Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Showing Some Age - 2015 Kia Sedona SX-L Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Posts: 10,112
edited April 2016 in Kia
Showing Some Age - 2015 Kia Sedona SX-L Long-Term Road Test

Our 2015 Kia Sedona is still a staff favorite, but it is starting to show a few signs of its age.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Posts: 863
    Show its age at 14k? Oh geez. I'd understand squeaks at 140k, but there shouldn't be ANY wearing at the point or it'll be a rattlebox before 100k.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Posts: 1,021
    Age? My 14 year old Saab 9-3 with 110k miles has age, and also has no creaks or groans. A 1 model year old vehicle with 14k miles is barely broken in.
  • schen72schen72 Posts: 433
    This doesn't help my preexisting skepticism with Hyundai/Kia build quality.
  • I've always wondered how minivans deal with door fitment & body flex, since as Ed Hellwig pointed out, every minivan has a massive empty space in the middle of the bodyside, and an equally huge door that must fit that space just so. Not having owned a minivan, I wonder if some looseness over time just comes with the territory? Even Honda must make concessions to physics...
  • 5vzfe5vzfe Posts: 161
    schen72 said:

This doesn't help my preexisting skepticism with Hyundai/Kia build quality.

My first car was almost a Kia, and it was a POS for sure with a price tag to match. But my sister's 2010 Forte changed my mind about Kia - at least their lower priced models. 60k and it still feels tightly screwed together.
  • steverstever Posts: 52,462
    I've had a minivan since '89 (three of them). They all develop rattles, kind of like station wagons back in the 60s did. I had a dash squeak in the '99 Quest for a while that I finally fixed with some pasteboard jammed into a fascia gap. Nothing else was consistent. The current '09 Grand Caravan has rear disc brakes (grrr) and I paid to have the anti-rattle gizmo replaced on one pad last year. Now both rear wheels rattle and we just ignore it. We drive a rough half mile bit of gravel every day that really pounds the suspension. The inside is pretty solid at 162,000 miles though.
  • mercedesfanmercedesfan Posts: 365
    Whether people like to it admit or not, but modern cars are way more rattle-prone than new cars were 10 years ago. The combination of increasing use of plastics to keep weight down with incredibly stiff chassis creates a very high likelihood of rattles. I can't remember the last time I was in a car with less than 10K miles that cost below $60k that didn't have a rattle of some kind.
  • cjasiscjasis Posts: 274
    Creaks in the sliding doors can often be cured by lubricating the rubber seals (they are prone to drying out). I think that's normal, especially here in S. cal and is really a maintenance type item. Rattles are a whole different kettle of fish.
  • Whether people like to it admit or not, but modern cars are way more rattle-prone than new cars were 10 years ago. The combination of increasing use of plastics to keep weight down with incredibly stiff chassis creates a very high likelihood of rattles. I can't remember the last time I was in a car with less than 10K miles that cost below $60k that didn't have a rattle of some kind.

Don't know about that. My 2009 Acura has 155,000 miles on it and it's still very tight with only a few buzzing sounds on certain road surfaces. I have no problems with Hyundai/Kia quality. Although my girlfriends Sonata with 60,000 miles on it has a few more trim noises than my Acura. Even then you have to turn the volume down to hear it.
  • Some mini-van doors creak, some groan, some gronk and some moan...

My 2011 Toyota Sienna had driver's side sliding door creaking/gronking/moaning by 6500 miles..it was a first month production vehicle and toyota already had a TSB out to "Replace latching mechanism" under warranty...they also cleaned/siliconed all gaskets...noise went away...

Now have 2013 Sienna...drivers slide sliding door groan/moan/gronk became unbearable by 30,000 miles after a particularly dusty drive in summer 2014. The dealer siliconed the door gaskets, opened up door to clean it...noise got worse as it moaned/groaned on even light acceleration, while cornering (at ludicrously low minivan-like speeds), slowing down. Even when parked with hand pressure on the door it would "moo" or "gronk"...until I sprayed silicone directly INTO the latching mechanism (with the sliding door open and access to the latch through the small gap was possible).

One year later, still silent...bliss.

Recommendations:
    -clean all rubber gaskets
    -spray silicone into door latching mechanism (risky?)
  • steverstever Posts: 52,462
    Honda's Shin-Etsu grease is kind of famous for squeaky sliders.

I've always have had good luck with the occasional wipe-down of the gaskets with a damp cloth, and sometimes a spritz of 303 Protectant.
  • gslippygslippy Posts: 514
    The only squeak in my 09 Sedona comes from the rear hatch hinges while driving. Otherwise, at 88k miles, it's tight.