Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently purchased a new minivan? A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by July 2 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

140 MPH at Indianapolis With Carroll Shelby 25 Years Ago - 2015 Dodge Viper GT Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Posts: 10,059
edited May 2016 in Dodge
140 MPH at Indianapolis With Carroll Shelby 25 Years Ago - 2015 Dodge Viper GT Long-Term Road Test

I've driven many Vipers over the years, but every time I drive our long-term 2016 Dodge Viper GT I think back to that Indy 25 years ago.

Read the full story here

Comments

• iamthestigiamthestig Philadelphia, PAPosts: 85
    I was just 13 years old in 1991 and I still remember seeing the Viper pace the field at the Brickyard. Thanks for sharing!
  • banhughbanhugh Posts: 315
    Damn, you rode a first generation Viper on a track, pushing it in the rain and lived to tell the story! The article title should be: We're alive people! Or something similar...
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    Lucky he was driving! Vipers are tricky at speed, to say the least.
  • subytrojansubytrojan Monterey Park, CaliforniaPosts: 120
    Great storytelling, Scott!

Funny how a Canadian-assembled Camaro ended up pacing the 500 in 1993! :P
  • phildriverphildriver Posts: 4
    Why can't we find good automotive writing like this anymore?
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Posts: 860
    banhugh said:

Damn, you rode a first generation Viper on a track, pushing it in the rain and lived to tell the story! The article title should be: We're alive people! Or something similar...

No, he was driving a PRE PRODUCTION 1st gen Viper. I'm surprised he didn't catch on fire from the heat too.
  • throwbackthrowback Posts: 445
    That Oldham kid has a future in automotive writing.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 9,004
    We're going to the race this year. 140 would be scary enough in a production vehicle.. I bet 230 sitting a couple of inches off the ground gets your attention B)

Edmunds Moderator

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Just purchased or leased a vehicle? Write your own vehicle review

Meet your fellow owners and discuss your vehicles in our Owners Clubs

• Chuckling that he was mopping floors and a week later he was going on a manufacturer-provided ride and writing a feature article for publication. I guess it helps to have an "in."