Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Insurance and NJ No-Point Ticket option

Comments

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    OK, on issue #1, if it was 36 in a 25, that's just 2 points, not 4.

As far as the accident ... I think careless driving was pretty lenient. He could have hit you with wreckless or whatever else he pleased if he wanted to be a jerk. So, personally, I'd pay it and get on with my life. You'll wind up with 4 points total when added to the speeding ticket above. I just don't see you going to court and them changing the ticket because, really, this would almost be admitting the cop is at fault for the accident, and they are not going to let that happen.

A mark on the wheel for $1K?? Are you sure that's all the damage there was? Because then we're only talking about a new wheel and maybe a new tire ... .so maybe $300? There has to be more damage for $1k. But, in any case, your insurance adjuster will check out the damage and make the call.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    stevesteinstevestein Member Posts: 263
    When I started this discussion it was to discuss options for safe drivers who had one mishap and wanted to keep a clear record. It sure has morphed, but that's OK in a free cyberspace. Reading some of these questions does make me wonder. Trying to keep you license after it's been just reinstated, and having 10+ new points and then clocked at 100 mph on the GSP. Get off the road before you kill someone!
  • Options
    pha1226pha1226 Member Posts: 1
    It's too late but I wanted to share my experience from Municipal Court in Pennsauken yesterday. I HIGHLY recommend getting an attorney if you can afford it. I had a 4 point speeding ticket (49 mph in a 25 mph zone). Since I had a previous 4 point ticket (2 1/2 years ago), I was afraid of my insurance rates going up. I paid an attorney $350. flat fee. When we went to court, he talked to the prosecutor and arranged a deal for me to plead guilty to a no point violation of driving with unsafe equipment. The total fine of $164 (less than my speeding ticket). I paid my fine and was out of there in less than 1 1/2 hours. There are a lot of no point violations so don't think the $400 no point plea is your only option.
  • Options
    rangers_nutrangers_nut Member Posts: 16
    $400 cost of court? no lol its usually $30 cost of court, and he'll prolly have you pay like $30 to 2 or 3 different funds setup by the state.

Personally, I'd fight it. Did you notice if the police car has a video camera in the windshield? Most cops do these days. Fight the ticket. Talk it down to a "unsafe driving"

And people have to realize something, I was told this by 2 lawyers, it is very hard to prove that someone was driving recklessly. Careless driving is very broad and can be proven easily, but reckless is a tough one.
  • Options
    But he WAS cited for Careless, not Reckless.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    sonycsonyc Member Posts: 9
    Hello all,
    Thought I would share my experience. Got a ticket in May, first one in 10 yrs, speeding - 83 in 65 mph. I was speeding, so I had no real argument with the ticket. Went to court, they had a plea agreement form, got the 4 points dropped with the unsafe driving violation - $250 surcharge. That seems to be the standard fare at all courts, from what I understand.
    I asked the prosecutor if there was anything else I could plead to that didn't carry points, and he said he couldn't do it.

Incidentally, I would request pha1226 to please post the violation code for the lesser charge that was received.

Regards,
    Sony.
  • Options
    vthuppilvthuppil Member Posts: 16
    Yes, you should check with your DMV. I live in Pennsylvania, and Pennsylvania does not assess points for any minor traffic offense (including speeding) outside the state. I don't know if New York is like that.
  • Options
    jlmillerjlmiller Member Posts: 2
    How do points get put on your license? I know you get 3 points off for having no moving violation for 1 year. But one year from what? The actual time you get the ticket? Here’s my story:

I got a 4 point speeding ticket June 28 last year. About 3 weeks before the anniversary of that incident, I got another 4 pointer. I’m pleading not quilty for this year‘s ticket. My court date is at the end of August. So my question is was last’s years ticket reduced to 3 or not?
  • Options
    Oh, so you are curious if going to court will push the incident past the 1-year mark. Hmmmm... good question. I BELIEVE it goes by the date of the incident. HOWEVER, if that violation were to change in court .... I don't know. If nobody else chimes in with an answer, maybe you can contact the DMV?? If you do find an answer outside these forums, I'd be curious what it is, so please post back.

• Options
    jeez i must have been tired lol dunno why i mixed up reckless and careless ... lol probably just thinking about my case
  • Options
    Uhm ... I believe it goes from the date that your prior ticket was issued. Check below, i'm going to post a copy of my drivers abstract, take a peek at 9-4-02 and 9-6-03 ... On each of these days, I was involved in an accident. 1 year and 2 days apart. Court was 10-4-02 for the first accident and 10-10-03 for the second. So from what I can see on the anniversary of my accident in 02 a credit of 2 points was issued. 2 days later i was in my second accident. 1 Year after my second accident on 9-6-04 I was credited another 2 points image
  • Options
    debcar1debcar1 Member Posts: 3
    i recently got a 2 point careless driving ticket. wondering whether its worth goignt o court to plead it down to 0. The lawyers that I spoke to said that 0 point ticket could mean a $400 fine. should i simply pay -off the 85 dollar ticket or plead guilty and get 2 points and pay $400. This is my first ticket in 7 years. AQlso i changed my insurance company 5 days before the accident and this accident was on my old insurance. i have not informed my new insurance company. i'm sure they'll find out, but it depends on when. I don't want to inform them. I'm told that for two points on a clean record, insurance premiums typically do notn rise. Also i've heard that i can alternatively reduce the points by doing a defensive driving course. HELP!
  • Options
    i recently got a 2 point careless driving ticket. wondering whether its worth goignt o court to plead it down to 0. The lawyers that I spoke to said that 0 point ticket could mean a $400 fine. should i simply pay -off the 85 dollar ticket or plead guilty and get 2 points and pay $400. This is my first ticket in 7 years. AQlso i changed my insurance company 5 days before the accident and this accident was on my old insurance. i have not informed my new insurance company. i'm sure they'll find out, but it depends on when. I don't want to inform them. I'm told that for two points on a clean record, insurance premiums typically do notn rise. Also i've heard that i can alternatively reduce the points by doing a defensive driving course. HELP!
  • Options
    no need to ask twice. ;)

OK, I'm really confused.... what accident? Was there an accident you aren't telling us about? Or, when you say accident, are you referring to that careless driving ticket? Also, if you changed insurance 5 days BEFORE getting the ticket (or having an accident??), then it is on your NEW insurance. Unless you mean something like you requested a switch, but it didn't take effect yet.(???)

• Options
    i had an accident; no one was hurt; i got a careless driving ticket as a result. at the time i was on the old insurance which was expiring in 5 days after which i was going to switch to the new insurance. so the accident costs were born by teh old insurance.

in any case, my question is do i go to court to reduce from 2 to 0 points (and paya $400 fine) or just pay off the $85 ticket and get the two points and later take a defensive driving course to reduce the points?
  • Options
    jlmillerjlmiller Member Posts: 2
    Just an FYI, called DMV and they said they give you the point deduction a year after the actual incident not when the ticket gets posted.
  • Options
    good info. thanks.

• Options
    OK. Now i'm with ya.

Well, the accident is going to affect your insurance, no doubt. The points by themselves probably wouldn't, but the points PLUS the accident could be very bad for you. Defensive driving will NOT take those points off of your insurance (they will only take the points off your license). In light of all this, I would definitely try to get 0 points in court.

• Options
    exmexm Member Posts: 52
    Ok - I've read all pages, very informative!

This morning I received a ticket for ‘careless driving’: I turned from the Holland Tunnel Entrance into a gas station and I drove over a fire lane for about 10 feet. A cop literally jumped out behind a parked car and ticketed me. He changed the ticket from ‘Driving in a Fire Lane’ to ‘Careless Driving’ (according to him careless driving is a lesser offence, which caries 2 points and a $85 fine). According to him, appearing in court and explaining the situation should wave at least the points.

Now, after reading this I'm pretty sure that the 2 points will be waived. But does that also mean I've to pay the $250 no-point offense or will it be part of the plea deal? I'm just wondering if a $85 ticket plus $250 plus court costs plus day off will offset any negative consequences of having points. Seems that most people here say 'avoid point at ALL costs'.

I have a clean NJ driving record and am insured with Geico...
  • Options
    I always say avoid the points when you can because you never know when you'll get more. Its that simple. Can you be sure you will be point-free over the next 3 years, thereby absorbing those 2 points now and never having to worry about them? OR, is there at least a chance that, next year, or the year after, you could get a 4-pointer and not be able to get out of it .... effectively raising your total insurance points to 6, which would really affect you?

• Options
    Thanks for your reply. Do you know if I can strike a deal or if I have to pay the $250 fee?
  • Options
    No, I have no idea. It all depends on the prosecutor that day, if he/she had a good weekend, what he/she ate for breakfast .... you get the picture. good luck.

• Options
    iheartnjdevilsiheartnjdevils Member Posts: 3
    Does the 0-Point "Unsafe Driving" ticket still issue INSURANCE points? I'm being told by my insurance company that it doesn't. My fiance who has Geico says that it does. My insurance company will be dropping me after the policy ends (I have over 7 insurance points but 0 motor vehicle points, ugh) and I'd like to know if it's work pleading down or not. If I'm going to get insurance points regardless, then I'd rather not pay the ridiculous surcharges.
  • Options
    I'd certainly take the word of my actual insurance company over someone whose expertise comes from just paying for their insurance.

But maybe it varies by company. If you plan on switching to Geico yourself, why don't YOU call them and ask?

• Options
    Typically I would believe my insurance company over someone else. It was the fact that the prosecutor told me it would still carry insurance points.

I don't plan on switching to Geico. They are WAY to picky. I had my license suspended because of a late fee on a ticket I didn't know I owed. I paid it ASAP but Geico tells me this still affects my insurance quote...

I had serveral friend call their insurance companies and all but Geico said Unsafe Driving tickets do not affect insurance policies. Just and FYI to anyone else interested in knowing :)
  • Options
    rwassefrwassef Member Posts: 1
    A few weeks ago I got pulled over for "improper passing" in NJ a four point ticket. I was refered by a friend to a traffic lawyer in NJ. He is only charging $250 and will refund my $ if he is not able to remove all 4 points. Sounds a little fishy to me, but lets say he does remove all four points, does that mean no insurance points? Even if he knocks it down to 2 points and only 2 show up on the insurnace I can take a course and remove those? Very concerned as to what would happen to my insurance, right now i'm not the owner of the car and the insurance is primarly in someone else's name, i'm listed as secondary driver. However looking into buying a new car, concerned with insurance impact. Appreciate your advice in advance.
  • Options
    I received an Improper Driving ticket in North Brunswick a year and a half ago. I tried to plead "Unsafe Driving" but they would only allow me to plead "Careless Driving". Everyone who had a lawyer was able to plead to "Unsafe Driving" and they got to speak with the prosecuter first. BUT

Lawer Fees + $400 Unsafe Driving Ticket most likely more than what your insurance would go up for a year. Check with your insurance company.
  • Options
    A course does not remove insurance points, only license points.

Insurance points are with you, win, lose, or draw, for 3 years from the date of violation.

• Options
    Ok, you originally said fiance and nothing about a prosecutor, hence my confusion.

Anyway, like you said, you have checked with insurance companies and they told you "no," so I guess that's yer answer.

good luck.

• Options
    e_flye_fly Member Posts: 1
    Dayton123, I Just recieved a improper passing 4pointer, and thinking about going to court to plea. I wasn't worried too much about it until I found out that it's 4 points. I was pulled over on 287 trying to get on Rt 1 South. What happened with you? Courious, did you plead yourself down to 0, or did you lawyer up? What happened?? Give me some hope!! Thanks.
  • Options
    craigy111wcraigy111w Member Posts: 1
    Hi all.
    I got pulled for speeding in NJ. However, this was the first time i'd ever been pulled over, and the policeman was reasonable and the ticket i ended up with was a ticket for unclear plates. I plan to pay this promptly, but would like to clear up a few things.
    Unclear plates is a no point ticket? Is that correct? Does that apply to my license and my insurance? Is it even something i would have to declare to insurance companies at all, or is it the same as a parking ticket??
    Thanks in advance for the help.
  • Options
    its not a moving violation. no points. nothing to worry about.

• Options
    yen2yen2 Member Posts: 1
    Recently I had an accident in New Jersey and got a ticket of "Careless Driving" with 2 points. It was my fault and I do not have much strong evidence to defense.
    But I DO need to get rid of the title of "Careless Driving" and I would like to get
    rid of points too if possible.

Most friends told me if I show up in court, I will see prosecutor first and may be get
    plea bargaining. But I am wondering how about if they let me see judge first. Should I plea guilty or not guilty to get chance for some bargaining stuff?
  • Options

• Options
    Ok, silly question... I'm trying to call the court in Jersey City (201 209 7600) to arrange a hearing but I can't seem to get someone on the phone. Their phone system list a couple of options and if I choose 'traffic and moving violations' I get a tape recording with some non relevant data. Pressing '0' for the operator keeps on giving me the message that the operator is 'not available'. Do I need to write them or something? Or do I need to be transferred to the prosecutor (highly unlikely) or just call back another day (I've been trying for 2 days) and hopefully get an operator on the phone?

This is my first time doing this: can't you tell?
  • Options
    jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    Why dont you go there?
  • Options
    and take a day off? I should be able to do this by phone right? I'm not talking about the hearing but about scheduling it!
  • Options
    I finally got them on the phone and will go there in 2 weeks... I'll post my experiences!
  • Options
    r0de099r0de099 Member Posts: 35
    I was ticketed for improper passing in nj i have a ny license $85.00 i have to pay and i did some research on line about the violation and carries a 4 points record to my license.Is it mean that besides the fine i will get 4 points on my license also?
    Can i fight for the points in court to lower it down?
  • Options
    lm1546lm1546 Member Posts: 1
    I got a ticket for doing 52 in a 35 but paid the ticket and got 4 points, but my question is- Is my insurance going to go up?
  • Options
    jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    Heck ya.
  • Options
    ktallaktalla Member Posts: 2
    Hello Everyone,

I got a speeding ticket in NJ for doing 79 in a 55 zone. I have a pennsylvania license and when I called Penndot they said points for speeding do not get transferred to PA from out-of-state. I also read in the DLC document
    (http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/fs-dlc.pdf )
    that minor violations such as speeding do not get transferred from out of state to PA. I was not exactly sure about whether I should pay my ticket online without going to the court or plead not guilty /plead bargain?
    Will my Insurance go up? Will this ticket effect my future road travel in Jersey?

Thanks...
  • Options
    abianchiniabianchini Member Posts: 1
    I received a speeding ticket on June 28th for driving 59 in a 25 mph zone. Yes, I know it's a horrible ticket. I thought that the speed limit was 45 mph in the area as I did not frequently travel on that road on the way to work. I should have been concentrating more on my speed but was rather thinking about work that day, getting married in the next month and everything I had to do for both. My court date is set for August 22nd and I am required to attend court in Princeton Borough, NJ because of the rate of speed that I was travelling at. I am scared to death that I am going to have my license suspended because of this ticket and was looking for any advice that any of you could give me. I only have 2 points on my license since the year 2000 and have a clean driving record besides those points.
  • Options
    ktallaktalla Member Posts: 2
    I pleaded not guilty and have a court date for Aug 24th. Do I have to anything special to plea bargain or is everyone given this option.

Thanks...
  • Options
    cargirl82cargirl82 Member Posts: 1
    I am in the same situation right now. Just got a 4 point speeding ticket on the NJ Turnpike (80 mph in 65 mph zone). And I have an earlier 2 point violation which I got in Jan 2003. And I have 5 insurance points because of an accident recently. Do not want to risk getting any more insurance points so I would like to get rid of this 4 point violation somehow. I was thinking of using a lawyer instead of just going to court myself. Could you tell me how you found your attorney? I'll be going to Westampton Municipal Court.

Thanks
  • Options
    Got back from court yesterday (Jersey City). Accepted a plea bargain to change my original Careless Driving/$85/2 points ticket to 'Blocking an intersection'/$120+court fee (the judge brought it down to $100)/0 points

Even although this will go on my DMV record, hopefully this will not affect my insurance.
  • Options
    av101av101 Member Posts: 1
    I recently received two 2-point tickets in NJ for failing to yield to an officer and a pedestrian in a crosswalk (officer was directing traffic - pretty sure he waved me left rather than stop). Tickets are $85 each. I have a NY license and am insured by GEICO.

Understand I can go to NJ courts and plead not guilty (good driving record, fact that officer waved me through), but hassle/cost, not sure if it's worth it.

My questions are: 1) Will I receive NY state license points (I believe that I will not per the NY DMV site) and 2) Will GEICO be notified of the NJ points - seems like they would not since this won't be on my NY license record, but not sure how this works. Assuming GEICO will find out about the points if i just pay the tickets, is there a way I can remove/avoid the points. In short, if I'm not getting NY license points and my insurance won't be notified/go-up, then I'll just pay the fines. Otherwise, may make sense to contest...

Thx
  • Options
    Your questions sounds familiar. Basically, going to court will probably ensure that:
    - you will get no points (most likely - however, you do have 2 violations)
    - you will probably get one of the tickets dismissed

As far as I know, recently there has been a change in laws and any out of state points will be transferred (up to a maximum of 2?). Regardless, this will go on your DMV record and GEICO will be notified. There's conflicting information:

"New York State Insurance Department just called me back, and they
    verified that all northern states have a "reciprocity agreement"
    between states. This means they do ask for previous addresses, and
    share violation data with each other."
    (see http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=27842)

However, NYS DMV lists:
    Out-of-state traffic violations: Except for Ontario and Quebec, points are not added to your NYS driver record if you commit an out-of-state traffic violation. Points can appear on your NYS driver record if you commit a traffic violation in Ontario or Quebec.
    (see http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/license.htm#points)

The only way to make sure to avoid points at all, is to go to court. But no one , even not Geico - also my insurance company, could answer that with a zero pointer traffic conviction, your insurance doesn't go up. It's a long shot, but when my insurance policy gets renewed (which will be December), I'll let everyone know if my 0-point plea bargain affects my insurance.
  • Options
    tomahawk27tomahawk27 Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday i got a ticket for careless driving , because my headlights were not on...
    initially the officer insisted that i was driving at 60.which i definetly was not on a 35 speed limit. After some arguments ,he gave me a ticket for "careless driving"I went 2 blocks from my residence in NJ to buy grocery and this happened on the way back.I have a KS license and i moved recently to NJ and bought a car, my insurance and car registration is from NJ albeit my license is from KS.This is my first violation ever in any state.How does the "careless driving" violation affect me with DMV points or Insurance points.I do intend to take a NJ license in the coming week(s) since I believe I need to get a NJ license.
  • Options
    abc125abc125 Member Posts: 1
    Two weeks back I got three tickets at once

1. Driving at 45 on 35 Mile Zone
    2. Not stopping at Stop sign ( Cop told me I slowed but did not stop completely)
    3. Unclear Number plates ( I moved to NJ 4 months back. I was not able to remove my older number plates. So i was displaying my new number plates on windshield front and back.

It looks like I will get 4+ points. Can I plead not guilty and reduce these points to 0? Can I do it without lawer? All these tickets have same court date. Though cop told me I don't have to be there, I need to go only if i plead guilty.

Please help me with your advice , experience etc.