Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2007 Toyota Camry

Comments

• Options
    jack47jack47 Member Posts: 312
    I have a 1995 Camry and have never rotated the tires in 12 years.

All seem to have the same amount of thread wear.

But rotate if you want and change the oil every 3000 miles if you got time and money to waste.

Others may differ.

That's what makes horse races.
  • Options
    capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    It's a good idea to rotate your tires on a regular basis.

Even vehicles with pretty good alignment will eventually get irregular wear, and this is especially true on FWD as the rears wear fairly slowly compared to the front and as much more suspectibleto this.
  • Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Several reputable automotive "experts" have written that the cost of rotating tires just about offsets the increased tread life. Since it's a wash, might as well rotate them because there may be small improvements in ride and/or handling from rotated (i.e., evenly worn) tires. I do mine every other oil change which works out to about every 8000 miles.
  • Options
    jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    "Several reputable automotive "experts" have written that the cost of rotating tires just about offsets the increased tread life. ......"

Might be true if one has to pay for rotations..however, Discount Tire will rotate for tires free, even if you didn't buy them there. They are in many states. Flat repairs are free also.

I am not connected in any way with Discount Tires, other than as a customer.
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Costco rotates at least the tires they sell for free. However, the extra hassle of making a separate trip just to get a free tire rotation isn't always worth it.
    You can get the tires rotated at the dealer during a regular service interval with the oil changes for a few extra dollars.
  • Options
    w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    I just spent 6 days, and 1,712 miles, with a 2007 Camry LE 4-cylinder with 5,500 miles on the clock, and all went very well. This Hertz rental had a build date of November 2006, and I did not notice any significant throttle delay in "normal" driving through the mountains of North Carolina and Tennessee. In fact, the Camry was exemplary through the mountains and more than kept up with the traffic moving at 80+ at times. Additionally, I also noted the cruise control was not as flaky as the last 2007 Camry I rented for a long trip back in July 2006. It appears that this particular sample really didn't exhibit some of the problems discussed here on Edmunds.com. Overall, I would rank my experience with the Camry an excellent one. One week rental, 1,700+ miles from Hertz, for only $162/wk., plus fuel - not bad!!
  • Options
    kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Your earlier I4 LE rental from July was prior to the mfg change in ECM/TCM (TSB for the prior cars), and the November build was after. I have an early build with the TSB applied, and my cruise control and hesitation problems were resolved as well. I've been good for probably 9K miles after the TSB, running fine.
  • Options
    wahlstromwahlstrom Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2007 Toyota Camry SE 4 cyl with 11,000 miles. During that time, it has burned nearly 4 quarts of oil. In addition, the gas mileage is quite poor at 19.5 mpg.
    Something isn't right but so far nothing has been done by the dealer or Toyota except to document and add oil. Any ideas or have any of you had similar problems with the 2007 Camry?
  • Options
    jack47jack47 Member Posts: 312
    Other than that...how does the car run??
  • Options
    Now that is not right. Something is definitely wrong with that kind of oil consumption. I'd get a case opened with Toyota help desk, and get the dealer to handle all oil changes. Be especially diligent about when the oil changes are done, and I personally would video tape the oil consumption on the stick before you take it in for changes, and get the dealership to note and sign/initial on each oil change sheet the level of oil. Make sure you discuss the fact with the service advisor when you drop the car off, that you want him to note on the receipt the level so you have an undisputable set of records associated with this problem.
  • Options
    t_ruckyt_rucky Member Posts: 35
    "Nearly" 4 quarts of oil in 11,000 miles? How nearly? 3 quarts and a bit; 4 quarts and then some?
    Assuming an even 4 quarts, that's about 1 quart every 3000 miles. Not exceptional under normal circumstances. However, if you aren't changing oil during that 11,000 miles but just adding when needed, oil consumption like that is predictable.
    I'm more concerned about gas mileage. You say nil about driving style--that's the single biggest factor in getting good mileage. How do you rate in that factor?
  • Options
    I have never had a brand new car, use any oil between oil changes. I've had all kinds of engines and manufactures, domestic and foreign, gas and diesel, 4, 5(MB), 6, 8 cylinders, inlines and V's, local or highway...doesn't matter. Oil is always at the fill mark on the stick prior to the recommended oil change in the first years of service. 60-100Kmiles yes will be using some oil, never on a new car.

The LE only holds just a hair over 4 qts of oil (w/filter)to begin with. If you assume changing oil at 4K miles, that's over a quart of oil every oilchange, or 25% of the total volume of oil in the car. I have an LE 4cylinder with over 12K miles, hasn't dropped below full mark on the stick. No way is that oil consumption acceptable for a brand new vehicle. Since it hasn't been stated that an oil leak is noticed (you'd notice that much oil on the ground), it must be burning it. Whether an oil ring is missing or hasn't ever set properly, or something is defective where it is sucking the oil into the intake...something is definitely wrong.
  • Options
    I would suggest your experience shouldn't necessarily be used as criteria for other's experiences. Perhaps you haven't seen oil consumption with your vehicles, but that doesn't mean it should never happen. One quart of oil in 3 or 4 thousand miles isn't an unusual situation, and certainly doesn't warrant going to a dealer with guns blazing, or speculating on worst case scenarios. Furthermore nothing is known about the manner this particular vehicle is driven. The fact that gas mileage is perhaps not what it should be might be a sign that it is being run harder than normal--who knows? We certainly don't--at least not at this stage.
    IMO, jumping to conclusions and advocating drastic action or suggesting alarmist situations without of any really meaningful information is a bit premature. Nuff said.
  • Options
    So your assertion is that burning (or loosing) 4 qts of oil in 12K miles on a brand new Toyota is not unusual? I'm contending it's unusual, and go find out what is wrong and get it fixed.
  • Options
    Well, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, as I am mine. For the record, not only do I think it's not an unusual situation, but I also disagree that it's ill advised to advocate drastic action in the absence of factual and complete information.
    That said, It's none of our business anyway, so I'll just back on out of this one. Cheers.
  • Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    one easy check is to see if the PCV valve is clogged. if you remove it and shake it, you should hear a distinctive rattle. if it's sticking, it can contribute to abnormal consumption.
  • Options
    djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    Hi all:
    Today I had the opportunity to drive my V6 2007 Camry in the snow for the first time since it was purchased. There is a difference in a cable / linkage controlled throttle, and a drive by wire controlled throttle, when traveling on snow covered roads.
    When plowing through deep snow in the streets, you cannot pump the accelerator with a "drive by wire vehicle", since there is a delay in the response of the throttle, as opposed to the throttle controlled by "linkage" or a "cable"! Part of my trip was on two lane back roads, so I operated the vehicle in manual 2,3 and 4 depending on the road conditions. This gave me maximum control of the vehicle.
    My 2003 4 cylinder automatic Accord gave me more control in the snow than the V6 Camry. The rear of the Camry has a tendancy to try to "slide out" left or right, when one of the front wheels meets resistance from deep snow! When turning into a street, (right angle turn), keeping the rear from sliding in the opposite direction of the turn is a concern with this vehicle. This could be the result of learning to drive a "drive by wire vehicle"!
    I am NOT unhappy with the performance of the vehicle in the snow, but it is different than the Accord, and it will take some time to become familiar with the operating characteristics of a "drive by wire vehicle"!
    Best regards. ----- Dwayne
  • Options
    thechosonthechoson Member Posts: 32
    I noticed the seats in an SE (the standard ones, not the leather), are a bit different from the cloth seats in the LE...

Are they some kind of modified cloth, or a different material altogether?
  • Options
    stlpike07stlpike07 Member Posts: 229
    Um...this may be an odd question, but have you had your oil changed during that time period, because you didn't mention it.

"Burning" that much oil during a time period when you should have had two oil changes is very unusual.

As far as the other person on here saying it is normal, I disagree with that person. That is not normal, especially not for a new car.

I would be worried and upset if my '07 Camry "burnt" that much oil after I had an oild change. If I were you I would go to a different dealer because any Toyota dealer can do the work for you.
  • Options
    jptpajptpa Member Posts: 11
    Here is my story, my wife and I have been looking for a new car for about 4 weeks. She owns a 1995 Honda Civic that has been very good to her. I drive a company car(IMPALA). We looked and looked and finally she fell in LOVE with the Camry. She drove the LE 4Cly and was ecstatic. So I get on the computer to research the best prices, et etc so I can go tomorrow and buy one for her as a surprise and lo and behold I stumble upon this forum and these "problems" with the Camry. Now, after 6 hours of research( is 4:30 AM!) I'm not so sure if I want to buy a Camry at all. Is March 2007...you guys think these issues have already been ironed out?

Please help!!!! :confuse:
  • Options
    motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Cars built after October of 06 have a revised software that should eliminate the hesitation problem. Let us face it, all modern cars now have electronically controlled transmission that thinks it knows better than you. I don't own an 07 Camry but did get a chance to test drive it a month ago. Didn't feel any of the problems mentioned here. Car was quiet, transmission was smooth and responsive and no gear hunting. Good luck with whatever you decide
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    >Cars built after October of 06 have a revised software that should eliminate the hesitation problem

If the software were the problem, why didn't Toyota fix the others from earlier production by just porting the new software into the engine/transmission controls. They switched valve bodies, replaced transmissions, and drivers still have trouble.

It's not that simple.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    The 2007 model will have had close to a 2 calendar year run by the time the 2008s come out later this year. I wonder what new features will be available on the 2008 Camry?
    Besides some new paint colors, I wonder if they will have a new wood trim color for the XLEs? Maybe more widespread availability of some options that are in the brochures, but not actually produced in many regions (4 cylinder models with VSC on the west coast and so forth). The new 2008 Accord will likely have VSA standard even on the 4 cylinder models, so I wouldn't be surprised if the 2008 Camry also has it standard or it is at least widely available as an option nationwide.
    Factory satellite radio included in the JBL stereo (as opposed to the dealer or port-installed add-on that costs several times what it should and requires interior disassembly to install)?
  • Options
    I have an early modelyear 2007 4cyl LE, and had the hesitation and cruise control power problems. Post TSB, the car is running excellent, meet/exceeding my expectations. If I had the need, I would buy another one without thinking twice. Great car!

As to the 6 cylinder, I can't speak for it.
  • Options
    dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    I think Toyota is waiting for one of the Sat. company's to make a profit before making Sat. standard. Can you gaurantee XM will still be alive in 2 years or Sirius? Looks like Sirius is throwing in the towel and selling out to XM. Just as well could have been the other way and where would Toyota be with all these radios that recieve nothing?
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    In defense of Toyota...

These forums attract people with problems like a magnet. Misery loves company I suppose.

I read the Honda forums mostly and I watch as people have some oddball problem that I have NEVER heard of and then others chime in..."Oh, I checked and mine does the same thing" Some peoblems are real and others get vastly overblown. If you read too much into these problems you will be scared to buy ANYTHING!

Of course, I perfer Hondas to Toyota but Toyota builds great cars that cause far less trouble than most makes.
  • Options
    "receive nothing" ?

They just wouldn't receive satellite radio. Everything else would work.
  • Options
    dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    when you on on "Sat" of course, sorry
  • Options
    Please keep in mind that the people posting on this discussion board is in no way a representative sample of Toyota owners.

Very few people are having problems with their cars. I had a TSB perfromed because I was having "minor" issues that I didn't think was a problem until someone said it was a problem. The TSB was available to me so I had it done and now my car is driving better than it was before. There were a few rattles but everything was fixed under warranty....so no big deal. I love my car. I got the JBL stereo and highly recommend it as an option.

The Camry looks great, rides smoothly, shifts smoothly, and I think it is a lot of fun to drive. MY ADVICE, do not just go out and buy a car without shopping around and looking at other cars AND definitely go for a long test drive.

Good luck!!
  • Options
    aznmaskaznmask Member Posts: 21
    why not buy a V6 camry. it have more power compare to 4cyl. Even V6 i didn't have much power so.. getting a 4cyl for a new car is wrong. That what my friend said "if buy new car alway get V6"
  • Options
    Other than this the car runs fairly well. My dealer is documenting the oil consumption and is fairly stumped at ths point.
  • Options
    My driving style is quite conservative. I am a mature driver who no longer has the need to step on it so the mileage is of concern to me.
  • Options
    I agree, that Camry is using more oil than they normally do but some cars just have a tendency to use a bit of oil.

All cars use SOME oil. They have to.

A quart every 3000 miles is probably considered withing normal limits. Back in the "old days" it was pretty normal for a car to go through a quart of oil every 1000 miles and nobody thought anything of it.

I think I would rather spend a dollar on a quart of oil once in awhile than have someone tear my engine apart and "maybe" improve consumption.

I once had a Pontiac GTO that used a quart of oil every 800 miles like clockwork. It never got any worse and that old GTO was a great car!
  • Options
    I have a 4-cyl and my car runs great. V6 costs a little more and adds a little more to your insurance payment.

And, to be quite honest, if I wanted a really fast car I wouldn't have bought a Camry.
  • Options
    tinicumtinicum Member Posts: 2
    I have a '07 Camry LE 4 cylinder automatic. No oil consumption at all.
    Are you using 0-20 weight engine oil? (Hard to find by the way)... if you are, I suggest switching to the optional 5-20 oil. Also a blocked air filter can increase oil consumption, and a bad PCV can do it too (a buildup of pressure)

I have heard that that much consumption will lead to a catalytic converter failure unless you take long (hot) trips often.
  • Options
    210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    One quart used every 3000 miles won't harm the catalytic converter. Toyota's owner's manual says that some oil usage is normal -- even more than one quart every 3000 miles as I recall. 5W-20 is the specified oil for the 2007 Camry 4-cylinder in the US -- Canada may be different. (It had been 5W-30 for earlier models.)

I agree with isellhondas that this amount of oil usage is not a cause for concern. I'm assuming that the owner with the issue has changed the oil according to Toyota's schedule: 6 months or 5000 miles, whichever comes first.

Back to what Kiawah said about his cars never using oil, this has been true only for my 4 most recent cars, including all 3 Camrys I have owned (all 4 cylinders) plus my 1998 Nissan Frontier.

But all my cars before that (dating back to 1975) used some oil, some more than others. The two VW Rabbits I owned were notorious for excessive oil consumption, and the EPA recalled my '79 for VW to replace the valve stem seals, which were deteriorating prematurely (causing oil burning and excessive hydrocarbon emissions).
  • Options
    moskowamoskowa Member Posts: 4
    I was thinking about 07 Camry SE with leather / heated seats but with no moonroof. Dealer advised this is a difficult car to obtain - and I should either take moonroof or switch to XLE which has moonroof standard. I have not been a fan of moonroofs but wonder if you have little windnoise when riding. Have not tested out yet but appreciate advice.
  • Options
    Appreciate advice on 07 moonroof? Is it noisy when it is open and you are on highway? I have not tested the car yet - do people think this is a problem? I do not know if there is any air deflector that is part of the moonroof - and if that is needed as an option. Thanks
  • Options
    Just one more point on this - is that car as difficult to obtain as I am led to believe (without moonroof)

thanks
  • Options
    210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    It will likely be difficult to obtain the SE without the moonroof, considering the way Toyota "bundles" options (in fact, not according to what's shown in the brochure).

I have a 2004 Camry with a moonroof, and no doubt the 2007's is similar. There is some wind noise with the roof tilted open, but it's not that extreme at 55-65 mph. If you open it all the way, you'll definitely get more noise, but there is an accessory deflector sold by Toyota (I don't have it).

Still, I often ride around with the roof fully open on my commute (55 mph roads).

You can always leave the roof closed and just enjoy the view by opening the sunshade!
  • Options
    swong6swong6 Member Posts: 9
    Been busy reading the owners manual like crazy and need everyone's insight. My new 2007 Camry LE with V6 came with a total of three (3) keys...2 with wireless and the remaining valet key which is NOT suppose to open either glovebox or trunk. Can anyone try using their valet key to open a completely locked Camry via the driver side door then once inside use the trunk latch (located on the driver side left door sill) to open the trunk? Did Toyota not think this through properly or did I just find a undocumented means of using a valet key to gain access to the tunk for access everyone's secured valuables?

Can anyone who has had a former Toyota extended warranty let me know how long it took to obtain paperwork from Toyota once they purchased their extended warranty? I got the original 1-piece sales literature from the dealship with limited verbage but would like to know minute details such as do they provide road towing?, loaner rides during a weekend especially if the Camy is in the shop for a protracted stay, etc.

Finally, if and when the 3yr/36k warranty lapses and you get a damaged tire requiring a complete tire replacement does this mean if the tire repair facility somehow damages one of the air presure sensors and a replacement is required, do we have to eat the cost of bringing the vehicle to a Toyota dealership getting rid of the offending air pressure dash light since the replaced tire might or might not have it's original "personized" sensor intact. Sounds simple but in New York City I believe we will fail inspection if there exists either a DTC or any vehicle dash indicator. Tahnks everyone!....
  • Options
    jg6jg6 Member Posts: 70
    Go back and read the manual about the key.

Two-three weeks.

Yes.
  • Options
    Valet Key....correct. The manual is misleading. The valet key will allow entry into the car, which then the floor lever will allow entry into the trunk (even though the valet key doesn't directly open the trunk).

TirePressure.....Each of the 5 tires has a transmitter, which transmits it's 7digit ID# and it's pressure. The TPMS computer monitors these to ensure all are within tolerance. If you have to replace a sensor, be sure to have the tire dealer write down the new ID#. There is a dealer initialization process that they go thru, using a hand held TPMS tool.

The service manual for TPMS, indicates that there is a small black reset button to the left of the glove compartment (after opening it). I haven't personally done this, and proceed further on your own risk....all standard legal and self diagnosis disclaimers apply. It appears that the reset process is as follows. Inflate all the tires to their correct pressure. Turn on the Ignition, hold the reset button for greater than 3 secs. When the initialization begins it will blink the TPMS light 3 times, on and off for a second each. The TPMS ECM will then begin reading the sensors, taking approximately a minute per read. The initialization is completed, when the ECM reads successfully from all 5 sensors the pressure.

Note: it is not real clear to me whether this reset process can be used if a sensor was replaced, or whether this is just used to reset after a low tire pressure detection. There is a separate area of the TPMS service manual, which has a statement that the dealer intialization has to be used to 'register' the new TPMS ID.
  • Options
    Valet Key....

I currently have a 2007 Camry Hybrid with the Smart Key system, and no valet key, so I can't say for sure, but it seems to me that on previous Camry's I have had, most recent 2003, there was a lever in the trunk to deactivate the "inside the car lever", so access to the trunk could be locked out. Can anyone confirm this? (I could be dreaming, as I never had a use for the valet key anyway....)

Isn't that why the folding rear seats have the levers in the trunk???
  • Options
    The only lever in the trunk (I4 LE) that I see, is the safety yellow locked person trunk release. Nothing that I have seen which prevents the trunk from opening with the floor lever.
  • Options
    ok, according to toyotaiguide.com, on page 48 of the owner's manual, it talks about how to provide security for the trunk, by using the key in the trunk lock and turning it to the left, disabling the inside lever.
  • Options
    You are correct...it works! It's actually on p47, and you have to turn the trunk key counterclockwise....and then REMOVE the key from the turned counterclockwise horizontal position. Do not allow the key to turn back to vertical position.

This alleviates Swong 6's concern about being able to get into the trunk, via the valet key.

Thanks....
  • Options
    Thanks....

You're welcome! I knew that there HAD to be a way!
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    For all current and future Camry, Corolla and Solara owners this truck lockout feature has been part of the Toyota line since the early 90's.

The Avalon does it differently because the trunk release is push button.
  • Options
    The intuitive way is Honda's way.
    Simply provide a key lock on the trunk release lever itself.
    No manual-reading required.

http://www.dannann.net/eriamjh/delsol/Images/8.jpg