Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 530xi - 2006

Comments

• bksportbksport Posts: 5
    I also recently took delivery of a 530xi and although they were not available to test drive - I did drive the 530i extensively. I haven't had any electrical problems, but I've been disappointed with the shifting at low speeds in traffic. I didn't notice this at all on the 530i I test drove - but it's very obvious on the all wheel drive. I've talked to the dealership and others have reported the same issue, but there is nothing at this time that really can be done. The AWD also seems to have a vibration in the front at 45-55 that smooths out as you get above 55. The dealership has indicated that it should smooth out as I put more miles on the car.

It's an awesome car but I'm not sure that the XI version is really as smooth as the 530I. I'm curious if others are experiencing the same thing
  • anthonypanthonyp Posts: 1,860
    We also have the wagon.....I noticed the shimmy you mention almost exctly as you mentioned....The dealership rotated and balanced the tires..Found one of the little lead weights had fallen off....It is now fine all the time....Further at first the shifting was not taking place as expected....For some reason it shifts just right imo now....I have very little to go on as the last car was a clk ....Incidentally the gas milage is really good for what I expected...Nice engine response when desired and a great driving car with all the good stere ect.....Tony
  • . . .are you unaware that the 530xi could be had with a stick shift? Are you aware that this is perhaps THE LAST CHANCE you may have to have such a fine machine with a stick?

I am the screaming voice in the wilderness and I mean you no disrespect -- but if you were going to get this driving machine with an automatic, the Infiniti M35X or Audi A6 3.2 were also available but were not offered with the stick shift.

Truth be told, much as I like my A6, I love my wife's new X3 with the stick shift -- my supreme disappointment was probably showing when I took a new 530xi out for a test drive and the dealer proclaimed, "no stick shifts have been or will be ordered for inventory."

Nice as the BMW 530xi, it was somehow emasculated with the autotrans.

BMW, like Audi and Mercedes before it, have brought their version of the German Buick to our shores.

And, yes, I WOULD like some cheese with my "whine." :cry:
  • freddybbfreddybb Posts: 95
    You are right on -- my new 530xi with a stick shift is a dream machine. The stick was the number one reason for going with the 5 over other makes. That and the gorgeous exterior looks (yes, I am in the growing number of people who are getting increasingly fond of the new look -- and I have lost count of the people who have praised the look of my new 530xi).
    We sure enjoy the drive in the bmw stationwagon 5...All in all a very nice car Tony
  • I am picking up my 530xi in Munich on 9/15. Have not driven an x drive yet so I am quite curious, Also picking up a 330i at the same time. Owner's circle does not show options for either car. :)
  • We are picking our car up in two weeks. 7% savings plus whatever the dealer will discount is excellent. With ED you also get 2:1 tickets on Lufthansa. Not too shabby.

Generally when you bring the car into a state with sales tax, the will levy the tax when you try to register the vehicle.
  • Did you get a stick? And, what is the deal on the ED -- does it "pay for the trip" to Germany?
  • I am in the growing number of people liking the 530xi. Liking it enough to trade in my '01 530 for it. I'm just about set on the options, but am unsure about comfort access. They say you can start the car with a push button- is that on the key fob or on the dash somewhere?
  • I have a question, I have a 2006 530xi on order. I called BMWNA and the info is the car is it is in the body shop with estimated completion date of 9/8. Does this mean my car will have the september upgrades? IE:the new start/stop button and the enhanced dsc+. My dealer says it will, but I just wanted all of your opions on the matter. Thanks
  • I took delivery of a new 2006 530xi at the end of July and it did NOT have Comfort Access, so that may be something new they have added. In most cars it is called "keyless ignition" which means that there is a push button on the dash that you press to start and stop the engine, as long as the key is inside the car (i.e., in your pocket or bag). I would guess that the BMW system is very similar.
  • dpndpn Posts: 7
    MSRP of $56,070; Invoice is $51,665. Dealer is willing to go $53870. Is this a good deal?
  • That is a great price. The best I can do so far is maybe about $1500 off MSRP for a 530xi. Out of curiosity, where are you getting that price?
    I'm in Colorado. I know my price is $2200 below MSRP but I read another thread where it was stated that we should aim for $1500 above invoice. However, that may have been for the 525i and 530i (RWD sedans). The 530xi wagon recently came out and I'm not sure if one can get a great deal. Also, my wife is hesitant about buying a first year model. Anyone heard if they're going to have an '07 530xi wagon?
  • :) is there a rule of thumb when pricing a vehicle. i have never purchased a new vehicle. i've gotten around in clunkers since college. the pentagon credit unions website states to negotiate up from the invoice price, however messages posted in these forums seem to negotiate down from the msrp. my wife is "locked in" on the 530xi despite the ergonomics and smoother ride of the lexus es300, so at the moment i;m focused on price. is it 1500 above invoice? or 2500 below MSRP? Any price advantage purchasing towards the end of the month or end of the year? Thanks in advance!!
    i say the rule of thumb is get it for a price you're comfortable with. the people on the other forum said to go msrp down because you don't deal with any dealer-specific/hidden/junk fees. since i was also interested in the e350 4-matic wagon and a6 avant, i printed the pricing sheets from consumer reports on all three vehicles. before i got to the dealer, i knew exactly what i was looking for and what a fair price would be. dealers hate it when you come armed.

btw, at all the dealerships, they were telling us that there is NO interest in SUVs since the gas prices skyrocketed...we're not into SUVs but if you are, now's a good time.
    We got three thousand off msrp...They had three wagons (530xi) in stock at the time...Really enjoy the stationwagon, and have had no problems..26 mpg at seventy eight mph and low thirties at forty or so mph...Tony
  • chiuchiu Posts: 1
    I want to order a 2006 530 xi. Where did you get the $3000 discount off list? I live in Madison Wisconsin, and I don't mind buying elsewhere.
    This was in Charleston S.C at rick hendrick Tony ps It just so happened they wanted too sell the car so it went easy..End of month, but that may be a `wives tale`
  • dtd07dtd07 Posts: 19
    Try looking at a fleet management company in your area. Has long has
    you don't contact a dealership. these are an independent company that
    order cars and turcks for other companys some even order for induviduals.
    Here in the Pacific NW I will always by from them- I only go to a
    dealer for test drives, or to see the car. These fleet company don't have
    cars to show everyone-all are special order.
    http://www.bridgeportautogroup.com/
    in addition you get invoice price plus 1%-shipping to Wisconsin is
    another question. It might help if just drop Bridgeport Auto Gourp an
    e-mail. They might find a fleet management company in your
    area.
    good luck. :D
  • This is one point of view. And, discounts are not to be disregarded. Yet, here in Cincinnati, a local fleet buyer can get you a deeply discounted vehicle -- but I have found that if your discount would allow the dealer even a penny profit, so to speak, they will match it.

I find value ($) in the relationship with the dealer, his/her salesreps and service advisors and managers. I generally only buy from "a store" where there is an owner at least sometimes in residence.

Here in Cincinnati at the BMW Store (it's real name) the owner is often on the premises. The sales reps have been there for years and years and years, some for decades.

The relationship, leave it at that, has value.

Don't pay more than you have to, of course. But recognition of the monetary and perhaps non-monetary value of the "perks" that you may want, need or at least appreciate, may make you consider or reconsider the fleet approach.

Just a thought. :shades:
  • The cover story in today's (Friday 9/16) Wall Street Journal Weekend Journal is entitled "Luxury Cars Go Off Road". And the lead-in to the story mentions someone who purchased a 530xi recently. No prizes for guessing who :-)
  • Did anyone read the WSJ article on 9/16 that said the 530xi could not advance on ice? They put it against a Zamboni ice machine and the Zamboni one. Has anyone driven this car in icy conditions? I was just about to buy a new 530xi to replace my 530i and then I read this article.
  • I just got a 530xi 6 weeks ago with all the options except the sport package, car is performing flawlessly.
    As far as the WSJ article is concerned, IMO, I don't think any car would go straight on ice.
    The car is too new since it only came out in May this year so I don't think anyone had time to experience what the car would do in winter.
    As for you, if you live in areas with bad winters, there is no question a 530xi will perform much better than a 530i, but whatever you decide, good luck and enjoy.
  • tcoztcoz Posts: 16
    I just got mine for $1000 UNDER invoice. MSRP of $56,330, invoice $51,800, my price $50,800.
  • bdr127bdr127 Posts: 950
    I just got mine for $1000 UNDER invoice. MSRP of $56,330, invoice $51,800, my price $50,800.

I don't want to call you a liar, but how did you get a price under invoice? BMW doesn't have holdback or anything like that, so "invoice" is their true invoice. I can't imagine a dealer would sell a hot and limited-availability car like the 530xiT for a loss...... The only way that is possible is if they really under-allowed on your trade-in car.
    Yes, please let us know where you got it from. For that price, I'd be willing to fly out there.
    My local dealer has it posted on his website. They got four of them in about 8 weeks ago and hadn't sold one. The owner wants to move at least two of them out. As for the price, I thought the same as you until I found out that even though BMW does not have a "holdback" as such, the dealer is rebated 2.5% of the total MSRP for things such as cleanliness, selling a certain number of cars, knowledge of staff, etc AND they get up to another 2.5% for their CSI scores. That's why they're so intent on getting "perfect 5's" on those scores. When you take that into account, he's making about $1800 on my car which is being delivered to my house on Friday. BTW, I have a long-term relationship with this dealer and have bought three new cars in the last three years alone, although that doesn't have anything to do with the price. I had been looking at the car for a couple of weeks and just ran across the special on the website. I believe they still have two white ones and a black one. I'll be happy to give you the dealer's web address if we can do that here. I recently had my message removed on another thread for mentioning my sales associate's name. Let me know.
  • bdr127bdr127 Posts: 950
    My local dealer has it posted on his website.

And your local dealer is.............
    www.levinbmw.com. New Inventory>View Our Specials
    Also, I didn't have a trade-in
This discussion has been closed.