Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What is not to like here?

victork3victork3 Member Posts: 2
edited October 2016 in Toyota
I am in a predicament - whether to move forward with the Mirai or not. My biggest issue with the car is how it looks. Question for me is whether the dollar savings justify putting up with how it looks.

Financially it looks like a winner whether one leases it or purchases outright.

Is purchase better?

If I purchase...
$58,335 less $5,000 (CA Resources Board rebate) less $8,000 (Fed Credit) less ($7,500 instant rebate) means the real out of pocket expense is $34,845.

0% financing, $7,500 instant rebate means a monthly financing charge of ~$580.

Over 36 months this would mean having to pay $6,480 in total finance charges.

Assuming the car loses an unheard of three quarters of its value. You could sell the car for $14,580. Leaving you with a tidy profit of $8,100.

Add to this the $15,000 worth of free fuel card Toyota gives you, all maintenance paid, 24/7 assistance, 7 days rental per year anywhere in the country....why would one not get the car.

Lease details are....
The lease deal is as follows:

MSRP: 58335 (no discount is offered and dealers aren't budging)
36-month lease, 12 k miles per year
$3649 down, plus tax, license, and registration (no security deposit)
$499 per month, plus tax (9.25% where I live)

There is a $5,000 rebate from CA Air Resources Board that will basically wipe out the drive-offs. The check arrives about 2 months after purchase. The car has an 8 year/10k warranty on the propulsion system.

Lease comes with lots of other goodies, like free fuel for 3 years (lease or purchase), 7 days of rental car per year, 24/7 roadside assistance, all maintenance paid.

Best Answers

Answers

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,700
    I would never consider a vehicle with such limited fueling options. Hydrogen stations are EXTREMELY limited. Why put yourself in such a situation?
  • victork3victork3 Member Posts: 2
    Agreed fueling is a real issue. Assuming my travel patterns could live with getting to fueling stations and not having range anxiety. Are the economics an overwhelming yes?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is looking to talk with Toyota Mirai owners to learn about their experiences with the vehicle, both positive and negative. If you'd like to share your stories, please reach out to PR@edmunds.com by no later than Monday, October 24, 2016.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews