off the steering wheel and it pulled quickly to the right. It was a 5 speed model that also had hesitation issues. I've been driving long enough to know that it's not normal for cars to pull with or without braking and for it to hesitate or as in this instance to not respond at all. In real world situations that refusal of the tranny to respond could have cost me my life!!! Scion will have to work their bugggsss out before I lay down the green!!! By the way that tc only had 5 miles on the odo. :)
  • Options
    Sorry butterfly - I have to side with axiomowner. I've piled 10,000 miles on my tC since Oct with only one complaint - the front wind deflector on the sun roof is susecptable to breakage. Mine broke and is being covered under warranty, but there needs to be a long term fix for a piece of glass that is designed to stand face forward nearly perpendicular to the road.

I absolutely love this car and have no other issues, complaints or problems. I don't know who you've been talking to but if you drive the competition you'll find similar issues at higher prices.

Frankly, it comes to this - you don't own a tC so you have no credibility here. If you that are unimpressed, go buy something else and fill their 'problems' pages with your complaints.
  • Options
    You must do some backtracking and you'll find the complaints on this web site. True all first year cars have problems so it just means I'll have to wait and see if Scion works them out or not. No perfect people = no perfect cars. My Accord probably has already outlasted most cars being built today. Almost 13 years and still an energizer bunny!!!
  • Options
    it's comments from present tC owners like you that I take seriously, yep. From all of my reading so far on this hot new Scion I have yet to gather up enough negativity to cross it off my list. Not even close. The car reminds me of a new version of the early 70's Celica, tricked out from the factory for racing. Hopefully next month I'll plunge in and buy one-hopefully in Silver Streak Mica.

• Options
    Thanks. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I have not experienced even the more common complaints other owners have and seem to be getting better gas mileage than most report. So, maybe vs. a lemon, I found a rose and you may not be as lucky. However despite some imperfections, I am confident that no Scion is going to be a lemon in the traditional sense of the term.

I've continued to look and compare even after buying my tC - and have yet to find anything comparable at the price. Just accept the standard vehicle for what it is and what it was intended to be - a great value, small coupe that's a balanced blend of sport, luxury and practicality - not a race car or people hauler.

It is also a great platform for tricking it out into whatever you want it to be, if that's your desire. I'm not a Scion saleperson, just a prudent shopper that feels lucky to have found a great value, equipped, and with a fun-to-drive quotient, beyond what was necessary in this class and at this price.
  • Options
    exactly. That is what attracts me to this car, too. I am not a racecar driver and frankly I question someone that would sacrifice their body for the delight of bloodthirsty fans. Who cares about the money waiting for you after the checker-flag. Get a stronger grip, people. Yikes. No wonder Fear Factor is so popular with Americans.

That having been said, I like the propel numbers on the tC. 0-60 in 7.6 seconds is sweet.

The cracks and pops and creaks in the vehicle are not enough to sway me into crossing it off of my list. I'm also gonna test drive an xA before I buy. That excellent gas mileage is nice from the small beast.

• Options
    You bring up another point of controversy. The car mags have listed a 0-60 time of around 8 1/2 seconds in their tests. My own un-scientific tests are more like the 7.6 you quote. That's a big difference and I haven't seen it explained or addressed.

If noting else, it certainly feels like a lot better than 8.5 sec. Maybe even better than 7.6. At the very least I can say that I am a bit of an aggressive driver and have never felt unsure, unsafe or too slow when asking the tC to move out.

Makes me wonder just what fun that super charger might be!
  • Options
    probably be a blast! Scion themselves advertise 0-60 in 7.6 seconds. The magazines early-on mimicked those numbers. I'll bet the test drivers didn't gun the accelerator hard enough off the line or something like that!

• Options
    ace69ace69 Member Posts: 4
    has anyone run into there TC leaking right under the tranny?
    I have a 5 speed with 9500 miles on it and found a leak under my new NEW TC!!
    I cleaned it up so I can find the leak and I think it's coming to the engine crank.

ANYONE find a leak on there TC?........CHECK!!

Rich :confuse:
  • Options
    I would notice it real quick on the garage floor. Then I would go nuts.

• Options
    I can't wait til I go to the dealer to see what they say about this?
    If it is a leak at the crank, they will have to take the tranny out and part of the motor to fix it.

Rich :D
  • Options
    I would think so.
    not sure what the stock alt puts out, I think it would be 90amps.
    for a 1200w amp you would need about 60amps just for the stereo amp, you still need more for the rest of the car.
    I would say you would need a 150 or 200 amp alt.

Rich
  • Options
    fantcfantc Member Posts: 2
    The HVAC fan in my tC is very loud/noisy, to the point of being obnoxious...anyone else notice this?
  • Options
    Just got my tC back after 2 days in the shop. They replaced the sunroof track assembly to try and elimnate the creaking and cracking. So far, seems like it worked. As a side benefit, it looks like they now have the headliner on tight, so it no longer thumps when I hit a bump. Major job though, I'm afraid to think how invasive it was, and what kind of problems I might face in the future (leaks, motor issues, etc).

They never did fix the one problem I brought it in for. There is a noticable noise from the back (sounds like the hatch). It is more of a squeak than anythng else, not a banging or creaking. Hard to describe.

Anyone have this noise and get it fixed? It seems like it's either the hatch rubbing somewhere, or it could be a suspension bushing of some kind needing grease.

Any help, greatly appreciated. It's bothering me obsessively, and if I can't get rid of it, the whole car might have to go!

• Options
    Mine is very quiet. Up to about speed setting 3, I don't even hear it. Above that, you do hear it, but it is moving a lot of air, so I would expect to.

• Options
    zhangtao9703zhangtao9703 Member Posts: 18
    Hi,

Did anyone have experience with the doc fees? How much is fair? The scion dealer charges me about $140(forget the exact number).

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    fantcfantc Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the follow-up...I'll have the dealer look at it when I take it in for the intial oil change ... it's definitely not right - really rumbles and isn't moving much air.
  • Options
    tracyatracya Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had any success fixing the RATTLE in the trunk? I've brought my TC into the dealer 4 times already, and they have not had any luck in fixing the rattle/squeaking coming from the hatch area. I see this has been a common problem among other owners - any advice would be greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    I told my wife I wasn't imagining it!

Last week, I had it in for this issue. I believe they replaced the hatch struts, which of course did nothing (but make the hatch open easier!). I'm not positive where the noise comes from (it's often not from where you think you hear it). There is also a chance it is from the suspension, but if I had to guess, it sould like the latch, or maybe the rubber bump stops.

I believe someone on the thread a shile back had this fixed, by wrapping the latch in something? Someone else did something with foam tape.

This discussion has been closed.